Radio and football racists

Soidee

I would be interested to know the age of the people in this thread.

I believe that there is probably a correlation.

It would be good to know the race of the people in this thread too, that way we can make correlations about that particular race and the comments made and use those correlations to make assumptions about all people who are of that race.

• Like 6

now there is a prejudicial, biased comment if ever i saw one :lol:

I was looking for more information on that metric, since my sample size of people I know in real life who would consider booing Goodes is very small, yet follows the hypothesis I stated.

I agree, but I figured it was much easier to ask for ages than get into that bunfight!

I actually don't think age work at all though.

Goodes, earning a million a year playing for one of the league's best teams, is having a cry about being booed.

Meanwhile, I'm here drowning in a pool of my own despair after watching yet another Melbourne loss.

CRY ME A RIVER!

• Like 3

I would be interested to know the age of the people in this thread.

I believe that there is probably a correlation.

Not sure you can apply that... I'm 63, living in Sydney and NOT a Goodes or Swans fan (excluding Newtown Swans)... but I see the booing as racially motivated (initially) and now it has grown legs and become a "thing to do" for many, which unfortunately lets the racists in the community feel vindicated and empowered.

Apparently (according to media) it did appear to coincide with his nomination as Australian of the Year and it did not occur in the immediate wake of the Collingwood supporter incident and did not happen at that years GF against West Coast.

It would be good to know the race of the people in this thread too, that way we can make correlations about that particular race and the comments made and use those correlations to make assumptions about all people who are of that race.

Haha.

I think it would be interesting to know all sorts of things about the people who boo Adam Goodes, because then maybe we could get some hard evidence for what is triggering it. At the moment people are hiding behind the anonymity of a mob.

• Like 1

I think it would be interesting to know all sorts of things about the people who boo Adam Goodes, because then maybe we could get some hard evidence for what is triggering it. At the moment people are hiding behind the anonymity of a mob.

I went to the WC v Syd game with some mates who are WC members. My mate and his brother who are Garletts booed Goodes.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

No doubt, one peanut from the game on weekend who got kicked out said things that I believe are clearly racist about Goodes. But my point is, you can't lump everyone into that same basket and assume they are all racist like that guy.

As I was hinting to above with my previous comment, making assumptions about large portions of the community who have a common characteristic (in this case they all boo Adam Goodes) is partly what racism (or any discrimination) is about.

• Like 1

Absolute Gold!

I have to say, I didn't like Roos' comment last night. Essentially, it went, "if Adam feels the booing is racism, then it has to be racism." That's a dangerous line of thinking.

I agree some of the booing is undoubtedly racism. Some is people simply disliking the guy. Some is people not wanting to see an Indigenous Australian standing up for their rights so vocally. And some is people who simply dislike his cheap acts as a footballer and nothing more. After all, he's a great player and doesn't need to resort to the cheap off-the-ball nonsense.

Nonetheless, just throwing a racism blanket over everyone won't fix a complex situation.

• Like 2

I was looking for more information on that metric, since my sample size of people I know in real life who would consider booing Goodes is very small, yet follows the hypothesis I stated.

you're just digging a bigger hole, bob :lol:

When Lumumba was booed by Collingwood fans on Queen Birthday was that racially inspired?

Better to say nothing and let people think you are a fool than say something and prove it.

• Like 1

Its tough for you PC types when reality doesn't fit the narrative isn't it

Reality is what we see Munga.

Yours is different to mine which is different to everyone else's.

I note that you still cant answer why the booing started when Goodes took a stand for his people?

Reality is what we see Munga.

Yours is different to mine which is different to everyone else's.

I note that you still cant answer why the booing started when Goodes took a stand for his people?

Can you prove this? I'll happily accept it if you can.

Like I mentioned before, in that game in 2010 Goodes was booed when kicking for goal, at times he was booed before 2013. See the video link I posted.

Ive never said it didn't start then but i believe he's been a target long before.

Ive never said some of the people booing aren't racist. Who are we to say what others are thinking.

But i object to this blanket statement that the booing is only due to racism. that ignores the larger issue that he is a prat.

The other thing i object to is people trying to label what other peoples motivations are.

Ive booed a lot more white players trust me.

• Like 2

If a black player deserves boing next week but is politically incorrect to boo Goodes then what are we to do? Should everyone sit quietly for fear of being labelled a racist? Really?

I am a staunch opponent of political correctness. I am quite possibly the only white person on this forum thats been the subject of racism. Heavy racism to be exact during my time in the Middle East. So don't mistake me for a supporter of racism but to give a W*nker a free pass because of his skin color is garbage

• Like 1

Can you prove this? I'll happily accept it if you can.

Like I mentioned before, in that game in 2010 Goodes was booed when kicking for goal, at times he was booed before 2013. See the video link I posted.

I agree he was boo'd at times before, the persistent, loud, booing that goes on today started to a small degree after he called out the girl in the crowd and then really ramped up when he became Aus of the year. I remember it clearly as I was appalled that fellow Australians would be so outwardly racist, but then I realised that so many people didn't realise they were, as shown by the incredible number of people that still don't understand why you don't call indigenous people Ape's and how that is different to calling Dunstall a silverback.!

If a black player deserves boing next week but is politically incorrect to boo Goodes then what are we to do? Should everyone sit quietly for fear of being labelled a racist? Really?

I am a staunch opponent of political correctness. I am quite possibly the only white person on this forum thats been the subject of racism. Heavy racism to be exact during my time in the Middle East. So don't mistake me for a supporter of racism but to give a W*nker a free pass because of his skin color is garbage

It comes down to the motivation for the booing Munga, you can boo who you like but don't do it for racist reasons. I also agree that many people booing aren't doing it because they are racist, but that was the motivator at the start, the people booing now, for what ever reason, have unknowingly joined a group of racists to boo a black bloke but they hide behind other reasons. As I said earlier, it is like joining the Klu Klux Klan for the great outfits, and ignoring the blatant racism of your fellow members.

Surely it is better to not join the group at all than associate with people of such ill repute. Even if you think you are innocent, by being part of the group your are validating the opinions of the others in the group.

When people in this country admit to themselves they are racist the better off this country will become. It's a bit like domestic violence which is rampant across Australia.....head in the sand stuff until someone takes a very brave stand.

If people continue to harass Goodes on field they are racists or uneducated fools who follow mob mentality.

FFS...grow up

• Like 1

-

If you bother to call up and make an an excuse to continue booing Goodes....your a racist!

If you continue to boo Goodes after all this your both a racist and a A grade idiot.

-

Absolute rubbish

• Like 3

I agree he was boo'd at times before, the persistent, loud, booing that goes on today started to a small degree after he called out the girl in the crowd and then really ramped up when he became Aus of the year. I remember it clearly as I was appalled that fellow Australians would be so outwardly racist, but then I realised that so many people didn't realise they were, as shown by the incredible number of people that still don't understand why you don't call indigenous people Ape's and how that is different to calling Dunstall a silverback.!

For the most part I agree, but unless someone can provide proof that that is the motivation for all people who boo him then they are making unfair assumptions about a lot of people.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

Domestic violence is rampant across the world as is racism. I have travelled extensively and this charge of racism gives me the shts. Yes there are racists here but Australia is one of the MOST tolerant societies I've been too.

There is subtle undercurrents of racism as there is in every single society on earth. During my time in West Africa the racism by Arabs against Blacks was insane. It is a reality of humanity but lets not create this myth that its a huge problem in Australia. It exists and over time we are reducing it but we need to stop de legitimising the fight against racism with all this PC crap.

Anyway back to the footy

• Like 3