MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 12

Demonland

We will get smashed because we won't score enough goals, not because Geelong will score too many.

Let's be honest though a large amount of goals are going to be scored against us on Sunday

Jamar or Spencer have to play as a forward. Othwerwise we have raised the white flag before the game and the players will know it and not bother. As bad as that sounds, our list is like that. We gotta believe we can win.

Jamar as a forward? he is just passable as a ruck.

Melbourne team: round 12

B: Daniel Cross, Tom McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Jeremy Howe, Lynden Dunn, Heritier Lumumba
C: Jimmy Toumpas, Dom Tyson, Jack Viney
HF: Jack Watts, Chris Dawes, Billy Stretch
F: Jeff Garlett, Jake Spencer, Angus Brayshaw
FOLL: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Bernie Vince
I/C: Aidan Riley, Alex Neal-Bullen, Rohan Bail, Matt Jones
EMG: Jordie McKenzie, Viv Michie, Dean Terlich
IN: Rohan Bail, Chris Dawes, Jake Spencer, Matt Jones
OUT: Jack Grimes (Hand), Viv Michie (Omitted), Cameron Pedersen (Hand), Jesse Hogan (Soreness)

While I'd rather Hoges to Dawes, I'm actually rapt that Spencer will get another go and we are now certain to win the majority of hitouts and with the way Gawn has been palming them, it's going to take Selwood's best work to stop us getting our fair share of clearances. It also means that if Gawny tires, he can be rested up without any issues as while Spencer is ungainly, he certainly is fit. It also means that Blicavs is going to have work extra hard to have an impact and will be relying on Walker to set him up. I'm assuming now that Watts will go to him in the third-man up situations, as I can see Crossy playing on Stevie J now.

Geelong are also missing heaps so don't get too pessimistic - it's not a cert that we'll get belted and we've certainly picked our best side for the big ground with quite a bit of run.

To me it gets down to whether we are intimidated by venue and history and the trash-talking and umpy pressure that Mackie, Selwood and Stevie J apply.

If we can negate their well-deserved arrogance then we can do some damage.

Don't forget we still have our core midfield group playing - sure we'd all love to see Kent, Hoges, Vanders, Frosty, Garland playing but ultimately most games are decided by clearance dominance.

And with Nat J, Tyson, Vince, Viney plus Riley manning Enright and Crossy on Stevie J, then we have a chance.

We just need Toump, Watts and Stretch to provide the run and carry at this ground and you just never know.

• Like 3

The only positive il take out of this game is that its another game into the likes of Viney Toumpas Brayshaw Tyson Stretch ANB.

Theres our future right there.

but wont they be 'scarred ' !!

My particular concern is that our lot have that unhappy knack of nurturing sluggish out of form teams back into competency.

Given its a milestone game for them i cant see much joy at all.

Not enough cattle of quality to do much im dreading.

What little hope at a noticeable improvement and lift up the ladder i feel is about to topple off the Cunningham Pier !!

• Like 1

While I'd rather Hoges to Dawes, I'm actually rapt that Spencer will get another go and we are now certain to win the majority of hitouts and with the way Gawn has been palming them, it's going to take Selwood's best work to stop us getting our fair share of clearances. It also means that if Gawny tires, he can be rested up without any issues as while Spencer is ungainly, he certainly is fit. It also means that Blicavs is going to have work extra hard to have an impact and will be relying on Walker to set him up. I'm assuming now that Watts will go to him in the third-man up situations, as I can see Crossy playing on Stevie J now.

Geelong are also missing heaps so don't get too pessimistic - it's not a cert that we'll get belted and we've certainly picked our best side for the big ground with quite a bit of run.

To me it gets down to whether we are intimidated by venue and history and the trash-talking and umpy pressure that Mackie, Selwood and Stevie J apply.

If we can negate their well-deserved arrogance then we can do some damage.

Don't forget we still have our core midfield group playing - sure we'd all love to see Kent, Hoges, Vanders, Frosty, Garland playing but ultimately most games are decided by clearance dominance.

And with Nat J, Tyson, Vince, Viney plus Riley manning Enright and Crossy on Stevie J, then we have a chance.

We just need Toump, Watts and Stretch to provide the run and carry at this ground and you just never know.

I sure hope Riley is not manning up Enright.

Jordie McKenzie...

Remarkable.

It makes my faith, which I so want to be firm, feel very shaky.

So we're just going in with Dawes up forward, or is it Spencer as first ruck and Gawn at FF. I guess I wouldn't mind that, Dawes/Gawn was okay last year as a combo IIRC.

They were a horrible combo. We got smashed every time. Gawn cannot play forward. Defenses rebound off him like nobody's business.
  • Like 1

My particular concern is that our lot have that unhappy knack of nurturing sluggish out of form teams back into competency.

Given its a milestone game for them i cant see much joy at all.

Not enough cattle of quality to do much im dreading.

What little hope at a noticeable improvement and lift up the ladder i feel is about to topple off the Cunningham Pier !!

Could have said it better beelz by can't be stuffed!

I agree with u.

It's gunna get ugly.

Edited by DemonOX

They were a horrible combo. We got smashed every time. Gawn cannot play forward. Defenses rebound off him like nobody's business.

Yep, Max is a ruck who can rest for minimal time forward. Spencer is the same...not sure how we will hide them.

• Like 2

Gonna be what it's gonna be. I don't get all the doom and gloom. Looking forward to the odd cameo, and hopefully, some more signs of progress from the future.

It's about winning the battle in the longer term, not getting too hung up on the odd skirmish.

• Like 1

Surely Gawn is a better forward than Spencer though?

He's also a better ruck, though.

Tricky situation. I understand the need for more talls, but there's a big chance we're going to carry one or both of them.

I'd be inclined to use Spencer in the forward line more than Gawn - firstly because Gawn has really added something in the ruck for the last few weeks, secondly because Gawn's biggest weakness is his marking, but mostly just because it's an arrangement we haven't tried before. Spencer as chief ruck with Gawn as the forward is a strategy that we've tried before and it has sucked. This way will probably suck too, but we've got to try something new to make the combination work.

Surely Gawn is a better forward than Spencer though?

Would have thought Jamar is the best forward option out of the three so interesting to see they didn't bring him in (must think getting games into the younger ruckman is more important)

Give him around 75% game time, maybe sub him out. I'd rather we keep our supporters interested rather than just pull out life support for a game in Geelong. Of course, this is just me speculating this soreness is very minor

Hamstring tightness.

I would rest him...we keep our supporters interested for the rest of the season rather than just one game.

• Like 2