Paul Roos - don't give us more excuses!

Soidee

The axe must fall hard at years end. Harder than it has before...

Rubbish, mate. They will not be cutting 12 or so again. Expect 6-8 to go at the end of this year.

Rubbish, mate. They will not be cutting 12 or so again. Expect 6-8 to go at the end of this year.

Strongly disagree, I can honestly say I wasn't part of the chorus that kept repeating "look at how much depth we have" in the preseason training threads. I think the limit is 11 and the problem for us we have a few players tied up until the end of next season possibly on big money. Whatever you think of Grimes as a player he is clearly on the out. He isn't part of midfield rotations and has been left out of the side again. An injured Salem still to come back pushes him even further away. I think a fresh start is needed for Jack. Dawes is another one I'd be shopping around to the Lions, not sure how much is left on his hefty contract but it would free up much needed funds to chase the mids we so desperately need.

Time to let go of a few players because for what ever reason they haven't worked out. I think we're all in for a few surprises come years end.

Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 3

Yeah I'm not really sure why Roos went down this path of blaming the players. Surely he could have sent the runner out and said to player X man up Oxley or have sent Cross who wasn't doing a bad job as a spare man himself down to Oxley.. Don't think it was a good idea from Roos to distance himself from the players and pass the blame. Would have been better saying something along the lines of, "the players were instructed to do X,Y, Z but we as a coaching group didnt react quicker enough either"

Edited by JV7
  • Like 1

Roos blames the players because he cannot break his habit of bagging the Dees when he was on On The Couch.

And we were such as great team in the years he was on said show...

We should just be glad he was talking about us - we spent two and a half years effectively irrelevant to the competition.

• Like 2

Depends on how his message was relayed and how many times

The players are on the ground, they are the only ones who can actually make the changes.

I'm not sure if we should even bother having a coach according to you WYL.

In terms of damage he is referring to Watts,Dunn,Bail,Grimes.Fitzy,Spence,Jamar,Howe and Garland.

Guys who have seen only instability from day one and it hasn't improved either for them or club.

As he said last year ,everyone is tradeable but i doubt Watts will be traded out .

Couldn't blame Col Garland if he needed a change of scenery.

As far as the Oxley thing ,what more could he do.

On one occasion there were three up against him who all fell down.

Personally I am irritated by the short handpassing to players within range of the same tackler.

We are a talented team playing good football in patches at the moment.

At least we had a chance to win Yesterday.

The belief will build.

• Like 2

Interesting how the media is now starting to question the excuses that Roos is coming out with.

David king put up some stats on game day and while I can't remember them exactly I do remember that we are either 17 or 18 which is where we were under Neeld. The main thing we have improved on is the amount that we get beatin by.

Not overly encouraging though.

On a side note I have kids and they don't listen either but u keep on telling them the same thing over and over and over again until they do eventually listen.

Maybe Roos is now making the players accountable instead of defending them, you have to do the team things not your own, we might be finally growing up.

I reckon Roos comments re the players not always listening is encouraging as we are putting in a level of effort and consistency where we can start to address the mistakes. we are gradually becoming a decent footy team.

I'm only guessing but if all of this has been according to some script then the second half of season 15 will see things ramped up as much as can be . This will lift workloads and accountabilies/expectations leading into 16.

Tempo, cohesion and output need to lift.. Honeymoon over. Roos needs to really start delivering what he can from this lot.

• Like 1

I don't have an issue with Roos putting heat on the players

Even if he made mistakes in the box, our smart older leaders should have sorted it out and not kept bombing it high and long to extra numbers. It's not rocket science.

At least we can now focus on the finer details and aren't in a mess so big you can't see the loose man in defence from the 900 possession and inside 50 differentials.

• Like 1

Depends on how his message was relayed and how many times

The players are on the ground, they are the only ones who can actually make the changes.

Exactly, something called accountability.

Why can't these so called leaders lead, communicate, execute. As much as I'm frustrated by the injuries it's giving everyone a run. There are no more excuses, none. No more coming back from double something surgery, no more poorly coached for too long, no more debuted too early, no more weight of expectation, no more being made captain affected my ability to kick the bloody footy. You're all happy to put your hands out for big contracts but come time to deliver there's always bloody something and I'm sick of it.

I thought all these camps away were about empowering the players, trust, leadership. Tactics would have been discussed before the game and during the breaks, show some initiative....someone.

You hear players like Hodge say "I've been given the freedom to go back or to push up to the middle of the ground depending on how the game is panning out". Yes Clarkson still makes calls from the box but if he can see something happening he has footy smarts to make a call whether it be him or one of his teammates to make a change, he also has the trust of his coach and his teammates that it's the right call.

Edited by Al's Demons

I reckon Roos comments re the players not always listening is encouraging as we are putting in a level of effort and consistency where we can start to address the mistakes. we are gradually becoming a decent footy team.

I have said before we will be a better side in the back half of the year and I still believe that.

• Like 4

I don't get how it just doesn't happen. Perhaps that's my naivety, but how it can be allowed to go on for an entire half, all because the players supposedly "didn't listen", is beyond me. It's surely a very simple instruction for Player X to move onto Oxley. After the first couple of minutes of it not happening, maybe just repeat the instruction..?

Anyhow, game's done. It is still an odd explanation.

• Like 1

I am with OD

12-14 changes to the list. Last Saturday sealed

It for me. A stack of players on our list will not improve, no matter who is coach.

I think OD is half right, I see another 6-7 changes this year on the senior list.

We have turned over a lot of players in 18 months and you need some experience on the field.

We have a lot of talent to come with Petracca, ANB, Stretch and maybe Trengove with some possibles in King, Hunt, Harmes and White plus the return of several handy injured players in Salem, Kent, JKH, Tyson and Frost etc.

We are on the improve but disposal continues to kill us.

• Like 1

Roos strategy was to keep Cross as our extra back. Crikey, he had to Cloke was tearing us apart!

Then our mids and forwards had to work hard to get fwd, man up on Oxley and 'bring the ball to ground'.

One might ask why wasn't Cross as effective as Oxley?

Answer: Pies mids and fwds worked harder to get fwd, man up on Cross and 'bring the ball to ground'. Sound familiar.

They did what our players didn't.

They were also smarter on how they moved the ball fwd to nullify Cross.

It wasn't poor coaching. Roos strategy was sound. The players didn't execute it. They didn't work hard enough.

The 'players didn't listen comment' was possible the kindest thing he could say in public.

Everyone learnt some lessons.

• Like 7

Whose kicks did Oxley mark? Who had I50's in the 2nd and 4th that Oxley didn't get on the end of?

That is true. If the kicks are not well directed to leading forwards then the loose man can pick them off. It also points to the forwards not providing viable targets by strong leading. The fact that Oxley just happened to be there suggests that our kicking wasn't great.

More than Oxley's field day, I blame the large number of unforced errors and turnover goals that we gave to Collingwood. The obvious ones were Dunn's kick out, Watts' botched mark, Toumpas's handpass to Gawn who kicks directly to the opposition which opened them up to goal, and Fitzy's tunnel ball. Remove those four instances alone and we would have been one point down at the final siren. (Correction, five points up because Watts would have probably goaled from that opportunity.)

In the final analysis, we played ok (except for when we didn't )

Edited by btdemon
  • Like 1