POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 6

Demonland

On the petracca to hawthorn thing, kids contracted and Hawks would want to offer up a couple of good players to get him

I was amazed at the number of times we held the kick up in the first half. Either we are frightened of making mistakes or there are no targets or we have severe mental problems. So the person with the ball waits until time on is called then butchers the ball. Looked like under 12 c football to me.What is wrong with this teams mental state.

agree...we often play to the oppositions mind set. Is as though we've conceded the game mentally then enact the prediction..

On the petracca to hawthorn thing, kids contracted and Hawks would want to offer up a couple of good players to get him

Not contracted for long though. Brisbane have had a lot of their youth leave over the past couple years and have received jack in return. Wouldn't want to see us in that situation with Petracca

• Like 1

Really not concerned about that. Petracca, Brayshaw, Stretch and ANB are all good mates. I've seen them all hanging out at a restaurant near my place. They all seem like guys who want to build something together rather than chase an easy flag.

In regards to Howe if we can get a pick in the top 10 or a decent mid for him I think we should go for it.

• Like 2

In the wet. Wet weather can bring just about any two teams into a genuine contest. Bulldogs are going well but they're not going as well as the hype around them last week suggested.

GWS are starting to look the real deal. So fast and skillful. Simply rolled over the Hawks in the last quarter. Scary insight into a couple of years.

Hopefully at training this week there is a major focus on transitioning out of defence, drawing out the opposition, and working hard to provide options for a teammate. Offensively we were pretty awful which I think was due to putting all energies into shutting down their bigger bodied midfield. If we still can't get our two way running game going, then let's see a more offensively minded team next week ala North in the last game of 2014 and Gold Coast in Round 1. If they get belted so be it.

Being able to hit a teammate from 20 metres will certainly help.

This ^^

• Like 2

How can Hawthorn try and pinch a kid from us who hasn't even played a game?

I cant be bothered reading this whole thread, who are you referring too?

• Like 1

Really not concerned about that. Petracca, Brayshaw, Stretch and ANB are all good mates. I've seen them all hanging out at a restaurant near my place. They all seem like guys who want to build something together rather than chase an easy flag.

In regards to Howe if we can get a pick in the top 10 or a decent mid for him I think we should go for it.

That's the thing.....do these players see the club going in the right direction? Do they see a long term process unfolding? Is recruiting on target?

The GWS pact is borne about due to all the success criteria set in place. Stability. Process. Don't forget, GWS have not unleashed a dozen first round draft picks...yet.

Would they be happy knowing Roos is going to exit at the end of next year?

I hope that PJ's confirmed commitment can answer all these questions for our talented up and comers.

Firstly it's easy to get 100% DE when you dish a handball 2m to someone behind you.

I agree, but he played to instructions. He made errors, all players do, but overall his game was statistically on par with what Jamar has produced in the last two games as well as Pyke. So who do you drop him for?

Agree on our young listed players. We are building a talented young group. As for Howe.....if a club is happy to give him 600,000 then more stupid them. He is a one trick pony who is just another inconsistent AFL player on our list.

My patience is wearing thin.......

What annoys me us that Roos constantly puts Dunn on the oppositions second most dangerous forward no matter how tall he is.

We really lack another tall key defender, cost us four goals tonight, and we will always suffer because of Dunns lack of height,although he try's hard, sometimes he is just too short.

You watch, when we play Geelong for example, TMac will get Hawkins and Dunn will get Clarke who will easily out Mark him.

Hopefully Sam Frost can fill that role when he comes back - he's not a forward and is big enough to compete with the second key forward.

• Like 4

That's the thing.....do these players see the club going in the right direction? Do they see a long term process unfolding? Is recruiting on target?

The GWS pact is borne about due to all the success criteria set in place. Stability. Process. Don't forget, GWS have not unleashed a dozen first round draft picks...yet.

Would they be happy knowing Roos is going to exit at the end of next year?

I hope that PJ's confirmed commitment can answer all these questions for our talented up and comers.

I'd suggest some do, Brayshaw, Salem, Viney, Hogan, Mcdonald, have all recommited in the last couple of years, so that's a good sign.

I think Goodwin will implement a much more obvious attacking focus when he takes over at the end of next year, and i feel that the improvement we have shown is quite obvious, as Roosy himself said, 12 months ago our games against Freo and Sydney were 100 point losses, we have managed to restrict that, it's only baby steps, but steps none the less

GWS is a totally differnet beast, they have had talent spoon fed to them, every advantage the AFL could give them, they have recieved, and it's cost other clubs, any premiership they win with this current group imo is tainted and not worth as much becuase in a fair system they wouldn't have had access to the same help as they have in this cas.

• Like 2

I was actually happy that little ferret Shaw got stuck into him and Jack seemed to respond by telling himself that he wasn't going to take that kinda crap from a toe rag piece of filth. Footy is a contact sport, if you don't relish crashing and bashing, then you at least have to accept and expect it. I hope Jack starts on the field next week.

The same Shaw that [censored] his dacks in the 2003 GF?

• Like 2

I'd suggest some do, Brayshaw, Salem, Viney, Hogan, Mcdonald, have all recommited in the last couple of years, so that's a good sign.

I think Goodwin will implement a much more obvious attacking focus when he takes over at the end of next year, and i feel that the improvement we have shown is quite obvious, as Roosy himself said, 12 months ago our games against Freo and Sydney were 100 point losses, we have managed to restrict that, it's only baby steps, but steps none the less

GWS is a totally differnet beast, they have had talent spoon fed to them, every advantage the AFL could give them, they have recieved, and it's cost other clubs, any premiership they win with this current group imo is tainted and not worth as much becuase in a fair system they wouldn't have had access to the same help as they have in this cas.

I agree - but we can wax lyrical about this until hell freezes over. At the end of the day, is there a vision, a pathway in process?

Gee whiz, we picked a [censored] time to bottom out as a club, with all the draft concessions awarded to the expansion teams.

I agree, but he played to instructions. He made errors, all players do, but overall his game was statistically on par with what Jamar has produced in the last two games as well as Pyke. So who do you drop him for?

Yeah I understand statistically he might have been on par but it's those things I mentioned that aren't meausred in stats that he's so far off.. I'd bring Jamar back or give Gawn a run, atleast Gawns hit the scoreboard at Casey and can play forward

I love what Roos has done for this club and there's no doubt we needed to learn a defensive brand of footy, but we lack any semblance of flair or ability to take the game on.

I'm not suggesting we should emulate Beveridge, who plays with no tag, but perhaps we could find a better balance. I feel that we're too concerned by the opposition. We 'man hunt', while they 'ball hunt'. This always puts us on the back foot. It's as though we spend the bulk of our time trying to get the ball back from the opposition, which is at odds with quarters and some halves in the preseason.

Sometimes you have to give players their head. Not at the expense of quality team defence, but we don't seem to be able to find that happy medium.

It's either a lack of talent, or lack of direction. Or a bit of both.

I thought we played that brand of footy with Baliey??

It was good to watch and we would kick a lot more goals when we won but when we lost we would get smashed because there was no defensive play.

I guess we need to wait and see what the coaches will do to tinker the game plan In the next couple of years.

Its time for Salem to move into our midfield, hes everything we need in there - hard, skillful, creative.

Even for half a game, or as long as his fitness allows.

Is he big enough to play there yet? I just see him as undersized (although he is great 1v1 against similar sized guys) and feel we need a dominant big bodied mid (Kennedy/Fyfe/danger sized) to then take the pressure off the rest. Petracca may be it for us (jones said he's most excited about him on game day a few weeks back (more so than hogan), and preseason made the call about the size of him in an interview. But that is for next year onwards.

Since Kent went down we've lost our explosive run from defence to the forward line & have nothing to replace it with (jkh is agile but not fast).

I just hope we compete next week!

Ps didn't petracca just sign a contract extension or was about to?

I thought we played that brand of footy with Baliey??

I don't follow you. Please explain.

EDIT: clearly Bailey's sides were nowhere near defensive enough. Just as clearly I'm not advocating sacrificing defence for attack.

Perhaps you didn't fully comprehend what you were reading.

Edited by ProDee

Nick maxwell: sheil or trelor (one of the two) will be leaving at the end of the year (from little conversations he has heard). Reported on game day. (Not sure where to report) probably unlikely we will get either of them anyway!

I cant be bothered reading this whole thread, who are you referring too?

A caller on 3aw said the Harks are interested in Cristian.P but I'm sure there are a number of clubs interested in him considering how good he can be. Doesn't mean [censored].

I don't follow you. Please explain.

EDIT: clearly Bailey's sides were nowhere near defensive enough. Just as clearly I'm not advocating sacrificing defence for attack.

Perhaps you didn't fully comprehend what you were reading.

I don't really know what I ment either to be honest.

Yeah I understand statistically he might have been on par but it's those things I mentioned that aren't meausred in stats that he's so far off.. I'd bring Jamar back or give Gawn a run, atleast Gawns hit the scoreboard at Casey and can play forward

If you saw Casey yesterday you would not pick Jamar. Did nothing at Casey to reclaim a spot.Gawn needs to able to 1st ruck. Playing forward is useless if he cant command the 1st ruck spot. Cant see us playing Spencer and Gawn together at this point unless they offload one of Pedersen or Dawes.

• Like 1