Sam Newman's comments on Mitch Clark

Moneider96

The wolfmother post rears its head again...

Mate,

I'm not trying to cause issues, I just get really frustrated watching us supporters defend people who maybe not have the highest moral compass but because we are tribal we wont here a bad word about them. Knowing what has gone just makes you ashamed and think people have a right to know rather than thing these footballers are Infallible

I have come to realise how much the AFL protects its brand even over the right decisions. I was part of this not making a Collingwood player not responsible for his actions and thought I was just helping out. I soon realised this happens regularly and small drunk things should not be blown up (according to me) but things like PEDs makes me shake my head and this has only happen because the small things have set the precedent

I love the dees despite them being so frustrating. I would never try to hurt this club but they need to be held to account or at least the truth told to people rather than their behaviour be without repercussions.

• Like 1

Close this f#$@ing thread.

Close your computer Stuie.

You whining "@;:!

• Like 4

Just another issue to be over-analysed and flogged by the media ad nauseam, overshadowing our great game.

The vitriol towards Clark on here has always made me uncomfortable, as there is no way to know the full and true story behind his illness unless you are in his brain.

On the other side of the coin, I'm a traditionalist about keeping things on the field - which is the point Sam Newman was clumsily trying to make. He's always been one who can't understand how people can get so affronted by only 'words.'

If a player feels someone has overstepped the mark, let the captains have a chat and deal with it on the day, shake hands and leave it at that. Taking it elsewhere can end up creating a lengthy distraction for the whole club and overwrought speculation.

People say things they don't mean in the heat of the moment and it's something that shouldn't be picked apart by armchair experts who weren't out there.

Who is Mitch Clark and why should I care about him?

Exactly.

We're all sitting here arguing over the events of a game where neither team was Melbourne.

When we play Geelong I would hope our players don't sledge Mitch for his illness, until then could not give a stuff.

When we play Geelong it's unlikley that MC will play.

After his bleating about the alleged Hawthorn treatment, do you really think he has the character to front up and face the abuse of the Melbourne fans?

I'm sure he'll pull some excuse ... he's good at that!

Just another issue to be over-analysed and flogged by the media ad nauseam, overshadowing our great game.

The vitriol towards Clark on here has always made me uncomfortable, as there is no way to know the full and true story behind his illness unless you are in his brain.

On the other side of the coin, I'm a traditionalist about keeping things on the field - which is the point Sam Newman was clumsily trying to make. He's always been one who can't understand how people can get so affronted by only 'words.'

If a player feels someone has overstepped the mark, let the captains have a chat and deal with it on the day, shake hands and leave it at that. Taking it elsewhere can end up creating a lengthy distraction for the whole club and overwrought speculation.

People say things they don't mean in the heat of the moment and it's something that shouldn't be picked apart by armchair experts who weren't out there.

Sledging and physical intimidation are an integral part of team games, whether you like it or not, and as such they are as suitable for picking apart by armchair experts as any other aspect of the game - and a forum like this is created for armchair experts to share their pickings.

Whether Clark was sledged for his mental state or his off-field activities, I'm absolutely sure the sledger did mean it and didn't act in the heat of the moment. The idea that mouthy footballers, cricketers etc. aren't acting purposefully defies common sense.

• Like 1

Clark was always going to get sledged, and it will continue even more now that he has made it a public issue.

Like in school the minute a kid goes to the staff room to "dob" the heat goes up.

I know because i copped it for 6 long years...

Clark was always going to get sledged, and it will continue even more now that he has made it a public issue.

Like in school the minute a kid goes to the staff room to "dob" the heat goes up.

you went to a catholic school, swyl?

• Like 1

So you're a dobber?

Personally I'm in favour of elevating MC to T$ status and we never speak of the bloke again.

You just want to start a 'No MC No BS' thread ... :)

• Like 1

You just want to start a 'No MC No BS' thread ... :)

Or incorporate him into the existing thread ..

The No T$ No M€ No B$ Thread ... we can just keep adding players when applicable :)

Quite seriously, we should move on with regards to Clark - he wanted a fresh start and we didn't stand in his way ... we picked up Lumumba in the trade and to my way of thinking, that puts us ahead.

I don't wish the bloke any ill will either - we've had at least a half a dozen players leave the club for one reason or another in the last few years and I just put him in with the others.

That's the new age of footy - you win some, you lose some (more frequently)

Edited by Macca

Clark was incredibly undisciplined today. After his moronic, aimless long bomb into their forward fifty (easily marked uncontested by a Freo player), Selwood turned around, threw out his mouthguard and screamed abuse at him.

Problems at the Cattery, I love it!

• Like 5

Jesus you can be an ignorant piece of [censored] Stuie!!

WTF is your problem? I sincerely enquired and said I respected his situation.

How about you stop following me around making a DH of yourself for once?

Or incorporate him into the existing thread ..

The No T$ No M€ No B$ Thread ... we can just keep adding players when applicable :)

Quite seriously, we should move on with regards to Clark - he wanted a fresh start and we didn't stand in his way ... we picked up Lumumba in the trade and to my way of thinking, that puts us ahead.

I don't wish the bloke any ill will either - we've had at least a half a dozen players leave the club for one reason or another in the last few years and I just put him in with the others.

That's the new age of footy - you win some, you lose some (more frequently)

Agree 100% 'Macca', I'm over this Clark, Scully, Frawley stuff.

It's probably a symptom of where we are as a club that we can delight in someone else's downfall.

Not that I wish them success, I most surely don't but they don't need to take up any of my mental space. I have enough trouble dealing with my own teams misfortunes to be too concerned by these outsiders.