Changes for Round 2

Nasher

I'd be very tempted to have three talls and watts, I think gws lack some height down back and if we can get it in there we could easily get a hold of them, Davis probably takes hogan but if he can drag him up the ground Dawes, frost and watts should have a field day

Disagree. I think that Davis and Patfull will hold their own against Hogan and Watts,and I don't think that Frost and Dawes are damaging forwards. I think that Kent, Garlett and JKH would cause more concerns for GWS.

I really don't see what Michie has to offer. He can accumulate possessions without hurting the opposition, and that's about it.

As bad as Toumpas looked on Saturday, like Macca, I'd give him another game if Vince and Dawes weren't available. It just goes to show that we still seriously lack AFL standard depth. The likes of Michie, McKenzie, Bail, Riley and M.Jones will win a lot of games for Casey, but not necessarily Melbourne.

Was saying this to a mate the other day, who was over the moon that we had "selection issues". We only have those issues because our injury list is so small, and we have only maybe 2-3 players (if you include Grimes alongside Dawes and Vince) that would be in the top 22 nine times out of ten that weren't already playing.

Our "depth" players with experience are:

McKenzie

Pederson

Michie

Spencer

Terlich

Jones

Fitzy

That doesn't include the likes of Stretch and Hunt who are clearly still a ways off.

Now, any team, even a top team like Hawthorn, that has seven top-22 players out and needs to top up with 7 VFL (at best) players is going to struggle, but our problem is that these 7 players are decent (at best) players in a *bad* side, as we've seen the last 2-3 years.

We lack depth primarily in the ruck, because Gawn and Spencer are simply not reliable enough. Terlich and Jones are massive liabilities down back, and McKenzie doesn't win the ball in a tagging role like Viney can, and even when he does win the ball, he hacks it.

Put simply, we lack depth because none of our depth players would fit into the top 22 of any other team. Compare this to depth players at top teams. Ben Newton for example was a depth player that couldn't get a game, and he's now clearly in our top 22.

Let's pray we don't get the injury bug because we will struggle. We need another 2-3 good years of drafting and sighing to get this team even close to a top 5 finish, irrespective of how much improvement we see in younger players like Salem, Viney, Brayshaw etc

Was saying this to a mate the other day, who was over the moon that we had "selection issues". We only have those issues because our injury list is so small, and we have only maybe 2-3 players (if you include Grimes alongside Dawes and Vince) that would be in the top 22 nine times out of ten that weren't already playing.

McKenzie

[Pedersen]

Michie

Spencer

Terlich

Jones

Fitzy

That doesn't include the likes of Stretch and Hunt who are clearly still a ways off.

Now, any team, even a top team like Hawthorn, that has seven top-22 players out and needs to top up with 7 VFL (at best) players is going to struggle, but our problem is that these 7 players are decent (at best) players in a *bad* side, as we've seen the last 2-3 years.

We lack depth primarily in the ruck, because Gawn and Spencer are simply not reliable enough. Terlich and Jones are massive liabilities down back, and McKenzie doesn't win the ball in a tagging role like Viney can, and even when he does win the ball, he hacks it.

Put simply, we lack depth because none of our depth players would fit into the top 22 of any other team. Compare this to depth players at top teams. Ben Newton for example was a depth player that couldn't get a game, and he's now clearly in our top 22.

Let's pray we don't get the injury bug because we will struggle. We need another 2-3 good years of drafting and sighing to get this team even close to a top 5 finish, irrespective of how much improvement we see in younger players like Salem, Viney, Brayshaw etc

We have improved but you are correct we are still a couple of years of good drafting results away from a top eight side.

if Bernie is good to go , he comes in. hes got that bit of verve,spark and belief which we need. Look at how we broke lines with a bit of a run; all from belief. Have to eradicate the hesitancy in our game. JKH was a bit iffy in this regard. Granted some great plays too. His setup to Tyson was spot on.

id relegate Toump to the magoos.. hes not much more developed yet as a player than VFL standard. He'll need to work hard and GET picked.

its really a case of who adds to the equation

Vince and Dawes surely out point Toump and Harris.

Dont see this as even really a challenge...the picking of team that is. They pick themselves currently, how refreshing :)

Read the HUN this morning. I think Brayshaw will be out. Evidently he was taken off on Saturday because of a leg soreness.

Roos will not over play first year kids.

• Like 2

Read the HUN this morning. I think Brayshaw will be out. Evidently he was taken off on Saturday because of a leg soreness.

Roos will not over play first year kids.

Also, I think it's probably not a bad idea to keep someone like Brayshaw "hungry" for games; I can't help but think of past new recruits who have played great first games and then, for whatever reasons, faded out.

McKenzie

[Pedersen]

Michie

Spencer

Terlich

Jones

Fitzy

Agree the injury list is helping things.

It is however hard to retain serious depth. As Port found, a player like Newton will be in demand and move on if not getting a game. Kennedy at Hawthorn, now Swans is another good example of this. Probably the best depth is having some good kids coming through being well developed and ready to step up.

I think our depth is ok but hope the injury list stays in our favour.

• Like 1

Also, I think it's probably not a bad idea to keep someone like Brayshaw "hungry" for games; I can't help but think of past new recruits who have played great first games and then, for whatever reasons, faded out.

What's with the new photo hardtack?

is that you in 1970?

• Like 1

Vince in for Toumpas is straight forward. Give him time to develop in the VFL, and get some game time under his belt. The team comes first, and while not getting much opportunity, the team will be better without him in it.

I really liked what I saw from Frost, but every time I think about it he has to make way for Dawes for team balance. All of our other KPPs get picked ahead of him. We'll be too tall otherwise, and I think we can get by without him as 2nd ruck.

Dunn could follow Tomlinson into the middle and relief ruck when Jamar and the Mummy rest. Mcdonald and Garland take Cameron and McCarthy, with Howe to help out if needed. If Mumford rests forward, it could get a bit complicated, but that's a win for us, and when we should have Jamar in the middle so he can dominate the 2nd ruckman, and Dunn stays back.

JKH is next in-line to miss, but for team balance, he stays.

• Like 1

What's with the new photo hardtack?

is that you in 1970?

No OD... felt I needed a change so I went from Pinhead to Eraserhead - both are film references.

• Like 2

Our mids were terrible .

I'm not kidding. Jamar wins many taps to his feet but they get the clearance.

Cross is a messy disposal expert.

The third quarter was crap .

Obviously a wins a win but Cross is not the answer.

Cross out

Vince in.

Toumpas was terrible at times also.

Face fact you delusionals.

I've always thought that Jamar whilst he contests well in the ruck, he doesn't tap it to our advantage much at all, but whilst he contributes around the ground like he did against the Suns I'm satisfied. I think he and Cross will retire at the end of the year .We need to put games into players like Toumpas and Gawn. So I'd rather rest Cross if they want to bring in Vince and give Toumpas another chance he was on the game for less than 30 mins. He needs to be given 3-4 games to settle. I reckon the reason he makes mistakes is because he tries to play safe, he needs to demand the footy. As for Dawes he needs a game at Casey. If Grimes isn't an automatic call up neither should Dawes, his 2014 was average and his form in the Nab wasn't gr8.

• Like 1

Jamar named as the ruckman in the AFL team of the week. Anyone that suggested dropping him should perhaps give themselves a week ban and get along to the game in round 4 instead of watching it on TV (or not at all).

Vince for Toump and Dawes for Frost or JKH.

Roos did say we'd be dropping players that are in form. It's how it is and its a good thing.

• Like 2

McKenzie

[Pedersen]

Michie

Spencer

Terlich

Jones

Fitzy

as I said elsewhere, you take last weeks 21, add vince and dawes for 23. Add Trengove and Petracca for 25. Add another high first round pick for 26 (fingers crossed for a Brayshaw that can go straight up). Add 3 more quality imports like we have done the last two years (vince cross tyson lumumba garlett newton vandenburg) and you have 29 decent players for our 2016-and-onwards squad. Then, even with 4-5 injuries at one time we still should not have to name any of those potatoes you've listed, some of whom will have already been delisted anyway to make room for the new faces. It's not that bleak

• Like 1

as I said elsewhere, you take last weeks 21, add vince and dawes for 23. Add Trengove and Petracca for 25. Add another high first round pick for 26 (fingers crossed for a Brayshaw that can go straight up). Add 3 more quality imports like we have done the last two years (vince cross tyson lumumba garlett newton vandenburg) and you have 29 decent players for our 2016-and-onwards squad. Then, even with 4-5 injuries at one time we still should not have to name any of those potatoes you've listed, some of whom will have already been delisted anyway to make room for the new faces. It's not that bleak

No I don't think it's bleak at all. I'm just saying that right now we're 2-3 injuries away from having to play potatoes lol

No I don't think it's bleak at all. I'm just saying that right now we're 2-3 injuries away from having to play potatoes lol

Well yeah that's true unfortunately, and odds are that it will happen

PS I forgot to say in the previous post that this time next year hopefully we will also be looking at naming Stretch, ANB and OMAC

As the season progresses their will be plenty of opportunities for players not selected for round 1.

Its certain that some players will 'play' themselves out of the team and there will be the inevitable injuries and perhaps suspension/s.

So missing selection in round one is not likely a life sentence!!!!!

• Like 1

in 30 hours we will know the team....

after 21 pages DL still has not come to any consensus. I think Toump and Brayshaw will come out for Dawes and Vince although I am concerned about us being too tall. Frost and Hogan being mobile and all 3 key fwds being able to apply pressure eases my concerns.

If Roosey thinks we are too tall, I really have no idea who he will drop! Dawes or Frost I guess are the only options?

God I hope we smash the bejesus out of those A holes!

Edited by DubDee

The obvious changes are:

Vince for Toump

Dawes for Frost

In saying that I think people are being way to hard on Toump. He was serviceable in his 27 minutes, sure he made a couple of errors but he was ok. He showed plenty in the pre-season, is too skilled for Casey and at some stage deserves a 5 week run in the seniors in one role to gain confidence. I have faith that the Toump will become an outstanding footballer.

Frost had an excellent debut and is very unlucky if dropped. However, at this stage Dawes is a significantly better and more experienced forward. Dawes demands the best backman, physically and mentally intimidates his opponents, is the enforcer and plays the team game. With several other genuine forwards around him and a stronger, more skilled, attacking mid-field Dawes may well be a match winner (if he is kicking straight). Dawes will also probably take 2nd ruck. To suggest that Dawes should not come in this week is crazy talk.

Unless there is an unknown injury or Roos wants to rest Brayshaw, I am almost certain these will be the changes. This would represent our strongest team (LTI not included).

Edited by Grand New Flag

No OD... felt I needed a change so I went from Pinhead to Eraserhead - both are film references.

If you ever figure out what Eraserhead is about can you let me know, almost as difficult today in 'us' deciding who should be in and out this week. For me Brayshaw and Toumpas with JKH as the sub

Edited by The Devil Inside
  • Like 2