The thread anticipating a thread that Jack Grimes has been named an emergency

chookrat

Jack will be able to watch the performance of his replacements on the flank and play his game in the Casey side.

We may notice that his delivery is no worse than his replacements . No player is exempt from a fumble or a howler.

Jack was responsible for a number because he was where the action was and does need to improve his decision making. he might find that the abilty returns at the lower level and he can then step up again.

Am I the only one to think it's beyond silly that people are blaming Grimes' fall in form on the fact that he wears jumper #31?

I was counting down until someone would say this. A little longer than expected.

No-one is blaming his form purely on him wearing the number 31. But let's look at when he started to nosedive. It was when he took on both the captaincy and the esteemed number. You can't say with any certainty what goes through his mind. He's spoken about what it means to him and the responsibility that comes with wearing it. Are you really in a place to be speaking with authority on the workings of the mind of Jack Grimes? Every little percent counts in this game.

I don't disagree that he was over-burdened - but if that's the case, then people should just say "he shouldn't have been made captain". The number is irrelevant, so why mention it at all?

Not that it in any way justifies it, but I reckon JG and JT being thrown under a bus as 19 and 20 year olds has allowed NJ to blossom as a true leader in his own time, though. I wonder if we would all view him as the same leader that he appears to be had he been thrown under said bus instead?

It's more than that 'Nasher', Jack has been carrying the burden for the club since before he was made captain. He was often put up as a spokesman probably because he could string a few words together.

He's been poorly handled and your point about Jones is one I fully agree with, he has been allowed time to develop without all the other pressures that Jack Grimes has had to carry.

It's more than that 'Nasher', Jack has been carrying the burden for the club since before he was made captain. He was often put up as a spokesman probably because he could string a few words together.

Again, not sure what that's got to do with #31. He didn't even wear #31 until he was made captain, so talking about what happened prior is going off on a tangent.

The two things are tied up, but #31 accounts for 0.000001% of the burden in my mind. The requirement to speak all the time and the expectation of leadership account for the rest - yet the insignificant thing is what people mention.

The jinx of numbers handed down during the CS years.

4 Norm Smith to Jack Watts.

9 David Neitz to Jack Trengove

11 Jim Stynes to Mitch Clarke

31 Ron Barassi to Jack Grimes

37 Jim Stynes to Max Gawn then 11 to Max Gawn.

Why did we start this caper with 4 to Jack Watts?

There must have been a heap of No. 4's in between.

• Like 1

I was counting down until someone would say this. A little longer than expected.

No-one is blaming his form purely on him wearing the number 31. But let's look at when he started to nosedive. It was when he took on both the captaincy and the esteemed number. You can't say with any certainty what goes through his mind. He's spoken about what it means to him and the responsibility that comes with wearing it. Are you really in a place to be speaking with authority on the workings of the mind of Jack Grimes? Every little percent counts in this game.

If people weren't blaming his form on #31 then I wonder why it's the only part of any of it they mention in their posts - yourself included?

I'm assuming you're going to tell me they're intrinsically linked and I should have just been able to draw the inference, but like I said to rjay the jumper is a minor, barely significant part of the symbolism.

Again, not sure what that's got to do with #31. He didn't even wear #31 until he was made captain, so talking about what happened prior is going off on a tangent.

The two things are tied up, but #31 accounts for 0.000001% of the burden in my mind. The requirement to speak all the time and the expectation of leadership account for the rest - yet the insignificant thing is what people mention.

The physical burden of being moved to the midfield when you are injury prone (Jones, Grimes and Trenners was Neeld's favourite midfield combo after he got Moloney, Green and Davey and even Magner out of there) certainly didn't help. Jones was ready for midfield minutes after Bailey had used him in a variety of roles teaching him the game. Trenners could handle it to an extent but was overburdened. Grimes had NFI and a brittle body. He never should've left the half back flank.

The number change was a sign of just how ridiculous Schwab was but it was an effect not a cause.

I will say this though - going back to Casey and rediscovering his form and fitness will help him improve. But he'll also be wearing a different number there! ;)

The physical burden of being moved to the midfield when you are injury prone (Jones, Grimes and Trenners was Neeld's favourite midfield combo after he got Moloney, Green and Davey and even Magner out of there) certainly didn't help. Jones was ready for midfield minutes after Bailey had used him in a variety of roles teaching him the game. Trenners could handle it to an extent but was overburdened. Grimes had NFI and a brittle body. He never should've left the half back flank.

The number change was a sign of just how ridiculous Schwab was but it was an effect not a cause.

I will say this though - going back to Casey and rediscovering his form and fitness will help him improve. But he'll also be wearing a different number there! ;)

Hope they don't give him the legendary number 76....

The jinx of numbers handed down during the CS years.

4 Norm Smith to Jack Watts.

9 David Neitz to Jack Trengove

11 Jim Stynes to Mitch Clarke

31 Ron Barassi to Jack Grimes

37 Jim Stynes to Max Gawn then 11 to Max Gawn.

Why did we start this caper with 4 to Jack Watts?

There must have been a heap of No. 4's in between.

Good post Pig - once again it is glaringly obvious that Jack Watts is the cause of all our woes.

• Like 4

Here's hoping that he spends some time, even several weeks, at Casey building confidence in his ability to silence an opponent, read the play, and make natural decisions on the rebound.

Can still be a quality player for us, but it is probably for the best that he be asked to rebuild form, almost from square 1.

• Like 1

The curse of 31 and our 1987 Preliminary Final Loss

Team bus was 31 minutes late in getting to Arctic Park

Said bus parked in Bus Bay 31.

Tempreture at Arctic Park always feels like 31(farenheit)

Jim Stynes wore 31 inch boot laces.

Final quarter went for 31 minutes.

Buckenara kicked for goal from 31 metres out.

These facts are undisputable. Anyone thinking any different are wrong as official records and memories have been bewitched.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 3

Very different game 'Kali'.

I might be clutching at straws with this one but something needs to change for Jack. He is pushed off the contest way too easily and whilst many have shots at his kicking it is this that bothers me more with his game.

there is no evidence that vegetarians are weaker than meat eaters. Joe Namath was a very big strong man. Obviously their code of football is different but there's some very big, tough strong men playing it.
  • Like 1

I hope that if he doesn't play ones, he absolutely blitzes at Casey and that he presses hard for selection next week. Like others I believe he was massively overloaded as Captain and did very well to cope with this and represent us. More importantly , I hope the players in the senior side ,realise this or a similar act from another player at Casey could very well happen and are therefore on immediate notice about their spots ( no matter who they are). Hope Max Gawn and others put in a good ones too.

If people weren't blaming his form on #31 then I wonder why it's the only part of any of it they mention in their posts - yourself included?

I'm assuming you're going to tell me they're intrinsically linked and I should have just been able to draw the inference, but like I said to rjay the jumper is a minor, barely significant part of the symbolism.

Cause we've spoken at length about where Grimes needs to improve and reasons as to why it's gone wrong. It's all covering old ground.

It may well play no part at all. I'm just looking at the timeline of when the quality of his on-field contributions went south.

I would ask, what's the actual harm in going back to his old number? If it's irrelevant then no harm no foul, right? I dare say he was enjoying his footy a lot more while he was wearing it.

That's the last I'll say on it cause it's a just a minor thought.

Am I the only one to think it's beyond silly that people are blaming Grimes' fall in form on the fact that he wears jumper #31?

I think the fact that the club was so adamant in advertising the fact didn't help either. It's not like it was just a fly by night thing. Didn't the previous regime hold some kind of media event to advertise the fact?

I think the fact that the club was so adamant in advertising the fact didn't help either. It's not like it was just a fly by night thing. Didn't the previous regime hold some kind of media event to advertise the fact?

yes. With Ron

He was a far better player with 16 in his back....