Training - Monday 23rd March, 2015

The Devil Inside

I don't really want to get into this discussion, but I'm going to be respectful about it.

No one is annoyed with your opinions Saty. I know that's surprising but it's true. The problem is how you put it forward and how you arrogantly cut other people down for theirs, either because you firmly believe it's wrong or you take it personally (which you do sometimes because you go and 'dob' people in to the players with their views).

If you just posted normally and provided short and concise training reports that covered training, and nothing else, then we wouldn't have these problems every.... single.... time. But your arrogant, holier than thou delivery does you no favours at all. More and more people get annoyed with it, and that has to tell you something.

I don't dob chap, they players get enough negativity from other media, without me adding to it, but if a player asks ME a question, then I will answer it honestly, I told Aaron Vandenberg he had taken one bounce too many in that run to goal, he agreed and also told me he actually shanked the kick, just glad it went through with Jesse Hogan free

I don't cut people down, I want opinions based on something, if I don't think they are, I will ask, that is part of being on a forum, we are trying to discuss the reasoning behind the move of Jack Fitzpatrick to defence, he will probably play a full forward this week after all this, some posters have denigrated his playing ability, I want to know why, if I don't agree I will say why

I have been playing and watching footy for over 37 years now, so hopefully I have a slight understanding of the game, I also try not to be too pessimistic as each season approaches although the last few have been a bit trying

I think every player on the Dees list is terrible and I will not give you any reasons why.

put that in your pipe and smoke it! :cool:

Provocateur.

• Like 1

There probably isn't one single reason for this move. My guess is that firstly they want to see how he goes because he has a lot of attributes that suit a key back, secondly they want to play him on good forwards to show him how to play the position and how hard good forwards work and finally to instil greater intensity into his game.

I doubt they've written him off as a forward. It's probably more for his development.

Thirdly, maybe it isn't about him at all. Maybe it's about the fact that Frost was recruited to replace Frawley but has shown that he might be more important filling a role in the forward line replcaing M Clark, than replacing Frawley in the backline. If that is the thinking then they need to find someone else to be the big gorilla back and maybe Fitzy could be that with his height on the increasing number of 200cm forwards. Think what Daniher just did to us because amongst other reasons we didn't have a tall enough back to line up against him.

• Like 1

So what do you say to the coaches who say it is above average, are we talking set shots or field kicking?

I don't think they would say any of our players are below average. We should be a really good kicking team then (both field and goal).

I'm with Wiseblood on his opinion on Fitzy.I dare say we would also agree with our thoughts on McKenzie,Spencer,Bail & Jones.But lets save that for another thread.

Sshhh, don't let Saty know that you have thoughts also.....he'll try to shoot them down also, then say "everyone's allowed to think for themselves".

You have to ask why I spent so much time reading through that knowing full well where it would end up... its kind of voyeuristic to fair.

I think it is the only thing we all have left, nothing else to do other than turn on each other. Imagine this place if we lose come round 1!

All this happened at training yesterday? WTF?

I enjoy the fact that posters like Saty and many others avoid using the trashy sweeping statements that you will see on the dodgy demons face book sites. Keeping it classy with analytical views on players weaknesses keep the standards up .Although Its entertaining reading the debates occasionally.

To TDI i know im just repeating what few others are saying but I for one love reading your reports its a good read when I go on break at work keep up the good work mate

Thanks for that, but as I have said before, I am lucky enough to live within spitting distance of both the MCG and Goschs, so try and provide some info for supporters who don't

Contrary to what some posters think, generally if I ask a question of a player or coach, I get a good answer, because most know I am not a fan of bulldust and don't insult me by offering that up, they also know that if they ask my opinion of something, they will get an honest answer, makes for a good player/supporter relationship

Also as you can see, I asked for the definition of the skill set required to be an AFL player, as some posters seem to know what it is, haven't seen it defined yet

Thanks for that, but as I have said before, I am lucky enough to live within spitting distance of both the MCG and Goschs, so try and provide some info for supporters who don't

Contrary to what some posters think, generally if I ask a question of a player or coach, I get a good answer, because most know I am not a fan of bulldust and don't insult me by offering that up, they also know that if they ask my opinion of something, they will get an honest answer, makes for a good player/supporter relationship

Also as you can see, I asked for the definition of the skill set required to be an AFL player, as some posters seem to know what it is, haven't seen it defined yet

I gave a pretty fair definition I would have thought. You asked and I responded. Regardless of whether or not you agree in terms of Fitzy, they are skills required to be a successful AFL footballer. I have no idea why you choose to ignore what I posted.

I gave a pretty fair definition I would have thought. You asked and I responded. Regardless of whether or not you agree in terms of Fitzy, they are skills required to be a successful AFL footballer. I have no idea why you choose to ignore what I posted.

You didn't define what the skill set was, you pointed out what skills Fitzy supposedly lacked, one of which the coaches don't agree with, another, which is backed up with vision, that I don't agree with

Edited by The Devil Inside

You didn't define what the skill set was, you pointed out what skills Fitzy supposedly lacked, one of which the coaches don't agree with, another, which is backed up with vision, that I don't agree with

Skill set, if you haven't worked it out, are the skills a player needs to play at AFL level. Kicking, handballing, marking, footy IQ, fitness, attitude, physicality.... need I go on? I don't know why that is so hard for you to work out.

I mentioned some of these in regards to Fitzpatrick and why I don't think he'll make it. If you don't agree then that's fine, no drama there as we differ on our opinion of his skills, I just have no idea why you keep harping on about a definition for skill set. It's not as if it will relate to their cooking skills or their ability to clip their toenails. I would have thought it's pretty straight forward.

My take on the skill set

Disposal efficiency should be around 70-75%

Should be able to kick efficiently off both feet, that takes out Kent and Viney,

are they still AFL players?

And I enjoyed every second of it Song

I think you've just confirmed what many have thought.

Disposal efficiency is one of the most meaningless stats in the modern game. The percentages get skewed in favour of players who win uncontested possessions and dispose of the ball with low risk (20 metre sideways kick), and works against players who win contested possession. Disposal efficiency percentages has little to do with the impact that a player has on the game.

At training, I've only seen one player kick the ball with their non preferred foot (Garlett), and in the preseason games it would be a rarity.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 2

I think you've just confirmed what many have thought.

Disposal efficiency is one of the most meaningless stats in the modern game. The percentages get skewed in favour of players who win uncontested possessions and dispose of the ball with low risk (20 metre sideways kick), and works against players who win contested possession. Disposal efficiency percentages has little to do with the impact that a player has on the game.

At training, I've only seen one player kick the ball with their non preferred foot (Garlett), and in the preseason games it would be a rarity.

I have never ever seen Kent kick with his right either at training or in games, and Viney always tries to get on his left

Disposal efficiency is one of the coaching tools used along with the GPS heat map to see where the disposals are happening, I asked