THE MATCH: NET GAIN IN THE WEST

Demonland

Note to all supporters.

Never get emotionally attached to AFL players..

I dont...am lambasted occasionally for the view...Cant be a real supporter etc.

Its the jumper people

• Like 1

I have to say that I was happy with the performance, I can't remember the last time we haven't been belted by Freo so that's a positive.

THE GOOD

TYSON - The only one to have a consistent 4 quarter performance, he made a few mistakes but so did everybody. We finally have a player that will end N.Jones Bluey dominance.

N.JONES - Terrific first half then he faded.

NEWTON - Great first half until he got subbed out, will need to improve his fitness though.

FROST - He gave us great run when he switched to defence.

LUMUMBA - He will make Collingwood pay for letting him go.

THE BAD

PEDERSEN - He had a spot for the taking with Dawes being suspended for RND 1 and he was pathetic, the only thing he did was drop a sitter that cost us a goal. I would be giving Fitzy every chance to replace him.

GAWN - I don't think he will ever improve, he can't take a mark and he can't kick, he is no good as a forward so he really can't play second ruck and Jamar is a better ruckman so he is at the crossroads.

M.JONES - While his ball use wasn't that bad his tackling was dreadful just as I thought he is nowhere near our best 22.

GRIMES - A game he would like to forget, another player at the crossroads.

DUNN - Was really quiet I hope he doesn't fall back into old bad habits.

Next week's 26

B: JETTA, FROST, DUNN

HB: LUMUMBA, T.MCDONALD, SALEM

C: CROSS, N.JONES, NEWTON

HF: KENT, HOGAN, VANDENBERG

F: FITZPATRICK, DAWES, GARLETT

FOLL: SPENCER, TYSON, VINEY

IC: WATTS, MICHIE, TOUMPAS, BAIL, MCKENZIE, GARLAND

SUB: STRETCH, BRAYSHAW

RND 1 22

F: WATTS, HOWE, GARLETT

FOLL: JAMAR, TYSON, VINEY

IC: VINCE, TOUMPAS, MICHIE

SUB: BAIL

Edited by WERRIDEE
  • Like 1

I have to say that I was happy with the performance, I can't remember the last time we haven't been belted by Freo so that's a positive.

THE GOOD

TYSON - The only one to have a consistent 4 quarter performance, he made a few mistakes but so did everybody. We finally have a player that will end N.Jones Bluey dominance.

NEWTON - Great first half until he got subbed out, will need to improve his fitness though.

THE BAD

PEDERSEN - He had a spot for the taking with Dawes being suspended for RND 1 and he was pathetic, the only thing he did was drop a sitter that cost us a goal. I would be giving Fitzy every chance to replace him.

GAWN - I don't think he will ever improve, he can't take a mark and he can't kick, he is no good as a forward so he really can't play second ruck and Jamar is a better ruckman so he is at the crossroads.

M.JONES - While his ball use wasn't that bad his tackling was dreadful just as I thought he is nowhere near our best 22.

Next week's 26

HF: KENT, HOGAN, VANDENBURG

RND 1 22

Spelling of Vandenberg! (Religious) Are they different people you have named in the two teams posted? Edited by CBDees
  • Like 1

I still think Howe is a forward, in our setup he'd likely be the 5th forward and would demand the respect of his opponent making him nervous to run off, Howe and Watts should be very difficult match ups for the 4th/5th defenders

Howe is better behind the ball as he is forced to involve himself. I find when forward he drifts out of the play and does not demand it.

• Like 2

THE GOOD

THE BAD

Next week's 26

RND 1 22

where from you come spectre.....what licence have you to utter such sense

back in box :)

What was instrumental in turning the game for Freo was our inability in the second quarter to apply pressure through the centre of the ground and out of our forward line which gave talented forwards the opportunity to ply their trade.

Grimes, McKenzie, Dunn and Garland were a substantial part of a defense that contained Freo very well on the day. On the TV none of those guys appeared to play well but if they hadn't we'd have been smashed.

Just on another issue, I had real difficulty with the umpiring and as you might expect I thought we were on the wrong end of it. Frees in front of goal to them were paid where similar incidents to us weren't. But perhaps I'm bias.

FWIW I thought McKenzie was serviceable when on. I thought Dunn was neither here nor there. I thought Grimes was fine defensively but is a continued liability with ball in hand. I thought Garland was a liability with ball in hand and was poor defensively he is clearly better on smalls as he holds too much against mid-tall forwards. We need poise and disposal as well as good defence out of our backline and if Grimes and Garland don't resolve this they wont be there long.

What makes you say Newton will need to improve his fitness as he was only on for a half?

wasnt know for a tank at Port. hes near...I grant you

I'm amazed everyone is writing off Gawn. For such a big player I think he has plenty of x-factor and his skills aren't as bad as people make out (despite that terrible turnover).

I think fans are just sick of dumb football and silly mistakes - that summed up Gawn last night.

As we improve as a side, we'll get hard on those who fall back into old ways, I think that is a good thing.

I would like to see our fans get harder on players, we've given them the benefit of the doubt for FAR too long.

Some don't like potting, I'd rather see more of it.

• Like 1

I'm amazed everyone is writing off Gawn. For such a big player I think he has plenty of x-factor and his skills aren't as bad as people make out (despite that terrible turnover).

X yes

more of the A B and C might be good !!

I think fans are just sick of dumb football and silly mistakes - that summed up Gawn last night.

As we improve as a side, we'll get hard on those who fall back into old ways, I think that is a good thing.

I would like to see our fans get harder on players, we've given them the benefit of the doubt for FAR too long.

Some don't like potting, I'd rather see more of it.

There's been a lot of comments writing Gawn off as a player, I think he is very much a long-term prospect still.

What makes you say Newton will need to improve his fitness as he was only on for a half?

Newton would've came into the pre-season fitter than everyone bar Jones IMO.

Port Adelaide play the way they do because they get run into the ground on the track.

I agree with you, I don't think Newton will need to improve his fitness just because he missed one half of football.

I bet Nat Fyfe comes in for Freo round 1 and outruns all others - after not playing NAB cup, same goes for Ablett.

He chased a player pretty poorly which I think resulted in a goal. The commentators commented on it, he looked stuffed.

Re Gawn ( and all the others) it's better to get the cobwebs off pre season. Not too fused and gives the coaches something to talk about. Would like to see Maxxy show a little more aggression however and believe he is our best big man option. Doubt if he would have missed from 10 metres after 200 games and can win a possession or two around the ground.

There's been a lot of comments writing Gawn off as a player, I think he is very much a long-term prospect still.

I agree, I just think he had an ordinary game. Hopefully after this year we have a better idea where Gawn is at.

We need improvement out of both Spencer and Gawn this year. Because if these guys aren't up to it after Jamar is done - then we have a serious problem.

• Like 1

He chased a player pretty poorly which I think resulted in a goal. The commentators commented on it, he looked stuffed.

Pretty much all of the players from both sides were pretty buggered at the end of the 2nd term. It was over 30 degrees, not easy to play in.

Probably because he does alot of gut running that we don't see on tv.

His fitness is fine and is top notch. Nothing wrong with it

Probably because he does alot of gut running that we don't see on tv.

His fitness is fine and is top notch. Nothing wrong with it

so he got the oppo player ?