Jeff Garlett - What's the story?

Curry & Beer

Do you know exactly what he is charged with?

Affray. Goes back to court March 20.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbournes-jeff-garlett-to-fight-affray-charge-20141103-11g39n.html

Are any of the legal eagles on here able to tell us how serious this charge is and what are the likely consequences?

Edited by Moonshadow

I am of the impression he has to re appear again in court over assault charges.

February comes to mind.

It might be a delayed start to 2015

Worth noting he is not the defendant in this instance.

Edited by Biffen

It's all to do with the coach, some players respond better to some coaches and not others, I was certainly one of those players. Malthouse would be avert hard man to play under, I really hope he can flourish under Roo's, we need goal kickers so badly.

That's my take on it as well.

I highly rate Malthouse as a coach but he can be somewhat particular with players; Garlett, Duigan, Waite, Scotland, Robinson were obviously out of favour very early in the set.

And the off-field stuff heightened the inevitability of departure for Garlett/Robinson whilst also reducing interest and value on the trade table.

Moses always played well in the wet. Left the opposition for dead.

Never could grab the pigskin on a Saturday though.

• Like 1

Or any day I would suggest.

They made them out of goats in that league

Abraham was a far better type.

He would sacrifice his own son for the team.

• Like 3

I am hoping someone can help me clarify what the situation is with this player, as it doesn't seem to add up, and I wonder why he seems to have been completely forgotten by the AFL community. So we got him for pick 61, which seems to be an absolute bargain, given the player has demonstrated four consecutive, consistent seasons as an effective small forward, and at 25, is just entering his football prime. Here are his career games/goals.

2014 Carlton 9 12

2013 Carlton 22 43

2012 Carlton 22 29

2011 Carlton 24 48

2010 Carlton 20 39

2009 Carlton 10 12

Career 107 183

What happened in 2014? I read somewhere he had a shoulder injury - can anyone confirm this? In any case it does not seem to be some sort of chronic injury that would reduce his value in the market - furthermore he certainly does not have a history of injury issues, hardly missing a game for four seasons in a row prior. Can anyone comment on him having a big drop-off in form in 2014? If this was the case, why, at 24, would a player suddenly lose his form? Is it all being put down to off-field issues?

Apparently he played 12 games in the VFL (for only 7 goals) which would mean a total of 21 games for the year and therefore practically no issues with injury at all. Again, I wonder what caused such a huge drop-off in form?

http://sportingpulse.com/nfnn/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=194532036&client=1-118-10464-294689-20320225

Now, can anybody speculate on what the consequences might be with his legal troubles - should we assume there is no outcome unforseen by the MFC and therefore no reason to suggest he won't be available to play?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/trio-who-bashed-afl-footballers-jeff-garlett-and-mitch-robinson-spared-jail-20150107-12jn1b.html

"Liep Kuel, Abram Hothnyang and Emmanuel Golong were on Wednesday issued with convictions and community corrections orders for their part in the fight on August 3 last year, which left the then Carlton players with head injuries."

"Mr Garlett was also charged along with his brother, Gerald, and another friend. They are due to appear in court in March."

Now, are we being told that this incident is the sole reason for him being kicked out of Carlton? To me something doesn't add up - there should have been more clubs other than us and Essendon who were keen on him - why did the other 15 clubs stay away? Is this a 'no dheads' policy, that the MFC are prepared to risk?

"The Blues made it clear they wanted to trade the 25-year-old at the end of the season after he failed to tell the club he was involved in an altercation outside a Melbourne nightclub."

Moving forward, we have a 25 year old player with no injury history and a proven record of quality. Why the drop-off in form? How impotant are his off-field issues? Why did we get him so cheap with so few clubs interested?

Great topic C&B, let's wait and see how he goes playing as a forward to our midfield, he's had Gibbs, Murphy, Judd, Simpson getting the ball down to him playing for Carlton. Don't think he will be kicking 40 goals a season for us if we only average low 40's for inside 50's
  • Like 1

lot was a legendary footballer

so much so his daughters attempted to clone a football team from him before jsada stepped in and put a stop to it

Jsada was tough in those days.

at the very least they were smart enough to hire Jewish Lawyers.

lot was a legendary footballer

so much so his daughters attempted to clone a football team from him before jsada stepped in and put a stop to it

Noah went alright as well. Exceptional in the wet and was lethal inside the 50m arc.

• Like 4

Guys...

Exactly what Moses said at the Red Sea when he saw the Egyptians coming.

His direct no-nonsense straight-up-the-middle tactics that day parted the waters & the opposition was swamped.

• Like 4