Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

The way MFC dealt with Mitch Clark was all for his best interests, any club that even considered trying to hijack him would be of extremely poor character, if the shoe was on the other foot & the MFC did this i would be embarrassed

• Like 6

I don't think it's as easy as that. You can have a great job, great wife, great friends and still be followed by the black dog, Or you can live in a cardboard box and be upbeat that tomorrow will be a better day. It's more about how you filter the outside world. If you are depressed then the filter is off kilter and only lets in and magnifies the bad things, and those bad things are usually the things that reflect on your perceived self worth rather than a given situation.

I never meant to imply it was easy to understand Mitchs situation and you are right in everything you say about depression often being an internal state without much connection to the outer circumstances of life. However there is no doubt a return to the site of a past traumatic episode can trigger a relapse.

My main point was that we should accept whatever decision he makes, even if it isn't in our best interest - only he will know what is right for him.

• Like 1

You underrate Mitch Clark. 3rd round pick? yep see ya there mate

What do you think Ross Lyon is going to give for an injury prone tall after the Gumbleton debacle?

Clark was a great player but that was the first half of 2012.

He is a speculative pick up now that a club would only take for free or for a late pick. And that's just considering his body, before you even consider his mental state.

To suggest a club would give up a top 20 selection for Clark now is laughable.

• Like 1

I posted this in another thread last night in regard to Mitch Clark

His manager Colin Young was on the radio tonight to respond to the rumours that have been circling

• Mitch Clark is in Melbourne and has just sold his house
  • The plan was to return to Perth (not for football) but his partner is studying to be a surgeon
  • Categorically put to bed any contact with the WA based clubs
  • Mitch is in good spirits and after spending 6-8 weeks doing nothing thought it was time for him to get fit again, so has been boxing training for a while
  • Melbourne clubs have been in contact with Young asking about Mitch's health and if he will return to football
  • At this stage Clark has no intention of playing AFL footy next year.
  • Young believes if Clark did have thoughts about playing again he would make contact with Melbourne, but he(Young) thinks Melbourne have moved on with their future plans
  • Clark remains in contact with the Demons players and played golf with them recently
  • Young meets with Mitch every 3 weeks and next week is just another meeting
  • Clark still has a manager because he is under contract to Young till October 31st 2014

That is a quick snapshot of what came out of the managers mouth, BUT I IN NO WAY TRUST MANAGERS

The bolded bit looks (to me) like utter bullshyte from the manager. I doubt Melbourne would 'move on' and drop any hope of bringing him back to the MFC, should he opt to return to footy.

Codswallop Mr Young

• Like 3

I never meant to imply it was easy to understand Mitchs situation and you are right in everything you say about depression often being an internal state without much connection to the outer circumstances of life. However there is no doubt a return to the site of a past traumatic episode can trigger a relapse.

My main point was that we should accept whatever decision he makes, even if it isn't in our best interest - only he will know what is right for him.

No I got you. I was just pointing out that it's about the filter rather than the situation, If the filter is happy and healthy then he'll be happy no matter where he is; if it isn't then no amount of changing jobs or postcodes will help.

And I agree competely with the last line.

• Like 1

The bolded bit looks (to me) like utter bullshyte from the manager. I doubt Melbourne would 'move on' and drop any hope of bringing him back to the MFC, should he opt to return to footy.

Codswallop Mr Young

Bit hard in the context of the writing, but in the interview it came across that Mitch felt he wasn't helping the club at the time of his decision and he felt it best they move on as he wasn't right healthwise. The way it came across was if he decides to have another crack we will be the first to know

• Like 1

What do you think Ross Lyon is going to give for an injury prone tall after the Gumbleton debacle?

Clark was a great player but that was the first half of 2012.

He is a speculative pick up now that a club would only take for free or for a late pick. And that's just considering his body, before you even consider his mental state.

To suggest a club would give up a top 20 selection for Clark now is laughable.

FOOL!!! tell me a top 20 player on our list that is better, tell me he wouldn't be better than Dawes or Watts, tell me we don't have room on our list for a "speculative pick" what we have now is laughable.

The way MFC dealt with Mitch Clark was all for his best interests, any club that even considered trying to hijack him would be of extremely poor character, if the shoe was on the other foot & the MFC did this i would be embarrassed

Trust me they would stick the knife in our backs quicker than we could blink.

Word on the street is that mitch will play for freo next year.

{............}

Edited: Please don't circulate unsubstantiated rumours, particularly ones that are almost certainly defamatory.

Edited by Grapeviney

Codswallop Mr Young

I'd say that if it is codswallop, it is carefully selected codswallop aimed at protecting his client from unwanted attention and speculation.

• Like 3

Interesting that in his darkest period he has stayed in Melbourne not returned to Perth. So not sure why so many people are concerned about him only playing for a WA team. He's still here.

Interesting he tweeted about doing a recovery session at StKilda. Would suggest he's training pretty hard to need a recovery session. If he continues to train hard and the body holds up, it will be interesting to see if this helps him overcome one of the reported triggers for his depression and retirement which was his body continually failing.

Perhaps if he was interested in giving it a go we could take him on as a rookie. He would not be under any of the pressure that was one of the other triggers for his depression. He could come back in without any pressure and see how he went. It would be worth the gamble for MFC if he was just taking up a rookie spot. Wouldn't think it would be worth the gamble to keep him on the list.

One can but dream.

• Like 2

Why do we as supporters and members keep talking about recent past players so much? Aren't they part of the problem that has added to the poor culture that we keep hearing about?

Surely we need to look at the current players worth keeping and getting the right new ones into the club and start breading a successful culture into our footy department which they the players, coaches and support staff can say they did. I read with interest that the Tigers after their bad loses ( including to us) sat down as a group and had some real home truths aired.

That is what We should be taking about and wanting not if MC or LJ will ever play for Melbourne or an another AFL Club.

Why do we as supporters and members keep talking about recent past players so much? Aren't they part of the problem that has added to the poor culture that we keep hearing about?

Surely we need to look at the current players worth keeping and getting the right new ones into the club and start breading a successful culture into our footy department which they the players, coaches and support staff can say they did. I read with interest that the Tigers after their bad loses ( including to us) sat down as a group and had some real home truths aired.

That is what We should be taking about and wanting not if MC or LJ will ever play for Melbourne or an another AFL Club.

You can talk until you are blue in the face. If you don't have the cattle there is a limit to how far a group can go. If any MFC supporter doesn't think that the boys were playing to their capacity in the first half of the year then they've got rocks in their head. We've got players on our list who can improve, but our list in its present state is very limited.

FOOL!!! tell me a top 20 player on our list that is better, tell me he wouldn't be better than Dawes or Watts, tell me we don't have room on our list for a "speculative pick" what we have now is laughable.

It's not about us it's what he's worth to another club - considering the chances of him ever playing again are slim at best why would a club give up a top 20 pick for him?

It's not about us it's what he's worth to another club - considering the chances of him ever playing again are slim at best why would a club give up a top 20 pick for him?

If he passes the team's medical and deemed fit enough to get onto a list he is therefore deemeed fit enough to play. If he is fit to play he is worth a high pick, closer to 10 than 20.

Ross Lyon will do his due diligence and if he wants him he will move heaven and earth to get him. Ross may also need to include a player in the trade to make salary cap room. If going to Feo makes Mitch happy so be it but we should aim to get full value while still helping Mitch get to where he wants to be (both in football and health)

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

If so I may lose my mind. I have a fair man crush on Mitch. Every time I go to the G I kinda expect to lose. But when Mitch was playing I could at least see effort,courage and class. It's what I saw in the ox which made me and demon. It would be a shocking sight to see him in another jumper.

Just hope that mitch is getting healthy,i think he was one of the best recruits we got to the club and the unfortunate health issues didnt take anything away from my liking of his footy,like everybody i hope he has got family and friends to help with ongoing issues.

I still think this is a plot by robbo to take EFC/asada off the footy pages for the time being.

Bit hard in the context of the writing, but in the interview it came across that Mitch felt he wasn't helping the club at the time of his decision and he felt it best they move on as he wasn't right healthwise. The way it came across was if he decides to have another crack we will be the first to know

Fair enough just my (mis)interpretation

If he passes the team's medical and deemed fit enough to get onto a list he is therefore deemeed fit enough to play. If he is fit to play he is worth a high pick, closer to 10 than 20.

Ross Lyon will do his due diligence and if he wants him he will move heaven and earth to get him. Ross may also need to include a player in the trade to make salary cap room. If going to Feo makes Mitch happy so be it but we need to start playing hardball at Trade time ala Essendon and Collingwood and get full value.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA PICK 10? Oh wow Demonland never fails to amaze.

You must be Barry Prendergast or Tim Harrington!?

Clark will be 27 at the beginning of next year. He's played his whole career as a wrecking ball and has played 15+ games in a season 3 times. He's missed the last 2 seasons and couldn't even train without doing soft tissue injuries 3 times last pre-season. He has lost all conditioning being out of the system this year.

That means best case Freo could get 40 games out of him if they got his body and mind right. And you reckon that's worth pick 10? Wow.

• Like 2

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-07-29/2014-trade-draft-and-free-agency-dates

Mitch is officially on the list until Melbourne submits there "List lodgement 1" on the 31st October. You can say your retired or delisted but your still on the list.

Friday October 31, by 2pm - List lodgement (1); Rookie promotion to primary list; Retained second and third-year rookies; Scholarship players; Alternate talent player nominations, Total player payment (TPP) estimates.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-07-29/2014-trade-draft-and-free-agency-dates

Mitch is officially on the list until Melbourne submits there "List lodgement 1" on the 31st October. You can say your retired or delisted but your still on the list.

Friday October 31, by 2pm - List lodgement (1); Rookie promotion to primary list; Retained second and third-year rookies; Scholarship players; Alternate talent player nominations, Total player payment (TPP) estimates.

I suppose you would have to think then that the MFC will be doing a bit of talking to Mitch and his manager over the next few weeks to determine whether he might be interested. I don't think there could be any doubt that the MFC are interested considering, if I am remembering the Roos Pie Night thread correctly, Roos had intimated that he believed Clark was the best player at the club prior to injury.