Melbourne might rethink succession

beelzebub

My opinion is that Roos came on board with the sucession plan because the club was in that bad a shape when he signed. ie he did it tentatively..

With the quiet work PJ & Bartlett have been doing maybe he sees the club totally differently now?

Or of course maybe the coach we seek just isn't there. Plan B now that Lord Roos has committed.

I hope not. He left the Saints in a hole and showed himself to be a man of little charactor in the process. I can't see him leaving Freo any better. Give me someone that has an eye for what he leaves behind rather than a glory hunter like Lyon.

He left the saints because the Stkilda board lost all of his money due to bad investments and he didnt know what to do. He was offered a large amount of money and accepted it so he can provide for himself and his family.

old dee is spot on.

Cannot afford anyone unproven (think Neeld)

So somehow/someway have to get Roos long term or make a big play for someone with the runs on the board - probably dreaming but - Clarkson, Chris Scott..............

He left the saints because the Stkilda board lost all of his money due to bad investments and he didnt know what to do. He was offered a large amount of money and accepted it so he can provide for himself and his family.

I thought the all your eggs in one basket investment was made when he was at the Swans but went pear shaped during his Saints tenure.

Alister Clarkson is the man, may feel he has done all he can at Hawthorn, see Melbourne as a new challenge, former player

PJ, make 6 phone calls a day until you get that signature.

• Like 1

PJ is crucial - Roos reiterated the other night that it was his relentless pursuit of him that made him come to the Dees. That's the sort of attitude and focus we need on and off the field.

My mail is he loves the club and there's no talk of moving on. It's not quite literally from the horses mouth ( ;) ), but I'm surprised he hasn't re-signed yet.

If this club is pushing for finals in 2016 I personally can't see Roos jumping ship, no matter what he's said.

Fanciful.

Roos has said on many occasions that he cannot do more than 3 years.

"Cannot."

Fanciful.

"Cannot."

probably adds to his collection of WOULDN"T coach again ...thats WOULD NOT....just saying !! :)

probably adds to his collection of WOULDN"T coach again ...thats WOULD NOT....just saying !! :)

The two are entirely different.

James McDonald has been mooted by some for at least some sort of assistant role at some stage, but looks as if he will be giving footy away altogether.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-30/james-mcdonald-to-swap-footy-for-farming

James McDonald has been mooted by some for at least some sort of assistant role at some stage, but looks as if he will be giving footy away altogether.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-30/james-mcdonald-to-swap-footy-for-farming

Makes me a bit sad that we aren't the one conducting that kind of presser/farewell message and that Junior isn't giving us that kind of love as he says farewell. :(

Fanciful.

"Cannot."

Also said mid last year he had no interest in coaching

its a long time til the ed of 2016, a lot can happen between now and then

Also said mid last year he had no interest in coaching

its a long time til the ed of 2016, a lot can happen between now and then

Like Roosy's wife divorcing him if he signs on for more after 3 years! :o

He wants to stay in some capacity after he is finished coaching which will give some mentoring to the next bloke (if we choose to go down that path). Let's be thankful for the deal we have.

He wants to stay in some capacity after he is finished coaching which will give some mentoring to the next bloke (if we choose to go down that path). Let's be thankful for the deal we have.

im very thankful

And hes already stated he would stay involved after 2016 in some capactiy anyway

Having his knowledge, expertise, experience and decision making in the long term is massive the the MFC!!

Edited by hogans_heroes

Is Roosy's son going to be drafted?

Is Roosy's son going to be drafted?

Nah, the issue as far as I can tell is that Tami has been away from the States too long and they would like to spend time between here and the US (Hawaii specifically).

• 1 month later...

Didn't see it in any other thread ............

So Caro last night on classified said Simon Goodwin is our number 1 target. Quite simply I don't know what to think but he'll have had some time at Essendon under Hird, some time under Thompson and then 2 years under Roos. Maybe instead of trying to worry about finding the perfect coach you just find someone smart, willing to learn and with good work ethic and you trust them to thrive in the post Roos system.

With no coaches sacked so far and unlikely for any to be this offseason we do have the pick of the system if we convince someone the senior coach in waiting is a good opportunity. So I'm sticking by the succession plan. With Essendon out of the finals but still up in the air with so many other things regarding coaching I wonder what the timeline for Goodwin yet alone any other interviews would be and whether we are waiting to interview candidates from the remaining 6 teams.

Sure Caro is on to Goodwin but it sounds like there's not too much leaking going around. Anyone else heard anything?

• Like 1