Cameron Ling

dazzledavey36

Today's presser suggests Ling is not an option.

It didn't suggest anything either way to be honest. Roos said both Ling and Hayes would be spoken to but he also discussed that it still might be a bit early for them. Doesn't mean they won't be considered if they tick all the boxes.

Kirk for me is a far better option than either, he has 3 years of assistant coaching under his belt already, before that played in a premiership under Roosy, knows the game plan and culture we are aiming for inside out.

• Like 2

Absolutely fantastic footballer would be the obvious one Machsy. Did you never see him play?

Also a pretty handy leader, communicator, personality for coaching.

• Like 1

No-one without proper coaching credentials should be considered. It's ridiculous how some make judgements based on being impressed by some random reflections about the game made during a TV broadcast.

We need someone with lots of experience, preferably at more than one club. And not necessarily assistants from premiership clubs. Might be even better to try an experienced assistant who's resume includes a stint or two at another struggling club.

No-one without proper coaching credentials should be considered. It's ridiculous how some make judgements based on being impressed by some random reflections about the game made during a TV broadcast.

We need someone with lots of experience, preferably at more than one club. And not necessarily assistants from premiership clubs. Might be even better to try an experienced assistant who's resume includes a stint or two at another struggling club.

Lenny Hayes was and is a leader, stood up when needed and was always cool in times of extreme pressure. Made on field moves as mentioned by Ross Lyon when he left it up to the players to make some changes they felt were right and which didn't waiver to far from the overall plan. Don't see Kirk being a no brainer I think all 3 Ling, Kirk and Hayes all have leadership qualities written all over them.

Hayes knows the game plan via Lyon

Kirk knows the game plan via Roos

Lingy has been around enough and is smart enough to adjust to it quick enough.

All 3 could do 2 years under Roos with a transition, but going to be a hard choice

• Like 3

I'd like to see Ling taken on board, but not as successor.

That should probably go to Kirk.

Being an assistant in a coaching dept with Roos and Kirk would be pretty enticing, and would be a great development phase for Ling to be a head coach in time.

Apparently also vying for Ling are Richmond and Geelong.

I'm trying not to laugh at Richmond as a proposition.

Geelong would be great, with guys like Lappin and Caracella, but all too familiar for Ling.

Surely we'd be in the box seat.

I'd like to see Ling taken on board, but not as successor.

That should probably go to Kirk.

Being an assistant in a coaching dept with Roos and Kirk would be pretty enticing, and would be a great development phase for Ling to be a head coach in time.

Apparently also vying for Ling are Richmond and Geelong.

I'm trying not to laugh at Richmond as a proposition.

Geelong would be great, with guys like Lappin and Caracella, but all too familiar for Ling.

Surely we'd be in the box seat.

I have heard North Melbourne are very interested in getting him on board full time also, I believe he is doing some part time mentoring or something along those lines there at the moment.

I doubt he'd stay on at North.

Yeah I tend to agree, I think learning under Stone and Roosy is a pretty good opportunity, and the stage of the rebuild puts him in a good position to learn how to when he takes over a club, effect some similar rebuilding tactics and try and implement culture and such

Maybe Lingy could bring in the first all ginger coaching group?

yeah, but 'Lingy', that nickname has to go. its just not Melbourne enough. get him a haircut & a decent suit first, & some laser treatment to shed some old facial skin & freckles. he'd be sumthin.

oh & some elocution wouldn't go astray... we could turn him around like we did with Danners, after his second year. make him media presentable like a front man of melbourne oughta be.

Would like to see Ling coach his own team (Casey) before coming on as senior coach. Or run two roles concurrently: Full time Casey Coach and part time Demons Assistant coach (eg on-ballers defensive stratetgy/ball movement coach). Commence some study/frormal training in that time. This way he learns on the job, shows what he can achieve with his own team and works towards 'accreditation'.

A by-product of this would be greater synergy of the Demon and Casey game plans, development etc and Ling could start to influence/develop the Demon team he inherits before he gets the senior gig.

Brad Scott in The Age on trying to keep Ling:

"He's probably not grumpy enough yet, but that will come with a bit of experience in the chair," Scott said.

"He's an outstanding person, but he would be the first to admit though that coaching isn't something that ex-players just fall into.

"Coaching is something you have to learn, coaching is a profession.

"You just don't automatically get the right to be a good coach because you've been a good player.

"But in terms of the character traits that good coaches possess, Lingy has most of them."

I wonder if appointing the Paddle Pop Lion means free paddle pops for all?

I do not know either of these men personally, as i do not know Roos personally.

Has any of you been in a coaches box during a game? What about sitting in your office while Liam Jarrah informs you he has been arrested for assult? What about consoling a player that has been suffering for depression and considering retirement?

I'm just happy it is not going to be any of you guys.