Casey Scorpions v Williamstown

KC from Casey

The Scorpions have another tough assignment his week. They host top four contenders Williamstown.

Peter Jackson VFL

CASEY SCORPIONS v WILLIAMSTOWN

Saturday 28th June 2014

Casey Fields at 2.00pm

CASEY SCORPIONS

B: Terlich Georgiou Welsh

HB: Nicholson Panozza Strauss

C: Blease Riley Barry

HF: Tapscott Fitzpatrick Salem

F: Kennedy-Harris Davis Clisby

FOLL: Gawn Evans Michie

I/C (from): Anderson Best Corry Harmes

King Morris Page Petropoulos Rutherford Scott Shiels Thomas Toumpas

WILLIAMSTOWN

B: Charleston Faulks Fahey

HB: Sing Mangan Johnstone

C: Marcon Jolley Bewley*

HF: Davies Casley Lambert

F: Masters Clouston Conway

FOLL: Meese Carr Banner

I/C (from): Anastastio Dorgan Gibbons Hetherington McCallum McKenzie Owen Tighe Woods

* 23rd player

AFL Victoria Development League

CASEY SCORPIONS v WILLIAMSTOWN

Saturday 28th June 2014

Casey Fields at 11.00am

CASEY SCORPIONS

B: Collins Waters Meadows

HB: J McDonald Corrigan Godfrey

C: West Anderson Corry

HF: Best Shiels Lang

F: Saunders King Petropoulos

FOLL: Thomas Drew Morris

I/C (from): Bundle Currie Davidson Del Papa Gawley Hillard Jackson Murray

Paredes Pears Symons Westrupp Winderlich

WILLIAMSTOWN

B: Mead Nixon Miller

HB: Cashman Currie McKenzie

C: Wyatt Deery Hogton

HF: Gallucci Hayes Nastasi

F: Bench Flack Greiser

FOLL: Walsh Bugeja Adams

I/C (from): Bese Christodoulou Giles Hickey Hutchesson Merlo Walker

Toumpas on extended bench of Casey while Wines tearing it up in the midfield for top of the table Port.

boring and predictable

• Like 9

Good to see King back. Hopefully he can return and successfully continue to develop and give a little chop out to fitzy and gawny

The Casey seniors or the MFC?

What a disappointment he has been.

For a pick 4 it is starting to get really worrying.

Blease is now gone. If Roos plays Nicholson ahead of him that says it all. Under the roof, dry ground , Blease's pace would have been very handy. Has been in our best 3 at Casey often but still overlooked.

• Like 1

For a pick 4 it is starting to get really worrying.

Blease is now gone. If Roos plays Nicholson ahead of him that says it all. Under the roof, dry ground , Blease's pace would have been very handy. Has been in our best 3 at Casey often but still overlooked.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=6&pid1=510&fid1=O&tid2=12&pid2=3798&fid2=O&type=A

Give the kid time FFS..

• Like 1

Yes, it's so very disappointing.

We desperately need our high draft picks to perform, and they really can't seem to get it happening.

We need them, and they have let us, the fans - and unfortunately themselves, too - down.

I'm really hopeful that Toumpas can turn it around but both Blease and Strauss look shot, at this stage.

Typical comment...

possibly because its the typical scenario.

Another cpl years and he'll be fine.....

possibly because its the typical scenario.

Another cpl years and he'll be fine.....

Correct.

It still amazes me some supporters can't see the big picture and give up on our young players when they don't play like guns from their first game...

We'll be relying less and less on high picks going fwd ;)

Correct.

It still amazes me some supporters can't see the big picture and give up on our young players when they don't play like guns from their first game...

The huge picture that Morton Cook and Gysberts painted? Think we have all seen that one...

Williamstown is a stand alone VFL team this year and looking at its line up I can't see many names with which I'm familiar. Casey, on the other hand, even with the deletion of names of the players who are playing for Melbourne tomorrow, will have 12 AFL listed players (allowing for 1 player to be held back as emergency). It really doesn't say very much about our depth if Williamstown is a firm favourite and it says even less about the quality of the VFL listed players at the club.

The players most under the gun for the future would have to be the trio of top 20 draft picks in Blease, Strauss and Tapscott who haven't played a single game for Melbourne this year. For Blease who has been averaging in the high 20's for disposals in difficult conditions in recent weeks suggests he is completely out of favour with Roos who obviously doesn't like his style of play. And to think, he once kicked five goals against St. Kilda when they were still a top side and Melbiurne these days struggles to find players who can break the lines and score.

Correct.

The huge picture that Morton Cook and Gysberts painted? Think we have all seen that one...

Unfortunately, in the case of Gysberts, it was all downhill after his first game, which was pretty bloody good. I thinks most here would have suspected that we had picked up a gem.

Im a Toump fan, i like him.

Right now though, he does not look like it, and its easy for people to say the Wines argument is boring and typical, but right now as we speak.. we got it wrong. Cant deny it, cant argue against it. i want Jimmy to be a good player, and hope and think he will be.

• Like 1

Some cards are definitely marked already.

You would have to think Strauss, Tapscott, Blease, would be feeling a mite jittery, That player who I'm not allowed to mention needs to find something as well!

Unfortunately, in the case of Gysberts, it was all downhill after his first game, which was pretty bloody good. I thinks most here would have suspected that we had picked up a gem.

The Gysberts story has not been written and probably only known to a few.

Gysberts averaged around 20 possessions per game and after getting 26 and 27 disposals respectively in his first 2 games he injured is back in the third and missed the rest of the season. In his second season he played 15 games despite missing most of the preseason with a back injury. In its wisdom the MFC insisted he attend the China trip despite having a disk problem in his back and the subsequent travel worsened his injury. His stats and his performance in his second season were exceptional despite the mismanagement and he regularly obtained more than 20 possessions and achieved 30 in one. His numbers are not dissimilar to Jack Viney's.

Of course we then needed to toughen up and Neeld arrived. Gysberts promising career ended and despite going to North Melbourne at the end of the season the damage had been done and his interest in an AFL career gone and he finished his career going through the motions in the VFL with no desire to go further.

He is probably the biggest loss of the Neeld years and the greatest example of mismanagement I've seen. If Roos had arrived at MFC in 2012 instead of Neeld we'd have an A grade mid.

Football departments objectives are to provide an environment for players to be as good as they can be but for Gysberts the opposite was the case. Say what you like but he was a kid who against Geelong, a powerhouse, in his first game showed he had one of the most important skills in AFL footy - he could get the ball and use it pretty well. Although he wasn't a long kick he was proficient over shorter distances, he had very clean hands and he had vision.

He is vilified here because he promised so much early and people are disappointed but the reality is he was grossly mismanaged and a great talent was lost.

Comments like "it was all downhill after his first game" are just wrong.

• Like 7

No..it was still downhill. Any number of reasons but direction still the same

• Like 1