Demonland Player of the Year - Round 13

Demonland

Nathan Jones is our leader and favourite to make it a threepeat with Dom Tyson and Lynden Dunn making up the places.

When will someone in the media start talking Dunn up as a potential All Australian?

139. Nathan Jones

106. Dom Tyson

90. Lynden Dunn

50. Daniel Cross

49. Jack Viney

39. Bernie Vince

33. Jack Watts

29. James Frawley

28. Matt Jones Cam Pedersen

27. Chris Dawes

24. Tom McDonald

17. Jeremy Howe

15. Mark Jamar

14. Jack Grimes

11. Rohan Bail

8. Jay Kennedy-Harris Jordie McKenzie

7. Neville Jetta

6. Alexis Georgiou Jimmy Toumpas

5. Dean Kent

4. Dean Terlich

3. Jack Trengove

2. Shannon Byrnes Jake Spencer

1. Max Gawn

6- Dunn

5- Nathan Jones

4- MacDonald

3- Kent

2- McKenzie

1- Tyson

A record 14 players polling votes this week.

Dunny moves past the Dominator to snag second spot.

Nev Jetta continues his charge upward.

Unofficial Tally (sample of 10 votes)

1. N Jones - 436
  2. Dunn - 305 (^1)
  3. Tyson - 282
  4. Pedersen - 189
  5. Cross - 181
  6. Viney - 157
  7. Vince - 113
  8. Dawes - 102
  9. Frawley - 92
  10. Watts - 91
  11. Jetta - 82 (^3)
  12. Jamar - 73 (^1)
  13. Howe - 70
  14. M Jones - 64
  15. Grimes - 61 (^1)
  16. McDonald - 55
  17. Kennedy-Harris - 33
  18. Kent - 33 (new)
  19. Spencer - 23
  20. Georgiou - 20

Bail - 19

Byrnes - 10

Toumpas - 9

Terlich - 8

McKenzie - 5

Gawn - 3

Trengove - 3

Salem - 3

Best 5 per round (in order of votes):

Rd 1 (St K): Watts, N Jones, Dunn, Tyson, Vince

Rd 2 (WC) N Jones, Dunn, Tyson, Cross, Frawley

Rd 3 (GWS): Tyson, Pedersen, Howe, McDonald, Cross

Rd 4 (Carl): N Jones, Frawley, Grimes, Spencer, Bail

Rd 5 (GC): N Jones, Viney, Dawes, Frawley, Cross

Rd 6 (Syd): Dunn, Pedersen, M Jones, N Jones, Vince

Rd 7 (Adel): Dawes, Viney, Tyson, JKH, Vince/Jamar/Jetta

Rd 8 (WB): Tyson, Jamar, Cross, Howe, Viney

Rd 9 (Rich): N Jones, Pedersen, Tyson, Viney, Howe

Rd 10 (Bye)

Rd 11 (Port): Dunn, Tyson/Pedersen, Jetta, N Jones, Cross

Rd 12 (Coll): Dunn/Jones, Pedersen, Vince, Jetta, Cross

Rd 13 (Ess): Dunn, N Jones, Kent, Jetta, Grimes

Edited by P-man
  • Like 2

A record 14 players polling votes this week.

Without doing the addition, I was going to comment that it is nice to see that so many people think that different players deserve votes - that points to an even contribution.

• Like 1

Dunn will give the B&F a shake this year. I don't reckon the gap between he and Nathan is anywhere near as large as these voting systems indicate.

He's found a level of consistency that I didn't think was in him.

• Like 2

Dunn will give the B&F a shake this year. I don't reckon the gap between he and Nathan is anywhere near as large as these voting systems indicate.

He's found a level of consistency that I didn't think was in him.

He is on track to be AA, and I say that without a hint of bias. He genuinely is. It's remarkable.

• Like 1

When will someone in the media start talking Dunn up as a potential All Australian?

Today, in the Herald Sun

I must have watched a different game to most other posters here. I cannot see how Kent makes the top 6. Yes, he contributed well, but he wouldn't make my top 10. With such a huge inside 50 differential, I had to give the top three to the best three defenders (and apologies to Jetta for not including him).

6. Dunn

5. McDonald (even with his errant disposals)

4. Grimes

3. Jamar

2. N Jones

1. Watts

Edit: clarifying which Jones (although I think it's probably obvious)

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia

5. McDonald (even with his errant disposals)

I forgive every errant disposal he has ever made because after watching the "Salem goal" passage of play it was his run back into the corridor with a superb handpass to Tyson that broke open that piece of play.

I keep watching that last play and marvel at it.

The ferocity of the Vince tackle to break the ball free - monstered

Pederson ducking under the Hocking tackle and rocketing a handball to Jones - committed.

Jones kicks to the Frawley contest

Frawley bashed around the ears in between two Essendon players- presented hard

McKenzie gathers the ball and shrugs a tackle - strong

Frawley got back his feet immediately after being pole-axed.

McKenzie handballs into Frawley - high risk and inventive

Frawley surrounded, lightening quick handballs back to McKenzie - have a look at the pace of this move - unbelievable.

McKenzie to Tommy Mac - this is pivotal - he decides to run into the corridor and handpasses to Tyson who is under pressure.

Tyson handballs under pressure delivers to Viney - the pressure he was under meant he could have coughed the ball up to anyone

Viney held for the ball for a split second longer waiting for the contact and drawing a man then handpassed to cross just as the contact came.

When Cross had the ball and Salem ran into space Dawes spreads wide creating separation between him and Salem and the one defender left.

Cross's deft pass hits the mark and Salem cool as a cucumber drills it .

( also watch how far back both Viney and Cross came to create the options)

I know we all saw the same thing - but this passage was executed after 120 minutes of football - and under extreme pressure. It was inventive and executed to perfection

I reckon if you gave them 5 goes again to execute that play they wouldn't get it right ! It was sublime.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 10

I'm loving your joy Nut, beautifully described.

It is so rare that you see the "complete package" - this play was courageous, inventive, daring and perfectly executed.

I'll stop now.

• Like 1

It is so rare that you see the "complete package" - this play was courageous, inventive, daring and perfectly executed.

I'll stop now.

okay I wont stop - after my 10932 watch of the clip - I can't pick up who were trailing Viney and Cross but they were 10 metres behind them after the pair of them took off and didn't make the effort to keep with them.

One part to look at closely is where Tommy Mc is when Jones kicks to the Frawley contest - he is standing right next to Chapman and a good 40 metres off the next contest - although it is a long camera shot he looks spent. He then gets himself to the contest to take the receive from McKenzie and Chapman is struggling 10 metres behind him. Shame Chappy Shame !

This wasn't only about perfect execution - is was as much about willing yourself to a contest.

OK. NOW I'll stop.

• Like 1

okay I wont stop - after my 10932 watch of the clip

Hah, I've got to confess I've watched it a million times as well (and I *still* haven't seen the rest of the game - though it seems to have finally appeared on the SmartReplay thingy). Seeing McDonald charge inboard and hand off to Tyson still makes the hairs on my arms stand up.

• Like 3

okay I wont stop - after my 10932 watch of the clip - I can't pick up who were trailing Viney and Cross but they were 10 metres behind them after the pair of them took off and didn't make the effort to keep with them.

One part to look at closely is where Tommy Mc is when Jones kicks to the Frawley contest - he is standing right next to Chapman and a good 40 metres off the next contest - although it is a long camera shot he looks spent. He then gets himself to the contest to take the receive from McKenzie and Chapman is struggling 10 metres behind him. Shame Chappy Shame !

This wasn't only about perfect execution - is was as much about willing yourself to a contest.

OK. NOW I'll stop.

Oh why stop now Nut?! :-) From Vinces tackle to Salems mark = 13 fine things in succession in 28 seconds!!

Frawleys quick recovery to receive Jordies handpass and in a tenth of a second he's directed a perfect left handpass back to Jordie between the 2 Dons, #12 Baguley closing so fast on Tyson, but he gets it to Viney.....

Most enjoyable passage I've seen for years. Ok I'll stop now

• Like 1