• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GOODBYE MR. CHIP FRAWLEY

Frawley  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You have to pay between 95% (was raised from 92.5% a couple of years ago) and 100% of the salary cap each year. The salary cap is set to be $10.071 million in 2015, this includes all guaranteed base payments and any performance incentives (games played and other KPI's) for the 40 main list players and the 4-6 rookie list players. For each veteran on your list (10+ years) you get an extra 1.23% (~$115,000) on the salary cap and there are concessions available for the inclusion of rookie players (up to 50% of a players wage) based on the number of rookies you have.

Hopefully that's gives you a basic overview of the salary cap/ list management.

Welcome Beats - I am impressed.

A few more things for dpositive - injury payments are taken into for the cap aswell and that can really push out the numbers if fringe players are on 'match payment' contracts where you don't think they will play much but their wage jumps as they play twice as much and earn another $50k.

And with the bolded - the vets allowance is being chopped over the next couple of years. Geelong were allowed to pay 9 players and that adds up... Soon Vets will have their own cap of about $400k that is reserved for them.

So the AFL introduces something and scraps it over a period of about 3 years...

It's laughable if it wasn't so frustrating - let me at the rules goddamnit! Mine would be pretty bloody good - I will do a thread on that soon.

Welcome Beats - I am impressed.

A few more things for dpositive - injury payments are taken into for the cap aswell and that can really push out the numbers if fringe players are on 'match payment' contracts where you don't think they will play much but their wage jumps as they play twice as much and earn another $50k.

And with the bolded - the vets allowance is being chopped over the next couple of years. Geelong were allowed to pay 9 players and that adds up... Soon Vets will have their own cap of about $400k that is reserved for them.

So the AFL introduces something and scraps it over a period of about 3 years...

It's laughable if it wasn't so frustrating - let me at the rules goddamnit! Mine would be pretty bloody good - I will do a thread on that soon.

Mmm, my thoughts are that in times of free agency (and especially with the new rolling salary cap rule coming in) that there shouldn't be any allowances for Veterans. I didn't realise the 400k mark had been set, but to me that's a major issue. The veterans list was created to ensure that senior players were paid an amount close to market value as changing teams was difficult for players, now that free agency is in place they have the option to change teams and be paid at market value.

Example: Scott Pendlebury will be 28 in 2016 and will likely still be at the top of his powers. We offer him $1mil per year, which will fall under our salary cap. If Collingwood have no other Veterans they can offer him $1mil a year, but 400k of his salary would fall outside the cap. This would allow them to bring in a good young player on that 400k or so per year difference. It's essentially rewarding teams for the good luck of having a player play 10+ years at the club.

• Like 1

Thanks beats

I will certainly need time to digest this and will probably enjoy RPFC's comments before I get a handle on my thoughts.

Like most things I just support the club and believe that our officials know how it works and are improving things to match other clubs. but as said it is a frustration when you can see the blindingly obvious. We dont match up YET.

world championship wrestling is one kind of fake; Essendon's approach to the ASADA investigation shows a non-sport motivation there, and undermines assumptions on which the naive supporter follows the game; and, if loyalty to community and players is eroded on a large scale by FA (in the players' pursuit of money and disregard for community and loyalty) then what the game has always been built on takes another hit. Taking a battering...

Football is changing visibly, showing how it has been changing in the backrooms for a while, and I ask myself do I like it? Am I invested in the way we all used to be? I can't think that I - or maybe many of us - am/are. Somehow it feels like we have become just the punters, the "mark" that a corporatised organisation feeds stuff to, while keeping their eye entirely on the dollar. Disappointing.

The thing for me is, the wrestling is fake and we know it. Watch it only for a laugh, if at all. But now we've heard of cricket, soccer, etc being corrupted at high levels with match-fixing; and in whole countries, plus spread throughout cycling, swimming, weightlifting, sprinting, etc - and now Essendon - a constant chemical warfare to stay ahead or legally weasel out of being stopped from winning by means of cheating with drugs. What sport is "clean"? - how pointless has it become to watch in admiration? The ancient Greeks saw nobility and respect for the gods who made us as the over-riding thoughts about success at sport, and I reckon a lot of us have had thinking that was not too different. We just loved seeing prowess and the whole thing coming together and being inspired on the day. I used to love the characteristic humility of Australia's tennis champions. The "whatever it takes" posters, who attack our players and talk of culls, may be able to adapt to the changing (or changed) nature of sport, but others of us are really struggling, and not sure we want to get there.

• Like 2

Agreed. Any Melbourne supporter can tell from his body language on field and off. He's either mentally checked out (think the round 2 loss was the kicker) or the contact delays are having a discernibly negative effect on his performance.

He's fully entitled to withhold his intentions from the club, but I don't think he's doing himself or this team any favors right now.

Sydney Swans....

Goodes retires....

O'Keefe retires.....

There's 800-900k at least?

Imagine the uproar if the Swans landed Frawley

Mmm, my thoughts are that in times of free agency (and especially with the new rolling salary cap rule coming in) that there shouldn't be any allowances for Veterans.

I disagree. The Vets allowance encourages players to stay with their current club (what the supporters want) while allowing players to be paid market value (which is what the players want). It's a reward for the loyalty of the club and the player, which ends up benefitting both of them.

• Like 1

The AFL must create a max contract rule ASAP and i am surprised it has not happened sooner after the Buddy Fiasco of last year. Only thing i can think the AFLPA would be saying no to this possibility?

I would say a max contract length of 5 years would be sufficient and accepted?

Cant see any Vic based club offer the requested 7 years, i think both QLD clubs and GWS will be pushing heaven and earth to get him. All in need of a KPD, GWS more than GC and Lions obviously. Saying that, GC are closer to instant success than GWS and Brisbane and the location is and will always be miles ahead. I think it will be Gold Coast if he leaves.

Edited by Mousey
  • Like 2