GOODBYE MR. CHIP FRAWLEY

Frawley  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

His lack of importance to the club.. FFS Why are people thinking we need him so badly.???.. He will NEVER be a match winner (in my opinion)... We need players that at least APPEAR to have the MFC at heart..Frawley is not one of them..!!

Yes but this is demonland...

And there are posters on here who will vehemently defend any player that plays for us, regardless of their ability, value to the CLUB or any other logical reasoning suggesting that individual is not worth persisting with.

It's great.

• Like 1

I really dont care less if a player wished to exercise his earnings. Fair's fair. Its the bullshlt that irks me.

All this excuse making .

Id even prefer a straight fwd . "I'll consider options at seasons end til then there's a job to do and Ill concentrate on that "

not the soft boot shuffle and eyes off the job.

Im not sure that the players are totally to blame either. Its still early times in the world of FA but some are obviously better at it than others.

• Like 3

Yes but this is demonland...

And there are posters on here who will vehemently defend any player that plays for us, regardless of their ability, value to the CLUB or any other logical reasoning suggesting that individual is not worth persisting with.

It's great.

And there are also posters who will happily slam a player if they postpone contract talks and tell all and sundry that we don't need them on our list to make themselves feel better when they inevitably leave.

I'm not saying I'm saying we keep him as I'm still on the fence, but it goes both ways on here. While he has his deficiencies we need to remember that, yes, he can play at an AA level and that decent tall backmen don't grow on trees. Just ask the Dogs, Saints and Blues for example.

• Like 5

he PLAYED at AA level for a season...never been repeated

talk about dining out on a logie eetc

• Like 1

Exactly. I didn't say he was playing at that level or that he had been for the last couple of years. I merely said he has the talent to play at that level.

And to be fair, it's been hard to play at that level of football with what's been happening on the field over the past two seasons. If you're going to have a crack at how he's been playing we can at least acknowledge how hard it's been to play in our backline.

• Like 2

And there are also posters who will happily slam a player if they postpone contract talks and tell all and sundry that we don't need them on our list to make themselves feel better when they inevitably leave.

I'm not saying I'm saying we keep him as I'm still on the fence, but it goes both ways on here. While he has his deficiencies we need to remember that, yes, he can play at an AA level and that decent tall backmen don't grow on trees. Just ask the Dogs, Saints and Blues for example.

Please refer back to my recent posts in regards to his contract situation and my position on it. I can't be bothered explaining but it's hilarious that you and a few others keep dropping that dribble about 'making myself feel better'.

Decent backmen don't grow on trees? Its pointless arguing with someone who clearly can't see that our backline happens to be functioning fine without him at present. Team defence > an individual backman's defence. Dunn, McDonald, Garland all seem to be pretty good one on one defenders.

Been hard for everyone.

Please refer back to my recent posts in regards to his contract situation and my position on it. I can't be bothered explaining but it's hilarious that you and a few others keep dropping that dribble about 'making myself feel better'.

Decent backmen don't grow on trees? Its pointless arguing with someone who clearly can't see that our backline happens to be functioning fine without him at present. Team defence > an individual backman's defence. Dunn, McDonald, Garland all seem to be pretty good one on one defenders.

I made a general comment about where other posters stand on the issue. Did I say that was you? No. Our backline has been good, no doubt about it or argument from me, but you don't just let tall players with talent walk out the door easily. Some supporters are too flippant about what he can bring to the table.

I made a general comment about where other posters stand on the issue. Did I say that was you? No. Our backline has been good, no doubt about it or argument from me, but you don't just let tall players with talent walk out the door easily. Some supporters are too flippant about what he can bring to the table.

What do you mean walk out the door easily?! It's free agency? And we'll be receiving band one compo?

I give up.

What do you mean walk out the door easily?! It's free agency? And we'll be receiving band one compo?

I give up.

Give up because I don't totally share your opinion? Please.

Band one compo is great but is no guarantee of improving our list.

I give up.

There a few steps between compensation and the midfielder(s) that you would to get - that is something you must admit - it is the blasé sense that this Pick 5/6/7 is better than Frawley...

We just do not know.

• Like 2

Frawley's biggest asset to us which will help the future of our club is the compo pick that we'd receive for him if he left.

Midfield > Frawley.

There a few steps between compensation and the midfielder(s) that you would to get - that is something you must admit - it is the blasé sense that this Pick 5/6/7 is better than Frawley...

We just do not know.

...and there's no guarantee we will get band one compo.

Doubt Frawley will leave if he's only getting low-ball numbers from other clubs. He's leaving for a treasure chest.

And with no other free agents left that clubs will bother pursuing, the hoards of salary cap space multiple clubs (including at least $1mil at Hawthorn) have saved up need to go to someone.

The [censored] can go. He's clearly not man enough to tell the club he's out, this is just T$ 2.0. The moment Roos knows he's gone he'll be dropped from the squad anyway, so that'd compound the lie factor. Would be great timing if Hogan can make it in for the last 3-4 rounds.

Edited by Lamashtu

We just do not know.

My point was, (in that particular post) that he's not walking for nothing. We will be getting good compensation.

And my belief is that our list will benefit greatly from Frawley's departure with the potential for luring a star or going to the draft with the pick we receive.

Of course we don't know, but it's my view.

The pick would significantly increase our chances of nabbing a star midfielder..

And yet posters on here who think Dunn was our most important re-signing... Go back to 2 seasons. How many were calling for that spuds delisting *

*The term spud has been included for dramatic effect and does reflect the authors opinion of said footballer

• Like 1

Alex McDonald manages all of Frawley, McDonald and Garland.

Tom McDonald is also out of contract come seasons end and I would have thought we'd have stitched him up by now.

Alex McDonald is Hawthorn through and through. He was instrumental in getting Gunston from the crows to the hawks.

My 'gut feeling' is that Frawley will be a hawk next year and as Alex knows what's in the pipe works he is holding out on Tom Macs contract so that we'll pay overs for him when it's announced chippa's gone...

Just to keep this balanced. I am not seeing many here calling him a superstar. Some here see some value in what he brings to the table. Some hope that Roos and co can get him playing as he played in his AA year. Some are concerned with exactly what we could get in return for him (an untried kid ? An unnamed ready made player we trade for?). But I can't see too many not recognising his flaws.

This is not black and white for me and there are no guarantees on either side of the argument.

• Like 2

I will mention Boak and Cloke.

Criticise his onfield leadership, he deserves it. Criticise his inconsistency.

But I for one do not think that a player taking full advantage of his earned FA is failed leadership.

This is a very public contract discussion and comparisons to other leaders are fraught. I have heard that Nathan Jones was very close to being a Bomber a couple years ago. Does that make him less of a leader of that group? Or even our club?

I don't think it does, he is leading professional football players, and he has been faultless as the face of this footy club in the last few years.

If and I say "if" his management is sitting down with other clubs and not ours then he probably deserves criticism. Edited by jabberwocky

If and I say "if" his management is sitting down with other clubs and not ours then he probably deserves criticism.

would be normal practice to field offers and talk none the less. Thats not the thing, its if its gone beyond

Alex McDonald manages all of Frawley, McDonald and Garland.

Tom McDonald is also out of contract come seasons end and I would have thought we'd have stitched him up by now.

Alex McDonald is Hawthorn through and through. He was instrumental in getting Gunston from the crows to the hawks.

My 'gut feeling' is that Frawley will be a hawk next year and as Alex knows what's in the pipe works he is holding out on Tom Macs contract so that we'll pay overs for him when it's announced chippa's gone...

He is also James McDonald's brother yeah? Wondering if there could still be some bitter feelings towards the club that unceremoniously ditched his brother.

At this stage I'm not really fussed iof Frawley goes if it means we get a top 5 or 6 pick. A pick 20 or so though wouldn't be anywhere near enough and there's not many players left for us to throw huge dollars at that the Clark & Frawley salarioes would elave - maybe Dangerfield?

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2

Not getting into an argument about JFs future,But PRs comments last night summed up the situation quite well.

• Like 1

Obviously, it would be great if JF stayed. He is a 25yr old AA defender, they are hard to find.

However, our team dynamic has changed over the past 9 months. We are no longer reliant on one player, if JF leaves, someone else needs to step up.

Clark leaving and Pedersen stepping up is the prime example of this. Good teams retain players, but also, if they lose them, they move on quickly and find someone better.

Georgiou is a good gap filler for a while, can do a shut down role if needed, and then we look to develop another KB alongside Tommy and Garlo.

Good teams are made up of 30 good players, not just a handful, and we are heading in the right direction.

• Like 1

I ask myself some questions regarding this situation;

- Would our backline be better with Frawley in it? I am in no doubt it would be.

- If a club, let's say Hawthorn, are willing to offer him reasonable money to join them, then why? They are not going to pay overs for a bloke, so clearly another club would see that he would improve their backline too. Makes me confirm the answer to my first question.

Because of the answers to the above, I then ask;

- Why would we let someone go, who obviously makes our backline better, just so he can go and make another team's backline better? I don't use the compensation of a draft pick to cloud my judgement in trying to work out my answer to that.

STMJ mentioned that our compensation pick would significantly increase our chances of nabbing a star midfielder. Seriously? I find it funny how some think Frawley is an absolute spud, then put their hands out for a 1st round compo pick. Yes, there is a formula used, but why would another team pay top dollar for this so called "spud"? In my view, and I think it's pretty accurate, he'll need to be offered $600k minimum for us to qualify for a pick immediately after our first. Some on here wouldn't be willing to pay $400k for him, yet are happy to spend the top 5 pick they think we will get for him.

Only on Demonland!

Get used to it. This is what FA is all about. Rivers, Sylvia and Beemer didn't hurt us. In fact we are better off.

So if he goes he goes. So long as we get decent compo - as we did with $cully - then Roos will trade for a good replacement.

And if we are being honest there are good replacements for Frawley who has not played anywhere near his AA year.

• Like 3