Post Match Discussion - Round 9

Nasher

Does anyone think that Dawes will be suspended for his head high fend off?

I reckon he might have a week or two off.

Hope not but this is Melbourne and we always (sorry most of the time) get screwed over.

WYL, give it a rest [censored]. Just for a week, that's all.

I am merely giving my opinion. If you don't like it well fine. But i am only going on what i have seen.

They are both the same age. Wines is streaks ahead.

But the Toump was ok today. If he improves great.

I do not want him to fail even if you think i do.

how good was that......roosy really does know how teach and motivate

considering our game plan is still being developed there is still a lot of upside to come

few people here need to eat pedo's shorts too. he was fantastic and into everything

• Like 5

Just extended his contract for 2 years in December!! Told my Richmond cousin stupid move because he should be gone this year if they don't make finals. They need a better coach and they've also got too many recycled players going around, a couple to play roles is fine but 6 or 8 is too many.

I'm not sure they had much choice with GC and GWS coming in right when they were rebuilding but as I've said before it is why they were never going to be a premiership threat with this group. Last year is as good as it gets for them.

As for Harwick, he seems a really good guy and is probably a good development coach but he really lacks as a match day coach. Again soundly beaten today and Roos hasn't even started coaching yet, or so he says.

MY old Dad and I made a last minute dash to the 'G today. Missed a bit of the first quarter and had to hike a fair way to find a seat, but it turned out to be a great decision. Awesome game to watch.

I note that today Howe was marking instead of trying to punch the bell. Many on here made that call after last week and it looks like the coaches agreed and told him to back himself in.

That was just a great team effort from the boys, everyone put in and while there were a few truly shocking turnovers I don't think we had any passengers today. If we can cut out the fumbles in tight spaces and improve our f50 entries a bit we'll be able to take it up to some of the top sides with an attitude like that.

I have to note that Cross is still looking like the recruit of the year. His assurance on the ground is amazing. He knows exactly where he needs to go, he demands the ball with real authority and he forces turnovers constantly.

• Like 6

Umpires are against us . Sandy was calling M Jones Terlich on fox . Viney unreal with so much upside .after some clangers the guys didnt retreat . Great team effort Pedo and Dawes hurting with tackles etc .really enjoyed today .

The umpires were bad today but not anti-Melbourne. There were 4 shockers against us early in the 3rd quarter which got the blood and the voice flowing but the Tiges got ripped off a few times too. It is more that the Umps missed a lot of clear freer kicks on both sides and paid some real soft ones.

I'm not sure they had much choice with GC and GWS coming in right when they were rebuilding but as I've said before it is why they were never going to be a premiership threat with this group. Last year is as good as it gets for them.

As for Harwick, he seems a really good guy and is probably a good development coach but he really lacks as a match day coach. Again soundly beaten today and Roos hasn't even started coaching yet, or so he says.

I can hear drums beating in the distance.

I have to draw attention to our backline brain fade, rancid skill, weak turnovers and especially the ones that lead directly to scoring shots. We have got to eradicate this or the really good teams will annihilate us.

Matt Jones at least makes up for it with some great forward run.

I still can't completely trust Terlich in a one-on-one contest, kicking inside defensive 50, or decision makling in a handball chain. He works very hard and takes some good intercept marks but he is always a bit shaky.

Tom Mac is frightening on the run. Tall, quick and often beats his opponent but he is in the Ben Holland class of "please handball". His decision making is frightening.

Howe's turnover was a genuine howler (no pun intended) but he had a great game.

I don't know what the answer is but it makes my guts turn when at the game. Are Terlich and T Mac solid in their positions?

IMO Terlich is improving his skills.

TMac is quick and loses his opponent but then he runs to fast for his brain to keep up and gets flustered. I am sure Roos is working with him on this.

I thought that while Grimes did good things his turnovers were horrific. He is the captain and needs to get that out if his game ASAP.

• Like 4

The good folks on SEN were discussing Richmond's difficulties this year and said that all of their run and carry last season was generated from the HB line and this is where a lot of their scoring came from. Teams this year have been tagging the HB playmakers and zoning into their space to prevent them from generating that run and they haven't been able to work through it or switch to a plan B. We saw a few times togay they managed to get that running game going and they cut us to ribbons, but more often we were able to shut it down and force them to stop and start and when that happens their motion up-field ceases and they suddenly have nothing to pass to.

I thought Watts was sensational today, he did all the things we have accused I'm of not doing in the past, I'm as guilty as anyone. Ever since Roos had a dip at both he and Howe they have improved immeasurably and I reckon today was the making of Wattsy and just showed how good Howe is.

We still make mistakes and that's why the top teams will probably beat us, but as time goes by we will make fewer mistakes and games will all of a sudden be winnable. One thing that we must do is try to keep Cross playing for a few more years, he is a gem and just backs up, contest after contest.

Pederson, what can you say he is playing out of his skin at the moment and just gets better every week, boy has he turned it around. I'm glad that Roos has shown more faith in some of the players than I have.

• Like 12

IMO Terlich is improving his skills.

TMac is quick and loses his opponent but then he runs to fast for his brain to keep up and gets flustered. I am sure Roos is working with him on this.

I thought that while Grimes did good things his turnovers were horrific. He is the captain and needs to get that out if his game ASAP.

Forgot about Grimes. I thought he lessened Martin's impact after half time but never actually beat him. His disposal has been heaps better this year, but that one turnover today was classic Grimes.

• Like 3

Collingwood loss, we knock off the Tiges, Druggies flogged; I just need some bad news about Phat Phil and his son and best footy weekend for a long while.

• Like 2

I'm glad that Roos has shown more faith in some of the players than I have.

That's why he is a great coach and gets the big $$$$$.

His understanding of the players and communication skills are second to none IMO.

Glad he is on our side.

I am beside myself with joy. Every week I think we are getting better and better. After the game today my 90 year old Mum had the theme song on repeat and she has really seen the good teams of the past. It makes me even more happy to see the joy she has when we win after the last few years of total pain and devastation. I think we will need to start a thread for Roosy to stay - please stay....he is our messiah and dare I say, in front of the Reverend. Another thing that gives me great joy is seeing the positive comments from everyone tonight about all the players who have been lambasted over the last few years. It just goes to show how important a leader of Roos calibre is to the team and their ability to produce good competitive football. I bet the teams we are yet to play are no longer thinking we will be an easy win. Bring on Port Adelaide.

• Like 7

Bernie Vince; how did the Crows let him go.

Dom Tyson; how did the giants let him go.

Chris Dawes; how did the Pies let him go.

BTW how safe is Dunne's marking in the back line; wtf happened to the old jumper puncher.

• Like 1

Forgot about Grimes. I thought he lessened Martin's impact after half time but never actually beat him. His disposal has been heaps better this year, but that one turnover today was classic Grimes.

Grrimes shoudnt be a run with player he is not good enough under pressure

I am beside myself with joy. Every week I think we are getting better and better. After the game today my 90 year old Mum had the theme song on repeat and she has really seen the good teams of the past. It makes me even more happy to see the joy she has when we win after the last few years of total pain and devastation. I think we will need to start a thread for Roosy to stay - please stay....he is our messiah and dare I say, in front of the Reverend. Another thing that gives me great joy is seeing the positive comments from everyone tonight about all the players who have been lambasted over the last few years. It just goes to show how important a leader of Roos calibre is to the team and their ability to produce good competitive football. I bet the teams we are yet to play are no longer thinking we will be an easy win. Bring on Port Adelaide.

Geez mozzie your mum is currently having a good innings.

The feeling is sooo much better when we win.

Hopefully she can see a lot more wins along with all of us.

Edited by DemonOX

I reckon Paul Roos knows more about footy than me.

Probably just a tad more I suspect. And me as well.

• Like 1

I reckon Paul Roos knows more about footy than me.

I know more than Roosy as you all would have gathered over 1900 insightful posts.

• Like 7

The only downsides were Dawsy struggling to take a grab and the umpires who were absolutely deplorable. I didn't think it could get worse than the last two weeks but dear god they took the cake today

The first 5 minutes of either the 3rd or 4th quarter was some of the worst ive ever seen, 4-5 clear mistakes which gave Richmond momentum

Start of the 3rd qtr. Absolutely turned around from the 1st half where they let it go at all costs. Then we had 2 x holding the ball against us (Salem's was totally ridiculous), 1 x 50m penalty and 1 x holding the man. At least 1 turned into an umpire's goal. Looked like they were trying to gift Richmind the game.

So proud that our boys didn't drop their heads, either then or in the last qtr under pressure.

• Like 1