Umpiring focus of the week

TGR

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-16/classy-pickup-and-finish-from-daniher

This 'classy' pick-up and finish from Daniher is the perfect example of how messed up the advantage rule is at the moment. Ump blew his whistle, everyone stopped, which allowed Daniher to run through and kick the goal. If the players hadn't stopped for the whistle then he never would've had a clean run at it and the goal probably wouldn't have happened.

• Like 1

Just witnessed 2 marks paid for 8 meter kicks

No influence on the game but just pathetically inconsistent

Not sure where this should be posted so I will put it here.

Re the Hannebery Carlisle "bump"

Surely a player has a duty of care to himself and others not to blindly go head down into a contest. It appeared to me to be almost a case of Carlisle head butting Hannebery - both were intent of the ball and IMO he would be very stiff to be penalized for what was largely an act - maybe one of reckless courage - instigated by Carlisle more than by H.

Not sure where this should be posted so I will put it here.

Re the Hannebery Carlisle "bump"

Surely a player has a duty of care to himself and others not to blindly go head down into a contest. It appeared to me to be almost a case of Carlisle head butting Hannebery - both were intent of the ball and IMO he would be very stiff to be penalized for what was largely an act - maybe one of reckless courage - instigated by Carlisle more than by H.

It was Hurley, and I agree with a lot of what you say. Hurley was really poor in his approach to the ball and this might well be a legacy of the way things are in the AFL these days. With players not encouraged to bump they are not turning their bodies to protect themselves for either fear of it being seen as a bump or they are incompetent in the ability to protect themselves or they don't are not expecting to be hit or all of the above.

I'm not sure the AFL have this one right, and by trying to be over protective they might well tip the balance to far and in fact cause some very serious injury.

More disgusting umpiring today.

The holding the ball call on Salem (or Toumpas maybe, can't remember) on the flank where he had no prior and was clearly trying to handpass it was as bad a call as I have ever seen.

What really really upset me is they paid absolutely nothing at all, all day but when they did decide to pay something it was to Richmond ( especially in the second half). In the 3 rd quarter they paid about 3 in row that hadn't been paid all day. At least in the last 10 minutes they stopped paying anything again.

• Like 4

The holding the ball call on Salem (or Toumpas maybe, can't remember) on the flank where he had no prior and was clearly trying to handpass it was as bad a call as I have ever seen.

I almost popped when the green idiot gave that decision. The 'holding the ball' interpretation is the closest thing to a random outcome you can get. It's simply not good enough, and an utter embarrassment to the AFL having that standard of adjudication for our great game. Something desperately needs to change in umpiring, because it's getting worse season by season.
  • Like 5

I almost popped when the green idiot gave that decision. The 'holding the ball' interpretation is the closest thing to a random outcome you can get. It's simply not good enough, and an utter embarrassment to the AFL having that standard of adjudication for our great game. Something desperately needs to change in umpiring, because it's getting worse season by season.
  • Like 1

I almost popped when the green [censored] gave that decision. The 'holding the ball' interpretation is the closest thing to a random outcome you can get. It's simply not good enough, and an utter embarrassment to the AFL having that standard of adjudication for our great game. Something desperately needs to change in umpiring, because it's getting worse season by season.

Agree with you completely 'Webber', and random outcome is a great description. They don't pay any then later in the game a few dubious ones or should I say different interpretations get paid. Makes you wonder about half time umpire coaching really...

Agree uranus. Silly stuff today. First they don't reward good tackles - then they decide to. If shitty umpiring is consistent you can live with it but if you change the the rules during the game then you [censored] it up.

• Like 3

Agree uranus. Silly stuff today. First they don't reward good tackles - then they decide to. If shitty umpiring is consistent you can live with it but if you change the the rules during the game then you [censored] it up.

Yes totally agree, nearly threw a full stubby at the TV after that decision but thought about the extra $$$ I have to pay due to the budget and calmed down. Funny thing is umpiring against us with both Tigers and Crows were a disgrace but won both! Go dees!

They didnt pay holdin the ball all day, then in the last quarter the buggers decided to pay all the tiggy touch wood ones to Ricmond, like they were trying to help them win.

• Like 3

We was robbed.

The holding decision against Terlich in the last in Richmond's goal square was one of the most gutless examples of umpiring for the crowd I've ever seen. Woeful and weak, rather than just simply incompetent. I do wonder why the media don't put the blowtorch on umpiring standards. There has to be change, whether it comes from making them full time, increasing pay to make it more attractive, setting up an umpiring academy, or whatever. It is quite plainly the worst aspect of our game, and MUST be addressed by the new CEO.

• Like 2

The 'holding the ball' interpretation is the closest thing to a random outcome you can get.

You can run 10 metres, be stripped of the ball without disposing of it properly, and it's called play on, yet find yourself at the bottom of a pack without any chance to get it out and you might be pinged. Absurd.

If shitty umpiring is consistent you can live with it but if you change the the rules during the game then you [censored] it up.

Spot on.

• Like 2

The holding decision against Terlich in the last in Richmond's goal square was one of the most gutless examples of umpiring for the crowd I've ever seen. Woeful and weak, rather than just simply incompetent. I do wonder why the media don't put the blowtorch on umpiring standards. There has to be change, whether it comes from making them full time, increasing pay to make it more attractive, setting up an umpiring academy, or whatever. It is quite plainly the worst aspect of our game, and MUST be addressed by the new CEO.

Fools like Dwayne think it is great, they put away the whistle. Trouble is they then bring it back out at game breaking times and it's not good enough.

Personally I think the umpiring standards have gone even further downhill since Evans, Campbell and Kennedy have taken over.

Evans gets points for "being from clubland" and supposedly understanding the game. Sorry but I don't see it, he's added nothing since he has been in and after this week (Murphy, Hannebury) following the Viney debacle the bump, brace situation is a total mess and will end up with someone being seriously injured.

Agree on everything written here tonight.

Hannebury had no other option. He didn't bump, he protected himself. He didn't charge at the player, he was trying to win the ball. Play on as far as I'm concerned. If you lead with the head you have assumed the risk by not choosing to protect yourself.

Grapeviney nailed the HTB issue. No one wants to see the flip the coin ones on the bottom of pals. Let's just ball up quicker and more frequently. But they need to pay the ones where someone is running and tackled and drops it.

Umpiring was great until half time tonight.

I hate this put the whistle away rubbish. If it is a free kick pay it. Simple. If they are not going to pay holding/dropping the ball then change the law and remove it from the books. If not pay it.

The free against Terlich was technically there (just) but the problem is that they had ignored at least 8 prior to that where players who had plenty of time to dispose of it were perfectly tackled and just dropped it or threw away. Since when is good umpiring not rewarding perfect tackles?

I 100% agree Webber the standard of umpiring is a joke and unfortunately as a bottom side we get the worst umpires - week in week out.

So many poor decision or no decision against us today. However we did get one crucial one our way. There is no way Watts held the mark he was payed in the goal square (from the Bail kick). We were not going to lose after that and tigers fans had a right to be aggrieved.

. There is no way Watts held the mark he was payed in the goal square (from the Bail kick). We were not going to lose after that and tigers fans had a right to be aggrieved.

Have a look at it again.

Watts' opponent definitely had hold of his jumper.

but I thought it was paid a mark not a free

I was probably one of those ones where they decide to pay the mark because its also a free kick

If i was at the club i'd be sending the Umpires boss video of Salem getting pinged for holding the ball, and Dawes' first tackle of the game and ask whats the difference....

If i was at the club i'd be sending the Umpires boss video of Salem getting pinged for holding the ball, and Dawes' first tackle of the game and ask whats the difference....

Probably pointless. All you'd get is double-speak that confirmed that the 'right' calls were made during the game.

• Like 1

I 100% agree Webber the standard of umpiring is a joke and unfortunately as a bottom side we get the worst umpires - week in week out.

Usually I'd agree, but not this year.

This round we had Matthew Nicholls, a Grand Final umpire last year. Last week we had Matt Stevic, a Grand Final umpire in 2012. In Adelaide we had Ray Chamberlin who apparently is rated quite highly, ditto Dean Margetts who we had the week before.

The problem is not the umpires we're getting, it's the way the entire umpiring team is officiating at the moment. Holding the ball is becoming a farce, 15 metres is no longer 15 metres, and certain rules no longer apply it seems (kicking in danger, for example).