Players to target at the end of the year

I would say pick 2 is very likely for us. All we have to do is lose to GWS and Brisbane and it's ours. And that's not even factoring St Kilda winning a game.

i pray that doesnt happen

we need to beet them both if we are serious about improving and having momentum going into 2015

• Like 3

I spoke to a prominent player manager who informed me I should be quite confident of seeing one of Treloar or Shiel at the Dees next year.

Treloar is contracted but apparently keen to look at opportunities elsewhere and they Giants have decided to make keeping Cameron, Patton and Boyd together, their priority. This means they'll certainly have to concede something in the midfield.

Shiel won't be there next year, wants out and not well liked around the club anyway.

On that basis, assuming we finish where we are now, Frawley leaves and we get pick 4 as compensation, what do we think of the following:

Pick 3 and Blease OR Tapscott (both former 1st rounders) to GWS
For
Treloar and Shiel (alternative for GWS – blow up you salary cap trying to hold onto Treloar and lose 1 of their key talls which are harder to replace).
Next year's midfield stocks:
  • N Jones
  • Vince
  • Tyson
  • Cross
  • Viney
  • Treloar
  • Shiel
  • Salem
  • Trengove
  • Toumpas
  • Pick 4 (priority pick having traded pick 3 to GWS… Brayshaw?)
  • GWS most likely use pick 3 to get Petracca as a replacement mid.
  • Like 3

But seriously, I can't stress it enough.

Listen to Petracca speak. He's switched on and has the perfect attitude. He's a competitive beast who's built like a bull, has unbelievable explosiveness and hands and an awareness and peripheral vision that Pendles has thanks to his basketballing background.

When you've got those attributes to your name, you cannot trade away a pick that could potentially land this bloke.

He's a freak.

I haven't seen the explosiveness in Petracca, he certainly is strong, has a great attitude, is competitive and takes a good contested grab. The downside is he's not a natural mid and doesn't position himself or read the ball off hands very well at clearances.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the explosiveness in Petracca, he certainly is strong, has a great attitude, is competitive and takes a good contested grab. The downside is he's not a natural mid and doesn't position himself or read the ball off hands very well at clearances.

Well he's as explosive as they come. Have a look at some vision if you can find any.

And to be averaging the numbers he averaged throughout the 18's competion as a midfielder goes against what you're saying...

I don't know where you got that info from. The guy wins a heap of ball in the thick of it.

As for the 'art' of positioning.. Players learn to perfect those things once at an AFL club so if that's the only downside you see then you should be jumping for joy.

The only real chink in the armour I see is that he doesn't have a great running capacity as he's only just started playing midfield which again is hardly a problem if he has a strong work ethic and willingness to get the best out of himself. Which he does if you listen to him and hear from some of his coaches.

He will be by far and away the pick of this draft.

Once in a generational player if developed properly. I'm calling it.

I spoke to a prominent player manager who informed me I should be quite confident of seeing one of Treloar or Shiel at the Dees next year.

Treloar is contracted but apparently keen to look at opportunities elsewhere and they Giants have decided to make keeping Cameron, Patton and Boyd together, their priority. This means they'll certainly have to concede something in the midfield.

Shiel won't be there next year, wants out and not well liked around the club anyway.

On that basis, assuming we finish where we are now, Frawley leaves and we get pick 4 as compensation, what do we think of the following:

For

Treloar and Shiel (alternative for GWS blow up you salary cap trying to hold onto Treloar and lose 1 of their key talls which are harder to replace).

Next year's midfield stocks:

• N Jones
  • Vince
  • Tyson
  • Cross
  • Viney
  • Treloar
  • Shiel
  • Salem
  • Trengove
  • Toumpas
  • Pick 4 (priority pick having traded pick 3 to GWS Brayshaw?)
  • GWS most likely use pick 3 to get Petracca as a replacement mid.
Interesting reading

Although there's no way GWS would give up both Treloar and Shiel for pick 3 and Blease/Tapscott in your hypothetical.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

Well he's as explosive as they come. Have a look at some vision if you can find any.

And to be averaging the numbers he averaged throughout the 18's competion as a midfielder goes against what you're saying...

I don't know where you got that info from. The guy wins a heap of ball in the thick of it.

As for the 'art' of positioning.. Players learn to perfect those things once at an AFL club so if that's the only downside you see then you should be jumping for joy.

The only real chink in the armour I see is that he doesn't have a great running capacity as he's only just started playing midfield which again is hardly a problem if he has a strong work ethic and willingness to get the best out of himself. Which he does if you listen to him and hear from some of his coaches.

He will be by far and away the pick of this draft.

Once in a generational player if developed properly. I'm calling it.

He's not explosive like a Dangerfield but he is strong like a Martin and he uses this to advantage.

His average numbers prove nothing about what I'm saying, he can draw the ball to him as he should with the hands he's got... if you look up the ground he would be one of the first you would kick to and he can and will get a lot of contested ball.

Where I got it from is from watching critically and I agree these are things that can be worked on and he seems like a kid that will put in the work, that's not at issue. We really should look at the whole of the player and what he brings, I'm just pointing things out that I observed. Not contested ball but in the clearances. It's the same thing I noticed last year with Sheed.

The other big issue is if he can develop the tank to play as a mid. Not all people can despite the amount of work they put in.

• Like 1

For
Treloar and Shiel (alternative for GWS – blow up you salary cap trying to hold onto Treloar and lose 1 of their key talls which are harder to replace).

Interesting that you note that Sheil isn't well liked at the club... did he elaborate further on that?

As for the trades above, pick 3 and blease/ tapscott (trade value of both is 3rd rounder at best) is probably about the mark for one of treloar/ shiel, not both. If they have to trade both of them out they could get a much better deal from a number of teams - St Kilda would offer up pick 1 and a VFL grade player, immediately trumping the offer you posed above.

I played with Tom Rockcliff at bushies under 18s. He always played as a leading half forward forward.

He wasn't a natural midfielder too and only had stints in the middle.

Petracca was playing forward last year and kick 41 goals.

This year he has been playing as a midfielder and kicked 5 the other week playing as a ruck rover. And has been completely dominating.

He is as good as they come. If he is available at pick 3 he is a must for us.

What annoys me but knowing our luck it will be talked up pre draft we will take him then 5 minutes before the draft starts we will over look him.

Its done it to me 2 years in a row now..

Get Petracca Dees!

• Like 2

I played with Tom Rockcliff at bushies under 18s. He always played as a leading half forward forward.

He wasn't a natural midfielder too and only had stints in the middle.

Petracca was playing forward last year and kick 41 goals.

This year he has been playing as a midfielder and kicked 5 the other week playing as a ruck rover. And has been completely dominating.

He is as good as they come. If he is available at pick 3 he is a must for us.

What annoys me but knowing our luck it will be talked up pre draft we will take him then 5 minutes before the draft starts we will over look him.

Its done it to me 2 years in a row now..

Get Petracca Dees!

I'm not saying he's not or that we shouldn't take him. Just pointing out that he has some deficiencies at the moment, it's good to have a balanced discussion.

we would trade a late pick for him

wouldn't affect the compo for frawley

I am not certain but I think he is a free agent too.

That being the case it would cancel out the compensation for frawley

PS just checked the AFL site he is a free agent.

So if JF left and NM came to MFC there would be no compensation to the MFC as I understand it.

Edited by old dee

How's his tank?

He's played the majority of his footballing life as a forward so obviously his 'tank' will need work.

Last year he kicked 40 + goals as a full-time forward and has now just won the Lark Medal for best player in the championships as a midfielder.

Let me spell this out for people.

Anyone who stays injury free and has an outrageous work ethic and desire to be the best can build a tank required to compete at AFL level.

Anyone.

How's his tank?

Machsy only seen him once against WA and it was good that day plenty of repeat efforts, I have no doubt whatever his tank is now it will improve because what I saw was a player who wants to succeed, wants to get the best out of himself, will sacrifice and will find the extra something inside to get to the contest.

This is what stood out and what I liked, they all look good at U/18 level, less applied or implied pressure at the ball carrier and their foot skills, decision making and efficiency can look better than it is.

Important boxes ticked by Petracca in regard to what is required at the next level

• Like 2

He's played the majority of his footballing life as a forward so obviously his 'tank' will need work.

Last year he kicked 40 + goals as a full-time forward and has now just won the Lark Medal for best player in the championships as a midfielder.

Let me spell this out for people.

Anyone who stays injury free and has an outrageous work ethic and desire to be the best can build a tank required to compete at AFL level.

Anyone.

I don't think that's true 'steve' but would defer to 'weber' on this if he is around. Any other sports med guys might be able to tell us.

Of course I understand that some human beings have naturally better working and functioning organs as well as physiological advantages whether it be a naturally better resting heartrate etc etc. (Average example).

And they are the one's who clearly become the greatest runners of our game which becomes their 'strong' attribute.

It did wonders for us with Rohan Bail huh....

My point is, any able body who's body can withstand the physical demands of AFL football CAN build a tank which will allow then to compete with the best. (Providing they have the work ethic and desire to push themselves to the limit).

• Like 1