Players to target at the end of the year

Brett is one of the good journos going around. His specialty is un18s and the Draft but still would hear rumours going around the traps. Is a Dees man also to my knowledge?

Sounds like a good guy. He just doesn't know the difference between its and it's.

Adam, our need is more depth of quality across our best 22, moreso than taking one gun player.

imo Roosty would want to get a 2 for 1 again, a 'patton & a shiel',,, a 'coniglio & tomlinson' sort of thing. or a player + a pick, sort of trade.

the marketing dept would want the gun player tho.

I agree, to an extent, DL. We need to put as much time into strengthening our midfield as we can, but if we sign Cameron, our bookends are set again. We have plenty of cap room and could still have enough to offer Shiel, Treloar or Coniglio $600k at the end of it. Roos and co will also back themselves to pick up some mids on the cheap. That's a signature of Roos' entire coaching career.

Adam, our need is more depth of quality across our best 22, moreso than taking one gun player.

imo Roosty would want to get a 2 for 1 again, a 'patton & a shiel',,, a 'coniglio & tomlinson' sort of thing. or a player + a pick, sort of trade.

the marketing dept would want the gun player tho.

Cameron was their sole forward line at one stage.

He is that player we've been waiting for.

Wold not be surprised if we're throwing a packet at Cameron as this could achieve one of two things. Either we strike gold and he signs, or we increase his value and thereby dislodge another player (Patton or Shiel for example). Either way, that would be a great result for us.

• Like 5

Sounds like a good guy. He just doesn't know the difference between its and it's.

I agree, to an extent, DL. We need to put as much time into strengthening our midfield as we can, but if we sign Cameron, our bookends are set again. We have plenty of cap room and could still have enough to offer Shiel, Treloar or Coniglio $600k at the end of it. Roos and co will also back themselves to pick up some mids on the cheap. That's a signature of Roos' entire coaching career.

I like his methods. I wanted us to go after Danger & Boak, about 4 seasons back, before either had made their names. most everyone said they'd done nothing, and weren't worth it.

I like to get in early to recruit, before the kids hit the straps.

at least I'm happy now that we are onto the right sort of path. no more ballerinas.

Wold not be surprised if we're throwing a packet at Cameron as this could achieve one of two things. Either we strike gold and he signs, or we increase his value and thereby dislodge another player (Patton or Shiel for example). Either way, that would be a great result for us.

there ya go. this is what I'm wondering as well. I don't know our finances either, or how that works really. that area doesn't interest me.

I hope we get one of their mids.

I like his methods. I wanted us to go after Danger & Boak, about 4 seasons back, before either had made their names. most everyone said they'd done nothing, and weren't worth it.

I like to get in early to recruit, before the kids hit the straps.

at least I'm happy now that we are onto the right sort of path. no more ballerinas.

I agree, I reckon Treloar is about to stamp himself as one of the best mids in the game, i reckon Shiel looks a really good player as well, would happily part with picks 3, 4 to pick up those two, offer 600k per year each and see just how loyal they are.

• Like 1

Would he come?

Would they let him go after a lot of supporters still being dirty about Cross?

I think he'll be at the dogs until he feels it's about time to give it up.

We were lucky with Cross that he still felt he had a lot to give and was up for the daily grind of football.

If it was the end of this season he was leaving the dogs and coming to us, I think he'd feel he was close enough to the end and would retire, even though he clearly still has a lot more to give.

I would bet my bottom dollar it is not garbage.

I meant its most likely garbage that hes gonna come to the MFC (hope im wrong of course)

No doubt the rumours true, as just about every club would offered him a big contract

The only difference is we likely have more salary cap space and better draft pick packages than any other team in the comp. That's likely what puts us in the box seat with his management.

On the assumption that he wants to leave of course.

some Cameron quotes from a week ago

"Starting as a new club, it's something no one's really experienced. It's that bond you build, you want to keep going and become stronger and stronger," Cameron said.

"I'm loving my time up here and I want to stay."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rising-afl-star-jeremy-cameron-eager-to-stay-with-gws-giants-20140710-zt2op.html

Loyal to GWS or just the usual cliches for a player likely on the move?

Edited by hogans_heroes

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rising-afl-star-jeremy-cameron-eager-to-stay-with-gws-giants-20140710-zt2op.html

he may well stay, who knows which player the rumours are about, if they are true at all,

I really rate Devon Smith, i wonder if we could land him

Probably been posted but here is a decent list of the uncontracted players this year. Hasnt been updated in a few weeks but still gives a good idea of who might not be happy at their club.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/players-contract.1061009/

I see those comments as largely non-genuine. Surely his ideas of nurturing the Giants into a big successful club will fade when he receives an absurd payrise (which he's worth).

Edited by bearded_demon

A bit early to call for Toumpas's head. He's got heaps of talent and most importantly he's got good disposal efficiency by foot. If he can build on his defensive pressure and contested possessions he can be a decent player. If you look at all the good teams, they build teams on players that can hit targets... if we've got one who has talent why would we want to get rid of him?

y would u trade the Toump he is going 2 b another Thompson Adelaide got a beauty off us when he went home. Toump will b an excellent player we won't trade him.

Thought's on getting Mathew Boyd on a 2 year deal from the Bullies?

Cross was an exception, we don't need to have a discussion on every 30+ aged player that's near the end. People have mentioned judd, maxwell, o'keefe. Cross was a one off, who's body was in exceptional condition for someone his age and he is the perfect role model for the younger players.

• Like 3