Commentary "gems"

45HG

I'm mystified as to why Fox Footy have hired Sandy Roberts to sit in the studio, while the band of fools continue to grate on our ears from the game. Why on earth isn't Sandy being put to work doing what he does best -- commentate games...???

Still reckon Gerard Whateley is the best of the current commentators. He actually tells you what's happening in the game, while most of the other fools are too busy yapping about anything and everything other than what's happening in the game.

I thought exactly the same thing on Saturday night Vagg.

What is Sandy Roberts doing in the studio? He is a bona fide commentator and broadcaster unlike these clowns who got there through their mates or because they were ex players.

Channel 7's coverage has almost become more like a music video than a football broadcast. It mostly consists of:

*close up shots of analysts (usually just retired players) with flood lights behind them,

*slow mo replays of inconsequential moments in the game set against the backdrop of Birds of Tokyo music,

*Megawalls showing the pointless minutae of dressing room banter,

*Brian Taylor carrying on like a pillock

*Bruce McAvaney trying to be more androgynous than is humanly safe

*Panel shows manned by chic 30/40 somethings which try to take the attitude of 'we don't take our self seriously at all'. Some actual analysis would be nice.

Why the bloody hell is Sandy Roberts hosting the match centre at Fox? He could run rings around these clowns.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

Dennis Commetti

Ablett to Barnes to Chapman

the Cats are attacking alphabetically

All without hesitation and without drawing breath

Was the best bit of impromptu commentary I have heard

• Like 8

And while we're on the topic, does anyone think Wayne Carey is a good addition to Channel 7's team? I don't, not just because I think his commentary is somewhat predictable, dated and dull, but as a business decision I think it's flawed because I'm pretty sure female viewers don't like him. Perhaps I'm wrong, but would our female Demonlanders care to comment?

• Like 1

I thought exactly the same thing on Saturday night Vagg.

What is Sandy Roberts doing in the studio? He is a bona fide commentator and broadcaster unlike these clowns who got there through their mates or because they were ex players.

Channel 7's coverage has almost become more like a music video than a football broadcast. It mostly consists of:

*close up shots of analysts (usually just retired players) with flood lights behind them,

*slow mo replays of inconsequential moments in the game set against the backdrop of Birds of Tokyo music,

*Megawalls showing the pointless minutae of dressing room banter,

*Brian Taylor carrying on like a pillock

*Bruce McAvaney trying to be more androgynous than is humanly safe

*Panel shows manned by chic 30/40 somethings which try to take the attitude of 'we don't take our self seriously at all'. Some actual analysis would be nice.

Why the bloody hell is Sandy Roberts hosting the match centre at Fox? He could run rings around these clowns.

After the Melb-WC debacle, I switched to the Doggies-NM game. And, lo and behold, what did I hear? None other than the dulcit tomes of one Sandy Roberts! Was music to the ears! For the few minutes that I was tuned in, it was like I was in a time warp. I was actually hearing some genuine commentary on the game. And, Sandy just has such a great voice for it! Loved it!

So, here's the edict, Foxtel: Sandy Roberts has to be banned from entering the studio. He MUST be forced to commentate at every possible match that he can. He's just such a breath of fresh air!

Go Sandy!!

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with Robbo - he is a bit of a buffoon but I sense he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Dwayne on the other hand.........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Really? I'm of the opposite view...but I agree about the "bit of a buffoon" comment.

I agree with Nutbean. Wasn't all that impressed with him until several occasions last year, when he was a whole lot more understanding of Mebourne's plight than most other media "experts". He's often not as hard-nosed as others when it comes to cutting someone a little slack. That's not a bad thing.

I agree with Nutbean. Wasn't all that impressed with him until several occasions last year, when he was a whole lot more understanding of Mebourne's plight than most other media "experts". He's often not as hard-nosed as others when it comes to cutting someone a little slack. That's not a bad thing.

He's a yobbo/bogan/alcoholic and the fact that he is the Chief Football Writer for a major metropolitan newspaper is a disgrace and shame towards what is called modern "journalism". But watching him on 360 is hilarious, you know it's crap but you cannot look away. Sometimes I'll get annoyed watching it when they spout their rubbish and avoid the crux of the matter (especially when discussing the Essendon Drugs stuff) but overall I think it's an OK show.

I can't read his columns though, for a journalist you would think he would have learnt that you can't begin an article "Went to the game on Friday." I am astounded an editor doesn't correct it and actually publishes it, not just online but in print.

• Like 1

I don't mind most of the commentators, and over the years have like channel 10's coverage and commentators.

Really like Anthony Hudson.

Loved Mike Williamson.

Loved Sandy Roberts - he was probably the best.

Bruce and Dennis are ok.

Still like Tim Lane and Drew Morphett on ABC - a bit starchy sometimes but at least it is free from trite carp (most of the time).

Dwayne Russel easily the worst ever. I don't know one person who likes his calling.

Dermot Brereton can be the most insightful and the biggest [censored] in the same sentence.

I preferred it when there was less sophisticated analysis, & more humor & WoW factor in the commentators voices. sorry brian, gee-whiz doesn't cut it.

I love the format of AFL 360.

But Robbo just gives me the irites.

He mumbles, waffles on and says nothing.

Then finishes with you know. I don't really know.

He is the biggest waste of space on TV

That program could be great, just replace him with someone like Tom Harley.

Knows Football and can speak fluently, not in the monosyllabic undertones of one Robbo.

• Like 1

He's a yobbo/bogan/alcoholic and the fact that he is the Chief Football Writer for a major metropolitan newspaper is a disgrace and shame towards what is called modern "journalism". But watching him on 360 is hilarious, you know it's crap but you cannot look away. Sometimes I'll get annoyed watching it when they spout their rubbish and avoid the crux of the matter (especially when discussing the Essendon Drugs stuff) but overall I think it's an OK show.

I can't read his columns though, for a journalist you would think he would have learnt that you can't begin an article "Went to the game on Friday." I am astounded an editor doesn't correct it and actually publishes it, not just online but in print.

Alcoholic????.....How do you know that????....I understand he likes a drink but so do I and I am not an alcoholic....Call him what you like as a journo....Like him or hate him.....But to put him in that basket is a bit rich....
  • Like 2

Alcoholic????.....How do you know that????....I understand he likes a drink but so do I and I am not an alcoholic....Call him what you like as a journo....Like him or hate him.....But to put him in that basket is a bit rich....

I've had plenty of mates who had drinking problems. and they all said they didn't have a problem. 2 have passed on now, in their 50's. RIP to them.

Dwayne Russell must have compromising pictures in his possession. A lethal combination of bias, bitterness, inaccuracy, lack of genuine colour and all pervasive smugness. As BBO so aptly summarized, the ultimate suckhole.

• Like 2

Classic commentary ??? Hands down the best I can recall goes back quite a bit. 4 words only, it must have been a set up yet it descibed the play perfectly. It was a pre season game involving North Melbourne. The game starts, the ball is bounced and the commentator says

" Hepburn springs, German shepherds."

Laugh??? I almost fell off the couch.

• Like 4

I can't stand Dwayne Russell. Turn the volume off if he is commentating. Saw him and Gerard at the airport this morning. I seriously wanted to tell him how much I dislike the rubbish that comes out of his mouth.

Such as : " Collingwood , the grandest of the grand old teams " .

It's not 'Rocket Science' guys.

1. Turn on telly

2. Mute it.

3. Turn on favourite radio broadcasters

Two thumbs up for stopping after point 2. I take the view that I don't need to be told what's going on in front of my eyes. Especially when, as is usually the case while watching MFC on the box, we are getting pumped.

Ian Robertson was the last commentator i called elite.

The one who really grates on my brain is Anthony Hudson who just shouts everything.

Told him just that at my local bakery last year.

Little twirp.

Kudos to you, WYL. Wish I could have had the same opportunity!

How did he handle the criticism?

• Like 1