Melbourne Vs West Coast Round 2

InVINCEable

What do we need to do to change?

I feel as if the whole game we were ready to pounce and rip the game open we just didn't get a chance, the stats were in our favor, honestly don't know how we lost but anyway, round 2, something to look forward to (i guess) Roosy hopefully gets them on the track and trains the hell out of them, drop pedo and byrnes and maybe a few others, bring in Maximus Gawnius, Viney, Blease, McKenzie, etc.

Heard Hogan might be right soon to?

I looked at West Coast's team on paper this morning and thought we'll be thoroughly tested next week. Very strong squad. Their 10-goal victory over the Doggies makes our task look even more ominous.

Let's hope for the best! They beat us by 94 points last year after we were level at half time. I can't see that happening again, but I can't see a Melb win, either.

The way I see it we need to do a few things to be competitive.

We need to tag Hurn with one of our forwards. They use him so much to set up play, if we can remove his influence to some extent it hurts them. I think this is Bails job next week, especially given his knack for finding space going the other way.

Bring in Gawn so we have two tall rucks to match up on their twin towers.

Sadly, we may need to push Watts forward to give us a tall target, even if it's just to force the ball to ground.

Use either Dunn or Grimes (or both) on LeCras. while TMac and Frawly take Darling and Kennedy.

Hope like hell our midfield can come somewhere close to breaking even.

• Like 1

I looked at West Coast's team on paper this morning and thought we'll be thoroughly tested next week. Very strong squad. Their 10-goal victory over the Doggies makes our task look even more ominous.

Let's hope for the best! They beat us by 94 points last year after we were level at half time. I can't see that happening again, but I can't see a Melb win, either.

94 points again if we can't kick more than 6 goals v the saints

As Roos said, the most basic philosophy is you need to kick more points than your opponent. That does not mean you need to score 10, 15, 20 goals.

Do people not remember Sydney's premiership and flying years under Roos? Slow the game, keep possession, and take your chances. Melbourne controlled the play for much of Saturday, but simply never took the chances when presented. A fit forward line and that would have been a 5-6 goal win.

It's easy to say it's "ugly" and boring football when you're losing, but if you can stem the scoring, stop the flow and control the game, you will eventually break through.

IMO Melbourne's primary directive for Sunday is to stop West Coast's run: imo they can do it. Then, obviously, it is a matter of scoring more than the Eagles, which at this stage looks impossible.

When Roos says "you need to score more than your opponent", it's an assumption that you can stop them scoring TOO much. Roos' gameplan has never really been all-out attack like a Malcolm Blight circa 1989. If you can control the game on a consistent basis, the wins will come. At that point it's all about figuring out HOW to win. This team hasn't figured that out yet. But they have figured out how to control the play.

I'm not prepared to write this team off yet. They will break through and it will be glorious.

Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 10

As Roos said, the most basic philosophy is you need to kick more points than your opponent. That does not mean you need to score 10, 15, 20 goals.

Do people not remember Sydney's premiership and flying years under Roos? Slow the game, keep possession, and take your chances. Melbourne controlled the play for much of Saturday, but simply never took the chances when presented. A fit forward line and that would have been a 5-6 goal win.

It's easy to say it's "ugly" and boring football when you're losing, but if you can stem the scoring, stop the flow and control the game, you will eventually break through.

IMO Melbourne's primary directive for Sunday is to stop West Coast's run: imo they can do it. Then, obviously, it is a matter of scoring more than the Eagles, which at this stage looks impossible.

When Roos says "you need to score more than your opponent", it's an assumption that you can stop them scoring TOO much. Roos' gameplan has never really been all-out attack like a Malcolm Blight circa 1989. If you can control the game on a consistent basis, the wins will come. At that point it's all about figuring out HOW to win. This team hasn't figured that out yet. But they have figured out how to control the

I'm not prepared to write this team off yet. They will break through and it will be glorious.

Well put, Cudi. If people can't gain some confidence from the new game plan, and see how it will allow us to progress, then they're being blinded too much by our still present deficiencies......which comes mostly from historically damaged confidence and inexperience. All ultimate success has to come from controlling and dominating possession. What we saw on Saturday was a team getting used to HOW to use the ball in this situation, and having woefully limited options when pushing into attack. What I am equally confident of is that Paul Roos is just the man to get them to hold their nerve, and back themselves to improve.

That said, it's hard not to see Sunday as being a blowout.

When Roos says "you need to score more than your opponent", it's an assumption that you can stop them scoring TOO much. Roos' gameplan has never really been all-out attack like a Malcolm Blight circa 1989. If you can control the game on a consistent basis, the wins will come. At that point it's all about figuring out HOW to win. This team hasn't figured that out yet. But they have figured out how to control the play.

Any idea which decade Cudi?

I am running out of options

• Like 1

I don't think we can kick a winning score agaisnt them, but it's important we defend hard and try and be in the game at 3/4 time, if we can lock a team like this down, even if we lose it will be great for the belief of everyone

• Like 1

Last year we got done by 94 points. If we can keep the margin within 50 points, then that's direct improvement.

I know the end result was dismal on Saturday night, but you have to remember we were down by 51 points to St Kilda last year in the 3rd qtr, so techinally we saw improvement from a competetive and % point of view.

Finally, maybe St Kilda aren't as bad as everyone thinks they are??

• Like 1

Last year we got done by 94 points. If we can keep the margin within 50 points, then that's direct improvement.

I know the end result was dismal on Saturday night, but you have to remember we were down by 51 points to St Kilda last year in the 3rd qtr, so techinally we saw improvement from a competetive and % point of view.

they were very hard at it, you add Hayes, Steven, Montagna, and co and they are much better than a wooden spoon team in my view

they were very hard at it, you add Hayes, Steven, Montagna, and co and they are much better than a wooden spoon team in my view

Yeah, because we'll win the spoon

Maybe a better team than we think, but not really an improvement when you think really the only experienced midfielder they had was Ray

Yeah, because we'll win the spoon

Didn't you predict us to make finals like two weeks ago? haha i thought we played really well all things considered, i reckon 5 wins is still on the cards, Collingwood, Carlton, North, Richmond and Sydney all lost winnable games too...

• Like 1

Didn't you predict us to make finals like two weeks ago? haha i thought we played really well all things considered, i reckon 5 wins is still on the cards, Collingwood, Carlton, North, Richmond and Sydney all lost winnable games too...

Hahaha I did!

I was joking when i said we'll win the spoon, but when we get our key forwards back in we'll make finals imo

It was definitely not the fault of the midfielder, they were the only ones who kicked a goal

Hahaha I did!

I was joking when i said we'll win the spoon, but when we get our key forwards back in we'll make finals imo

even 1 of our forwards and we will be a better team.

• Like 1

In: anyone who can take a mark inside 50

Out: kicking backwards and slow ball movement

get used to the backwards kicking.

i thought everybody would know thats his style,and so is 8/10 goals per game scoreline.

If we want to have a chance next week we need Gawn and Hogan in, also McKenzie and Viney would be good too.