Who will emerge as our #1 ruckman this year? Who will be #1 in 5 years?

Good Times Grimes

Ruckmen  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a pretty self-explanatory topic, but I'm curious to see what others think. There seem to be many who think that Jamar is past it, but some who think he will still be #1 this year. Then there's the Spencer vs. Gawn debate. Some people are massive fans of Fitzpatrick. There's also been several on here who have suggested playing Mitch Clark in the ruck. I'm curious to get a read on what the majority of posters think will happen with our ruck stocks in the immediate and not-so immediate future.

See my thoughts on each option below:

Mitch Clark: I think he's a fantastic FF (when he gets on the park), and I'd hate to lose him from inside the forward 50. That being said, he was incredibly effective for Brisbane when he played in the ruck, and if I'm not mistaken came close to being All-Australian. I'd only like to see him in the ruck for brief stints, and only if two of the other options are unavailable.

Jake Spencer: I love his aggression and competitive attitude. I became a massive fan of his in NAB1 when he got into it with Dustin Martin. I could see him being #1 by season's end if his skills and composure improve.

Max Gawn: I'm a huge fan of Gawnius Maximus. At this stage I have him slightly ahead of Spencer, but I get the impression that Spencer wants it more.

Max King: I was impressed with him against the Tigers. Very raw and lots to work on, but he didn't seem too out of place in my opinion. I don't think we'll see him playing AFL this year, but he should be a decent long-term prospect.

Mark Jamar: I've had it with Jamar. Done. His tap-work is ordinary, he can't mark and he's injured more often than not. Let the kids play.

Jack Fitzpatrick: I admire Fitzy and his resilience, but I don't see much of future for him at the MFC. At this stage, I think he's just a depth player on our list. He's behind all of the above ruckmen (except King), and he's behind Clark, Dawes and Hogan as a tall forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see him head elsewhere in the offseason.

Spencer for this year and the Ruckman for five years time I doubt is at the Club at present.

Current alternatives will be, over the Hill by 2019, Injury prone or I doubt will make it as a leading Ruckman.

IMO That leaves King and the kid has been there five minutes so who knows with him.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

I wouldn't like to see Fitzy go, he plays sorta like Justin Westhoff in the forward line and doesn't have to play like a tall forward

• Like 1

My reasoning is that 200cm is not big enough for ruck anymore - all right for a chop out but not the main game.

I have actually seen the Gawndog running and bouncing the ball at the Trevor Barker Reserve when Dees affiliated with Sandy I think and he is more athletic and coordinated than Spencer and surprising for a guy his size.

Last year he did a pretty good job and his aerobic capacity was what was lacking but that will build.

There will be votes for Mitch Clark and I respect that but with his performance in 2013 in the forward line and his injury interrupted pre season it aint happening in 2014. Maybe post 2014 but the combination of the two would be awesome.

• Like 1

I don't think we have our ruck man yet. There will be a bit of trading and recruiting to be done over the next year.

I tend to agree with you, certainly not one that will help us make the top Four.

However I don't believe a champion Ruckman is the be all in todays game.

Hawthorn have managed to win flags with Average Ruckmen.

I havnt seen to many games at the ground over the last couple of years. I have watched almost every game on TV or replays but out of that group i dont think i could name a stand out number 1

Big Maxy - i am also a massive fan. I would hope that this is a standout year for him and he grabs the number 1 position but that is because i like his style.

Fitzy - looks like a half sucked mango with his mouthguard in but also i like him and his play.

Spencer - i dont think he has developed as we had planned and that comes down to the development of players we have as a whole in previous years. I would like to see him really dominate as he likes to go in hard but he lets himself down with skill errors

King - For a first year player in the system i think PR will be able to develop him into a good quality ruckman. I dont imagine we will see much at all if any of King this year unless we are hammered with bigman injuries or King is a absloute superstar.

Jamar - He should have been the number 1 ruckman for the last few years. He should have been the leader in that department for which the likes of Gawn, Spencer and Fitzy should have been fighting for his understudy position. Injury poor form whatever the reason is, he has really stalled even gone backwards from the year he brokeout. I think this year he will be fighting for a start as the ruckman.

Clark - I think that PR will use as a forward with only small stints in the ruck if at all.

For me it would be Gawn/Fitzy for number 1 with Spencer and Jamar behind and in 5 years King will be established as the backbone of the Talls. If he is not number 1 he would have been.

• Like 1

A fit Mitch Clark with his attitude would be our best bet as 1st ruck 70% then resting at FF switching with Gawn or Fitzpatrick.

In 5 years Gawn 70% 1st ruck switching to FF with Fitzpatrick, King or Clark.

I don't think we can afford to rest the ruckman on the bench, we need midfielders. So 2 ruckmen on the ground at all times. The FF to do most of the ruck work in forward 50, with Hogan deep.

Edited by ManDee

Spencer is probably going to be our Number one this year, Jamar is going to have to prove he can get fit and stay fit, which he hasn't done for a while.

Gawn can be a better ruck, but as he showed in his best game last year he just doesn't have the tank. He's like Jamar and he's been in the rehab group for, it seems like, ever.

Mitch will have to catch up with fitness and they will have to be confident that his body will stand up.

Fitzy is a forward who can ruck a bit.

I think Spencer will improve his skills, yes I know he has to, and he will turn out ok.

Max King looks like a very good prospect and as an 18 years old was very composed last friday night.

• Like 3

PR,wouldnt have kept jamar unless he thought he was worthy of another year.

injured a lot =yes

hasnt reached the previous highs=yes

worthy of the number 1 spot=yes.

I wouldn't like to see Fitzy go, he plays sorta like Justin Westhoff in the forward line and doesn't have to play like a tall forward

There very similar types of players if Fitzy was as good as Westhoff id be pleased with that.

PR,wouldnt have kept jamar unless he thought he was worthy of another year.

injured a lot =yes

hasnt reached the previous highs=yes

worthy of the number 1 spot=yes.

Hes still contracted PR had no choice he's not tradable because of his contract no other club would take him, I can't remember the last time a club gave a 29 yr old ruckman a 3 yr contract.

If Gawn is fit, he's #1. End of story.

If he's not fit, and Clark gets a bionic foot, and Hogan & Dawes are tearing it up so much that we don't need to play Clark forward, then Clark's #1.

If neither of these, we're stuck with Jamar or Spencer. Spencer gives marginally more (still not much) around the ground. Jamar gives more at stoppages, his body use is far better at ball-ups and in packs, and he doesn't make nearly as much mistakes (a few times on Friday, Spencil wrongfooted our entire midfield by winning the tap but hitting it somewhere else then where they were all expecting).

So much here depends on fitness.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with you, certainly not one that will help us make the top Four.

Melbourne too! Graham Wise and Len Mann say 'howdy'.

• Like 1

Roughead is a good Ruckman and a Coleman medalist.

I don't understand the lack of love for Gawny.

Ok he's not healthy right now (but not far off) and yes he's building his fitness that last year was a bit short of the required standard. But he's a skilled mark and not a hopeless kick. He provides an option around the ground by getting in the right spot. He follows up his work. He chases and tackles, not that he has the speed of Spencer but he makes an effort. And he's getting more and more competitive in the ruck. And guess what he's just turned 22 so he's 2 years from his peak at least.

Do people not remember his game against Sydney last year when he clearly bested Mumford and Pyke as a duo with only some minor back up from Fitzy.

All Gawn needs is a second guy who can legitimately take 25% of the ruck and a decent key forward so he can rest on the pine or truly in the goal square not chase around in circles when rested forward.

I'm truly excited about a fit Gawn when backed up by Clark and supported forward by one or two of Dawes, Hogan or Fitzy. Depending on the game that also lets us sub out Gawn, play Clark in the ruck (like Hawks do with Hale) and then get a few minutes relief by one of the key forwards just around the ground.

Clark is the perfect second ruck. It's best to keep him fresh by minimizing his ruck numbers and letting him be dangerous forward that way he can really impact in the ruck when needed.

• Like 3

By the way Gawn is my answer as to who will emerge as the number 1 ruck obviously. But Spencer is my answer as to who will ruck in round 1 and I think he's a really important back up. I think you are risking fate playing a ruck for all 22 games and Jamar is getting the boot at some stage so we will need both Spencer and Gawn over the next 2 years.

I'm really hoping big Spence can keep working on his game. He's come so far not to develop his hit out work to be really good and not to improve his skills to competent. It would be such a shame if he gets so close to being a really good better than average back up at least who we can rely on and then doesn't get there.

If Gawn is fit, he's #1. End of story.

If he's not fit, and Clark gets a bionic foot, and Hogan & Dawes are tearing it up so much that we don't need to play Clark forward, then Clark's #1.

If neither of these, we're stuck with Jamar or Spencer. Spencer gives marginally more (still not much) around the ground. Jamar gives more at stoppages, his body use is far better at ball-ups and in packs, and he doesn't make nearly as much mistakes (a few times on Friday, Spencil wrongfooted our entire midfield by winning the tap but hitting it somewhere else then where they were all expecting).

So much here depends on fitness.

Good summary.

I don't understand the lack of love for Gawny.

Ok he's not healthy right now (but not far off) and yes he's building his fitness that last year was a bit short of the required standard. But he's a skilled mark and not a hopeless kick. He provides an option around the ground by getting in the right spot. He follows up his work. He chases and tackles, not that he has the speed of Spencer but he makes an effort. And he's getting more and more competitive in the ruck. And guess what he's just turned 22 so he's 2 years from his peak at least.

Do people not remember his game against Sydney last year when he clearly bested Mumford and Pyke as a duo with only some minor back up from Fitzy.

All Gawn needs is a second guy who can legitimately take 25% of the ruck and a decent key forward so he can rest on the pine or truly in the goal square not chase around in circles when rested forward.

I'm truly excited about a fit Gawn when backed up by Clark and supported forward by one or two of Dawes, Hogan or Fitzy. Depending on the game that also lets us sub out Gawn, play Clark in the ruck (like Hawks do with Hale) and then get a few minutes relief by one of the key forwards just around the ground.

Clark is the perfect second ruck. It's best to keep him fresh by minimizing his ruck numbers and letting him be dangerous forward that way he can really impact in the ruck when needed.

Two Knee reco's in two years gives me little confidence in his ability to withstand the rigours of AFL.

To my knowledge he has not yet been part of the Main training group this year, my confidence is further eroded.

Your ability means zero if you cannot get on the park.

I don't think spencer will ever be a premiership winning ruckman.

Gawn needs to start showing what he can do, at the moment I have no idea what he is capable of and so we shouldn't assume he will be the answer.

Fitzpatrick will never be a no1 ruck man, perhaps a forward ruck.

We need Jamar to find form again, and if Gawn doesn't have a good year I suggest looking for a seasoned ruckman in the draft period.

I'm not a fan of drafting 18 year old rucks, takes too long for them to develop.

If Gawn fails this year we start searching.

Roos loves experienced ruckmen. Jamar will hold onto number 1 spot for most of this year, but he will probably be overtaken by Gawn or Spencer by year's end.