• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Name your rookie prospect

DeeSpencer

What's not to like is that lack of athleticism isn't just limited to fitness. He's a bit short and too slow for AFL. Looks like he'll be a star at State level but I've seen nothing to show he would translate it to AFL. Some kids are just a bit short and solid for AFL these days.

This is from Quigley's Phantom Draft, he sounds like a decent prospect to me as either PSD, if we have one, or Rookie.

Darcy Hourigan

DOB 18/9/95 Ht 192 Wt 96

Hourigan measured in at 192 at Combine and I think he might be one of those who measured a bit tall given he is commonly listed at 190. Still with a September birthday it is possible the he has grown a bit over the year. I have to admit that he does play tall and actually looks taller than the listed 190cm. Height remains the biggest issue for Hourigan as he plays the game as a leading key position. Tim Membrey had the same issue last year and despite having a good Champs he fell all the way to 46. I rate Hourigan as a better prospect than Membrey but expect him to go lower than this on the day as teams just don't want to pay for short key position players and that is what Hourigan is.

Personally if I was going to compare him to anyone as far as playing style goes it would be to Fevola. Fev was about the same height but had a package of attributes that allowed him to become one of the best key position forwards in the game. Hourigan leads a lot like Fevola. He works his man over with strength moves and dummy leads until he commits and once he goes he goes hard. He seemed to get separation easily at under 18 level and he took a lot of comfortable marks at the Champs. He has really nice marking technique out in front of his eyes and he is a strong body that is hard to get around and move off its line. With a defender coming over the top he has good strong hands but he is not truly top notch above his head and he will spill his fair share.

He is a good judge of the ball in the air and he times his arrival at the ball nicely, taking the ball where it gives him the best chance to mark and makes it most difficult for the defender. When the ball hits the ground he reacts quickly but he is inconsistent with his cleanliness. Sometimes he looks good and collects it really nicely for a big guy and at others he does not get low enough and he fumbles.

Hourigan played as a leading CHF at the Champs and did a lot of work inside 50 but he also got up onto the wing a fair bit and presented as a nice marking option for his mids to use. One area where I consider him to be elite is his delivery into 50. For a junior key position player he is excellent and he picks his targets and delivers to the right spot exceptionally well. He is a left footer who seems to have really nice feel on his kicks. His handballing is also pretty good when he is called on to use it and, for a big guy,he has pretty quick hands.

Around goals he has range out to 50, maybe a touch more. He has good goal sense and when he gets the ball in open play he balances, orients and finishes quickly and well. His set shot technique is a little unusual with a high hold but he is pretty well balanced all things considered. He looks to be a pretty good shot for goal and is capable of putting through from difficult angles but as demonstrated at the Champs he is just as capable of missing shots he really should put through. He got a lot of chances at the Champs and did not always take full toll. Still he ended up leading the Champs with 16 goals across his 5 games and really stood up in the games that counted.

Hourigan is a powerful unit who had a strength advantage over the defenders he faced at the Champs and he used that very well. He is solid all over and even walks like a body builder. He is carrying a bit of condition around the stomach which will be gotten rid of over his first offseason at AFL level. He will not have such an advantage at AFL level but I do think he will still have an advantage over a lot of his match ups especially if he is played as a third tall. Hourigan though does not just rely on his strength to be effective.

He has pretty good speed for a KPF and once he gets a step his opponents do not seem to able to close the space very easily. His endurance is not bad but I don't think it is much more than that and with the defensive effort that will be expected of him at the next level he will need to improve. He is not a stand out athletically but when you combine all his attributes he is difficult to handle. As he gets fitter and stronger he will become more difficult to handle but I do expect him to struggle for a year or two to adapt to the bigger and quicker bodies.

Hourigan has played a fair bit of time as a defender and despite not having seen him operate myself he is by all accounts a pretty decent prospect in that regard as well. He debuted as a defender in the SANFL at 15 as South Adelaide's youngest ever player. Despite debuting as a 15 year old he has not been a feature in the SANFL seniors since and I think he only played one game there this year.

Hourigan is likely to be a second rounder and in a weak draft year I think he is well worth taking a punt on. The odds would probably be against him being another Fev but if he can up his endurance you never know. Darling took the next step by taking his running power up about three levels over one preseason. If Hourigan could do something similar he could be similarly effective.

This is from Quigley's Phantom Draft, he sounds like a decent prospect to me as either PSD, if we have one, or Rookie.

Darcy Hourigan

DOB 18/9/95 Ht 192 Wt 96

Hourigan measured in at 192 at Combine and I think he might be one of those who measured a bit tall given he is commonly listed at 190. Still with a September birthday it is possible the he has grown a bit over the year. I have to admit that he does play tall and actually looks taller than the listed 190cm. Height remains the biggest issue for Hourigan as he plays the game as a leading key position. Tim Membrey had the same issue last year and despite having a good Champs he fell all the way to 46. I rate Hourigan as a better prospect than Membrey but expect him to go lower than this on the day as teams just don't want to pay for short key position players and that is what Hourigan is.

Personally if I was going to compare him to anyone as far as playing style goes it would be to Fevola. Fev was about the same height but had a package of attributes that allowed him to become one of the best key position forwards in the game. Hourigan leads a lot like Fevola. He works his man over with strength moves and dummy leads until he commits and once he goes he goes hard. He seemed to get separation easily at under 18 level and he took a lot of comfortable marks at the Champs. He has really nice marking technique out in front of his eyes and he is a strong body that is hard to get around and move off its line. With a defender coming over the top he has good strong hands but he is not truly top notch above his head and he will spill his fair share.

He is a good judge of the ball in the air and he times his arrival at the ball nicely, taking the ball where it gives him the best chance to mark and makes it most difficult for the defender. When the ball hits the ground he reacts quickly but he is inconsistent with his cleanliness. Sometimes he looks good and collects it really nicely for a big guy and at others he does not get low enough and he fumbles.

Hourigan played as a leading CHF at the Champs and did a lot of work inside 50 but he also got up onto the wing a fair bit and presented as a nice marking option for his mids to use. One area where I consider him to be elite is his delivery into 50. For a junior key position player he is excellent and he picks his targets and delivers to the right spot exceptionally well. He is a left footer who seems to have really nice feel on his kicks. His handballing is also pretty good when he is called on to use it and, for a big guy,he has pretty quick hands.

Around goals he has range out to 50, maybe a touch more. He has good goal sense and when he gets the ball in open play he balances, orients and finishes quickly and well. His set shot technique is a little unusual with a high hold but he is pretty well balanced all things considered. He looks to be a pretty good shot for goal and is capable of putting through from difficult angles but as demonstrated at the Champs he is just as capable of missing shots he really should put through. He got a lot of chances at the Champs and did not always take full toll. Still he ended up leading the Champs with 16 goals across his 5 games and really stood up in the games that counted.

Hourigan is a powerful unit who had a strength advantage over the defenders he faced at the Champs and he used that very well. He is solid all over and even walks like a body builder. He is carrying a bit of condition around the stomach which will be gotten rid of over his first offseason at AFL level. He will not have such an advantage at AFL level but I do think he will still have an advantage over a lot of his match ups especially if he is played as a third tall. Hourigan though does not just rely on his strength to be effective.

He has pretty good speed for a KPF and once he gets a step his opponents do not seem to able to close the space very easily. His endurance is not bad but I don't think it is much more than that and with the defensive effort that will be expected of him at the next level he will need to improve. He is not a stand out athletically but when you combine all his attributes he is difficult to handle. As he gets fitter and stronger he will become more difficult to handle but I do expect him to struggle for a year or two to adapt to the bigger and quicker bodies.

Hourigan has played a fair bit of time as a defender and despite not having seen him operate myself he is by all accounts a pretty decent prospect in that regard as well. He debuted as a defender in the SANFL at 15 as South Adelaide's youngest ever player. Despite debuting as a 15 year old he has not been a feature in the SANFL seniors since and I think he only played one game there this year.

Hourigan is likely to be a second rounder and in a weak draft year I think he is well worth taking a punt on. The odds would probably be against him being another Fev but if he can up his endurance you never know. Darling took the next step by taking his running power up about three levels over one preseason. If Hourigan could do something similar he could be similarly effective.

I didn't mind the look of this chap either from watching his highlights. He is much more confident bombing it towards goal from outside-50 than Miller (for example) ever was! I think that he would be worth investing in considering last year found us out with talls.

Darcy Hourigan: 190cm, 92kg

Key Forward who uses his body strength to his advantage when in one on one contests. Great contested mark due to his strong hands, whilst a good kick for goal.

Look at his clip>> http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/darcy-hourigan

The big question is where do we go from here?

Since the end of the season, we've added the following players to our list:-

► Jesse Hogan (2012 GWS Minidraft)

► Daniel Cross (trade)

► Viv Michie (trade)

► Aidan Riley (trade)

► Dominic Tyson (trade)

► Bernie Vince (trade)

► Christian Salem (draft)

► Jay Kennedy-Hunt (draft)

► Jayden Hunt (draft)

It's likely that we'll redraft Neville Jetta who has continued to train with the club.

That leaves us with three players and I would have to say we probably take no more than one more midfielder as a rookie given the number in that category who we've already selected either by way of trade or draft.

I would be looking at getting a key position player or two and a smallish defender to round off the list. I think we're OK in the ruck ATM.

I would be putting a premium on experience here as well. I think we all recall the familiar refrain that came from Mark Neeld last year (one that he was IMO unfairly criticised for by some) that our list lacked experience and he backed that up with statistics that showed us to be badly deficient in this area. I don't recall the precise numbers but Neeld quoted us at being in the high 40s average per game played against Sydney at well over 110.

To overcome this, I think we should go for some bigger bodied more mature players. For example, Mitch Thorp (who trained with us a few years ago and has by all reports both matured and improved considerably) and Joel Tippett who had a good year in 2013 in the SANFL and who tested well at the draft combine.

If we decided to go for both, the problem would be that with picks 2, then 20 we possibly wouldn't get both of them. This then raises the issue of whether we can delist Dan Nicholson with the promise of then taking him as a rookie which opens up your PSD pick which guarantees you a player because that pick would be the first "live" selection on Wednesday morning.

That gives you:

► PSD2 Thorp

► RD 2 Tippett

► RD 20 midfielder/small defender

► RD 38 Nicholson

► RD 56 Jetta

Any thoughts?

Bit left field here, but I wonder if with 3 established ruckmen next year and another just added, plus another I think on their list, would the Dockers see Hannath as surplus. If we still wanted him and if they don't, we could do a deal with the Dockers to delist him, on the basis we PSD or rookie him and take up his contract payment.

Then again if we don't want him or they do, it's all over.

Nicholson could be delisted and taken back as a rookie if we wanted to use our PSD pick, which I hope we do, if there is a better player available.

I seriously doubt that would ever happen..

Since the end of the season, we've added the following players to our list:-

► Jesse Hogan (2012 GWS Minidraft)

► Daniel Cross (trade)

► Viv Michie (trade)

► Aidan Riley (trade)

► Dominic Tyson (trade)

► Bernie Vince (trade)

► Christian Salem (draft)

► Jay Kennedy-Hunt (draft)

► Jayden Hunt (draft)

It's likely that we'll redraft Neville Jetta who has continued to train with the club.

That leaves us with three players and I would have to say we probably take no more than one more midfielder as a rookie given the number in that category who we've already selected either by way of trade or draft.

I would be looking at getting a key position player or two and a smallish defender to round off the list. I think we're OK in the ruck ATM.

I would be putting a premium on experience here as well. I think we all recall the familiar refrain that came from Mark Neeld last year (one that he was IMO unfairly criticised for by some) that our list lacked experience and he backed that up with statistics that showed us to be badly deficient in this area. I don't recall the precise numbers but Neeld quoted us at being in the high 40s average per game played against Sydney at well over 110.

To overcome this, I think we should go for some bigger bodied more mature players. For example, Mitch Thorp (who trained with us a few years ago and has by all reports both matured and improved considerably) and Joel Tippett who had a good year in 2013 in the SANFL and who tested well at the draft combine.

If we decided to go for both, the problem would be that with picks 2, then 20 we possibly wouldn't get both of them. This then raises the issue of whether we can delist Dan Nicholson with the promise of then taking him as a rookie which opens up your PSD pick which guarantees you a player because that pick would be the first "live" selection on Wednesday morning.

That gives you:

► PSD2 Thorp

► RD 2 Tippett

► RD 38 Nicholson

► RD 56 Jetta

Any thoughts?

Rather than focus on delisting Nicho and then rookieing him, I prefer Redleg's idea that we entice Byrnes to retire and offer him a playing coach role with Casey which would then leave us with three live picks in the rookie draft rather than two under the scenario above.

This could end up a Win-Win-Win outcome for Byrnes, MFC and Casey by ensuring he is not out of pocket and continuing his football career whilst gaining coaching experience, we get the best available player in the PSD and Casey is strengthened in their playing/coaching depth courtesy of MFC.

► PSD2 Thorp

► RD 2 Tippett

► RD 38 Nicholson

► RD 56 Jetta

Any thoughts?

I like the idea of Tippett - ready-to-go KPD support. If Frawley and McDonald get injured we've got only got Pedersen and Garland as key backs. And Frawley's future with the club is uncertain. I'd also like us to take a young KPB if there are any decent ones available - I'd be looking for some size - 194cm+. Looking at the tall defenders at http://www.afl.com.au/2013-draft/draft-machine there appears to be Fraser Fort and Alex Spencer in the frame. Some have suggested Sully from the Cats, I'm wary, their development program is great and they don't let good prospects go - maybe it's just post Gillies blues.

So I'd like to see Tippett or Sully and F.Fort or A.Spencer.

Rather than focus on delisting Nicho and then rookieing him, I prefer Redleg's idea that we entice Byrnes to retire and offer him a playing coach role with Casey which would then leave us with three live picks in the rookie draft rather than two under the scenario above.

This could end up a Win-Win-Win outcome for Byrnes, MFC and Casey by ensuring he is not out of pocket and continuing his football career whilst gaining coaching experience, we get the best available player in the PSD and Casey is strengthened in their playing/coaching depth courtesy of MFC.

I read somewhere else on Demonland that Nicholson is definitely contracted. I think it's too late in the piece to do anything with Byrnes. It's not a good look for the club, sets a bad example to the playing group and any payout might be deemed to attract salary cap issues even if the player was prepared to play ball. So it's going to be a bit costly and, in the circumstances reinforces the fact that the club must have been keen on Jayden Hunt.

I like the idea of Tippett - ready-to-go KPD support. If Frawley and McDonald get injured we've got only got Pedersen and Garland as key backs. And Frawley's future with the club is uncertain. I'd also like us to take a young KPB if there are any decent ones available - I'd be looking for some size - 194cm+. Looking at the tall defenders at http://www.afl.com.au/2013-draft/draft-machine there appears to be Fraser Fort and Alex Spencer in the frame. Some have suggested Sully from the Cats, I'm wary, their development program is great and they don't let good prospects go - maybe it's just post Gillies blues.

So I'd like to see Tippett or Sully and F.Fort or A.Spencer.

Brad Miller playing for Casey once kicked 10 on Tippett then playing for Gold Coast in the VFL. No matter how much he's improved that always sticks with me.

Totally agree. He is a likeable guy but he just does not work hard enough. He has been given every opportunity but does not have the ability to be a consistent player at this level. At training on Wednesday he was last on every occasion in the 400's. His attitude annoyed me the most because instead of starting at the front he always started from the back and showed no desire to improve his position. In all honesty he plays the way he trains.

As a Club we have been pathetic for so long we need to be ruthless at the moment and forget about "hurt feelings"..

We should do everythng necessary to have a live pick in the PSD (priority no 1) and have a full 4 picks in the rookie draft. Only take Jetta if there is no else as a better prospect. No promises Nev.

Eli Templeton or Nick Bourke or Jimmy Tsistas, couldn't believe they didn't get drafted in the ND i thought they would all be 2nd rounders.

Totally agree. He is a likeable guy but he just does not work hard enough. He has been given every opportunity but does not have the ability to be a consistent player at this level. At training on Wednesday he was last on every occasion in the 400's. His attitude annoyed me the most because instead of starting at the front he always started from the back and showed no desire to improve his position. In all honesty he plays the way he trains.

As a Club we have been pathetic for so long we need to be ruthless at the moment and forget about "hurt feelings"..

We should do everythng necessary to have a live pick in the PSD (priority no 1) and have a full 4 picks in the rookie draft. Only take Jetta if there is no else as a better prospect. No promises Nev.

Exactly.

If he is still lagging in the running drills after being in the AFL system for this long then see you later Nev. ...

I would pick spencer. Every time I see him play he reminds me of jake Carlisle. He is a very good 1v 1 and very competitive. Can also move forward on occasion like Harry Taylor. Takes a good contested mark. We need another key back and he is a better prospect than sully imo. I'm surprised he is not mentioned more. Played chb and fb for vicmetro.

Brad Miller playing for Casey once kicked 10 on Tippett then playing for Gold Coast in the VFL. No matter how much he's improved that always sticks with me.

That was actually against Karmicheal Hunt, not Tippett

Gary Ablett Snr would choose when he felt like training.

Dane Swan barely breaks a sweat at training.

Nicholson is a great trainer.

Last year we apparently were on fire at training.

Training is training. Not playing.

(I'm not sticking up for Nev, not saying he's an Ablett or a Swan, but let's get some perspective on some sprints at a training session please)

Edited by stuie

I didn't mind the look of this chap either from watching his highlights. He is much more confident bombing it towards goal from outside-50 than Miller (for example) ever was! I think that he would be worth investing in considering last year found us out with talls.

Darcy Hourigan: 190cm, 92kg

Key Forward who uses his body strength to his advantage when in one on one contests. Great contested mark due to his strong hands, whilst a good kick for goal.

Look at his clip>> http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/darcy-hourigan

Not a priority but would be handy. Plays tall and very combative.

Darcy Hourigan

DOB 18/9/95 Ht 192 Wt 96

Oddly enough, I was hoping we'd take him with pick 40 or 57.

I really rate him. He fights for the ball with the tenacity of a hungry dog going after a bone.

Mitch Harvey got half his 20 goals at the u18 champs from this bloke.

Reminds me of Dunstall at the same age.

Oddly enough, I was hoping we'd take him with pick 40 or 57.

I really rate him. He fights for the ball with the tenacity of a hungry dog going after a bone.

Mitch Harvey got half his 20 goals at the u18 champs from this bloke.

Reminds me of Dunstall at the same age.

It's obvious the guy can play but the question is can he translate it to AFL. He's certainly not big enough to be the second ruck/forward and he'll routinely come up against defenders who have a few centrimeters on him at least like Tom McDonald at 195cm and sometimes even come up against guys like Jake Carlisle who's around 200cm. If he can't beat them for speed then he's hard pressed to out reach them.So then you wonder if he'll play up the ground and have elite fitness and work rate to be in the CHF spot. Looking at his build I wonder about that as well.

So to put more detail into the players I think we should look at.

Pick 2 being a KPD. Our best options are:

Matthew Sully (VIC – KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 15/10/1992
Recruited from: Geelong (VFL)
Style:
Player comparison: Kyle Hartigan
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Good 1v1 defender who plays a strong shutdown role in the back half. He will consistently win his contests getting in the spoil every time or take the mark and has some real body on body strength. He’ll get the job done every week and he has stepped his game up again this year and is ready to take the next step. AFL ready despite his still relatively young age and can step in for a team immediately as a stopper down back.

Fraser Fort (VIC – KPD)

Height: 196cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 04/10/1995
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Fort is one of the better key defenders in the TAC. He’s more your shutdown defender with some real athleticism with his pace and leap both above average. He has in the past also shown that he can play forward to a solid standard and present as a marking target but in a star studded Geelong Falcons team with McCartin and Goddard who both look like top 5 selections next year both as key forwards there is a pretty good reason why he hasn’t played forward as much this season. I see Fort settling as more of a defender with others more talented as forwards but he’ll need to continue to expand his game. He’s generally strong overhead and plays well down both ends of the field.

or

Alex Spencer (VIC – KPD)

Height: 193cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 19/04/1995
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 30 - undrafted
Profile: Spencer is an athletic key defender with some versatility to his game. He has a strong 1v1 game and is a strong contested mark. Behind the play he reads the ball well and has a natural feel for when he can go and take an intercept mark. He also has the ability to play either a shutdown or rebounding role as required. He also isn’t afraid to take the game on with his run and carry or use it by foot as one of the better kicks at his size. He just doesn’t come with any flash to his game as a relatively unexciting key defender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z004xm4hoYQ

Pick 20, a ruckman:

Darcy Cameron (WA – Ruck/KPF)

Height: 203cm, Weight: 98kg, DOB: 18/07/1995
Recruited from: Claremont
Style: Dean Cox
Player comparison:
Profile: Cameron is one of the better ruckmen this year because he is not only an effective tap ruckman but because he can present as a target up forward and influence games in the front half with his clean hands overhead and ability to take marks, mark on the lead as well as convert from those opportunities. Cameron reads it well in the air and can also push back and take an intercept mark. He has some size on his frame already which is encouraging and he covers the ground reasonably well for a young tall.

Josh Miller (SA – Ruck)

Height: 204cm, Weight: 94kg, DOB: 07/01/1995
Recruited from: Glenelg
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: Rookie - undrafted
Profile: Miller is a tall ruckman who has shown some signs. His taps well directed. Good mover for his size. Relatively skilled for a tall ruckman. Just needs to become more dominant and add some more weapons to his game.

Ben Mabon (VIC – Ruck)

Height: 200cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 14/06/1992
Recruited from: North Melbourne Kangaroos
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: From North Ballarat, Ben Mabon is an athletic, running ruckman. With excellent work ethic and technique at stoppages, Mabon is always improving and frequently impressing at VFL level with the Roosters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1UGGokC3ew

Darcy Fort (VIC – Ruck)

Height: 203cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 06/08/1993
Recruited from: Werribee
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Mature ruckman overlooked last year. Has shown promise this year through the VFL. Still as with all young ruckman a work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ITQafsips

or

Fraser Thurlow (QLD – Ruck/KPF)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 100kg, DOB: 06/01/1993
Recruited from: Labrador
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Thurlow is a tall who can play forward or ruck. He’s a couple of years older and his body has matured well. Very strong mark overhead. Competitive in the ruck. Finds plenty of it around the ground.

Pick 38, a midfielder who can push forward:

James Harmes (VIC – Mid)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 05/10/1995
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: Late - undrafted
Profile: Harmes is an aggressive midfielder who inside the contest really attacks the ball hard on the inside and will go in for it. He’s got above average pace and can also at times push forward and take a mark.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/591918/draft-prospect-james-harmes/

William Maginness (VIC – Mid/Fwd)Height: 182cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 13/01/1995
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 40 - undrafted
Profile: Highly productive midfielder and a much improved player over this past year. Plays a good two way game and has a nice combination of ability inside and outside the contest. Maginness can win his own footy inside the contest, win the clearances and has some evasiveness and slipperiness to him inside the contest as a really smooth mover. But then outside the contest runs and spreads well. He has a light body but just about everything else.

Ben Sokol (WA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 183cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 28/10/1995
Recruited from: South Fremantle
Style: Dane Swan (early career)
Player comparison:
Range: 45-rookie
Profile: Sokol is a strong marking forward who can really put his stamp on games. Sokol’s point of difference is his ability marking ability 1v1 up forward for a midfielder. He has Dane Swan type strength 1v1 where no guy can go with him as his strength is just so strong but then also has those strong hands to really take those grabs. He his age he has incredible size and strength. He’s also a very effective leadup marking target. Sokol’s endurance is also excellent for someone with such a strong body making him a hard player to go with and just seems to be one of those players who just knows how to find the footy easier than the next guy. He’s also an excellent finisher around goal. He seems to improve with every game and is a player as a midfield rotation type who can play up forward could be better than most think.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/592066/draft-prospect-ben-sokol/

Thomas Shanahan (WA – Mid)

Height: 183cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 28/04/1995
Recruited from: East Perth
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 25-undrafted
Profile: Shanahan is someone who has really made a case for selection with some incredibly impressive production. He’s winning his own footy inside the contest but also finding plenty of it outside and linking up well. He’s a strong tackler and plays a solid two way game. He’s got excellent endurance and runs all day. He tested well. He’s just not the most damaging user of the footy.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/594386/draft-prospect-thomas-shanahan/

Jake Best (VIC – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 182cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 20/10/89
Recruited from: Casey Scorpions
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Best is a mature ager who has changed his focus from cricket to footy. He’s a strong marking medium midfielder/forward who can take it on the lead and in the air.

or

Chris Cain (VIC – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 14/07/1987
Recruited from: Port Melbourne
Style:
Player comparison: Sam Dywer
Range: late/rookie
Profile: Cain has been one of the better performed players in the VFL these past few seasons and seems finally hot on the radar of clubs this season. Cain is a midfielder with a nice skill set but also strong hands overhead allowing him to be a marking threat when he pushes forward. Athletically he’s above average with a nice combination of pace and endurance at his disposal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH6qP-x7l84

Pick 56, a mature age KPF:

Mitch Thorp (TAS – Fwd/KPF)

Height: 194cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 25/12/1988
Recruited from: South Launceston
Style: Jarrad Grant
Player comparison:
Profile: Thorp is someone who has taken longer than first hoped to develop and mature but he has finally matured this season back home in Tasmania as captain and coach of his club. He’s helped the youth at his club develop and he helped his team to a premiership so he’s the type of person that you want to bring into your club. Thorp is not the key forward he is being advertised as but plays more as a tall half forward with a strong running game and above average marking ability by position. In saying that he’s finding plenty of the footy, taking plenty of marks and hitting the scoreboard as his 78 goals from 20 games suggests. You don’t want him to be the primary target in your front half but he’s someone who could play a part as a 2nd or 3rd target in a forward half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnEO77lReBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWl_n6BcyPs

Khan Haretuku (VIC – KPF/KPD)

Height: 198cm, Weight: 98kg, DOB: 19/10/1989

Recruited from: Frankston Dolphins
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: ONCE on St Kilda’s rookie list, Haretuku has since made it his own pledge to prove his former club wrong. His former coach Ross Lyon sat him down in his office and told him that he was not good enough for AFL level. It hurt him deeply but soon got back on the track at the Dolphins and has added new strings to his bow under coach Simon Goosey. Not only does he play deep in attack, he has found confidence around centre half forward and further up the ground. Haretuku has the makings of an AFL career and Goosey knows it. He has spruiked his talent to most clubs and knows that one club will get him during the rookie draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNKH4yoQpp8

Andrew Ainger (SA – KPF)

Height: 197cm, Weight: 96kg, DOB: ? (25 years old)

Recruited from: Woodville West Torrens Eagles
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: rookie
Profile: Key position big bodied forward who had a breakout year in the SANFL in 2013, kicking more then 50 goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpGMqud1wBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayBgXb3f1Jw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9z7u9vtEoU

Aaron Cornelius (Tas via Qld – KPF)

Height: 192cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 29/05/1990

Recruited from: Brisbane Lions

Style:
Range: rookie
Profile: Aaron Cornelius was recruited from Tasmania as a promising forward who is strong on the lead and has very clean hands. He reads the play very well and has the tools to be an exciting key forward prospect for any club willing to give him a second chance. Kicked 35 goals in 25 games for the Lions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c37Ki9eDZdU

Edit: Added footage.

Edited by Tall Defence

LIKE!

Good post KD. Sounds like some good prospects!