Containing the hype!!!!!

S.R.J

there is NO hype to contain, we are and will continue to be, the laughing stock of the competition until we win. this thread is cringworthy and in order to "contain the hype" should be shut down.

If you don't like the thread then don't read it. Simple. Stop being a [censored]...

I am far more excited about George Stone looking after our midfield than anything else that has happened in the last few weeks.

Didn't matter who we added to the midfield, we needed a proven midfield coach to take the reins.

I picked up in the Dom Tyson interview that Ben Matthews will be working with Stone on the midfield. I understood he was heading to the Backline but it would appear not now.

there is NO hype to contain, we are and will continue to be, the laughing stock of the competition until we win. this thread is cringworthy and in order to "contain the hype" should be shut down.

Agreed

I can see us leap frogging St Kilda nextyear, staying ahead of GWS, maybe jumping ahead of Dogs/Lions but that's about it.

So based on that, I see us finishing around 14th or 15th, but not much better. That's an optimistic take as well because I'm hoping like hell that Tyson is as good as his original draft position suggests, and that he can come straight in and have an impact. It's also based on the additions of Hogan and a healthy Clark giving us one of the most dangerous forward lines in the league.

But, our mid's are still young and not as developed as some other teams, so it'll take time.

The other club that could fall a bit next season is west coast. With all their retirements, I'm not sure they are as strong or deep in the midfield as they once were. There's cause for optimism, but only cautious optimism.

If we get rid of the floggings, win a few more games, and show some potential for further improvement, then that will be progress enough.

Edited by pm24
  • Like 1

I'm just waiting for some nong to suggest a bottom 4 finish is okay we'll get a good pick next year :wacko:

Or for that matter, that 'being competitive for longer' will be ok!

A lot of those terrible scorelines were reflective of opposition getting massive runs on. They had momentum and we hadnt the playets to stem it.

I just canteen see that happening any more.

We played like rabble often . Not making good use of ball when we did have it. We have some decent mids now. We have a guru to teach them also.

Im predicting we will hardly recognise Melbourne in 14.

Hey 'bub, just a minor thing but I think the correct spelling of playets is playettes (lol)

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 1

Hey 'bub, just a minor thing but I think the correct spelling of playets is playettes (lol)

:huh::rolleyes:

I think if we can reproduce our 2010 form (not that that was anything to write home about), we can say we are on the right track. It will say we are back on an even keel and have retained the ground we lost during what I like to call the 'Reality Bus era'.

I think if we can reproduce our 2010 form (not that that was anything to write home about), we can say we are on the right track. It will say we are back on an even keel and have retained the ground we lost during what I like to call the 'Reality Bus era'.

Funny how we thought 2010 was crap until we hit 2011/12 !

• Like 3

So after the excitement of last weeks wheeling and dealings of bringing in some solid midfield grunt it got me a bit excited for season 2014. It got me thinking. Are we a chance of doing a Port Adelaide and making a run for the 8? or would we be a better side than last year with about 5-6 wins and a % of around 85-90?

To be honest I will not be disappointed if it is the 2nd option. This year I would not mind if we won 5-6 games as long as the consecutive thrashings stopped. This is where Roos comes into play plus the new midfield. Lets hope for a competitive side for 2014 and stick it up the arses of those [censored] like Caroline Wilson, Greg Denham, Damian "[censored]" Barrett.

Let me know what your realistic expectations are this year. Remember to take into account that Clark, Dawes and a few others didn't play a lot this year. Bring on 2014

Mate I'll be containing the hype in my pants if the dees come out of the pre season with any injuries to key players and we win 5 on the trott!!

Until that happens I'm not holding my breath.. Been a long time sin e, 04 05 and 06

• Like 1

Oh Bugger. I've booked a European trip for Sept - Oct.

Tell me we will only finish 9th please!!

Only if we get done for taking performance enhancing drugs and that will never happen

Funny how we thought 2010 was crap until we hit 2011/12 !

2010 was supposed to be a start. While there have been examples of teams coming from the clouds (i.e. us in 1998, Brisbane in 1999 and Port last year) they are usually the exception, not the rule. I viewed that year as the start of a journey. The problem was we reached a fork in the road on that journey and we took the wrong path. After taking the wrong road, we have gone backwards at a rate of knots (I thought 2012 was us taking to steps back to go 5 steps forward, turns out we took 10 steps back and stayed there).

Jones still our best midfielder, yes we've got him some more support in Cross, Tyson and Michie.

Viney will make an impact.

Vince in for Sylvia out.

Can Roos rapidly elevate Trengove, Watts and Toumpas?

It's a long road. Bottom 4 a lock IMO.

Sadly I think you are right on the money on this.

We won't fix the midfield problems in a solitary draft.

I just feel like venting.

To me, CS clearly did not respect the sovereignty of the FD when Bailey was appointed - CEO's should never, ever get involved at micro-managing at the operational level.

To me it appeared as if Bailey was happy to go with an "us v them" mentality, dragging the playing group into a game of poison politics. I'm guessing Bailey was one of those managers that says "I don't agree with this mate, so let's pretend to do it while I am actually also doing what I want".

Roos' excellent interview with John Bertrand highlighted his belief that ego is an impediment to being a great leader (yep, that's my version).

What infected our club in the first place was a power play between two blokes that have never even come close to leading unified teams to the ultimate success. Goddam amatuer hour.

End of rant.

Sadly I think you are right on the money on this.

We won't fix the midfield problems in a solitary draft.

Surely you can see that we've added depth and talent to the midfield, (our problem area).

That can only mean improvement Rhino. With Paul Roos as couch as well, I think it would be silly to think we won't improve.

Fix it? Of course not. Improve it? Definitely.

Agree

• Like 1

I think the hype this year is about equivalent with the misplaced hype that infected many last year.

It is a very different situation to last year. For a start we have an administration, and coach who know what they are doing. We can be sure that come game day, this team will get the most out of what we have. The old admin did leave the basis of a good backline, and a forward line. What they didnt do is bring along a well coached high number of first round draft pick group, so particularly our on-ball group is disfunctional, which we are fixing by trading and by bringing along talented key players who have chronically under performed: Trengove; Watts; Grimes; Bleese; Toumpas; Evans; Howe; Viney; Byrnes; Fitzpatrick; Gawn; both Jones etc, etc.

That is very very different from last year. The upside is huge - it would need to be given the position we found ourselves in.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 1

If some of you think we are going to win 10+ games next year you are going to be disappointed, if some of you don't take some solace in being in games longer without actually winning them - you are going to be disappointed.

So many excited people forcing themselves to be disappointed people...

• Like 1

Fix it? Of course not. Improve it? Definitely.

Well the midfield could not have been worse and it's no doubt that there is a net gain on LY.

But as 55 articulated simply and clearly, if you push past the hype that lingers at this time, the deficiencies in the midfield will take time to resolve. The changes this year are necessary but are small steps.

Surely you can see that we've added depth and talent to the midfield, (our problem area).

That can only mean improvement Rhino. With Paul Roos as couch as well, I think it would be silly to think we won't improve.

Depth in the midfield is not our problem. Talent will take a number of drafts to fix. I did not say we could not or would not improve.

But I don't think what has been done to date translates to us bursting out of the bottom 4.

It is a very different situation to last year.

That is very very different from last year. The upside is huge - it would need to be given the position we found ourselves in.

Thanks you validated my original statement well. Edited by Rhino Richards