AFL NATIONAL DRAFT - Pick 9

What

The 20m sprint times for a comparison as 17/18 yr olds:

Freeman - 2.81 secs

Dangerfield - 2.93 secs

Watts - 2.82 secs

So Freeman has Watts covered by 0.01secs over 20m - Like the sound of these two together in the midfield.

I like Watts more than most here but I reckon that 2.82 is a fairy tale. Perhaps there was only 19m between the gates that day, a howling tailwind or the course was on a downhill section of Arthur's seat. Has anyone actually seen Jack look that fast on the field? I've never seen that sort of brutal acceleration or withering closing speed from him.

Given our development of players of late perhaps we have knocked it out of him but until proven otherwise I will put his 2.82 into the same basket as Elvis sightings and alien abductions

At that point in time Watts was an incredibly skinny/ scrawny U18 year old with little skeletal and muscular mass. His physical development may have slowed him down some what, although I don't think that is the primary reason as to why we rarely see him use his pace to his advantage.

In comparison Freeman looks ready to go and is as solid as a rock - I can't see him losing too much pace over the next few years, nor can I see him getting moved around the ground until his club determines his role. When I watch Freeman I get the feeling with him is "what you see is what you get", with little probability of him turning out to be a spud or waiting for that so called potential we all see.

• Like 1

They all bring something a little different . An element I do like about Freeman is there's not a lot of gloss about him. He's far more nuts and bolts hard at it , in there and at'em ( sorry mike ) . Hes pretty much wysiwyg. I can see that he can and could get better still but with some other players/picks you tend to veer towards what the potential 'ought' to outcome with them. In and of itself there's nothing wrong with that if that's what you seek. I think Roos is looking to build an engine room that works from day 1 next season. Do you take the 3.5 L turbo or the 5 L grunt box ? depends what you want doesn't it. We need something that runs up and down all day giving good service. Freeman strikes me as this.

• Like 1

I really like Freeman. His speed is impressive and he just gets the ball. Fill our needs the most I think.

Disagree. I really think for us to draft yet another who can't kick accurately would be a mistake. We have simply done this too often in the past and it has cost us dearly viz Bleese, Gysberts, Jones, Garland, Macdonald, McLean, Sylvia, Matt Jones.

Ben Lennon is our man: tall, big, a brilliant kick, great engine, a terrific mark, and has the best kick for goal accuracy in the draft. Do it Melbourne.

• Like 1

He was exceptional in repeat sprint testing.

Just double checked. 2nd in the 20m sprint and 7th in the repeat sprints so I guess you're right.

He definitely did a pretty ordinary beep test so maybe my original point still stands. Either way he has never looked overly quick on the footy field.

For the record, Blease ran a 2.91.

At that point in time Watts was an incredibly skinny/ scrawny U18 year old with little skeletal and muscular mass. His physical development may have slowed him down some what, although I don't think that is the primary reason as to why we rarely see him use his pace to his advantage.

In comparison Freeman looks ready to go and is as solid as a rock - I can't see him losing too much pace over the next few years, nor can I see him getting moved around the ground until his club determines his role. When I watch Freeman I get the feeling with him is "what you see is what you get", with little probability of him turning out to be a spud or waiting for that so called potential we all see.

I don't know how many here have seen the Demons train, but Watts is certainly not an elite trainer: in fact he is pretty average, and has an average engine. He may be ok in short bursts, but I doubt he could do it repeatedly.

Let me say here and now I am not one of those on this site who knock JW all the time. I think he is potentially our best player and one of the elite in the AFL, but like so many on our list has been appallingly badly managed. Roos will fix this. I look forward to the day when I can look on at our training sessions and see JW exhibit an elite engine and the "bust a gut" attitude that the elite trainers on our list like Fitzy and Nicho do every time they go out to train. This also goes for the most of the rest of them.

Some people on here think I go on about Fitzy a bit much. He is a man who through shere determination is close to being an outstanding player in his sport of choice in the face of serious health problems. If the likes of Watts or Bleese showed 10% of that determination we would be Premiers every year!

Just double checked. 2nd in the 20m sprint and 7th in the repeat sprints so I guess you're right.

He definitely did a pretty ordinary beep test so maybe my original point still stands. Either way he has never looked overly quick on the footy field.

For the record, Blease ran a 2.91.

Absolutely you're still right - he's a burst player that struggles to keep the motor turning without a rest. The beep test was the better indicator in that respect.

I don't know how many here have seen the Demons train, but Watts is certainly not an elite trainer: in fact he is pretty average, and has an average engine. He may be ok in short bursts, but I doubt he could do it repeatedly.

Let me say here and now I am not one of those on this site who knock JW all the time. I think he is potentially our best player and one of the elite in the AFL, but like so many on our list has been appallingly badly managed. Roos will fix this. I look forward to the day when I can look on at our training sessions and see JW exhibit an elite engine and the "bust a gut" attitude that the elite trainers on our list like Fitzy and Nicho do every time they go out to train. This also goes for the most of the rest of them.

Some people on here think I go on about Fitzy a bit much. He is a man who through shere determination is close to being an outstanding player in his sport of choice in the face of serious health problems. If the likes of Watts or Bleese showed 10% of that determination we would be Premiers every year!

I admire Fitzy for working through his health problems, I also admire that he started to work harder at training but an elite trainer he isn't. 2 pre's ago he would have been our worst trainer, the coaches were consistently on his back about following up his kicks. He would kick the ball and jog off with no urgency. The pre season just gone you could see a lift in his urgency which he needed to do but as I say elite trainer he is a long way from being.

I agree with this. I'd say the repeat sprints they do (which, from memory he didn't do too well in) are a better indicator of "footy field" speed. As anyone would know it's hard to run fast when you're fatigued.

From memory Watts also did quite well in the repeat sprints. He came equal 7th with Stephen Hill.

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2008.htm

• Like 1

He's not an "elite" kick, but there's nothing wrong with his kicking.

Yeah, I see Freeman as being a piece of clay that Roos will mould.

There are small adjustments in his skill execution that will make him that much more damaging, e.g. his running bounces are a bit awkward, and he needs to slow to take a final steadying stride before be kicks.

He is a workhorse and I'd be very happy with him if we don't go for Lennon.

Crouch avgs 38 possessions a game, and people are talking about Salem instead.

Prenderghastly must have a few relatives on demonland.

There are the 4 players in this draft that will play 200 games;

Scharenberg

Sheed

Freeman

Crouch

These guys are the grouse. Don't worry about the rest. These are the blokes that like the taste of battle.

Edited by tonatopia

Scharenberg

Sheed

Freeman

Crouch

These guys are the grouse. Don't worry about the rest. These are the blokes that like the taste of battle.

You clearly don't understand the concept that the quality of those possessions is important.

Did you see how Vic Country went with Crouch getting all those touches?

How about his TAC Cup team?

He's about a 4/10 for skill.

There's a reason phantom drafts have him going about 15-20.

• Like 4

Scharenberg

Sheed

Freeman

Crouch

Bit of editing from the accountant 'tona'? Thought 'Robbo', he of the $100 bill is better than 3 $50's did the original addition.

You clearly don't understand the concept that the quality of those possessions is important.

Did you see how Vic Country went with Crouch getting all those touches?

How about his TAC Cup team?

He's about a 4/10 for skill.

There's a reason phantom drafts have him going about 15-20.

Tell that to Todd viney, Ron barassi and Jimmy stynes.