DemonJunkie

Just watching the second quarter I found exhausting - haven't seen such pressure.

I hope that all our players had a very close look at how to shut down an opposition....and then go on to win.

i don't understand people who bag Ross Lyon. The guy knows exactly what he is doing.

His most influential teacher was.....??

i don't understand people who bag Ross Lyon. The guy knows exactly what he is doing.

I think it might have been a little bit both ways 'wyl'. Ross and Roos go back to the Fitzroy days, they are friends and they will both leave a legacy.

Tipped this matchup after Round 23.

And after seeing Geelong get manhandled live at Simonds, I knew it was a good tip.

The Geelong supporters were offended that someone in the crowd would even applaud a good mark by the opposition (especially when sitting near the wags, VFL players et al).

Freo will obliterate Hawthorn.

I've always felt the hawks gamestyle is NQR for finals, because it still heavily involves pinpoint kicking to moving targets.

Whilst this works amazingly well during the season, under finals pressure, especially GF pressure, this has a habit of coming undone at inopportune moments.

Freo's intense pressure will strangle Hawthorn, they won't be able to implement most of what they have spent all season practicing and they will be lost.

I can't wait.

• Like 2

Again, terrible goal kicking by the winning team.

2008: Geelong lose because of poor goal kicking.

2009: St Kilda lose because of poor goal kicking.

2010: Collingwood initially drew with St Kilda because of poor goal kicking.

2012: Hawthon lose because of poor goal kicking.

2014: ?

I'm not surprised Lyon didn't seem all that happy after he game, Freo really took the foot off the accelerator in the second half, albeit after a phenomenal second quarter.

They did start with the basis of a good team hh.

This is not a silk purse from a sows ear job.

OD I must remind you of the DL code of conduct.

It is not possible for any fremantle team to be called GOOD.

I going to Subiaco Oval today with a can of disinfectant as I would not wabt to catch something from one of their feral supporters (sorry Mum and Dad).

Someone must STOP the Purple Plague so the Hawks have my full support even though their colours suck.

:P :P :P :P

OD I must remind you of the DL code of conduct.

It is not possible for any fremantle team to be called GOOD.

I going to Subiaco Oval today with a can of disinfectant as I would not wabt to catch something from one of their feral supporters (sorry Mum and Dad).

Someone must STOP the Purple Plague so the Hawks have my full support even though their colours suck.

:P :P :P :P

Here goes with another rule breaker around here.

I don't mind the Hawks colours and like them as a club and team.

They are everything I wish the Dees to be!

Go Hawks.

• Like 1

Bloody Haw another Flag coming up!

Freo will get smashed & Swans 2 many injuries

Sorry Hate Hawks due to damage done to me in 87 prelim & 88 GF

Freo are too ferocious, if nerves don't get the better of them. Pav is in fine form, Crowley the best in the business (as its a Grannie I expect a hawks player to try and knock him out), mundy, fyfe... They are a quality team playing the best footy by far at the end of the season.

That was the most amazing Quarter i have ever seen.

Paul Roos taught Ross Lyon a lot of what he knows.

This is the pressure i want to see from the Demons.

I have waited 50 years.

Do it Paul. You KNOW how to implement this.

May Whorethorn get SMASHED NEXT SATURDAY....SMASHED.

Don't be too unfair to Lyon. He has taken the game of footy to a new level. Last night first half was a massacre of which we have never seem before.

It could be a different story on a wider ground where there is more room to spread out and thus harder to keep the pressure up.

As interesting as it was to watch, largely because it was a final, I'd prefer to watch skills rather than pressure and an endless scramble.

Soft spot for Freo.

Followed them for a while when the Wiz was there.

Hawthorn can go and get.....can't wait to see the psychological damage this will do to their list.

We had some fantastic teams in the 80s, but kept on running into those bastards.

Go Freo!!!

Edited by jumbo returns

A number of very passionate swans supporting friends of mine (who are also involved in large sponsorship deals with them) have said to me that Roos was great at getting a good team of assistants together and delegating the work, but sometimes struggled on match day. Essentially, they claim that his assistants should have taken more credit for their GF victory in 05 instead of solely Roos, and that his game plan was inflexible. People such as Horse and Lyon are part of the strength of his legacy. I'd have no problem with him assembling a similar team at the Dees and delivering GF success. I believe Roos will be more of a people manager and teacher at the Dees and might be more inclusive on match day, in terms of assistants, which is where the succession plan fits in.

Don't be too unfair to Lyon. He has taken the game of footy to a new level. Last night first half was a massacre of which we have never seem before.

where was i being unfair to Ross Lyon. The guy is a gun.

That second quarter has raised the bar by a huge amount.

All right. Let's be perfectly honest with ourselves here. Melbourne will never display pressure anything like what's going down right now over in Perth. We might as well give it up right now.

I took the opposite away. Fremantle have been perenially weak since joining the competition; they've had more than their share of years of being a complete basketcase on the field, and even when they've had decent sides, they were still prone to being flakey under pressure. Who could forget when Bailey's very ordinary 2008 Melbourne team ran over the top of them after being 50 points behind at half time?

Ross Lyon has taken them from LOLmantle to one of the toughest, most well drilled sides I've seen. With the exception of when they put the cue in the rack for the last 15 minutes of the game, they crushed the reigning premiers as if they were nothing. This shows what a difference having a first rate coach can make. They set the bar for defensive pressure very high, but I took heart from watching them play after casting my mind back to the Freo of old.

• Like 5

Those who think Hawthorn are a monty to win the premiership clearly don't watch enough of Fremantle.

In Melbourne, in a first Grand Final, with that added pressure, I don't know if Fremantle will get over Hawthorn, but the possibility is absolutely there, and on current form, there is a strong chance Fremantle will get up. And boy would I love that.

Fyfe. FML.
That is all.

How did he not make the AA team?

Again, terrible goal kicking by the winning team.

2008: Geelong lose because of poor goal kicking.
2009: St Kilda lose because of poor goal kicking.
2010: Collingwood initially drew with St Kilda because of poor goal kicking.
2012: Hawthon lose because of poor goal kicking.
2014: ?

I'm not surprised Lyon didn't seem all that happy after he game, Freo really took the foot off the accelerator in the second half, albeit after a phenomenal second quarter.

Both Hawthorn and Fremantle were inaccurate in their preliminary finals.

I have been using Freo as a benchmark for us to aspire to for over a year now. I tipped them to be the big team this year. If Roos is the coach we expect him to be then I can see no reason why we should not be to their level within three years.

Freo for most of their history have been comparable to the Balme, Daniher sides. Sure to let you down after showing promise and never serious premiership contenders. Lyon changed the culture and mindset. More than half their best 22 come from lower draft picks, trash draft and rookies. If Roos is just as capable a coach I don't really care if we miss out on the priority pick because we will not need it.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

What am amazing game, it scares me though, freo just came out with the equivalent of a new OS, we are two to three versions behind <windows XP anyone>

I think freo, if they bring that game to the G will toch the hawks, and i have to say i have no hate for freo compared to the hawks, GO FREO, scar them for life.

Fyfe across half back then switching forward i thought he was marking the ball like schwartz, Pav is up for it, sandilands was the rock of gibralter, their small guys were on fire, my o my rioli, hodge and mitchell will have some work, and for sure there're going to be reports, i tip 3 -5 minutes of fighting before the bounce.

Lyon is a rolled gold genius.

Freo will score around 80 points plus or minus. They won't be able to lock Hawthorn down for the entire 120 minutes. Hawthorn will have the momentum at some stages and have to take their scoring opportunities to win the game, if they don't they'll lose - Hawthorn 9-15 loses, Hawthorn 14-10 wins. FWIW, despite it going against trend I've tipped the Hawks to kick straight - Gunston and Bruest - and win by 3 goals.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 1

As interesting as it was to watch, largely because it was a final, I'd prefer to watch skills rather than pressure and an endless scramble.

Fyfe, Hill,Walters and Barlow not skilful enough??

Finals football is all about pressure where you have to compete at each and every contest.

But the larger ground and an extra days recovery could be useful for the Hawks.

However if they squander their opportunities in front of goal they won't be so lucky.

The value of having a good coach.

Fremantle's performance should not be lost on Melbourne supporters.

Lyon has a track record in coaching intense defensive mindset at Saints and Dockers.

What I saw in the second qtr last Saturday night and in instances throughout the season, is the hallmark of a Premiership team. They just need to replicate that for a large portion of the GF and they'll be taking home the Cup.