Matt Jones and Dean Terlich

dazzledavey36

Would like to applaud these two in coming in this year and straight away contribute to this side. To both play 22 games and 20 games is a credit to them for their hard work and dedication. In a side where its been hell all year I thought they have stood up well in difficult circumstance and continue to back themselves and contribute.

What excites me even more is they will now be able to do a full pre season and work on there Weaknesses and build up there body. I believe both will be very important players in moving forward.

Thoughts?

Special mention goes out to Dean Kent, Jimmy Toumpas, Jack Viney and even Max Gawn who all got valuable games experience this year and all showed they defiantly have potential!

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 4

I thought dean kent showed alot also. imo terlich was the most consistant jones tried hard but kent has great speed and really takes the game on as well as defending and tackling

I'd like to also give Mark Neeld some credit for the players that have been brought into the club under his watch. For every Tom Gillies or Cameron Pederson, there's a Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, Matt Jones, Dean Terlich, Dean Kent or Jesse Hogan.

It's always the done thing to take a dump on everything a sacked coach has done, but I think history will show that Mark Neeld actually did lay some pretty good foundations for the club's future.

• Like 10

I agree, Chook. Some of the recruiting looks very attractive at the moment but sitting next to them are Gillies, Pederson, Rodan etc...

Kent, M Jones, Terlich, could actually teach players like Watts and Sylvia about application.

Add Hogan and Barry and the recruiting looks passable.

I'd like to also give Mark Neeld some credit for the players that have been brought into the club under his watch. For every Tom Gillies or Cameron Pederson, there's a Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, Matt Jones, Dean Terlich, Dean Kent or Jesse Hogan.

It's always the done thing to take a dump on everything a sacked coach has done, but I think history will show that Mark Neeld actually did lay some pretty good foundations for the club's future.

Hmmm it comes down to the benefit of Clark and Dawes along with the as expected outcomes of Rodan and Byrnes (they really have been neither here nor there) against the time wasted with Gillies, Pedersen, 3 year deal to Jamar etc.

All in all Neeld was very unlucky he got practically nothing in return from Clark and Dawes but I hope they deliver for the new coach.

I don't credit the senior coach with the national draft recruiting because any good senior coach will stay right out of it and let the experts do the job. I will credit Neeld with seeing the forest from the trees and giving BP the chop and replacing him with Viney/Jason Taylor. That was a clever move.

Back on topic these two have been very good. I think both got worn down by the long season but to be 2 of our better ball winners either at half back or on the wing was impressive.

Have a feeling Roos will love working with Terlich.

Interesting, given that I think Roos was coaching the Swans when Terlich got cut from their rookie list!

• Like 2

Neeld is also the reason we lost/got rid of Moloney, Rivers and Petterd who have all been good at their new clubs this year.

Interesting, given that I think Roos was coaching the Swans when Terlich got cut from their rookie list!

When the Swans beat Melbourne earlier in the year and young Jack kicked 4 wasn't it Roos who stated that it was no good getting 25 touches as a backman if your opponent kicks 4, a comment directed at Dean Terlich. Terlich may not relish Roos as a coach just as McKernan left the Roo's to escape Pagan and then had the misfortune of Pagan moving to Carlton. Coaches rarely change their opinion of players they don't rate.

Both had good years.

No disrespect meant for Matt Jones but I don't think he will get a game once we draft/trade in better midfield depth. His disposal and decision making are borderline. However given the circumstances this year he has performed admirably.

Terlich and Kent are better chances of being long-term players for us, IMO.

• Like 2

When the Swans beat Melbourne earlier in the year and young Jack kicked 4 wasn't it Roos who stated that it was no good getting 25 touches as a backman if your opponent kicks 4, a comment directed at Dean Terlich. Terlich may not relish Roos as a coach just as McKernan left the Roo's to escape Pagan and then had the misfortune of Pagan moving to Carlton. Coaches rarely change their opinion of players they don't rate.

Christ, he was a rookie-listed player at the time, there's more of them that don'r play a senior game than that do.

Roos would've looked at Terlich's game since, especially given that it's been at the top level, and has seen obvious areas that Dean would need to iron out to keep his spot. He would've also seen a lot of the good things that I see him do too. I have no doubt Roos has the ability to turn him in to a very handy player.

Was about to make this thread about 2 weeks back but simply call it Dean Terlich. I have been extremely impressed with his work ethic and attack of the ball. He has consistently impressed me and I see him playing a key role in any future success.

Both had good years. No disrespect meant for Matt Jones but I don't think he will get a game once we draft/trade in better midfield depth. His disposal and decision making are borderline. However given the circumstances this year he has performed admirably. Terlich and Kent are better chances of being long-term players for us, IMO.

Considering he would've been the 3rd picked midfielder every game this year (behind Jones and Sylvia) that's gonna be a mighty good draft of midfielders to displace him.

When you consider that Matt Jones hadn't even played senior VFL footy until the middle of last year, his ability to adapt to the pace, training demands, and mental application at AFL level is nothing short of a great effort. Despite being 25, he's still got enormous upside I reckon. With a new coach, 2nd preseason, and better structure and help around the stoppages, he'll go up another couple of notches.

A great story is Matt Jones.

• Like 4

Considering he would've been the 3rd picked midfielder every game this year (behind Jones and Sylvia) that's gonna be a mighty good draft of midfielders to displace him.

When you consider that Matt Jones hadn't even played senior VFL footy until the middle of last year, his ability to adapt to the pace, training demands, and mental application at AFL level is nothing short of a great effort. Despite being 25, he's still got enormous upside I reckon. With a new coach, 2nd preseason, and better structure and help around the stoppages, he'll go up another couple of notches.

A great story is Matt Jones.

I would hope that in 2014 Sylvia, N.Jones, Viney, Trengove, Toumpas and possibly Aish would be picked ahead of him. That's before any trades/free-agent signings Recent form I'd include McKenzie and maybe even the forgotten man Evans on that list too.

Edited by Sylvia Saint

When the Swans beat Melbourne earlier in the year and young Jack kicked 4 wasn't it Roos who stated that it was no good getting 25 touches as a backman if your opponent kicks 4, a comment directed at Dean Terlich. Terlich may not relish Roos as a coach.

Or maybe he'll relish the opportunity to play under a coach who understands his weaknesses. Should Paul Roos get the job, Dean Terlich will have something to prove - and believe it or not, some people flourish when they have something to prove.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

I would hope that in 2014 Sylvia, N.Jones, Viney, Trengove, Toumpas and possibly Aish would be picked ahead of him. That's before any trades/free-agent signings Recent form I'd include McKenzie and maybe even the forgotten man Evans on that list too.

And yet you're giving him no scope for improvement, but are allowing that for Toumpas, Evans, McKenzie (IMO), and Aish (no AFL experience). He's gutsy, a great worker, reads the play, gets a lot of it, and was getting bugger all help in a disorganised mess of a midfield. What makes you think you've seen the best of Matt Jones?

• Like 5