Its about time to reflect on the Free Agency period

dee-luded

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-05/big-names-still-up-for-grabs

Where your club's free agents are at

When the AFL released its first list of 2013's free agents in March, there were 15 restricted and 56 unrestricted free agents.

ADELAIDE
Free agents:

Jason Porplyzia (unrestricted)
Scott Thompson (restricted)
Re-signed:
Brent Reilly (unrestricted, signed until 2015)
Nathan van Berlo (restricted, 2016)
Ben Rutten (unrestricted, 2014)
Retired:
Graham Johncock (unrestricted)

BRISBANE LIONS
Free agents:

Simon Black (unrestricted)
Jonathan Brown (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Joel Patfull (restricted, 2015)

CARLTON
Free agents:

Eddie Betts (restricted)
Heath Scotland (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Andrew Carrazzo (unrestricted, 2015)

COLLINGWOOD
Free agents:

Alan Didak (unrestricted)
Nick Maxwell (restricted)
Dale Thomas (restricted)
Re-signed:
Alan Toovey (unrestricted, 2016)
Retired:
Ben Johnson (unrestricted)

ESSENDON
Free agents:

Dustin Fletcher (unrestricted)
David Hille (unrestricted)
Nathan Lovett-Murray (unrestricted)
Jason Winderlich (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Jobe Watson (restricted, 2017)

FREMANTLE
Free agents:

None
Re-signed:
Michael Johnson (unrestricted, 2015)

GEELONG
Free agents:

Paul Chapman (unrestricted)
Joel Corey (unrestricted)
Corey Enright (unrestricted)
Josh Hunt (unrestricted)
Mathew Stokes (unrestricted)

HAWTHORN
Free agents:

Max Bailey (unrestricted)
Xavier Ellis (unrestricted)
Lance Franklin (restricted
Brent Guerra (unrestricted)
Michael Osborne (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Luke Hodge (unrestricted, 2014)
Sam Mitchell (unrestricted, 2014)

MELBOURNE
Free agents:

Aaron Davey (restricted)
Colin Sylvia (unrestricted)

NORTH MELBOURNE
Free agents:

Michael Firrito (unrestricted)
Brent Harvey (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Scott McMahon (unrestricted, 2015)
Drew Petrie (unrestricted, 2015)

PORT ADELAIDE
Free agents:

Brett Ebert (unrestricted)
Tom Logan (unrestricted)
Matt Thomas (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Alipate Carlile (restricted, 2017)
Kane Cornes (restricted, 2014)

RICHMOND
Free agents:

Luke McGuane (unrestricted)
Shane Tuck (unrestricted)
Matthew White (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Chris Newman (unrestricted, 2014)
Daniel Jackson (unrestricted, 2015)

ST KILDA
Free agents:

Jason Blake (unrestricted)
Nick Dal Santo (restricted)
Lenny Hayes (unrestricted)
Justin Koschitzke (unrestricted)
Stephen Milne (unrestricted)

SYDNEY SWANS
Free agents:

Jude Bolton (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Adam Goodes (unrestricted, 2014)
Nick Malceski (unrestricted, 2014)

WEST COAST
Free agents:
Dean Cox (unrestricted)
Andrew Embley (unrestricted)
Darren Glass (unrestricted)
Mark Nicoski (unrestricted)
Adam Selwood (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Beau Waters (unrestricted, 2015)
Mark LeCras (restricted, 2017)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Free agents:

Dylan Addison (unrestricted)
Adam Cooney (restricted)
Daniel Cross (unrestricted)
Daniel Giansiracusa (unrestricted)
Dale Morris (restricted)
Edited by dee-luded

CROSS is the only player on that list who appeals to me in all honesty. Thomas would add much needed class and gut running but will come at a heavy price, which I think you could get two B grade players for. We need depth

Edited by Pennant St Dee

I've reduced a list of players from the one above, I reckon possibilities to change our impetus initially.

ADELAIDE
Jason Porplyzia (unrestricted)
Scott Thompson (restricted)

BRISBANE LIONS

CARLTON
Heath Scotland (unrestricted)

COLLINGWOOD

ESSENDON
Nathan Lovett-Murray (unrestricted)
Jason Winderlich (unrestricted)

FREMANTLE

GEELONG
Mathew Stokes (unrestricted)

HAWTHORN
Brent Guerra (unrestricted)
Michael Osborne (unrestricted)

NORTH MELBOURNE
Michael Firrito (unrestricted)

PORT ADELAIDE
Matt Thomas (unrestricted)

RICHMOND
Luke McGuane (unrestricted)
Shane Tuck (unrestricted)
Matthew White (unrestricted)

ST KILDA
Free agents:

Nick Dal Santo (restricted)

SYDNEY SWANS
Jude Bolton (unrestricted)

WEST COAST
Andrew Embley (unrestricted)
Mark Nicoski (unrestricted)
Adam Selwood (unrestricted)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Daniel Cross (unrestricted)

.... & for starters, I'd like us to get some Selwood DNA on our list, so would work hard for firstly Adam, & also Scott.. 2 Selwoods are better than one.

The sum of all the parts might be a better way of looking at this list of free agents. Over a period of 3-4 years, 7-8 good experienced talented footballers could easily be added to our list. Adding 1-3 free agents per year could be the goal.

If we were to acquire 2-3 free agents at seasons end then those players effectively cost us nothing and would replace the last 2-3 spots on our list. There's a fair chance a number of our existing players are facing the chop so in effect we would be replacing a bunch of poor players with players who can actually play the game.

Remembering that acquiring veteran talent can happen in any given season so picking up a free agent who only plays for 2 or 3 years is no big deal.Just keep going back to the well. And we desperately need a number of good footballers with experience. If they have good leadership skills as well then all well and good. It can't be for 'Super' so if the club goes down this path, we need to choose wisely.

Dal Santo, Thomas, Cooney, Corey and Ellis would be worth considering. We'd have to pay overs but that's the price you have to pay in this sort of market. Contracts can always be front ended. Adding to this, we can get the 2 best speculative midfielders in the ND (if we were to receive that PP)

If we can assume that Roos is our coach then suddenly good players may want to come to our club.

i reckon roos might go for Buddy as a bit of a "franchise player". someone to ramp up the sponsorship, gate attendances. id rather spend the dough on mids but i wouldnt be suprised if the club has a go at him.

He is a dees supporter but i highly doubt they will have a serious crack, we have plenty of tall forwards

He is a dees supporter but i highly doubt they will have a serious crack, we have plenty of tall forwards

Who's a Dees supporter? Buddy?

Yet ;) hahaha

Hahaha I would love us to go after Buddy

Yeah I know we have tall forwards but with Clark perenially injured Hogan in his first season Dawes injured too and Buddy's ability to play through the midfield I reckon it would not be a bad option. Not to mention new members gate receipts Jersey sales and A BIT OF GOOD HYPE :) Buckley's to nil chance of it happening but it's a sunny sunday and nice to dream

Pendlebury we have even less chance than Buddy

Hahaha I would love us to go after Buddy

Yeah I know we have tall forwards but with Clark perenially injured Hogan in his first season Dawes injured too and Buddy's ability to play through the midfield I reckon it would not be a bad option. Not to mention new members gate receipts Jersey sales and A BIT OF GOOD HYPE :) Buckley's to nil chance of it happening but it's a sunny sunday and nice to dream

Pendlebury we have even less chance than Buddy

Pendels we have absolutely no chance of getting,

Buddy probably the same but hell, he is a free agent, would get bums on seats so we might as well make a phone call.

For a David Rodan leadership/experience role:

Joel Corey, Daniel Cross

As legitimate good midfielders to strengthen our midfield:
Daisy Thomas, Scott Thompson

As a bargain buy guy who isn't good enough for a top 8 side but might be good enough to start for us:
Matt Thomas, possibly Xavier Ellis if the medical report says he's a chance to ever string games together

The rest I wouldn't worry about. I'd then look for out of contract younger players who we can potentially get for a 3rd or 4th round pick or maybe a second round pick for Taylor Adams. This is where you find the Ivan Maric, Bachar Houli, Josh Kennedy steals if you are lucky.

Edited by the master

Joel Corey, Daniel Cross

As a bargain buy guy who isn't good enough for a top 8 side but might be good enough to start for us:

Matt Thomas, possibly Xavier Ellis if the medical report says he's a chance to ever string games together

The rest I wouldn't worry about. I'd then look for out of contract younger players who we can potentially get for a 3rd or 4th round pick or maybe a second round pick for Taylor Adams. This is where you find the Ivan Maric, Bachar Houli, Josh Kennedy steals if you are lucky.

I'd be surprised if we were able to get Adams for a second round pick, i think the level of interest from other clubs would push his value up a little bit, but i agree with the concept

blokes like, Levi Greenwood, Anthony Miles and so on that can't quite crack a consistant senior game at other clubs are worth considering.

• Like 1

Joel Corey, Daniel Cross

Scott Thompson wont come back

• 2 weeks later...

This is just saying if we get pick 1 as a PP if we get one

Pick 1 and Luke Tapscott for Michael Barlow and Matt de Boer or Lachie Neale

Pick 1 and 2nd round pick for Nick Dal Santo, David Armitage and

Pick 1 and a 2nd round pick for Liam Picken and Tom Liberatore

Pick 1 for Viv Michie, Tendai Mzungu and Matt de Boer

Pick 1 for Andrew Gaff and Matt Rosa

Pick 1 and Pick 3 for Daniel Hannaberry

Pick 3 and Luke Tapscott for Ryan Bastinac and Sam Gibson

Pick 3 and Luke Tapscott for Heath Shaw and Dale Thomas

Pick 1, Jake Spencer, Pick 3 and 2nd round pick for Tom Rockcliff, Patrick Karnezis, Jared Polec and Sam Docherty

Pick 3 for David Swallow

Pick 1 and Pick 3 for David Swallow and Dion Prestia

Pick 1, Jake Spencer and Pick 3 for David Swallow, Dion Prestia and Brandon Matera

Jake Spencer, 2nd round pick and pick 19 for Taylor Adams

Pick 1 and Jake Spencer for Taylor Adams and Devon Smith

Pick 1 for Bryce Gibbs, Mitch Robinson and Chris Yarran

Pick 3 for Mitch Robinson and Chris Yarran

Pick 1 and Pick 3, Jake Spencer for Steele Sidebottom, Heath Shaw and Dale Thomas

Pick 3 and Jake Spencer for Bernie Vince, David McKay and Richard Douglas

Pick 3 for David McKay and Richard Douglas

Pick 1 and Jake Spencer for Dustin Martin

Pick 1 and Luke Tapscott for Ben Howlett, David Zaharakis and Jake Melksham

Pick 1 for Dyson Heppell

Pick 3 for Shane Savage, Isaac Smith and Liam Shiels

Pick 3 and a 2nd round pick for Shane Savage, Isaac Smith, Liam Shiels and Brendan Whitecross

Pick 1 and Luke Tapscott for Hamish Hartlett, Cameron Hitchcock and Matthew Broadbent

Melbourne picks up Daniel Cross, Maverick Weller, put Kyal Horsley on our rookie list, put Nick Lower on our rookie list, put Patrick Vezpremi on our rookie list, pick up whoever gets scrapped out of Corey Enright, Paul Chapman, or Joel Corey, put Liam Patrick on our rookie list, if Steve Clifton is up to it try and get him in the rookie draft, put Darren Jolly on our senior list, maybe if Alik Magin goes in the rookie draft pick him up, pick up a few late picks in the draft.

What trades I think will happen

Pick 3 for David Swallow

Pick 1 for Matt Rosa and Andrew Gaff

Jake Spencer, 2nd round pick and pick 19 for Taylor Adams

How I think the team next year in round 1 will look (most likely going to be a Sunday).

Back: Lynden Dunn, James Frawley, Tom McDonald

Halfbacks: Dean Terlich, Colin Garland, Jack Grimes

Midfield: David Swallow, Jack Trengove, Matt Rosa

Half forwards: Jeremy Howe, Mitch Clark, Jack Watts

Forwards: Jack Fitzpatrick, Jesse Hogan, Colin Sylvia

Followers: Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney

I/C: Chris Dawes, Matt Jones, Max Gawn, Andrew Gaff, Dean Kent, Taylor Adams

Sub: Jimmy Toumpas

Emergencies: Rory Taggert, Daniel Cross, Dean Kent.

Develop Daniel Nicholson, Sam Blease to run out a full game, Rory Taggert (almost ready to play at elite level, potential is there), Maverick Weller, get Roos to bring out the full potential of Vezpremi, Alik Magin, Steve Clifton (almost ready to play with Melbourne), play around with Liam Patrick a bit see how he settles, bring out the potential of Cam Pedersen, turn Jordie McKenzie into a Ryan Crowley, Dean Kent can be turned into a running wingman/half forward and give Luke Tapscott a bit more time to grow under Roos expanding his play so he can go to forward, back and on a wing, he could be a good utility.

I don’t think we will get Paul Chapman, Joel Corey or Corey Enright, but if we do find a place for any of them in the final side.

Deeman, I see that your team next year has seven interchanges. What do you know that we don't?