Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

It never ceases to amaze how publicity people attack problems from the opposite direction.

When the state government wanted to introduce smart meters they boasted that the meters would enable consumers to tailor their consumption so as to reduce their bills. The reality is the opposite. The meters were not introduced to enable customers to reduce their bills, they were introduced to enable power companies to increase their bills.

If you want something, say the opposite.

It is no surprise that the AFL, governments and business all dip into the same pool of publicity spinners, flacks and hacks.

• Like 1

Vlad called Evans AFTER he was briefed by the ACC........that why he rang him and only him. Where he slipped up was he should have camouflaged his intent by calling ALL clubs with a heads up. He didnt

Just checked and your kind of right.

Demetriou was briefed by the ACC but they confirmed they did not tell him who the clubs were. He would have had to have been blind Freddie not to have known however. I think that he obvioulsy tipped them off and given the circumstances may well have said or at least hinted things that he shouldn't have. I belive the the ACC or AFP have had a quick look and decided no action is needed against AD so I dont think this issue is a big one or evidence of the process being flawed. I am just not sure what the point is other than to paint Vlad and therefor the AFL as a pack of numpty's.

There is no doubt the current AFL hands off approach is a result of some of this stuff. In a sense the Bombers have bit the hand that feeds them or at least was trying to shield them.

• Like 1

Just checked and your kind of right.

Demetriou was briefed by the ACC but they confirmed they did not tell him who the clubs were. He would have had to have been blind Freddie not to have known however. I think that he obvioulsy tipped them off and given the circumstances may well have said or at least hinted things that he shouldn't have. I belive the the ACC or AFP have had a quick look and decided no action is needed against AD so I dont think this issue is a big one or evidence of the process being flawed. I am just not sure what the point is other than to paint Vlad and therefor the AFL as a pack of numpty's.

There is no doubt the current AFL hands off approach is a result of some of this stuff. In a sense the Bombers have bit the hand that feeds them or at least was trying to shield them.

point really is to put a context on the AFL's involvement and especially that of certain people.

What I also find interesting is Hird was there that night of the phone call. He must surely know that ASADA was now onto him.

From what I can gather it was from this moment on that all those records just went to woop woop.

Again Hird wants to pain himself as the victim in this when its been actions of himself and his fellow cronies that have put all this into action.

• Like 1

Is that really necessary?

Bummers.

After everything written in this thread about those cheating bastards at Essendon and their absolute failure in duty of care to their players and you pick up on Bummers.

They deserve to be called far worse than Bummers from Bummerland.

Essendon are drug cheats.

Essendon are lying bastards.

Essendon are incompetent.

Essendon are the lowest scum in the AFL. and they are ruining our game.

I hope they are wiped from the AFL and never heard of again.

And you think calling them bummers isn't necessary.

• Like 3

Bummers.

After everything written in this thread about those cheating bastards at Essendon and their absolute failure in duty of care to their players and you pick up on Bummers.

Feel better now?

It never ceases to amaze how publicity people attack problems from the opposite direction.

When the state government wanted to introduce smart meters they boasted that the meters would enable consumers to tailor their consumption so as to reduce their bills. The reality is the opposite. The meters were not introduced to enable customers to reduce their bills, they were introduced to enable power companies to increase their bills.

If you want something, say the opposite.

It is no surprise that the AFL, governments and business all dip into the same pool of publicity spinners, flacks and hacks.

not called SPIN for nuttin ' :)

Bummers.

No I don't think it's necessary to call them [censored], particularly using that type of term.

Have you stopped to think about the actual word? If you haven't, or don't know what it means, try this link:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bummer&defid=2465239

Essendon are drug cheats - then call them drug cheats, a Hird of drugs, Essendrug etc

Essendon are lying bastards - then call them lying bastards

Essendon are incompetent - then call them incompetent

Essendon are the lowest scum in the AFL. and they are ruining our game - then call them scum

I think calling them bummers is a pun in poor taste, and whilst given the context of it isn't homophobic, it's still offensive.

It's a cheap joke using a derogatory term.

Edited by PJ_12345

No I don't think it's necessary to call them [censored], particularly using that type of term.

Have you stopped to think about the actual word? If you haven't, or don't know what it means, try this link:

Essendon are drug cheats - then call them drug cheats, a Hird of drugs, Essendrug etc

Essendon are the lowest scum in the AFL. and they are ruining our game - then call them scum

I think calling them bummers is a pun in poor taste, and whilst given the context of it isn't homophobic, it's still offensive.

Oxford dictionary:-

bummer
ˈbʌmə/
noun
informal
plural noun: bummers
  1. 1.
    a disappointing or unpleasant situation or experience.
    "the team's relegation is a real bummer"
  2. 2.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    a loafer or vagrant.
    "baby doesn't have to be a travel bummer"
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Bummers was a nickname applied to foragers of Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman's Union army during its March to the Sea and north through North Carolina and South Carolina during theAmerican Civil War. The designation "bummers" was used, both by soldiers and civilians, to describe Sherman's soldiers, official and unofficial, who requisitioned food from Southern homes along the route of the Army's march. Often highly destructive in nature, bummers became notorious among Southerners for looting and vandalism, and they did much to shatter the illusion that the Confederate Army was successfully defending its territory on all fronts. The bummers' activities in Georgia and the Carolinas helped ensure that the South would be unable to sustain its war effort; additionally, bummers' destruction of industrial property rendered the garrisoning of southern cities largely unnecessary by destroying most, if not all, of those facilities in their path that replenished the Confederate war effort (such as cotton gins, farms, foundries, lumber mills, etc.).[1][2]
    Sorry what was your point? Perhaps it is you that doesn't know what was meant!
Edited by ManDee
  • Like 3

Odd. Someone think an innocuous word offensive.

I would have though the systemic bastardisation to the health of players to be offensive.

Each their own I suppose

• Like 2

Odd. Someone think an innocuous word offensive.

I would have though the systemic bastardisation to the health of players to be offensive.

Each their own I suppose

Mind you, you and I have come to blows over words in the past. What a bummer.

• Like 1

When i was a kid{never thought id say that} a bummer was a person who didnt buy cigarettes,but instead bummed them off other people.

• Like 2

PJ I finally decided to go to your reference, In all seriousness the homosexual angle had not occurred to me, nor do I think it relevant.

Note your reference first meaning is:-

Urban Dictionary

1. A word describing the misfortune of something or someone.

2. A situation in which no desireable result can occur

3. A negative form of agreement.

4. A response used when the respondee couldn't care less about the topic at hand.

1. Friend 1: My wife left me last night

Friend 2: Bummer for you.

2. Man 1: We're surrounded by venomous snakes!

Man 2: Wow, this is quite the bummer.

3. Girl: Do you find me attractive?

Guy: Bummer

4. Friend 1: It appears that tomorrow is my last day to live.

Friend 2: Bummer

Urban dictionary's second meaning refers to "Old fashioned UK slang term for a homosexual man."

This is not how i would use the term bummer.

I can't stand Essendon.....I almost barrack for Collingwood against them.....BUT......I'd hate to see them kicked out of the AFL.

I just want them to come bottom 4 for a few years, to see how many if their supporters show the loyalty we have.(ditto with the soiled-nappy coloured team)

100% agree. Imagine, however, Hird standing on the dais on GF day accepting the premiership cup sometime in the next few years. That simply can't be allowed to happen.

100% agree. Imagine, however, Hird standing on the dais on GF day accepting the premiership cup sometime in the next few years. That simply can't be allowed to happen.

I want to see Hird standing on a dais one more time.

"James Albert Hird we find you guilty, and sentence you to..........insert harsh penalty here................and ban you from attending AFL games, clubs or functions for the term of your unnatural life"

• Like 2

When i was a kid{never thought id say that} a bummer was a person who didnt buy cigarettes,but instead bummed them off other people.

During the Depression jazza?

• Like 2

That they sent samples is actually good. Obviously didnt find possibly what they were looking for but who knows what they were actually suspecting .

Makes for the curiosity of Vlads imposing of himself in all this. He denied any previous knowledge yet the AFL instigated this.. He denies giving the Bombers a 'heads up' yet they were the only club he contacted post brief from ACC.

Tis all far from over !!

Have a look at Dimwits comments - "I didn't inform them becuase I wasn't told by ASADA/ACC" - most likely absolutely true.

He would however be stupid not to have known there were questions about the bombers and put two and two together when the Attorney general rings up and says " get to Canberra tomrrow because there is a ground breaking announcement."

A big difference to the story the bummers are trying to portray. Its a red herring.

• Like 1

See the bummers fly up, up to the Federal Court Gig

See the bummers fly

See the bummers fly

See the bummers fly up.

No, bummers is not a homosexual reference.

No, fly is not slang for zip fastener

No, See is not the third letter in the alphabet.

Yes the Federal Court is the Federal Court.

• Like 1

So here's how it goes

Hird employs dank

Dank orders heaps of drugs inc Tb4 from charter

Charter goes to china gets raw ingredients

Takes them to alavi (chemist)

Alavi doesn't label vials or test them once he's made them but gives them to dank

Dank gives them to nurses at clinic across the road where they are injected into essendon players

But it's the afl and asada who are at fault

Beautifully summarised - why do ASADA persecute poor innocent Jimmy?

• Like 1

it was all a misunderstanding over what "the good stuff" meant

poor old james, the good doc and the rest of the club were duped by scurrilous "outsiders" (= not "true" essendon folk)

oh and of course by AD and his cohort of dysfunctional cadres with their own agendas

the supplements cost so much money there was none left over for record keeping

all makes sense

• Like 3

In '1984' (ironically an Essendon premiership year) George Orwell defined "doublethink" to mean, "to tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed..."

I think there's a lot of doublethink going on here...I'm just not sure who is doing the most doublethinking. Is it the EFC, the AFL, ASADA, Dank, Alavi, various assorted sports reporters or all of the above?

• Like 1