Peter Jackson - On The Couch Monday 29th July, 2013

Demon3

Why is everyone putting so much faith in this bloke??

I suppose we're all damaged and cling onto any hope of a perceived saviour.

Sacks a few people. Big deal.

Where's his vision?

You are one strange cat, jumbo. I'm assuming you didn't watch the interview. "Big deal" lol

His ultimate vision is to make the MFC great again. He mentioned this several times. To do this, the football club needs to make football its main focus. To put reopurces into player development for the next two years, both on and off the field and go about establishing a strong, lasting footballing culture in the guise of Sydney and Geelong. He acknowledges that the only thing to sell right now is hope, and there needs to be more to sell than that. He has identified a near enough is good enough mentality, and a total lack of understanding what it takes to be a ruthless, professional sporting organisation, and this has permeated through the club. He's here to correct it by setting up an organisational structure filled with the best people he can find with his knowledge of the industry.

Big deal.

• Like 5

He was pretty harsh and acknowledged it.

Whilst refreshing, Neeld was pretty harsh too I just hope he doesn't put too many people off side by rubbishing everything the club has done.

If they do get put off they can take their footy's and go home, we don't need anyone with the "he's not a true Demon" attitude. Like he said we need good people not good Melbourne people. We are always going to have Demons like Todd but not everyone needs to be a Demon from birth. I am very happy that Jackson is in charge of the club at the minute.

I was going to reply in the same tone and rudeness, but I'll save it for someone more worthy.

its attitudes like yours that gets us nowhere.

• Like 1

DL, with all due respect, we all know that culture is the issue, but as you said, let's have a tangible solution.

Is culture the reason Scully walked? Is it more embedded than we have ever realised?

the culture has been OFF since the sixties when politically correct ones took the reigns & held sway over the club... the 'checker heritage' was blown away,,, & the club returned to the cricket mentality of the MCC. gentile

it was Checker that hardened the club up, changed the name & culture & made a Footy Club out of the fuscias, & Smith learned from him. Smithy carried it over,,, & then Barrassi carried the mantle, all the way to Princes Park.

we didn't get it back til Barassi returned, but it was difficult to instill in a young modern group of players with big ego's about themselves. he did it, but it took all his efforts & time was up...

the job was passed onto a fella who let it bloom.

... that culture slowly ebbed away @ the eroding nature that is the MCG... hard work loses out to over inflated self opinions born of the home of Australian sport.

Edited by dee-luded

The club has done me and all supporters a disservice DL for way to long. The above mentioned duo are top of the pile.

WYL its the attitudes of all of us at the 'G' that distracts the club & players to get ahead of themselves & get Lazy... its been happening since I can remember from the late 70's...

.... this is the same arrogance that some home owners use against some battling tenants, looking down on them with disdain & distrust... this is the sort of arrogance that Eeks away at our players hunger & blunts them. this is part of the arrogant culture that stops us developing our young kids. everyone gets ahead of themselves.

this is why I want the club to setup that training ground & facilities away from the 'G'... to level everyone's heads. the same thing with our clubs boards... same thing failures for the same reasons...

Edited by dee-luded

WYL its the attitudes of all of us at the 'G' that distracts the club & players to get ahead of themselves & get Lazy... its been happening since I can remember from the late 70's...

.... this is the same arrogance that some home owners use against some battling tenants, looking down on them with disdain & distrust... this is the sort of arrogance that Eeks away at our players hunger & blunts them. this is part of the arrogant culture that stops us developing our young kids. everyone gets ahead of themselves.

this is why I want the club to setup that training ground & facilities away from the 'G'... to level everyone's heads. the same thing with our clubs boards... same thing failures for the same reasons...

Please don't mention the social club again DL

You are one strange cat, jumbo. I'm assuming you didn't watch the interview. "Big deal" lol

His ultimate vision is to make the MFC great again. He mentioned this several times. To do this, the football club needs to make football its main focus. To put reopurces into player development for the next two years, both on and off the field and go about establishing a strong, lasting footballing culture in the guise of Sydney and Geelong. He acknowledges that the only thing to sell right now is hope, and there needs to be more to sell than that. He has identified a near enough is good enough mentality, and a total lack of understanding what it takes to be a ruthless, professional sporting organisation, and this has permeated through the club. He's here to correct it by setting up an organisational structure filled with the best people he can find with his knowledge of the industry.

Big deal.

Hey P_Man. Hope you're well.

What he subscribes to is obvious. Do you really think that others haven't tried? I'm just less seduced by this bloke as many others on this forum.

Btw, we tried ruthless? Remember? Some precious ones on our list threatened to walk because it got too hot.

Never mind.

Please don't mention the social club again DL

I didn't WYL...

but we need to get away from the 'G',,, except for playing our home games there.

we cannot be a real footy club whilst the 'G' has such a magnetic pull on all our Ego's. its like a Super Moon. everyone goes a little bit silly over it. but its not once a year, its every week.

we need to let our tides go out a bit, & let our hair down & relax & laugh a bit around the training track...

Hey P_Man. Hope you're well.

What he subscribes to is obvious. Do you really think that others haven't tried? I'm just less seduced by this bloke as many others on this forum.

Btw, we tried ruthless? Remember? Some precious ones on our list threatened to walk because it got too hot.

Never mind.

No offence jumbo, but you strike me as someone who seems to enjoy wallowing in misery.

You've already labelled Craig a disaster and you're naysaying PJ before he's had a chance to warm the seat, What exactly do you want the bloke to say at this stage? Have you even heard him speak? Negativity is going to get us NOWHERE mate.

Incidentally, he's not the coach, he's the CEO. The bow you're drawing is a very long one.

• Like 2

It's also worth noting that the fundamental things you would expect of a football club, Melbourne has not done. PJ has said so himself, and he has a wealth of experience inside professional football clubs to draw upon.

So whilst you think it may all sound simple, the club has failed the simplest of tests up until this point. Finally we have an ultimate professional to guide us out of this MESS and you're already poo pooing him. I find your general attitude extraordinary.

I didn't WYL...

but we need to get away from the 'G',,, except for playing our home games there.

we cannot be a real footy club whilst the 'G' has such a magnetic pull on all our Ego's. its like a Super Moon. everyone goes a little bit silly over it. but its not once a year, its every week.

we need to let our tides go out a bit, & let our hair down & relax & laugh a bit around the training track...

No.

WE need to make the MCG our fortress of pain.

We need to embrace its energy.

Too many other clubs have diluted our energy. They want us to leave.

It's also worth noting that the fundamental things you would expect of a football club, Melbourne has not done. PJ has said so himself, and he has a wealth of experience inside professional football clubs to draw upon.

So whilst you think it may all sound simple, the club has failed the simplest of tests up until this point. Finally we have an ultimate professional to guide us out of this MESS and you're already poo pooing him. I find your general attitude extraordinary.

I just don't blindly aspire him to be the messiah.

I will respectfully wait and observe to see what happens - has to be more than just sackings.

• Like 1

I will respectfully wait and observe to see what happens - has to be more than just sackings.

Pointing out positive attributes does not equate to designating him as a messiah. It's called showing support for the man in charge of resurrecting your club.

No.

WE need to make the MCG our fortress of pain.

We need to embrace its energy.

Too many other clubs have diluted our energy. They want us to leave.

we're not going to leave WYL,,, but we need our home base where we live, breath, & laugh freely, train & mix.... meetup with our friends & partake in our red-N-blue passion...

this Does Not mean leaving the 'G'..... but it does mean the 'G' is suffocating our growth.

The appointments are what's important now.

I like the way he is approaching the job but the next few months will tell the story.

we're not going to leave WYL,,, but we need our home base where we live, breath, & laugh freely, train & mix.... meetup with our friends & partake in our red-N-blue passion...

this Does Not mean leaving the 'G'..... but it does mean the 'G' is suffocating our growth.

DL you and i having a beer and a tosted Ham Cheese & Tomato sanger away from the MCG are not going to change the fortunes of the club!!

When Checker & Smithy coached this Beast The MFC trained on the 'G 2-3 times a week.

They got stronger not suffocated.

Have you ever walked on the 'G midweek when she is empty???

Edited by why you little

First time poster. Love the [censored] off look on Healy's face when he read between the lines that his good mate CC is GONE!

Might have been a dig at Sugar's contribution as well.

That's fair enough. He has a clean slate and I hope it works. More of the same'wasn't getting us too far.

the culture has been OFF since the sixties when politically correct ones took the reigns & held sway over the club... the 'checker heritage' was blown away,,, & the club returned to the cricket mentality of the MCC. gentile

it was Checker that hardened the club up, changed the name & culture & made a Footy Club out of the fuscias, & Smith learned from him. Smithy carried it over,,, & then Barrassi carried the mantle, all the way to Princes Park.

we didn't get it back til Barassi returned, but it was difficult to instill in a young modern group of players with big ego's about themselves. he did it, but it took all his efforts & time was up...

the job was passed onto a fella who let it bloom.

... that culture slowly ebbed away @ the eroding nature that is the MCG... hard work loses out to over inflated self opinions born of the home of Australian sport.

I'll re-enforce those 1st 2 lines of your post. Frank 'Checker' Hughes was an outsider. (Richmond FC.) Yes, it took an outsider to take the club by the scruff of the neck, and make some dramatic changes. Norm Smith, learnt his trade from Checker, then added his own personality and knowledge to build on what was in place. We know the rest.

The rot / cancer started the moment the board, falied to support Smith on an outspoken comment he made. The high and almightly board members forgot what got them there in the 1st place they wouldnt have known that this one descision was going to have a profound and lasting lecacy. To keep a strong culture and a strong team, they must stick together no matter what. They failed. Apart from a few glimmers of success and hope, we have not had a strong board, some have tried hard, but failed to bring the club and its supporters the success they crave.

Why do Sydney and Geelong have strong cultures? They are somewhat outcasts, Geelong (copped handbagers and living in 'sleep hollow') for as long as I can remember. Who is laughing now. A tightnit community that stick together, but they also got lucky and have a few outstanding board members directing the ship. The Swans, helped by the AFL, and had Barassi, Hafey and smart business people guiding the club. They had their backs to the wall and came out the other side as one club to to use as a role model. It wasnt easy for them, but they got there, we need to do the same, stick tight,and select the best available on the board. PJ is putting the building blocks in place.

We are somewhat like the Swans, we are starting from a long way back, like Checker, we have an outsider making changes that need to be made. he wont get it 100% correct , but the people selected for the board, should be able to fix any oversights missed and retify them.

This club wont die, we wont let it , the AFL wont let it, supporters of AFl footy wont let it. The best part, a lot of people (outsiders) will help where they can. It wont be fixed today or tomorrow, but it will be fixed. We need to hold our nerve and support the club. Its easy when its successful, the real test comes when its on its knees, right now we are on our knees. I will remain faithful and hopeful we are slowly bringing together the right personal to end the misery.

The football team learn from the board, (hard and uncompromising) in turn the team makes the board the finances to keep it solvent. Until they hang a sign on the door to our footy club that says "CLOSED' I'm a demon.

Edited by DeeVoted
  • Like 2

Honestly this all means the light at the tunnel is far away. I'd like to make a special mention to all the people that have been running the club and taking my membership coin for the last six years or so. you told us you were right but you weren't...

So I'm definitely in the camp that is impressed with PJ. The important thing for me is that he doesn't bullish!t and he's under no illusions as to how difficult this job is, and he isn't try to fill us with delusions that its a quick fix.

I'm also happy with all his thoughts regarding the coaching situation, and the fact that he's been around long enough to make meaningful connections within the industry. He also doesn't take a backward step against reporters.

• Like 1

What i liked about the interview

PJ spoke well and told it like he thought it was , how he discovered it was and how it should be

Sheahan asked a question that he already knew the answer too

Healy asked a question that he wishes he hadn't as he sure didn't like the answer

Body Language of Roos when PJ spoke was interesting

IMO Roos is still in the mix

What i didn't like about the interview

Far too short

• Like 3