Collingwood v Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

He's 195 cm, so I suppose it depends on whether you think that's tall. With Patton, Boyd, Daniher, and Hawkins all taller you really can't be much shorter than 195 cm these days as a key forward, unless you're quick and agile in the Jeremy Cameron mould. And he's 196. Hogan is quick, agile and strong, so I reckon he's the perfect size. Daniher will grow into his body and become elite, but at the moment he's a fair way off AFL level. Here's a link to photos that was posted elsewhere. https://picasaweb.google.com/dave.savell/VFLCollingwoodVsCasey20130727?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Don't agree about the height. It seems to me that physical strength, positioning and leap are much more important than a couple of centimeters. Look at Roughy (193), Pavlich (192), Walker (191), Reiwoldt (193).

Saying that Hogan probably has a centimeter or two left in him anyway.

Contradiction: I want to see Casey do very well but wouldn't mind if Hogan was put in mothballs until next year. Perhaps I'm being overly precious of our savior.

MFC has advised Casey that Hogan will be available to them during the Finals. he deserves to play Finals because he may not get the chance later when he plays for the demons next year!

Don't agree about the height. It seems to me that physical strength, positioning and leap are much more important than a couple of centimeters. Look at Roughy (193), Pavlich (192), Walker (191), Reiwoldt (193).

Saying that Hogan probably has a centimeter or two left in him anyway.

Yeah, I agree.

I've always held the mantra, "if you're good enough you're good enough".

I'm just making the point that the height of key forwards just keeps growing and growing.

Yeah, I agree.

I've always held the mantra, "if you're good enough you're good enough".

I'm just making the point that the height of key forwards just keeps growing and growing.

AFL players just keep growing and growing (as does the general populace)!!

Have a look at the height comparison between players of today and yesteryear down at the gallery of sport at the G.

80 years ago the average height was 173 cm, today it's 187!

Hogan may have to play the high half forward towards wing role where the team plays through him.

Umm no.

He will be our power forward. Our number 1 target inside forward 50. Our colossus.

He is a Jonathan Bronw-Tony Lockett hybrid.

Umm no.

He will be our power forward. Our number 1 target inside forward 50. Our colossus.

He is a Jonathan Bronw-Tony Lockett hybrid.

A bit more mobile than plugger I would think and he does like to get up the ground and not restrict himself inside the 50 metre arc.

Huge win for Casey Development League team to make it 2 in a row against the Zebras.

2013 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 4.6.30 4.6.30 13.9.87 18.12.120

Sandringham 0.1.1 1.4.10 1.5.11 4.6.30

Goals

Casey Scorpions Smith 4 Fowler Troutman 2 Clay Dearaugo

Sandringham Howes 2 Maley Pridgeon

Best

Casey Scorpions Waters Nicholson Smith Clay P Rosier Hill

Sandringham Banfield Valles Coates McKay Minahan Maitland

A good win which strengthens the team's finals prospects but the Zebs were apparently light on for numbers.

I still don't get why, when we knew Terlich was not going to play, we didn't name Strauss as his replacement. Like for like in terms of positions.

We had no drive out of the backline yesterday. Watching Pedersen and McDonald trying to clear the ball was about as much fun as poking your eyes out with a hot stick.

Went and watched the game, great to see players play with passion and for each other. not like some of the MFC senior players. Hope they can go deep into the finals.

Thought Barry was good early on used his place well but at time tries to do too much.

Best game I have seen Tynan play for a while and good to see him playing up the ground on the wing not stuck in the back line.

Hogan was Hogan... Just hope someone can get him kicking better over the summer months , but the way we develop our younger players he may not improve.

Thought Taggert was a bit quiet early on but when moved onto the ball he improved heaps. Used the ball well and gave a option. His steal in the collingwood back line in the last quarter was great and to follow up with a goal would be great for his confidence.

Davis ... Another we seem to stuff up was playing great football a few weeks ago in the back line only to go forward and when Hogan is your main option he will struggle. Against the wind was used in the back line . For his sake wish they would leave him in the back line has great closing speed and is rarely beaten when its one on one.

Went and watched the game, great to see players play with passion and for each other. not like some of the MFC senior players. Hope they can go deep into the finals.

Thought Barry was good early on used his place well but at time tries to do too much.

Best game I have seen Tynan play for a while and good to see him playing up the ground on the wing not stuck in the back line.

Hogan was Hogan... Just hope someone can get him kicking better over the summer months , but the way we develop our younger players he may not improve.

Thought Taggert was a bit quiet early on but when moved onto the ball he improved heaps. Used the ball well and gave a option. His steal in the collingwood back line in the last quarter was great and to follow up with a goal would be great for his confidence.

Davis ... Another we seem to stuff up was playing great football a few weeks ago in the back line only to go forward and when Hogan is your main option he will struggle. Against the wind was used in the back line . For his sake wish they would leave him in the back line has great closing speed and is rarely beaten when its one on one.

That's why he should be playing there. We need midfielders and this kid is a midfielder with a good kick and pair of hands.

Hogan and Taggert looking sensational in the VFL replay, cannot believe he's playing for us next year. Genuinely looks like we finally have a star on our hands.

Also, go big Jake Spencer with the long bomb for goal, this guy's improving out of sight.

Hogans stats are better than some of our mid fielders, maybe worth running Hogan in our midfield, works for buddy at times. and pick up another mid or two with our draft picks and free agency, Hogan in the centre, dawes at CHF and Clark at FF, that would be nice to see.

Care to elaborate? Do you mean the credit should not be his or that their recruitment does not yet deserve any plaudits?

I think Todd Viney would deserve more plaudits for the drafting/trade period but no doubt Neeld had at least some input. Maybe Harrington as well though I'm not too sure.

Care to elaborate? Do you mean the credit should not be his or that their recruitment does not yet deserve any plaudits?

They were both NO BRAINERS.

Plenty were stating that we must get them well before we did, especially Hogan, so I'm hardly going to congratulate Neeld, or anyone else for doing what was bleeding obvious.

Hogan and Viney essentially picked themselves...The 'brains trust" simply had to accommodate the selections

Neeld, Harrington etc can lay claim to much of the rest of the drafting.. But in hindsight would they really want to ?? :unsure:

Hogan and Viney essentially picked themselves...The 'brains trust" simply had to accommodate the selections

Neeld, Harrington etc can lay claim to much of the rest of the drafting.. But in hindsight would they really want to ?? :unsure:

Terlich and Matt Jones are the best late picks we've had in a while, let's at least give them credit where it's due.

Kent looking okay too.

Terlich and Jones are playing ok, in the main, but ebbing and flowing also.. Kent. probably the same really. All capable of workmanlike decent footy at times whilst none really climbing up on the next level. We'll know more come this time next year.

Not a lot of success to hang a hat on really is it.

Terlich and Jones are playing ok, in the main, but ebbing and flowing also.. Kent. probably the same really. All capable of workmanlike decent footy at times whilst none really climbing up on the next level. We'll know more come this time next year.

Not a lot of success to hang a hat on really is it.

It's a hell of a lot better than what even our top 10 picks have been like in their first seasons, in recent years. Good that we have picked up players that are making an impact instantly.

It's a hell of a lot better than what even our top 10 picks have been like in their first seasons, in recent years. Good that we have picked up players that are making an impact instantly.

My point is/was they are very much the few of such instances and even then theyre really only in the Ok basket If they start really tearing it up after another preseason and more gametime then I might get giddy.

A couple of rough gems from the slurry. A couple of genuine good'uns from the shop window....and a lot of dross.

Weve got a bloody handy magoos team though hey

Neeld may have been a coaching disaster, but he gets a big tick for getting us Jesse Hogan and Jack Viney.

Yep. That absolutely pathetic year from the team in 2012 meant we got picks 3 & 4 in ND; thus we got Hogan (pick 3 to GWS) and Viney in the second round.

Great effort by Neeld. FFS