The Greater Western Shambles

bush demon

They reckon the early settlers had some trouble settling in. It was Sydney, after all. Now that TV rights money is flaming the night skies east of the Blue Mountains, we can see what a debacle GWS is, and has become. Their only victory was in securing a dud number one draft pick, noone else wants to go there. Pretty soon this will be the AFL's Dunkirk:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/opinion/brace-for-20-years-of-gws-misery/story-e6frg7uo-1226680393058

My heart bleeds.

Suck it Sheeds.

• Like 5

They reckon the early settlers had some trouble settling in. It was Sydney, after all. Now that TV rights money is flaming the night skies east of the Blue Mountains, we can see what a debacle GWS is, and has become. Their only victory was in securing a dud number one draft pick, noone else wants to go there. Pretty soon this will be the AFL's Dunkirk:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/opinion/brace-for-20-years-of-gws-misery/story-e6frg7uo-1226680393058

and don't forget their victory in securing Izzy too

• Like 4

You can research my posts if you desperately desire but you needn't worry, I'll put it straight from the start that I have said this (possibly many times) before.

That has got to be the worst piece of writing I've seen in a "respected" paper. How journalists get away with writing trash like that is so far beyond me I couldn't reach it if I lay Max Gawn out flat in front of me.

Compare it, say, to this article. I shudder to think what Tanya Aldred would do after reading the article linked above.

That said, it's pretty true.

• Like 3

Gee, just didnt see any of this coming. Just flummoxed

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lets get our house in order before we laugh at others.

nuppp.makes for a wonderful distraction.

We're a train derailed. GWS are a train to nowhere.

nuppp.makes for a wonderful distraction.

We're a train derailed. GWS are a train to nowhere.

10 years time will show which is a better position to be in, we still might be no good, they might well not be full stop.

10 years time will show which is a better position to be in, we still might be no good, they might well not be full stop.

Footy is in our DNA.... the western burbs of Soidnee... Nahh !!

Footy is in our DNA.... the western burbs of Soidnee... Nahh !!

The AFL must surely be feeling pretty stupid? Tassie would have had what 30k members from the word go

• Like 1

The AFL must surely be feeling pretty stupid? Tassie would have had what 30k members from the word go

They could all get in on a family membership.

• Like 11

half price for anyone with two heads?

They'll make it back in beanie sales.

I said it at the time and nothing has changed my mind. Why would you put a team in a city that doesn't want it when you have an entire state begging for a team of their own? Idiocy.

It really makes you wonder about what's going on in the minds of the AFL heavyweights, luckily i think it's only a matter of time before Tassie get their wish.

I said it at the time and nothing has changed my mind. Why would you put a team in a city that doesn't want it when you have an entire state begging for a team of their own? Idiocy.

Hello...my Name's Vlad... My ego is bigger than the whole Sydney Harbour, I want to write history...hell I think we should put a team in sh1fsville...yeah that ought to work.....NOT !!!

He doesnt really care ...it was an idea....Does it matter if it costs a 1oo mega bifg ??? nahhh !!

You can research my posts if you desperately desire but you needn't worry, I'll put it straight from the start that I have said this (possibly many times) before.

That has got to be the worst piece of writing I've seen in a "respected" paper. How journalists get away with writing trash like that is so far beyond me I couldn't reach it if I lay Max Gawn out flat in front of me.

Compare it, say, to this article. I shudder to think what Tanya Aldred would do after reading the article linked above.

That said, it's pretty true.

Patrick Smith is a great example of what is wrong with the AFL/sports media in this country. He tries to crack these pathetic analogy jokes, all the while making wild and crazy statements that he doesn't have to back up and has no accountability for. Him and Denham come off as the most smarmy, arrogant sports journalists (loose term) when they speak on SEN.

That article on Agar you referenced is brilliant and puts you in the moment.

Having said that, GWS really stuffed up in dudding Mark Williams of the top job. No surprise they're struggling to get one win with Sheedy the main man.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

I agree with the general thought that GWS right now is struggling more so than most would have thought acceptable, and that they're a bit of a shambles. They've managed their list poorly, their senior players are crap, some of their kids haven't lived up to the hype, and their big recruits have also sucked (Scully the perfect example).

But I don't agree with the myopic people who can't see the long-term view on this one. GWS is there to make AFL a sport of choice in Western Sydney. That's not going to happen overnight in areas where NRL and soccer dominate. That's why the team is there, not in Tasmania, where people already play and support AFL.

• Like 4

I agree with the general thought that GWS right now is struggling more so than most would have thought acceptable, and that they're a bit of a shambles. They've managed their list poorly, their senior players are crap, some of their kids haven't lived up to the hype, and their big recruits have also sucked (Scully the perfect example). But I don't agree with the myopic people who can't see the long-term view on this one. GWS is there to make AFL a sport of choice in Western Sydney. That's not going to happen overnight in areas where NRL and soccer dominate. That's why the team is there, not in Tasmania, where people already play and support AFL.

Adding to this, there is no way the AFL is going to let it go like this for five years and think 'oh, we gave it a shot but it'll never work so we'll demolish the lot'. They will make GWS a marketable side and a (at least moderately) successful side, no matter how much it costs and no matter the concessions that have to be made.

• Like 1

Adding to this, there is no way the AFL is going to let it go like this for five years and think 'oh, we gave it a shot but it'll never work so we'll demolish the lot'. They will make GWS a marketable side and a (at least moderately) successful side, no matter how much it costs and no matter the concessions that have to be made.

That's the problem. The more they suck (GW$)the more the AFL will put into this soulless project.

Making it that much harder for victorian clubs.

The AFL never admit defeat, rather than admit they mucked up the bears they killed the lions as an example.

Edited by why you little

That's the problem. The more they suck (GW$)the more the AFL will put into this soulless project.Making it that much harder for victorian clubs.The AFL never admit defeat, rather than admit they mucked up the bears they killed the lions as an example.

That's true but at least they've given us a few wins over the last couple of years !

• Like 1