The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

Am not surprised about infractions comng at all. Essendon are about to enter a world of pain. Will set them back a decade. The best thing is that it will end any chance Hird has of ever being involved in AFL again.

Interesting about that club in financial strife... guess I will speculate and say North or Bulldogs, only cos they are the obvious ones.

No cigar.

FWIW and because this is the rumour mill thread, I'll put this in here.

Sources are reasonably good and seem to match info being put about elsewhere.

* The proverbial is going to hit the fan in the next fortnight with multiple infraction notices to be served by ASADA on several NRL and AFL players with the number of Essendon players hit to be between 10 and 15; and

* A Victorian club (not us) in diabolical financial strife with AFL intervention required to bail out the club. This doesn't look promising after the AFL clubs put pressure on the Commission to limit assistance to the MFC.

Most of this came at a Friday lunch attended by some people of influence. About Melbourne, I heard absolutely nothing.

St Kilda the obvious candidate for the speculation. Can't imagine they've met membership, sponsorship or attendance targets and appear to be in disarray on and off the field. Their membership alone has fallen from a peak of around 40,000 to around 33,000. We know the impact that has on revenue. Of course whether the speculation is correct is another question.

As for the former... that'd only be unexpected by Essendon fans, thin tanned chaps who are shocked to be sitting here and tight faced ageing footy vaudevillians.

• Like 1

St Kilda the obvious candidate for the speculation. Can't imagine they've met membership, sponsorship or attendance targets and appear to be in disarray on and off the field. Their membership alone has fallen from a peak of around 40,000 to around 33,000. We know the impact that has on revenue. Of course whether the speculation is correct is another question.

As for the former... that'd only be unexpected by Essendon fans, thin tanned chaps who are shocked to be sitting here and tight faced ageing footy vaudevillians.

If it is St Kilda, then they are F'd.

St Kilda's has by far the worst list in the AFL going forward.

St Kilda made the grand final in the middle to end of their window IMO, yet they believed they were entering their window.

I thought after St Kilda lost the Grand Final that they should've traded and maximized some players value, balanced their list out a bit - planned for now and future.

Instead, Ross Lyon put all his eggs in one basket and when 2011 was a shambles, St Kilda really needed to trade out any players who still had value.

Now at the end of 2013, St Kilda decide they'll trade out players, too late... Their list is not in good shape going forward and if Indeed they are the club in financial trouble, then they are going to need more than financial bail outs.... I don't think they'd survive if they are the club WJ is speaking of.

* A Victorian club (not us) in diabolical financial strife with AFL intervention required to bail out the club. This doesn't look promising after the AFL clubs put pressure on the Commission to limit assistance to the MFC.

If they voted against our PP then I hope we vote against any assistance.

• Like 5

It will be St Kilda, they are in big trouble at the moment on and off field. There is a lot of unrest and division in the football department and amongst senior players, the coach and football boss.

The Dogs are moving along ok but need to keep pushing forward and North need a top 4 finish in 2014. St Kilda are now the lame ducks, they take our title and Essendon are going to take a big hit which you would think they could get through but not without some heartache.

I was told yesterday by a saints man jokingly that his saints are moving to NZ.

Said they should have gone to Tassie when they had the chance.

He was laughing about it, but I now wonder if he was meaning that they are financially crapola after what WJ just posted.

If they voted against our PP then I hope we vote against any assistance.

If we're believe everything we read in the media then all 17 clubs were against us getting assistance and, on that basis, while I don't have any problem with them getting the same financial package as us, I would oppose anything bigger and certainly, if they perform badly next year, they can forget about applying for a priority pick. They played in a grand final as recently as 2010, they do awful things with 17 year old schoolgirls and they burn dwarves - all important reasons why they deserve no sympathy from anyone.

• Like 7

Spoke to a current MFC player last night. No real big news but said Shuey is the player they are trying to attract to the MFC.

Also said Hogan is an absolute freak but there is already fears of a go home factor.

Club has just offered him a 2 yr deal, his contract runs out end of 2014 so would keep him at club for another 3 yrs.

• Like 1

My money would be on StKilda. They are only ever 5 mins from implosion. They're a funny lot.

• Like 1

I believe that Sloane - being the best and fairest at a team with a midfield including Scott Thompson and Dangerfield is right up there in pick 2 territory.

I'd reluctantly do the deal, because we're desperate for some quality, but when I look at what I expect for pick 2 it's the calibre of Judd, Hodge, Cotchin, Joel Selwood, Pavlich, etc. Sloane is a good blue collar footballer, but not quite what I'd want at pick 2.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

Pick 2 is worth whatever it is in the given market. Pointless comparing to players of other years or drafts.

• Like 3

If we're believe everything we read in the media then all 17 clubs were against us getting assistance and, on that basis, while I don't have any problem with them getting the same financial package as us, I would oppose anything bigger and certainly, if they perform badly next year, they can forget about applying for a priority pick. They played in a grand final as recently as 2010, they do awful things with 17 year old schoolgirls and they burn dwarves - all important reasons why they deserve no sympathy from anyone.

I hope you are happy- probably the best post on demonland in my 2 years reading. If you've dropped better, post a link but I wholeheartedly doubt it.

Pick 2 is worth whatever it is in the given market. Pointless comparing to players of other years or drafts.

It will be worth more to us due to our situation, but history should never be dismissed when assessing the type of talent one should expect.

been watching a bit on josh kelly.

he looks the goods. could be judd like, and make an impact immediately.

go for him with pick 2, imo.

Agreed. If we take pick 2 to the draft Kelly looks the goods.

I Was talking footy with a Methcoke girl and was surprised by her knowledge, she said "I talk footy, a lot" said her friend had been a physio at the Club and she'd been a member for years, goes on the forum etc. I asked her who from their list she would trade, without a hesitation she nominated Gaff and Shuey. Gaff, she said, "can't handle a tag and needs more upper body strength and Shuey is too slow, we need more pace through the midfield". I didn't say anything but I did think wow. we could be a chance with these boys.

I Was talking footy with a Methcoke girl and was surprised by her knowledge, she said "I talk footy, a lot" said her friend had been a physio at the Club and she'd been a member for years, goes on the forum etc. I asked her who from their list she would trade, without a hesitation she nominated Gaff and Shuey. Gaff, she said, "can't handle a tag and needs more upper body strength and Shuey is too slow, we need more pace through the midfield". I didn't say anything but I did think wow. we could be a chance with these boys.

Obviously she doesnt know her footy if she thinks Shuey is slow.

• Like 3