The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

Why has no one mentioned Josh Kennedy?

Be still my beating heart....

Would be lovely.. hard to see it happening and I also dont think they would need to offer a "Smith" sweetener for Kennedy.

Averaged 27 touches last season in a down year and is still Sydneys best midfielder.

Name me one player that has gone to a club that is by any measure way off the pace for a challenge ?

Players will come to us

1/ Because they are not getting a good go at their current club

2/ Because they are in their twilight and either wont be getting a go at another club or have tasted the ultimate glory so going somewhere for a premiership crack is not as important

3/ For truckloads of money.

The challenge of playing for us would have zero appeal.

Edit - i noted you said "that had already won a premiership" - the likes of Hannebery would come for the biggggg $$$$$$$

Gary Ablett?

Chris Dawes?

The 'challenge' mightn't be the only factor (i.e. money is regularly involved), but it is what lured Ablett to the Gold Coast, and may be a part of what brought Dawes here.

One thing floating pick 2 does is chum the waters. We say pick 2 is on the market, clubs don't offer true value players but do suggest players that don't warrant it and tip their hand. This could be useful with pick 20 to the fore. We can start a negotiation with the player - try to get them keen enough to come across, that's step 1. Then step 2: "Luke, they were falling over themselves to ditch you for pick 2."

Agreed. If played right, pick 2 could have extra value outside of what we directly do with it.

• Like 3

Be still my beating heart....

Would be lovely.. hard to see it happening and I also dont think they would need to offer a "Smith" sweetener for Kennedy.

Averaged 27 touches last season in a down year and is still Sydneys best midfielder.

Given that Josh is 25, he has five years left at his peak. We'd want something more. We've stated 8 years minimum left in them. Package him with Parker and I'd sign off in a second.

JPK no go due to age, I'd have thought.

I just wonder though if Sydney are trying to open up cap space, would they deem JPK and Parker as expendable? I'd argue if it meant getting their hands on a 10-12 year elite ball user with #2, it might be worth it, given their midfield depth.

Edited by AdamFarr

Who what where ????

Swans on the move?
It is possible the Sydney Swans could be offloading more players than originally thought, with a new trade whisper emerging that the club is attempting to reposition itself in this year's draft and land a pick inside the top five.

The word is that the Swans are considering doing a deal with a Melbourne-based club that has a high draft pick, possibly St Kilda or Melbourne - clubs with links to the Swans.

A deal involving a package of players, including at least two premiership heroes, is the suggestion. It is no secret that Nick Smith has strong roots in Melbourne and the pull home always lingers. Smith has been touted as a future captain of the Swans and he is certainly a backline general.

However, the Swans may be willing to cut their losses if the reward is high.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-07/trade-winds-monday

SIX CLUBS have expressed interest in Hawthorn midfielder Shane Savage, who is likely to make a decision on his preferred destination this week.

The contracted Savage - an emergency for Hawthorn's Grand Final side - is seeking to be traded, with the Hawks' approval.

As the Gillette AFL Exchange Period opens, Carlton, Melbourne, West Coast and St Kilda have expressed interest in the 22-year-old.

Edited by Demon Stalwart

Sorry Titan,

I am much more sceptical than you. I will give a million plus reasons per season why Ablett went to GC and in excess fo 600,000 reasons why Dawes came to us. The idea of a challenge whilst romantic is nothing more than noise.

Sorry Titan,

I am much more sceptical than you. I will give a million plus reasons per season why Ablett went to GC and in excess fo 600,000 reasons why Dawes came to us. The idea of a challenge whilst romantic is nothing more than noise.

I think it's a bit more than that.

It's the reason you use to convince yourself you aren't just doing it for the money.

I think it's a bit more than that.

It's the reason you use to convince yourself you aren't just doing it for the money.

Ahh the delusional card !

Whilst you may be able to sell the vision of going to the dogs who finished off nicely last season, we are a much harder sell. But we are already hearing that the likes of Taylor Adams doesnt want to come to us - the only way you would go to club without financial inducement is the likes of Brian Lake and Riv - the lure of a premiership at the end of the career. I would suspect that even some mid aged footballers go to a top club for less money because of the lure of a premiership.

The idea of a footballer coming to us without a rather large financial inducement for the challenge of the rebuild just doesnt cut it.

Name me one player that has gone to a club that is by any measure way off the pace for a challenge ?

Players will come to us

1/ Because they are not getting a good go at their current club

2/ Because they are in their twilight and either wont be getting a go at another club or have tasted the ultimate glory so going somewhere for a premiership crack is not as important

3/ For truckloads of money.

The challenge of playing for us would have zero appeal.

Edit - i noted you said "that had already won a premiership" - the likes of Hannebery would come for the biggggg $$$$$$$

G Ablett

Although the $$$ helped ;)

but don't the swans have a no DH policy?

Not anymore apparently !! :rolleyes:

I thought they were trying to improve their list.

I'd rather Angus Graham.

Wow don't know about that.. Graham couldn't even get a gig for the crows. Spud of the highest order.

Hampson has atleast shown talent with his marking and ruckwork. Fresh start will do him well for the tiges

Paraphrasing Josh Mahoney interview I just heard on trade radio

Some interest in Pick 2

Pick 2’s a prize pick, have to be a very good player or combination

Denies interest in Luke Shuey or Andrew Gaff

No to Heath Shaw

Again Taylor Adams doesn’t have us in his sights

Dylan Shiel – like to keep talking to GWS about range of things

David Myers –we’ve shown interest

If the Swans are prepared to part with a midfield gun and their first pick or a mid-range midfielder, I would nearly suggest they're declaring that they're unlikely to challenge for the flag next year. Unless of course they think Buddy is the missing link and will take them to the flag next year.