The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

Club is in a quandary over our available forwards/talls. We have Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Fitzpatrick, Spencer, Gawn, Jamar. All don't fit. They know we need backups but that is way to many. Expecting at least Spencer to get the sqeeze and maybe Jamar.

we've gotta hold Fitzpatrick atmo.

I would look one of Gawn, Spencer, & Jamar.

Clark maybe nextyear, depending?

If I could get Adams for Gawn, I'd go for it... or a swap of Gawn for Longer, if Gawny was up for Brissie temps?

I like Gawn and Fitzy. Spencer skills are not the greatest. Unfortunately Jamar I think is past best. What we could get for him I don't know!

we've gotta hold Fitzpatrick atmo.

I would look one of Gawn, Spencer, & Jamar.

Clark maybe nextyear, depending?

If I could get Adams for Gawn, I'd go for it... or a swap of Gawn for Longer, if Gawny was up for Brissie temps?

DL, we have to hold Fitzpatrick full stop. I really think he could blossom akin to how Westoff has at Port. Partly because they both look like Shaggy from Scoobie Doo.

• Like 1

gotta give something to get something

pick #2, #35 and Fitzpatrick for Rockliff and pick #7

Somehow i feel Brisbane still wouldn't accept that. Ideally I'd love to retain Fitzpatrick but we have an abundance of mid-tall forwards and one or two will have to make way

I like Gawn and Fitzy. Spencer skills are not the greatest. Unfortunately Jamar I think is past best. What we could get for him I don't know!

if we're going to trade to improve, namely in the running spreading mids, then we'll have to give something to get something. whats the point of giving unproven & of little worth. to get zilch back ?

Gawn doesn't have a leap or much strength or aggression. as someone said he's inbetween a forward & a ruck, just tall is all.... Longer has a leap like superman, & hits the ball to targets that I can see. agile & mobile.

... No contest I think.

Lets have a really big Trade period this year then let the side settle. there are some really good players & kids up to move this year... Lets get amongst it Now.

to me I'd really look to trade Howe & Gawn & Blease as players who we'd get something for. Blease to add to a package.

I think Howe would go close to getting us Adams from GWS. the Giants would love his High Flying. & we could get Adams who wants to return....

Gawn for Rockliff, or Longer, or as a part of a deal for Swallow... Billy Longer would be good here.

this still allows us P2, for Swallow + a pick.

The rumor about ROCKLIFF amuses me. Back in the year he was drafter he missed in the national draft and then trained with Melbourne who told him we would take him as either in the pre season draft or as a rookie. We took JARRAH, then a few picks later ROCKLIFF was taken by Brisbane. Another great blunder of the time.

• Like 6

The rumor about ROCKLIFF amuses me. Back in the year he was drafter he missed in the national draft and then trained with Melbourne who told him we would take him as either in the pre season draft or as a rookie. We took JARRAH, then a few picks later ROCKLIFF was taken by Brisbane. Another great blunder of the time.

Flash over substance, Yet again.

• Like 1

Club is in a quandary over our available forwards/talls. We have Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Fitzpatrick, Spencer, Gawn, Jamar. All don't fit. They know we need backups but that is way to many. Expecting at least Spencer to get the sqeeze and maybe Jamar.

You're going out on a limb there.

People that cry about this all these years later are so full of shite, everyone was on the Jurrah bandwagon when we took him. He was a fantastic get for the club at the time and progressed a lot quicker than most in his first 3 years at the club.

Jurrah had a far higher ceiling than Rockliff. Rookie picks are for speculative players.

• Like 3

People that cry about this all these years later are so full of shite, everyone was on the Jurrah bandwagon when we took him. He was a fantastic get for the club at the time and progressed a lot quicker than most in his first 3 years at the club.

Jurrah had a far higher ceiling than Rockliff. Rookie picks are for speculative players.

Rockliff was a known talent for Vic Country. I saw him kick 4 goals in the junior champs at the MCG from half forward and thought he was a gun. He was talked about as being a top 30 pick on numerous websites. But recruiters weren't sure what position he'd be able to nail down at AFL level and didn't envisage he'd be the dominant mid he's become. He wasn't a small forward and he wasn't a mid, which is why he slipped. I've learnt over the years that recruiters stuff up all of the time.

In my view Rockliff was never speculative even though he wasn't selected in the ND.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

In my view Rockliff was never speculative even though he wasn't selected in the ND.

Which is exactly my point. You have a PSD pick and you have the opportunity to take one of the most gifted & exciting players ever seen vs a bunch of leftovers, who do you take?

Edited by torpedo

Rockliff was a known talent for Vic Country. I saw him kick 4 goals in the junior champs at the MCG from half forward and thought he was a gun. He was talked about as being a top 30 pick on numerous websites. But recruiters weren't sure what position he'd be able to nail down at AFL level and didn't envisage he'd be the dominant mid he's become. He wasn't a small forward and he wasn't a mid, which is why he slipped. I've learnt over the years that recruiters stuff up all of the time.

hindsight bias.

having said that i saw rockliff play and thought "oh my" he would be an extremely good pick up, but if jurrah didnt go sour he would be the perfect small forward for our list.

secondly, i also remember watching a vic metro match where a one armed addam maric kicked 4 goals in a best on performance and thought crap this bloke is going to be a star.

recruiters stuff up, players stuff up and at the end of the day would have been nice to be able to take both :|

*edit for censored

Edited by Mad_Melbourne
  • Like 1

if we're going to trade to improve, namely in the running spreading mids, then we'll have to give something to get something. whats the point of giving unproven & of little worth. to get zilch back ?

Gawn doesn't have a leap or much strength or aggression. as someone said he's inbetween a forward & a ruck, just tall is all.... Longer has a leap like superman, & hits the ball to targets that I can see. agile & mobile.

... No contest I think.

Lets have a really big Trade period this year then let the side settle. there are some really good players & kids up to move this year... Lets get amongst it Now.

to me I'd really look to trade Howe & Gawn & Blease as players who we'd get something for. Blease to add to a package.

I think Howe would go close to getting us Adams from GWS. the Giants would love his High Flying. & we could get Adams who wants to return....

Gawn for Rockliff, or Longer, or as a part of a deal for Swallow... Billy Longer would be good here.

this still allows us P2, for Swallow + a pick.

We have to keep Howe. I'm aware that he usually only makes cameo appearances in matches, but I believe he is a vital part of our future. Further to that, his highlights make people want to go to the footy. They make people buy memberships. They are one of the few reasons that ANY kid would go for Melbourne at the moment.

I'd be gutted to see Gawn go, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if he could be part of a package to land us a star mid.

hindsight bias.

having said that i saw rockliff play and thought "oh my" he would be an extremely good pick up, but if jurrah didnt go sour he would be the perfect small forward for our list.

secondly, i also remember watching a vic metro match where a one armed addam maric kicked 4 goals in a best on performance and thought crap this bloke is going to be a star.

recruiters stuff up, players stuff up and at the end of the day would have been nice to be able to take both :|

*edit for censored

At around 6'3" that's a bit of a stretch.

McDonald's defensive actions are superb, and with Chip an RFA next year there's no way that they'd look at trading him I don't think. We'd be left with Garland and Dunn as our only talls in the backline.

On Howe, I envisage he and Watts alternating from half-forward to wing, where one will always push defensively. He definitely needs to work harder on his game when not in possession, but he seems to have the application and desire to do so.

Our biggest issue at the moment for this trading period is that we don't have a lot of currency to work with.

• Like 1