The James Aish Thread

Love to get Aish with his elite skills (a la Toumpas) but it worries me getting another 74kg player into the side and repeating our Jordan Gysberts saga (even though he played well for Werribee last weekend).

Love to get Aish with his elite skills (a la Toumpas) but it worries me getting another 74kg player into the side and repeating our Jordan Gysberts saga (even though he played well for Werribee last weekend).

Gysberts never had elite skills. Aish is a very different player to Gysberts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Aish got through that final round and performed reasonably given that he had been out of action for a few weeks. He's back tomorrow for the second semi final against West Adelaide. The teams are:-

NORWOOD

F: Davis, Warren, Grigg

HF: Phillips, Dawe, Pfeiffer

C: James Aish, Thomas, Fuller

HB: Zorzi, McGuinness, Bode

B: Stevenson, Georgiou, Kirwan

R: Baulderstone, Webber, Suckling

INT FROM: M. Evans, Dumont, Jefferies, Bampton, Fantasia

IN: Zorzi, Dawe, Fantasia, Grigg

OUT: Donohue (calf), Smart

WEST ADELAIDE

F: Fielke, Still, Slattery

HF: Silverlock, Keough, Beech

C: Hill, Schmidt, Birss

HB: Green, Hartlett, Mangan

B: Caire, Tippett, Thompson

R: Webb, Tuck, Macreadie

INT FROM: Bricknell, Middleton, Bonney, Kirk, R. Anderson

IN: R. Anderson, Middleton, Kirk, Still

OUT: Ferguson (concussion), Moran (hamstring)

West Adelaide skipper Ryan Ferguson who is best known for his refusal to go to Hawthorn in exchange for Brad Sewell all those years ago is out with a hamstring injury.

I wonder how Aish is feeling right now, us throwing up pick number 2 he could end up just about anywhere, and for alot of the year he would have been getting himself used to the idea of moving to Melbourne.

I doubt he'd worry about that or pay any real attention to mock drafts.

The kid definitely wouldn't be expecting to go pick 2.

you'd have to think it would cross his mind? haha surely he'd have mates constantly joking about it and stuff

So? He wouldn't believe any of it.

The mindset of a kid in his position is to play well this year so he can get drafted.

He may feel a bit safe now that he will actually get drafted, but he still wouldn't have a clue where and won't agonise over what pick.

He'd know better than most that it's the clubs that make that decision of who they draft, not the papers or bloody Hutchy, so he'd take it all with a grain of salt in the knowledge that if he does get drafted, it could be to anywhere.

Why worry about where that might be without any real evidence?

He's concentrating on getting back from injury, playing good footy, finishing school and chasing skirt like an 18-year-old.

Edited by Machiavelli

If Aish hasn't pondered the possibility that he might land at St Kilda, then he isn't human.

Blind Freddy can see that St Kilda are in deep trouble the next few years.

Gee it's lucky we aren't a basket case of a club at the moment, he might dread coming to the MFC too.

Not sure if the SC Paige phantom has been linked on here yet, but Aish seems to be the clear No 2 pick by most in the know. If we keep pick 2 I'd expect we will be calling his name. Also I didn't know that Aish and Toumpas were best mates.

Pick 2 – MELBOURNE – James Aish

Club: Norwood
D.O.B.: 8.11.95
Height: 184cm
Weight: 75kg

After debuting as a 16 year old for Norwood’s senior side in the SANFL, James Aish is one of, if not the most classiest ball user in this year’s draft crop. Although nimble, Aish comes from strong football bloodlines in South Australia, ans is the type of player who could be the answer to Melbourne’s midfield woes. There isn’t enough positive things to say about Aish, elite on both sides of his body, elite mark, elite hands, brilliant running game, composure in traffic, a play maker – I could go on forever. Unlike Dom Sheed, Aish has terrific pace and breakaway speed – which is why he is rated so highly. AFL ready for round 1 next year, and also the best friend of Jimmy Toumpas.

http://www.scpaige.com.au/2013-phantom-draft-september-edition/

• Like 1

Not sure if the SC Paige phantom has been linked on here yet, but Aish seems to be the clear No 2 pick by most in the know. If we keep pick 2 I'd expect we will be calling his name. Also I didn't know that Aish and Toumpas were best mates.

After debuting as a 16 year old for Norwood’s senior side in the SANFL, James Aish is one of, if not the most classiest ball user in this year’s draft crop. Although nimble, Aish comes from strong football bloodlines in South Australia, ans is the type of player who could be the answer to Melbourne’s midfield woes. There isn’t enough positive things to say about Aish, elite on both sides of his body, elite mark, elite hands, brilliant running game, composure in traffic, a play maker – I could go on forever. Unlike Dom Sheed, Aish has terrific pace and breakaway speed – which is why he is rated so highly. AFL ready for round 1 next year, and also the best friend of Jimmy Toumpas.

That right there is why we will be taking him. "Unlike Dom Sheed, Aish has terrific pace and breakaway speed – which is why he is rated so highly. AFL ready for round 1 next year" That pace, Paige, referred to is something we lack. Although Aish isn't the fastest player ever, he has speed and skills, which is a deadly combination. 75kg also isnt that light for a player in his mold, a running type.. he will max out around 83kg you' think. Any bigger and he's at risk of losing that pace that makes him such a bright prospect.

• Like 1

Massive bias towards towards genetics here, but definitely favoring both Aish and Kelly due to having football blood running through their veins.

Shame we didn't get a PP, both will be absolute class.

Kelly is head and shoulders a better player than Scully was as a junior, for one Kelly isn't so rigid and rushed as Tom - and Kelly is far better on his non dominant side.

It will be hard to split them.

Massive bias towards towards genetics here, but definitely favoring both Aish and Kelly due to having football blood running through their veins.

Shame we didn't get a PP, both will be absolute class.

Kelly is head and shoulders a better player than Scully was as a junior, for one Kelly isn't so rigid and rushed as Tom - and Kelly is far better on his non dominant side.

It will be hard to split them.

From what you've seen would say Kelky is inside/outside or both. Cheers mate.

Kelly's very much an outside type. I like Aish more, but still think Kelly's top 5 calibre. There's a bit of Andrew Gaff about his game, but his kick has more penetration. Outstanding runner too.

Agreed.

Kelly is purely outside and I'd expect St Kilda to snap him up at Pick 3

Aish has the ability to be an inside/outside midfielder but to start with will be mainly outside no doubt.

From what you've seen would say Kelky is inside/outside or both. Cheers mate.

Due to his endurance and gut running, Kelly always finds himself on the outside, but that is mainly a result of burning off his opponent.

I know most people say Kelly is purely outside, I don't subscribe to that theory... Aish skirts off the packs more than Kelly - and does it brilliantly might I add.

I'd liken Kelly very much to a Gaff, with a touch of McKrae and the gut running abilities of a Kieren Jack, he'll be hard to overlook.

• Like 1

Kelly "purely" outside.

I reckon this view is crap.

I reckon you are right. The games I've watched him (admittedly only a couple), he got his fair share of contested ball and clearances. The outside tag comes from people looking at his weight not his performance.

He is clean, has good skills, is a good runner and accumulates the ball. I wouldn't be unhappy if we picked him up.