Trengove on SEN 3rd July

Junior

Jack said:

- Neeld had the team playing with a very defensive mindset, which has had us chasing the opposition around all year and not getting enough of the ball in our own hands. Whereas Craig has encouraged a more attacking style of play, i.e. get the ball and keep it off them.

- Agrees it was Watts best 4 qtr effort of his career on the weekend.

- Peter Jackson addressed all of the players recently and had everyone very fired up about the changes that are happening. He gave examples of other clubs who have been down, and managed to turn things around very quickly.

- Player most keen to see if they've been named in the best: Sam Blease

- Player with deepest pockets and shortest arms: Col Garland.

- Best niggler: Lynden Dunn

Edited by Junior
  • Like 2

How many times did he say the word "obviously"?

Seems to be a common word used by AFL players to fill in time whilst they think of a response, in similar vein to "ummm" and "ahhh".

Trenners is particularly fond of the word.

Not to mention "yeah, nah"

If he was being interviewed by Andy Maher, I wonder whether we heard the marvellous "comparisons are onerous" - which I've heard the aforementioned use at least twice.

• Like 1

"- Neeld had the team playing with a very defensive mindset, which has had us chasing the opposition around all year and not getting enough of the ball in our own hands. Whereas Craig has encouraged a more attacking style of play, i.e. get the ball and keep it off them."

I haven't heard the interview yet, but if the above quote is even close to verbatim, it is astonishing that Trenners has been so open about Neeld. To say that your coach had the team "chasing the opposition around all year" makes it very clear that they were being discouraged from attacking. Now we know that under Bailey, the team could attack well but could not defend to save themselves, and now Neeld is the exact opposite. Massive over-correction.

Huge pat on the back to Trenners for saying it how it is. I wonder if this is the influence of Peter Jackson? Jones, Garland and now Trenners have been much more open to the media and really answering questions - a great change.

Is it beginning to sound more and more like the players are loving Neil Craig - similar to Sydney wanting Terry Wallace but the players pleading to keep then assistant coach Paul Roos?

• Like 7

Jack said:

- Neeld had the team playing with a very defensive mindset, which has had us chasing the opposition around all year and not getting enough of the ball in our own hands. Whereas Craig has encouraged a more attacking style of play, i.e. get the ball and keep it off them.

- Agrees it was Watts best 4 qtr effort of his career on the weekend.

- Peter Jackson addressed all of the players recently and had everyone very fired up about the changes that are happening. He gave examples of other clubs who have been down, and managed to turn things around very quickly.

- Player most keen to see if they've been named in the best: Sam Blease

- Player with deepest pockets and shortest arms: Col Garland.

- Best niggler: Lynden Dunn

"Coming from Neeldy, he probably took the more defensive approach and really tried to put a strangle on the game, and there's no doubt we've learnt some great principles from that, which we showed on the weekend as well," Trengove said on SEN radio. Slightly different take

• Like 1

Like posters on a footy board, obviously

You are like that annoying uncle at the table for Christmas lunch. You're there because you are family, but everyone thinks you're annoying, and your jokes aren't funny.

You will always post on here because you're a part of the Demonland family, but that's where it stops.

• Like 9

"Craigy's probably brought more of a freedom and when we have the ball in our hands, really trying to test the opposition offensively and make them defend us.

"There's no doubt this year we've done a lot of chasing tail and it's now our turn when the ball gets in our hands to really make them defend us.

"That's probably what Craigy's brought."

And the rest

So it is a mixture of what was paraphrased

So again it is not an outright criticism of Neeld's methods

• Like 2

You are like that annoying uncle at the table for Christmas lunch. You're there because you are family, but everyone thinks you're annoying, and your jokes aren't funny.

You will always post on here because you're a part of the Demonland family, but that's where it stops.

Not everybody thinks I am annoying, some find it amusing when I go Orc hunting, haven't had to for a while, they must be back in the caves getting their breath back for the next attack, not many targets left, even Lynden Dunn has been playing ok, not brilliant, but ok, and a win helps.....anyway thank you for caring, my nephew thinks I am cool by the way

• Like 1

How many times did he say the word "obviously"?

Seems to be a common word used by AFL players to fill in time whilst they think of a response, in similar vein to "ummm" and "ahhh".

Trenners is particularly fond of the word.

Nathan Jones on one of the Sunday TV footy shows used 'obviously' many times...Must be a favourite of the Melbourne boys.

Michael Long is obviously the king of obviously, he obviously uses it at least once in obviously every sentence.

Clint, he is not injured, not doing a full pre season hasn't helped him, but the last two games have shown he is getting back to where he should be

'Sat' this doesn't explain the loss of pace last season where it became apparent something wasn't right.

He's certainly getting the ball a bit more and playing some good footy, I just reckon he doesn't have full freedom in his movement yet. This is not a knock on him as I am a big supporter of his and think a lot on here under sell him. The kid will be an A grader when he gets his power back.

• Like 2

Michael Long is obviously the king of obviously, he obviously uses it at least once in obviously every sentence.

Well that was obvious!

"Craigy's probably brought more of a freedom and when we have the ball in our hands, really trying to test the opposition offensively and make them defend us.

"There's no doubt this year we've done a lot of chasing tail and it's now our turn when the ball gets in our hands to really make them defend us.

"That's probably what Craigy's brought."

And the rest

So it is a mixture of what was paraphrased

So again it is not an outright criticism of Neeld's methods

Yeah this is closer to the mark, I typed the post 15 minutes after listening so it's not direct quotes.

'Sat' this doesn't explain the loss of pace last season where it became apparent something wasn't right.

He's certainly getting the ball a bit more and playing some good footy, I just reckon he doesn't have full freedom in his movement yet. This is not a knock on him as I am a big supporter of his and think a lot on here under sell him. The kid will be an A grader when he gets his power back.

Personal opinion, think he/the club started to build him the wrong way, think they tried to bulk up a bit too much last season, and he was still growing, trimmed back this pre season and overdid the running, hence the foot, agree probably put back a year, but starting to show signs, spoke to him at training two weeks ago after the bye, feels really fresh and stronger, looking at involving himself more and more, disappointed in last season himself, said he just needs uninterrupted run of games

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 2

Billy we are all allowed a voice, put on ignore if you don't want to "hear" Uncle Saty. He posted what was actually said not a slight variation of it, Chinese whispers would have had Trenners stating the players hated Neelds defensive minded game plan by end of the day.

• Like 1

Personal opinion, think he/the club started to build him the wrong way, think they tried to bulk up a bit too much last season, and he was still growing, trimmed back this pre season and overdid the running, hence the foot, agree probably put back a year, but starting to show signs, spoke to him at training two weeks ago after the bye, feels really fresh and stronger, looking at involving himself more and more, disappointed in last season himself, said he just needs uninterrupted run of games

Could be right there 'Sat', there is no doubt he lost some zip. Good to see him back on track, I'm sure he can prove the doubters wrong.

Billy we are all allowed a voice, put on ignore if you don't want to "hear" Uncle Saty. He posted what was actually said not a slight variation of it, Chinese whispers would have had Trenners stating the players hated Neelds defensive minded game plan by end of the day.

2 things "Cards";

1. The OP wasn't bashing Neeld at all. And what he posted was very similar to what Trengove actually said.

2. I was replying to Uncle's attempt at humour, not his clarification of what JT actually said.

I had to like his post because I just laughed hard at the irony of it.

• Like 1

Not everybody thinks I am annoying, some find it amusing when I go Orc hunting, haven't had to for a while, they must be back in the caves getting their breath back for the next attack, not many targets left, even Lynden Dunn has been playing ok, not brilliant, but ok, and a win helps.....anyway thank you for caring, my nephew thinks I am cool by the way

Dunn was below AFL standard Saturday night and should be dropped.