Casey Scorpions v Northern Blues

KC from Casey

I would rather they had a couple of extra rookies and played Couch or Magner, it is pointless having Rodan on the list and hopefully at the end of the year he won't be any longer.

He is past it and should never have been drafted, he's not part of our future and wasn't part of our past, he typifies all that was wrong with Neeld's tenure at the club.

Whilst reading posts from New York whilst travelling for the last few months I can only judge from other Demonlanders comments. It seems to me however that Rodan had a bigger impact on our game against the Doggies than either Magner or Couch would ever be capable of. That is why he is on our list!

GORILLA IN THE MIST by KC from Casey

The scene on entering the Casey Fields sporting complex was surreal. The entire area was covered in a blanket of mist; there was no movement at all and yet, a feeling of expectation hung over the crispy, cold early afternoon air.

The Casey Scorpions ran out wearing their old, traditional Springvale Football Club jumper. Their opponents were somewhat incongruously dressed in the Preston red of old prompting the question as to why they are now called the Blues? As the teams ran onto the ground, there was a feeling that something special was about to happen.

It wasn't as if young rising star Jesse Hogan announced himself to the football world with his six goal performance that highlighted Casey's 28-point victory. The powerfully built forward had already done that in his days as a junior, having made the AFL Under 18 All Australian team with a year left in those ranks. He had already kicked five goals earlier in the season against Geelong VFL. On this day however, he displayed all of his attributes as a player of enormous promise in front of a big audience on ABC TV and he stood out, literally like a gorilla in the mist.

The youngster kicked the first two goals of the game, took strong contested grabs, finished with 23 possessions and 10 marks, crashed through packs, led with acceleration and monstered AFL credentialed opponents. Even as he strutted his stuff in the lifting fog of a still rustic tree lined oval in Cranbourne, all eyes were trained on the big amphitheater 45 kilometres away where he will soon ply his trade.

The game wasn't all about Hogan. The Scorpions, with their midfield dominant, raced away to score the opening three goals of the game before the accurate Blues scraped their way back into the game and, for a brief while, wrested the lead away from their hosts. However, that was merely the signal for the Scorps to get on their bikes and push out to a 16-point lead at the final break before cruising to a 13.14 (92) to 9.10 (64) victory.

The defence led by Cam Petersen (8 marks), skipper Evan Panozza, the Tynan brothers and an improving James Strauss held sway and the midfield dominated despite the presence of Carlton's Carazzo and Bell among the opposition. James Magner collected 29 possessions, Danny Nicholls 27 and Tom Couch was close behind with 26. The improving Mitch Gent played his role with 22 touches.

Local district cricket captain Jake Best was dangerous with two goals as was Luke Tapscott who also chipped in with two of his own. Rory Taggert is shrugging off his injury woes and was busy, particularly at the end.

The VFL's split round gives the Scorpions a week's break and affords coach Rohan Welsh time to plan his team's run into the finals knowing he has some potent weapons to help conduct the campaign ahead.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Rohan Bail 1 kick 2 handballs 3 disposals 1 mark

Dominic Barry 4 kicks 9 handballs 13 disposals 2 marks 7 tackles

Tom Couch 10 kicks 16 handballs 26 disposals 5 marks 4 tackles

Troy Davis 9 kicks 9 handballs 18 disposals 7 marks 4 tackles 2 hit outs 1 goal 3 behinds

Tom Gillies 7 kicks 7 handballs 14 disposals 3marks

Jesse Hogan 17 kicks 6 handballs 23 disposals 10 marks 3 tackles 6 goals 2 behinds

Neville Jetta 5 kicks 8 handballs 1 3 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 1 hit out 1 behind

James Magner 17 kicks 12 handballs 29 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles

Cam Pedersen 11 kicks 11 handballs 22 disposals 8 marks 4 tackles

James Strauss 10 kicks 13 handballs 23 disposals 5 marks 2 handballs

Rory Taggert 10 kicks 4 handballs 14 disposals 7 marks 5 tackles 1 goal

Luke Tapscott 14 kicks 4 handballs 18 disposals 3 marks 2 goals

Josh Tynan 14 kicks 10 handballs 24 disposals 4 marks 2 goals

Casey Scorpions 3.3.21 6.6.42 10.9.69 13.14.92

Northern Blues 2.0.12 6.0.36 8.5.53 9.10.64

Goals

Casey Scorpions Hogan 6 Best Tapscott 2 Davis Smith Taggert

Northern Blues Warnock Wilson 2 Buckley Laidler Lincoln Mitchell Rowe

Best

Casey Scorpions Hogan Strauss Pedersen Gent Nicholls Tapscott

Northern Blues Meese McInnes Wilson Graham Duigan Carrazzo

The AFL Victoria Development League team won by a comfortable 27 points in a low scoring game in the curtain raiser. The fourth placed Northern Blues were kept goalless in the second half.

Casey Scorpions 4.1.25 5.4.34 5.7.37 7.10.52

Northern Blues, 2.0.12 3.3.21 3.5.23 3.7.25

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fowler 4 Boland Lang Riseley

Northern Blues Dorman 2 Dirago

Best

Casey Scorpions Troutman Roberts Lang Fusinato Boland Fowler

Northern Blues McDonald Dirago Cattapan Gleeson Currie Posar

• Like 1

I watched most of the match on ABC tv yesterday. Very impressed with a number of the Dees boys.

Tappy was wonderful. His first half was just ok but 2nd half was excellent. His attack on the ball, 2nd and 3rd efforts, and physical presence was brutal at times.

Magner. A really good game (bone crunching tackle/bump on young Buckley) but I don't reckon his kicking efficiency would be good.

Couch. A stoppage machine who keeps going like a duracell battery but he misses easy targets far too often.

Strauss. I still prefer him over Dunn in the Dees team. His run and carry was outstanding and his kicking stood out on a day when there was a fair bit of bad kicking.

Jetta. When involved in the play he looked good but wasn't in the play enough.

Taggert. Like Jetta, looked good when involved but it didn't seem to be his day. Has a decent crack at it though.

Tynan. I liked his game. He looked steady and sure. Faded out of the game a few times.

Hogan. He is as good a contested mark that I have ever seen at 18 yo. Just magnificent.

Barry. Super quick off the mark but two pre-seasons away from being big enough to handle the physical nature of AFL.

Davis. This bloke is a good footballer. Reads the play really well and at times his skills are fine. But when his skills let him down they are often howlers. But he gets a heap of the ball and is a big, big boy.

Davis. This bloke is a good footballer. Reads the play really well and at times his skills are fine. But when his skills let him down they are often howlers. But he gets a heap of the ball and is a big, big boy.

He's still listed as 192cm, but he looks quite a bit bigger than that to me. Standing beside Hogan he looks about the same height. Maybe he's just tall for his height?

Either way, I love his attitude at the contest. Not sure about using him as a forward, although he had three shots on goal, so not a bad effort even if he missed two of them. I would be using him as the replacement back rather than Pedo.

Enjoy it mate.

i skipped through and watched all Hogans marks and goals

The strength of this kid is just unbelievable. He would be monstering guys at AFL level if he played this week. Imagine the development he is getting from going up against James Frawley at training

And I am not sure why there are so many queries on his kicking? Looks fine to me. He does swing out to the right a fair bit on his final few steps but if it works for him then all good

Edited by hogans_heroes

Whilst reading posts from New York whilst travelling for the last few months I can only judge from other Demonlanders comments. It seems to me however that Rodan had a bigger impact on our game against the Doggies than either Magner or Couch would ever be capable of. That is why he is on our list!

Last year in his first three games Magner was our best player, now that's something Rodan will never achieve. Rodan was ok yesterday but certainly wasn't best on ground and I doubt he ever will be.

Rodan's flashy and when he gets the ball he stands out because he runs around in a circle and tries to do too much and sometimes it appears as if he's done we'll when he hasn't

He's on our list for the same reason that Gillies, Pederson and Byrnes are, Neeld stuffed up.

Last year in his first three games Magner was our best player, now that's something Rodan will never achieve. Rodan was ok yesterday but certainly wasn't best on ground and I doubt he ever will be.

Rodan's flashy and when he gets the ball he stands out because he runs around in a circle and tries to do too much and sometimes it appears as if he's done we'll when he hasn't

He's on our list for the same reason that Gillies, Pederson and Byrnes are, Neeld stuffed up.

Or he's on our list because the expansion clubs coming in and taking away depth from all the clubs has meant that we haven't got the list turnover we needed. Just look at the 2011 draft where we added Clark, Tynan and Taggert. You'd think after 2011 season a new coach would want to delist a bunch but the talent wasn't out there! GWS and GC had it all!

Anyway where we were at meant the last few spots on our list were always going to be taken by not much more than battlers. Be it those you've named or Morton, Bennell and Petterd what's the difference?

he also adds leadership and premiership experience which he is able to share with the youngsters, because all clubs do need the mix of older players who are good leaders aswell as young players

• Like 1

he also adds leadership and premiership experience which he is able to share with the youngsters, because all clubs do need the mix of older players who are good leaders aswell as young players

Is that correct? Wouldn't he have been at Richmond when PA won the flag? And, of course, he wouldn't have won a premiership with the Tigers.

I generally don't like to harp on about players in a negative way but Gillies first quarter was atrocious. His kicking skills were shocking, he missed targets from what I would consider three clangers, one should of been a chest mark to a leading forward although instead was a grubber along the ground and another out on he full. I hope for his sakes he can improve these shortcomings because it's not looking good come the end of his contract (end of this year or the next, can't remember).

I generally don't like to harp on about players in a negative way but Gillies first quarter was atrocious. His kicking skills were shocking, he missed targets from what I would consider three clangers, one should of been a chest mark to a leading forward although instead was a grubber along the ground and another out on he full. I hope for his sakes he can improve these shortcomings because it's not looking good come the end of his contract (end of this year or the next, can't remember).

Lucky for us it was one year I think.

Should have his agent looking at the WAFL or SANFL.

However on current form not sure there would be any takers there either.

I watched that game and on what I saw he should be in the development league next week.

Both of these spuds will get the chop at the end of this season but I'll bet you still won't come to your senses.

I understand what you're trying to say but there is honestly no point in playing them.

Can we please stop referring to our players as "Spuds"...."List clogers" ect.....They may not be up to AFL standard, but the work they put in to better themselves and become better footballers cannot be doubted...

I know you don't have to have played this game to be critical or have an opinion, but at least give them the respect they deserve.......Most of us would give our right arms to have the chance.....

• Like 3

Can we please stop referring to our players as "Spuds"...."List clogers" ect.....They may not be up to AFL standard, but the work they put in to better themselves and become better footballers cannot be doubted...

I know you don't have to have played this game to be critical or have an opinion, but at least give them the respect they deserve.......Most of us would give our right arms to have the chance.....

how does NAS grab you Bossdog?