WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

If you haven't red this I think you need to especially in light of the Real possibility now that Roos will coach Melbourne Next year

It reads like his Blueprint and also what he believes he can and cannot deliver

"Demons fans will want to know immediately how soon the clubs on-field fortunes can change."

This is where the challenge begins for the new coach.

Unfortunately, for Demons fans, I would suggest the new coach wont be able to provide a satisfactory answer at his first press conference.

Most of the list will need to be closely looked at by before he can make an assessment of how quickly things can turn around.

The biggest question on everyones lips is: is Melbournes on-field performance a reflection of poor recruiting or poor development?

If you dissect the list there are clearly some strengths and weaknesses.

The Demons look to have three good tall defenders in James Frawley, Colin Garland and Tom McDonald.

As we know, defence wins premierships and there are many teams who would love to start with these three players.

Equally, the forward line could consist of Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes and Jesse Hogan. Certainly, at their best, these three would trouble opposition defenders.

We know what Clark and Dawes can deliver and, by all accounts, young Hogan is destined to be a star.

The midfield is clearly a major concern. At the moment you have probably Nathan Jones as the only midfielder who would walk into most sides. As important as it is to have great defenders to stop the opposition scoring, the main defensive and offensive weapon is a hard running deep midfield.

Your mids will create defensive pressure and dictate how many opportunities Clark, Dawes and Hogan will get.

However, it is not all doom and gloom because the current list has three potential stars.

Jack Trengrove was a star leading up to the draft and I still fully believe he could become a genuine elite midfielder.

Jack Viney and Jimmy Toumpas are highly rated kids and have already shown glimpses of what they could be in the future.

Sam Blease is another. Has he been underdeveloped or is he not up to AFL level? You would love to give him the opportunity to play multiple games in a row and find out.

If the Dees were to be granted a priority pick they could address their midfield weaknesses quickly. That being the case I would look to trade either Pick 1 or 3 for the best midfielders available.

There are many talented players on the list who have not reached their potential. In no particular order they are Colin Sylvia, Jack Grimes, Aaron Davey, Mark Jamar and Luke Tapscott. Over the past two seasons we have also seen some very good games from Max Gawn, Jack Fitzpatrick, Dean Terlich and the very exciting Jeremy Howe

and then there is former No.1 draft pick Jack Watts.

I was there the day Jack played his first game. I have never seen a fanfare like it and is it any wonder he has never lived up to that hype?

"It was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever seen from a football club in handling a young football player."

( I have always said this and I couldn't agree more )

Make no mistake, the Demons need to keep hold of Watts because he is incredibly talented and still could be a star.

He needs a coach that will find a position for him, play him in that position and teach him what it takes to be a genuine AFL player.

We must also remember that even premiership teams have players that are not stars but play a role and play it well. Im sure those players exist at Melbourne.

Clearly some smart trading and drafting is needed, but if the Demons get everything right they could have a competitive team next year.

http://www.thefordhamcompany.com.au/paul-roos-herald-sun-column-22/

"From ROOS Mouth to GODS Ears"

Yes I am beginning to feel the old passion beginning to stir and I'm a Old Dee Supporter and that is Exciting believe me :cool:

"GO DEES "

Makes a lot of sense this article.

Have been quietly confident Roos wood coach since this came out. (Although Voss being sacked was a big worry!!)

Jack Watts first game was the worst & most stupid of all decisions made by "The Boys Club"

They really thought it was just going to happen with no hard work.

It's over now....Hard work is the only way, being taught correct procedure.

The only way.

• Like 2

I know these are only rumours so far but the prospects that are being put forward here are so damn exciting, i havn't been this happy with the club since... well, ever.

Coach :

Paul Roos

Assistants:

Cameron Ling

Simon Black

Tadhg Kenelly

George Stone

Leigh Tudor

Dir. Footy Ops:

Geoff Walsh

Players:

Scott Selwood

James Aish

if even some if it comes to fruition, i will be dancing in the street

As we all know though, S Selwood has 2 years to go at the Eagles and they want midfielders in the draft! They won't be wanting any of ours other than N Jones or J Viney! No way Jose!

As we all know though, S Selwood has 2 years to go at the Eagles and they want midfielders in the draft! They won't be wanting any of ours other than N Jones or J Viney! No way Jose!

if we get a PP, would we trade that for selwood?? of should we keep it for ourselves?

Edited by red and blue forever

No. I don't think the Eagles will entertain trading Selwood anyway. Remember the Mitch Brown saga last year!

I was at a party with an MFC employee last night. This person's office is next door to PJ's. I took everything he said with a grain of salt. But this is what he told me:-

* PJ is a shrewd operator and all MFC employees are having to earn his respect;

* 4 redundancy packages came across his desk on Friday for four members of our football department;

* the following companies would become involved with the club next year and bring in potentially $2 million in sponsorship - Singapore, Range Rover (how appropriate!) and Priceline;

* Roos is all but signed having met with the leadership group. The boys were like excited kids after the meeting;

* Walsh is on board. I asked why he would leave Collingwood to come to us. I was told that he didn't. Walsh left the Pies due to all the internal pressures there. Buckley likes to rule the roost. Then you have McGuire, Pert and all the other heavy hitters trying to have their two bob's worth. He said there is definitely tension inside that football club.

* Chip Frawley was not in a good head space in the middle part of the year. Injured, and unhappy with the direction of the club. The change of coach and the media beginning to ask question his standing in the game have turned him around.

* The players did not like Neeld (nothing new there);

* The club would be active in recruiting. He spruiked all the usual names. Although he did mention that we had had a chat to Scott Selwood, who is keen to come home;

* All employees at MFC have so much faith in the direction PJ is taking the club in. This person barracks for Essendon but is genuinely excited about all the changes going on at our club.

* Lastly, I found this disturbing. He told me a priority pick was all but assured, but that we wouldn't want to win today. That sounded kind of familiar. :(

Time will tell how accurate he was.

I actually heard something very similar to this a few months ago from a mate who works for Channel 7 in Perth. Make of it what you will. I hope we win today as winning is more important than anything.

And maybe, just maybe the Selwood you are thinking about is A Selwood! Who has retired and wants to return to Melbourne to live

And maybe, just maybe the Selwood you are thinking about is A Selwood! Who has retired and wants to return to Melbourne to live

Selwood retired, I hadn't read that before.

& only 13 games shy of 200 ???

maybe we could convince him to help us out for a year. whilst we teach our young squad the ways of responsible footy?

I know these are only rumours so far but the prospects that are being put forward here are so damn exciting, i havn't been this happy with the club since... well, ever.

Coach :

Paul Roos

Assistants:

Cameron Ling

Simon Black

Tadhg Kenelly

George Stone

Leigh Tudor

Dir. Footy Ops:

Geoff Walsh

who'd da thunk that ever possible ??

Kudos to PJ & co.

kudos also to the predecessors who at least opened the discussion after round 2.

doesn't look too shabby :)

Selwood retired, I hadn't read that before.

& only 13 games shy of 200 ???

maybe we could convince him to help us out for a year. whilst we teach our young squad the ways of responsible footy?

In paper today

I actually heard something very similar to this a few months ago from a mate who works for Channel 7 in Perth. Make of it what you will. I hope we win today as winning is more important than anything.

Not wanting to to hijack this thread into another debate about the priority pick but I couldn't give a stuff about it. I want to win, if that means we don't get a priority pick then so be it.

Some of the changes that are going on are genuinely exciting. The entire fabric of the club is being turned upside down and I couldn't be happier.

• Like 3

If that is the case we may be able to trade Selwood with one of our marginal players (Couch, Magner) who haven't and won't get a run at Melbourne? Win-Win.

yeah, just looked it up after your post.

they've a fine bloodline, that family...

it would be a good investment in attitudes for us,,, to convince Adam to help us, & for us to also chase Scott.

A Selwood retired because his body wasn't up to it anymore. We are chasing Taylor Adams from GWS & Swallow from Gold Coast. A Roos signing will go a long way to getting these two quality players!

I think id die of happiness if we got Scott Selwood

23 years old averages, 26 touches and 5 tackles, absolute machine who oozes leadership

Hes contracted so wed have to trade for him

Great player but 2 years left of a contract means we'll need an excavator to prise him loose from WC

• Like 1

i dont think the result of todays game has any bearing whatsoever on a PP. That will have already been decided on by the AFL and quietly conveyed to Roos .

He already knows. Vlad will not have wanted any impediments.

Edited by belzebub59
  • Like 1

i think that Andrew Gaff might be the guy thats rumored to come to the MFC

And he is only 21, but a year to go on contract!