WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

You read this?

Why Melbourne can turn it around sooner than you think, writes Paul Roos

Certainly sounds excited about our future but is he coming?

No Dees supporter could be blamed for reading into things that aren't there to convince themselves he is coming, i don't believe that is the case here though, i am more and more confident by the week that he is coming, based on articles like this, based on things people say on here, based on rumours i am hearing myself.

Get excited guys, if it's not Roos we're going to have a great coach either way.

Okay I will admit I have really doubted that Roos is intrested in the MFC posiotion but the article was intresting...

"One thing a senior coach would be looking at however before he makes the decision to take the job is stability within the football club." (was that a hint)

I love the way he sums up our situation:

Have a back line - Frawley, Garland, MacDonald etc.

Have a forward line - Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Watts, Fitzy etc.

Midfield sucks...... - Jones, Sylvia (but has some potential in Trengove, Viney Toumpas)

Once a new coach comes in and can give the group confidence and a couple already established good young mids (trade pick 1,2 or 3) the team will improve tenfold. As Roos stated it is not only offensive but also defensive where we are hurt due to our poor midfield.

"The midfield is clearly a major concern. At the moment you have probably Nathan Jones as the only midfielder who would walk into most sides. As important as it is to have great defenders to stop the opposition scoring, the main defensive and offensive weapon is a hard running deep midfield.

Your mids will create defensive pressure and dictate how many opportunities Clark, Dawes and Hogan will get.

However, it is not all doom and gloom because the current list has three potential stars."

The one thing that your comments have overlooked is the opinion of Roos on the upside potential of Watts as our most important player going forward. He believes that the football department/coaches to date have not developed him properly and hits that he is one of the keys to our future success.

I'm glad Roos already recognises the value in Trengove.

I wait with bated breath for him to prove wrong all the fools that have potted him.

His performance has been disappointing the last 2 seasons, but those who wrote him off as a consummate failure are gravely mistaken.

I potted him. And he has been an abject failure. Anyone who thinks they're getting bang for their buck from this draft pick number 2 is border-line certifiable.

But I also remember the talented junior and first year player I saw. Which is why his present poor movement, lack of instinct, lack of initiative, lack of aggression, lack of class, etc. is one of the greatest mysteries I've seen in football. And yes, everyone has an opinion as to why.

There won't be a supporter in the country who doesn't want him to be the player we envisaged. He's one of the reasons we're as crud as we are.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 5

It's that what Neeld was demanding from this group?

It's all in the way you milk the cow.

yes, apparently its how you handle it... :wub:

we are in a better shape having had Neeld even for 18 months.. he's cracked the Egg...

now it can be poached, fried, whisked whatever it needs... but you can't make anything good from a bad egg.

its now a fresh kitchen.

• Like 1

That may, or may not be Roos' error.

The amount of grammatical mistakes/typos in that article is extraordinary.

Oh dear, never grumble about grammatical errors or you'll make one yourself. I know from experience.

Amount=> Number.

I potted him. And he has been an abject failure. Anyone who thinks they're getting bang for their buck from this draft pick number 2 is border-line certifiable.

But I also remember the talented junior and first year player I saw. Which is why his present poor movement, lack of instinct, lack of initiative, lack of aggression, lack of class, etc. is one of the greatest mysteries I've seen in football. And yes, everyone has an opinion as to why.

There won't be a supporter in the country who doesn't want him to be the player we envisaged. He's one of the reasons we're as crud as we are.

Nathan Jones?

The article was a statement confirming almost everything that I have been hearing. He has stated clearly what needs to happen for him to take the job. He seemed confident that we will get PP at #1 (interesting), the importance of Watts and essentially outlined his 100 day plan. (I am also told Watts signature depends on Roos signature.)

Roos again could have added a couple of paragraphs saying that although the coaching job was tempting and he believed we had the foundations of a good team, due to family reasons, and media commitments he was unable to take the offer, but in his opinion ........... or ........... had the right skill set and should be pursued.

The facts are he again had a perfect opportunity to politely let us down. BUT HE DID NOT.

Clearly this is an open letter to members, board members and the AFL of what his requirements are. He wants to coach us, but these things are non negotiable.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 5

The article was a statement confirming almost everything that I have been hearing. He has stated clearly what needs to happen for him to take the job. He seemed confident that we would get PP at #1 (interesting), the importance of Watts and essentially outlined his 100 day plan. (I am also told Watts signature depends on Roos signature.)

Roos again could have added a couple or paragraphs saying that although the coaching job was tempting and he believed we had the foundations of a good team, due to family reasons, and media commitments he was unable to take the offer, but in his opinion ........... or ........... had the right skill set and should be pursued.

The facts are he again had a perfect opportunity to politely let us down. BUT HE DID NOT.

This was an open letter to members, and board members and the AFL of what his requirements were for him to become coach.

Really appreciate the insight you give on here mate, give me alot more confidence that things are getting better for us as a club, so in your opinion Watts will walk if we signed Choco for example?

The one thing that your comments have overlooked is the opinion of Roos on the upside potential of Watts as our most important player going forward. He believes that the football department/coaches to date have not developed him properly and hits that he is one of the keys to our future success.

I dont think he quite said that he was our most important player going forward but he did say that we need to hold on to him because he still has potential.

"... and then there is former No.1 draft pick Jack Watts.

I was there the day Jack played his first game. I have never seen a fanfare like it and is it any wonder he has never lived up to that hype?

It was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever seen from a football club in handling a young football player.

Make no mistake, the Demons need to keep hold of Watts because he is incredibly talented and still could be a star.

He needs a coach that will find a position for him, play him in that position and teach him what it takes to be a genuine AFL player.

We must also remember that even premiership teams have players that are not stars but play a role and play it well."

Here's a different spin on Roos' article. It is part of his interview process with Peter Jackson, given that Jackson pitched to him on the Monday night via On the Couch.

Just so they don't waste time down the track. Brilliant! They are using the media to conduct the interview process! :)

• Like 2