Don McLardy resigns

titan_uranus

MELBOURNE president Don McLardy has resigned.

The Demons boss stepped down at a club board meeting this afternoon. Vice-president Peter Spargo will serve as interim president.

Board member Geoff Freeman, who has been struggling with his health, remains the front-runner to take the position long-term but is yet to commit.

Freeman will travel overseas in the coming weeks and decide if he wants the job.

The Demons have embarked on a review led by John Trotter into reshaping the club's board.

McLardy took over as Melbourne president during Jim Stynes' battle with cancer in February last year.

He endured 18-months of on and off-field failures headed by the AFL tanking investigation.

Poor crowd projections, payouts to key staff and revenue shortfalls see the Dees facing a $5 million black hole over the next two years.

McLardy's departure comes just weeks after the sacking of chief executive Cameron Schwab.

McLardy and new CEO Peter Jackson fronted the AFL Commission today to outline a case for emergency funding.

The club will confirm McLardy's resignation at a press conference later today.

Peter Spargo....Interim

I know there's a lot of angst around the club because of the way the team's performing at the moment but I think we should give Don a vote of thanks for being there for the club when Jimmy became ill, for standing with him and then for taking over in such difficult times.

I hope history judges him kindly in that light.

As for Peter, he's now the "Interim Man" - twice had the gig and I'm sure he hopes he won't hold it for too long and that we get a stable and strong leadership to take us into the future.

• Like 25

He tried hard but was better as a behind the scenes man and a president to hold the fort while Jimma was fighting his own battle. Thanks for the service Don.

MELBOURNE president Don McLardy has resigned.

The Demons boss stepped down at a club board meeting this afternoon. Vice-president Peter Spargo will serve as interim president.

Board member Geoff Freeman, who has been struggling with his health, remains the front-runner to take the position long-term but is yet to commit.

Freeman will travel overseas in the coming weeks and decide if he wants the job.

The Demons have embarked on a review led by John Trotter into reshaping the club's board.

McLardy took over as Melbourne president during Jim Stynes' battle with cancer in February last year.

He endured 18-months of on and off-field failures headed by the AFL tanking investigation.

Poor crowd projections, payouts to key staff and revenue shortfalls see the Dees facing a $5 million black hole over the next two years.

McLardy's departure comes just weeks after the sacking of chief executive Cameron Schwab.

McLardy and new CEO Peter Jackson fronted the AFL Commission today to outline a case for emergency funding.

The club will confirm McLardy's resignation at a press conference later today.

Thanks for that.

This worries me though

Board member Geoff Freeman, who has been struggling with his health, remains the front-runner to take the position long-term but is yet to commit. Freeman will travel overseas in the coming weeks and decide if he wants the job.

It is a shame that this restructure did not occur before the Club meekly accepted a half million dollar fine for bringing the AFL into disrepute (after being found innocent of tanking)! We need a strong board and a powerhouse chairman (even if that means Kennett in the interim)!

Well good news. Looking forward to new leadership and a step in the right direction.

Just want to say thanks to Don for his time as President. He saw some extremely tough times and I suspect he was never really keen on the Presidency. Appreciate all your work Don.

• Like 1

Don should be applauded for putting the interests of the club first. Despite what we might think of the Governance of the club in recent years, he has made a contribution and is now doing the right thing by the club by stepping aside.

• Like 6

Thanks for that.

This worries me though

Board member Geoff Freeman, who has been struggling with his health, remains the front-runner to take the position long-term but is yet to commit. Freeman will travel overseas in the coming weeks and decide if he wants the job.

Yes the Health of Geoff Freeman bothers me...i first read it a few weeks back.

We need strength not more health scares...no offense Geoff at all.

• Like 2

Thank you Don for stepping up in what was a terrible time for our club. It's a shame things have spiraled out of control during your time, but I know your intentions were always good and you will continue to love this club.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 3

Yes the Health of Geoff Freeman bothers me...i first read it a few weeks back. We need strength not more health scares...no offense Geoff at all.

As well as the health, the fact that he needs time away to decide whether he wants the position or not is not good news for me. We don't want someone going into the role half heartedly.

• Like 1

As well as the health, the fact that he needs time away to decide whether he wants the position or not is not good news for me. We don't want someone going into the role half heartedly.

somone considering if they want the role or not to me is 10000% better than someone who just wants it for ego....

• Like 1