Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE DRAFT: TAC CUP FUTURE STARS ROLLING DRAFT

That's a pretty extreme example. We need mids, not forwards. If the top few best players are forwards then we'd be better off trading the pick for an established midfielder.

You don't trade a top pick for an established mid, a quality established mid like Griffin or Fyfe probably but a player of that class won't be offered. The GWS mini draft proved that.

It's pointless having a great forward line if there isn't anybody that can get the ball to them.

Well at the moment we are far from having a great forward line, but anyway this is all supposition at the moment. We don't know what picks we have and we don't know who will be available to us and where they are rated but if Boyd is the best available to us then I think we would be stupid not to give him serious consideration. I know we need mids and argued the case last year when we picked up Hogan in the mini draft, I'm happy we did now.

Well at the moment we are far from having a great forward line, but anyway this is all supposition at the moment. We don't know what picks we have and we don't know who will be available to us and where they are rated but if Boyd is the best available to us then I think we would be stupid not to give him serious consideration. I know we need mids and argued the case last year when we picked up Hogan in the mini draft, I'm happy we did now.

With Watts having a pretty good game up forward on the weekend, I think many would like to see him stay there. Add in Hogan, Dawes, Clark and Howe plus a resting ruckman and there isn't much space remaining for talls. I think if we are going to go for a forward we'll be moving on Watts during trade week, otherwise we'll be getting mids mids mids (which I'd prefer).

GWS TRADES NO.1 pick to MELBOURNE for pick NO.2 plus one of the following (maybe 2,3,4,5,6 who cares) RODAN,SELLAR,BYRNES,JAMAR,BAIL,GILLIES,T.MAC possibly SPENCER

DEES MUST GET BOYD...........A STANDOUT.

IF WE GET PICK A CONSOLATION 100 plus for SYLVIA goodie gum drops.

I noted today in the AGE the comparison between the recruiting of St Kilda compared to Geelong. Makes interesting reading and proves that Geelong are the masters of identifying talent. St KIlda have retained 5 out of 24 recruits since the 2008 season at a 20% retention rate, on the other hand Geelong is at 80 % and there are mainly in the 20 to 40 draft pick range. It makes a mockery of the value of top 10 picks and some of the heat our recruiters share should be sent to the Saints. Note that over the 4 years (08-11) there were NO trades for recycled players by Geelong. Recommend looking at the table and the names and the time frame in which they develop

surely culture & development. & the type of player for game scenario.

I like the cats big man, big game, style... strong heavy bodies. very robust, & imo simple.

I figured some of the rankings here are quite shocking, especially Terry Wallace (the former Tambling selector). Anyway let's start.

Dominic SHEED: Is not as good or as high as some consider, good but not a top 3 or 5 pick he will likely end up just outside that. He had a fantastic game against the divion 2 NT with 34 disposals but had a stinker vs the Division 1 Vic Metro. Josh KELLY ran rings around him.

James AISH: I find him quite interesting, unfortunately since he was aged 15-16 he has had people label him as the "future number 1 draft pick" which in turn has caught media attention and blinded people's judgements. Without a doubt the kid can play, he has fantastic awareness and moves wonderfully. Although his light frame will be an issue and I can't see him gaining mass anytime soon or quickly after joining an AFL team. I also found it very intriguing that in round 3 of the championships he got tagged out the game, limited to 14 disposals - the 5th lowest for his team. Whilst Luke DUNSTAN went on a contested possessions rampage.

Luke DUNSTAN: I won't lie, he is my favorite of the draft. He is already built, tough as nails and will slot perfectly into any AFL midfield. An ideal fit for the dees to improve our contested possession count (excellent partner for Viney too). He moves well and covers the ground nicely, has good hands, is a tackling machine, gets plenty of his own ball generating clearance after clearances.

In relation to my top three (for the Dees) I would select DUNSTAN first and throw up between BOYD and AISH at two (if we get a concession pick). DUNSTAN will go in as that contested possession winner, in and under player while Aish would be your dish out I50 bloke (similar to J Kennedy and K Jack of Sydney). As for Boyd I just lick the lips of thinking about him and Hogan, but we already have Dawes, Clark and Watts (if he stays) within that list of tall forwards. At picks 4,5, and 6 I would have KELLY, SHARENBERG, and BILLINGS (no particular order).

• Like 5

I figured some of the rankings here are quite shocking, especially Terry Wallace (the former Tambling selector). Anyway let's start.

Dominic SHEED: Is not as good or as high as some consider, good but not a top 3 or 5 pick he will likely end up just outside that. He had a fantastic game against the divion 2 NT with 34 disposals but had a stinker vs the Division 1 Vic Metro. Josh KELLY ran rings around him.

James AISH: I find him quite interesting, unfortunately rtunately since he was aged 15-16 he has had people label him as the "future number 1 draft pick" which in turn has caught media attention and blinded people's judgements. Without a doubt the kid can play, he has fantastic awareness and moves wonderfully. Although his light frame will be an issue and I can't see him gaining mass anytime soon or quickly after joining an AFL team. I also found it very intriguing that in round 3 of the championships he got tagged out the game, limited to 14 disposals - the 5th lowest for his team. Whilst Luke DUNSTAN went on a contested possessions rampage.

Luke DUNSTAN: I won't lie, he is my favorite of the draft. He is already built, tough as nails and will slot perfectly into any AFL midfield. An ideal fit for the dees to improve our contested possession count (excellent partner for Viney too). He moves well and covers the ground nicely, has good hands, is a tackling machine, gets plenty of his own ball generating clearance after clearances.

In relation to my top three (for the Dees) I would select DUNSTAN first and throw up between BOYD and AISH at two (if we get a concession pick). DUNSTAN will go in as that contested possession winner, in and under player while Aish would be your dish out I50 bloke (similar to J Kennedy and K Jack of Sydney). As for Boyd I just lick the lips of thinking about him and Hogan, but we already have Dawes, Clark and Watts (if he stays) within that list of tall forwards. At picks 4,5, and 6 I would have KELLY, SHARENBERG, and BILLINGS (no particular order).

Watts wants to stay and so he should. We would look extra stupid dispensing of our sole remaining No. 1draft pick after what we have just gone through and then holding our hands out for a priority pick! (Extra stupid after dispensing with Morton, Cook, Gysberts and McClean and Scully walking out on us!)

Watts wants to stay and so he should. We would look extra stupid dispensing of our sole remaining No. 1draft pick after what we have just gone through and then holding our hands out for a priority pick! (Extra stupid after dispensing with Morton, Cook, Gysberts and McClean and Scully walking out on us!)

The number a player was drafted at should have no bearing on the way we treat that player after they have been drafted. Morton, Cook and Gysberts are still yet to play another senior game of AFL since departing us, and Cook is only playing for North Ballarat, not even on a senior AFL list. Only McLean and Scully walked out, and that hasn't necessarily been a big loss for us. Though McLean got us Gysberts and now Gysberts has gotten us Pedersen (a bit of a failure so far), the compensation picks for Scully enabled us to swing some trades that got us Hogan, Barry, Dawes and Viney. The loss of Scully has been a great benefit to the club.

We should ensure that we retain Watts because he is a unique player in the league with the foot and hand skills of a midfielder, a continually developing body, elite speed, and a very versatile 195cm player of which there are few in the league. Also, the fact that he has really shown something in the last 12 months, means we should make sure we keep a guy who has already indicated he wants to be here.

• Like 2

James AISH: I find him quite interesting, unfortunately rtunately since he was aged 15-16 he has had people label him as the "future number 1 draft pick" which in turn has caught media attention and blinded people's judgements. Without a doubt the kid can play, he has fantastic awareness and moves wonderfully. Although his light frame will be an issue and I can't see him gaining mass anytime soon or quickly after joining an AFL team. I also found it very intriguing that in round 3 of the championships he got tagged out the game, limited to 14 disposals - the 5th lowest for his team. Whilst Luke DUNSTAN went on a contested possessions rampage.

Hey mate, what are your views on Scharenberg? There are some comparisons going around to Fyfe but bigger. Certainly sounds a talent and may come under consideration if we aquire two high picks, but I'm a bit apprehensive about using such a high pick on a player that plays predominantly as a flanker.

The number a player was drafted at should have no bearing on the way we treat that player after they have been drafted. Morton, Cook and Gysberts are still yet to play another senior game of AFL since departing us, and Cook is only playing for North Ballarat, not even on a senior AFL list. Only McLean and Scully walked out, and that hasn't necessarily been a big loss for us. Though McLean got us Gysberts and now Gysberts has gotten us Pedersen (a bit of a failure so far), the compensation picks for Scully enabled us to swing some trades that got us Hogan, Barry, Dawes and Viney. The loss of Scully has been a great benefit to the club.

We should ensure that we retain Watts because he is a unique player in the league with the foot and hand skills of a midfielder, a continually developing body, elite speed, and a very versatile 195cm player of which there are few in the league. Also, the fact that he has really shown something in the last 12 months, means we should make sure we keep a guy who has already indicated he wants to be here.

They said on the radio the other day they have lost patience with Morton over there and he will be playing reserves in the WAFL because his form isn't good enough for the firsts.

Boy has he fallen from grace.

They said on the radio the other day they have lost patience with Morton over there and he will be playing reserves in the WAFL because his form isn't good enough for the firsts.

Boy has he fallen from grace.

I was at the East Freo vs East Perth game the other day Robbie & he was terrible, turned the ball over a lot, failed to go hard at contests and yes will be lucky not to be in the two's very soon. The East Perth fans are not happy with him he is there whipping boy!

I was at the East Freo vs East Perth game the other day Robbie & he was terrible, turned the ball over a lot, failed to go hard at contests and yes will be lucky not to be in the two's very soon. The East Perth fans are not happy with him he is there whipping boy!

Apperently he was pretty close to playing against essendon tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...

The latest version of the TAC Cup Future Stars top 10:-

1. GWS TOM BOYD (Eastern Ranges)

2. Melbourne JOSH KELLY (Sandringham Dragons)

3. St. Kilda MATT SCHARENBERG (South Australia)

4. W Bulldogs JACK BILLINGS (Oakleigh Chargers)

5. Gold Coast JAMES AISH (South Australia)

6. Brisbane LEWIS TAYLOR (Geelong Falcons)

7. North Melbourne LUKE MCDONALD (Oakleigh Chargers F/S)

8. Gold Coast DOM SHEED (Western Australia)

9. Carlton BEN LENNON (Northern Knights)

10. GWS Giants KOBE KOLODJASHNIJ (Tasmania)

Has anyone got any footage of Nathan Freeman?

He is a midfielder with a good frame and pace to burn. Currently 182cms and 85kgs. He's been likened to Dangerfield in his gamestyle, with the bursting away from stoppages as his strength. Needs to improve his hands in congestion and work more on his spread to get some easier ball outside, but is always involved at the stoppages and explosive bursting away from them. He's solid already, and on top of his clearance work, he likes to hit the scoreboard too, often after a run streaming into 50.

He's clearly got a lot of upside and may be one of the bolters as the draft draws closer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late with this but I've just caught up with my week's viewing of stuff on the Foxtel IQ. Last Sunday's TAC Cup Future Stars went beyond a top ten and listed their top 18 being the first round based on the then ladder positions. For some reason Luke Dunstan is out of favour. He's not only fallen out of the top ten but he's also out of the first round* altogether:-

1. GWS TOM BOYD (Eastern Ranges)

2. Melbourne JOSH KELLY (Sandringham Dragons)

3. St. Kilda JAMES AISH (South Australia)

4. W Bulldogs MATT SCHARENBERG (South Australia) (5)

5. Gold Coast DOM SHEED (Western Australia)

6. Brisbane JACK BILLINGS (Oakleigh Chargers)

7. North Melbourne LUKE MCDONALD (Oakleigh Chargers F/S)

8. West Coast LEWIS TAYLOR (Geelong Falcons)

9. Carlton JONATHON MARSH (Western Australia)

10. GWS Giants KOBE KOLODJASHNIJ (Tasmania)

11. PORT ADELAIDE MATT CROUCH (North Ballarat)

12. COLLINGWOOD BEN LENNON (Northern Knights)

13. RICHMOND BILLY HARTUNG (Dandenong Stingrays)

14. FREMANTLE DARCY GARDNER (Geelong Falcons)

15. SYDNEY SWANS NATHAN FREEMAN (Sandringham Dragons)

16. ESSENDON CHRISTIAN SALEM (Sandringham Dragons)

17. GEELONG ZAC MERRETT (Sandringham Dragons)

18. HAWTHORN JARMAN IMPEY (Murray Bushrangers)

* Adelaide are out because of the Tippett penalty while Essendon also faces loss of draft picks if they receive an adverse outcome from the ASADA investigation.

Sorry I'm late with this but I've just caught up with my week's viewing of stuff on the Foxtel IQ. Last Sunday's TAC Cup Future Stars went beyond a top ten and listed their top 18 being the first round based on the then ladder positions. For some reason Luke Dunstan is out of favour. He's not only fallen out of the top ten but he's also out of the first round* altogether:-

The knocks appear to be on Dunstan's pace and a question on how much development is in left in him. It seems that most clubs are looking at more pace in their midfielders this year. It shouldn't be discounted for us either. I immaediately think of Trengove struggling to keep up with the contest and move around the ground with any great pace for the better part of two years.

Like Wines he has a man's build, which won't be a competitive advantage at senior level but helps. He doesn't spread from the contest quite as well as Wines did at the same stage in their development. His left foot reminds me a bit of Tappy's (not quite as powerful), just gives it a thump.

Dunstan's been doing very well in Woodville WT's reserves team and must be close to a senior call up. He'll move back up the rankings if he plays well for WWT's senior team and can allay some of those concerns. Someone will get a massive discount if he gets to the second round.

Agree chaserj, I think Dunstan has less scope than say freeman, Lennon or crouch.having said that, we are very quick to harshly judge 17-18 year olds. I think trengove is a classic example of a player who really suffers from not having done solid preseason training for a few years. I use montagna last season, Joel Corey a few seasons ago, bernie vince and van berlo recently, Kerr.. The speed in which the game is played, the rotations and the stoppages, you can't thrive without a preseason in the season proper. I hope for his sake that he gets a chance soon.

I'm really warming to freeman if he slips. He has a ready built physique, terrific skills and reads the play from stoppages well. He and aish hopefully find there way to Melbourne, as in my opinion aish is the best mid in this draft and has a huge ceiling for the future.

Agree chaserj, I think Dunstan has less scope than say freeman, Lennon or crouch.having said that, we are very quick to harshly judge 17-18 year olds. I think trengove is a classic example of a player who really suffers from not having done solid preseason training for a few years. I use montagna last season, Joel Corey a few seasons ago, bernie vince and van berlo recently, Kerr.. The speed in which the game is played, the rotations and the stoppages, you can't thrive without a preseason in the season proper. I hope for his sake that he gets a chance soon.

I'm really warming to freeman if he slips. He has a ready built physique, terrific skills and reads the play from stoppages well. He and aish hopefully find there way to Melbourne, as in my opinion aish is the best mid in this draft and has a huge ceiling for the future.

I agree with you on all of those points. JT would have to have had a form of OP. It's not like he didn't have any pace when he was drafted (above average), but he's really struggling with his acceleration and not sure about his core strength these days (from memory he ran a 3.01 time for his 20m sprint at the DC).

I'm on the Aish train all the way. His feel for the game is a level above most others in the draft, and I also believe that he has a higher ceiling than this years midfield group (which I still rate as pretty good). Billings would be right up there, but just would have loved him to have been fit enough to play more in midfield this season.

Freeman's interesting. I've heard a lot about his ability to burst from packs, and he appears to have a good body for inside work already. Perhaps not the best decision maker, but there's a bit of good noise about him. I've been wanting to get to a few TAC Cup games, he might be another reason to get to a Sandringham game(they've got a few prospects this year!) .