Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE DRAFT: TAC CUP FUTURE STARS ROLLING DRAFT

1 GWS James Aish
2 MEL Dominic Sheed
3 WB Tom Boyd
4 STK Luke Dunstan
5 SUNS Matt Crouch
6 BRIS Matt Scharenberg
7 WC Josh Kelly
8 KANGAS Luke McDonald *
9 Port Luke Billings
10 Carl Marco Bontempelli

Sheed fits all Melbourne's requirements... a leader, skilled, tough, ballwinner, inside mid, good pace, tackles hard, smart. Has STAR potential.

1 GWS James Aish

2 MEL Dominic Sheed

3 WB Tom Boyd

4 STK Luke Dunstan

5 SUNS Matt Crouch

6 BRIS Matt Scharenberg

7 WC Josh Kelly

8 KANGAS Luke McDonald *

9 Port Luke Billings

Sheed fits all Melbourne's requirements... a leader, skilled, tough, ballwinner, inside mid, good pace, tackles hard, smart. Has STAR potential.

Not even close, there is no way Dunstan is ahead of Kelly or Scharenberg, I also doubt very much that Sheed will be. GWS or us are not going to gift Boyd to the dogs. The only one I reckon you might be close with is McDonald to North.

• Like 1

1 GWS James Aish

2 MEL Dominic Sheed

3 WB Tom Boyd

4 STK Luke Dunstan

5 SUNS Matt Crouch

6 BRIS Matt Scharenberg

7 WC Josh Kelly

8 KANGAS Luke McDonald *

9 Port Luke Billings

Gee, that is a shocking attempt at a top ten, is that Wallace mock? Surely not.

The knocks appear to be on Dunstan's pace and a question on how much development is in left in him. It seems that most clubs are looking at more pace in their midfielders this year. It shouldn't be discounted for us either. I immaediately think of Trengove struggling to keep up with the contest and move around the ground with any great pace for the better part of two years.

Like Wines he has a man's build, which won't be a competitive advantage at senior level but helps. He doesn't spread from the contest quite as well as Wines did at the same stage in their development. His left foot reminds me a bit of Tappy's (not quite as powerful), just gives it a thump.

Dunstan's been doing very well in Woodville WT's reserves team and must be close to a senior call up. He'll move back up the rankings if he plays well for WWT's senior team and can allay some of those concerns. Someone will get a massive discount if he gets to the second round.

Mitchell or Sewell aren't quick either. They still dominate. It's whether he can win consistent contested footy that concerns me.

I think that in every draft there is a few selected in the top 20 that just don't make the grade

Every club has selected them although the media like to point out Richmond or Melbourne whenever they make a point

Here are 3 #1 draft picks

Lounder , (4 games)

Hooper , (21 games

Hutton (36 for 3 clubs)

All we can hope for is we don't select one of them

I think our last flop was Lucas Cook

When you draft a player at pick 1 or thereabouts you would be hopeful that such a player should be a long term player who plays in your senior team at a better than average AFL level as a minimum expectation

If your club consistently gets it wrong you need to get rid of those who make such errors

It is interesting that most concentrate on who will go first when we should be giving equal attention on who is drafted later

There has been some amazing Draft Smokies over the years and at every draft some club finds one or more

This upcoming draft looks like a Midfield heavy draft

Its exactly why we need to make the most of our current picks and if possible increase them by trading some players for some round 3 plus picks as the players worth higher than that are not trade-able

I realize you wont get every pick right but why would you keep a player on your list that is NQR when the opportunity to get someone better is unknown

Adam Maric , Brad Miller , Ricky Pettard , Cale Morton , Kyle Cheney , Simon Buckley , Stefan Martin , Jordan Gysberts are names of former demons that moved to higher on the ladder AFL clubs

Some of these players we could be forgiven in thinking that nobody will be interested in them but it did happen

Irrespective if you think they were NQR players or not its Melbourne that made the call on their career with us as an opportunity to better our list

We continually shoot ourselves in the foot

Cam Pederson is my example

giving such players more than a one year contract is irresponsible and those who make those decisions should be moved on

One wonders what we are going to do with Rodan, Gillies , Byrnes and Sellar as they are not exactly setting the world on fire and they are even struggling to even get a senior game

In hindsight what the recruiters have done is simply added a few players to play at Casey and not Melbourne

I find it so frustrating that we seem to keep far too many list cloggers

For those who think anyone drafted after 100 is always going to be a dud needs to be reminded that Chris Grant was selected at 105

We continually shoot ourselves in the foot

Cam Pederson is my example

giving such players more than a one year contract is irresponsible and those who make those decisions should be moved on

One wonders what we are going to do with Rodan, Gillies , Byrnes and Sellar as they are not exactly setting the world on fire and they are even struggling to even get a senior game

In hindsight what the recruiters have done is simply added a few players to play at Casey and not Melbourne

I find it so frustrating that we seem to keep far too many list cloggers

For those who think anyone drafted after 100 is always going to be a dud needs to be reminded that Chris Grant was selected at 105

• Cam Pederson on 3 years was a poor decision. Unsure why we went so hard for him since we secured both Dawes and Hogan in the same trade period. I guess Neeld was writing off Watts and Fitzpatrick.
  • Rodan, Gillies and Sellar will all be delisted at the end of the year, Byrnes has one more season to go and will be delisted then.
  • In my opinion it is highly unlikely we will attract a high profile player via trade or free agency. I wouldn't be opposed to offering 2 year contracts to players many have suggested on here like Viv Michie, Anthony Miles, Mitch Hallahan and Shane Savage (although he is getting games now). Midfield types on the cusp of their teams best 22 that may want to leave for greater opportunity and wouldn't be expensive to get via trade. However, I have no idea if they will add to our midfield engine, or end up as the Casey support squad. Above all else, we need a Geelong 2007 moment where the whole group mentally decide to pull the finger out.
  • Like 1

The knocks appear to be on Dunstan's pace and a question on how much development is in left in him. It seems that most clubs are looking at more pace in their midfielders this year. It shouldn't be discounted for us either. I immaediately think of Trengove struggling to keep up with the contest and move around the ground with any great pace for the better part of two years.

Like Wines he has a man's build, which won't be a competitive advantage at senior level but helps. He doesn't spread from the contest quite as well as Wines did at the same stage in their development. His left foot reminds me a bit of Tappy's (not quite as powerful), just gives it a thump.

Dunstan's been doing very well in Woodville WT's reserves team and must be close to a senior call up. He'll move back up the rankings if he plays well for WWT's senior team and can allay some of those concerns. Someone will get a massive discount if he gets to the second round.

May need to consider the game evolving again with the reduction in interchange, players with endurance will come back into vogue. Fast impact players who rotate a lot will IMO have less impact.

• Like 1

May need to consider the game evolving again with the reduction in interchange, players with endurance will come back into vogue. Fast impact players who rotate a lot will IMO have less impact.

Agree with the evolving game but I think we got caught out a bit last time trying to pick winners (players to suit a CS game style). I think we just get the best footballers and the rest takes care of itself. Some of the real gems like Sam Mitchell are just the best footballers.

On another subject 'Pennant', I've been meaning to ask if you have seen much or have and opinion on Sheed. He certainly had a good carnival up to the injury but before that his ranking was down the list a bit. What's the WA wisdom on him, has he been playing any senior football and is he likely to get some more football in before the seasons out?

Agree with the evolving game but I think we got caught out a bit last time trying to pick winners (players to suit a CS game style). I think we just get the best footballers and the rest takes care of itself. Some of the real gems like Sam Mitchell are just the best footballers.

On another subject 'Pennant', I've been meaning to ask if you have seen much or have and opinion on Sheed. He certainly had a good carnival up to the injury but before that his ranking was down the list a bit. What's the WA wisdom on him, has he been playing any senior football and is he likely to get some more football in before the seasons out?

I seen him once in the seniors earlier in the year and he didn't really stand out, although he held his own against men. One thing of note was he was very good in tight for such a young player but he was playing in a really bad midfield. He just looked okay but he did not turn the ball over and with some better quality outside could be useful,.

I was impressed with him in the carnival and was itching to see him again, but the collarbone has set that back and TBH Subiaco are not in finals contention and Sheed will go first round and I guess they will put him in cotton wool for the remainder of the season.

If I'm honest he didn't do anything in the game I saw him to make me say yes he is going to be a gun, having said that Stephen Hill, Dustin Martin, Ollie Wines are examples of kids who just get better as the year goes on.

What I was saying about the change of rotations is pretty much something we need to consider if we think about targeting players with pace, for me I would always target hard nut players and I am not talking about people who lay heavy hits I am talking about Selwood, Hodge & Hannebury types who go in where it hurts and always put there bodies on the line. We made the mistake previously targeting the likes of Morton, Gysberts, Strauss and Blease, lets not go down that path again

I seen him once in the seniors earlier in the year and he didn't really stand out, although he held his own against men. One thing of note was he was very good in tight for such a young player but he was playing in a really bad midfield. He just looked okay but he did not turn the ball over and with some better quality outside could be useful,.

I was impressed with him in the carnival and was itching to see him again, but the collarbone has set that back and TBH Subiaco are not in finals contention and Sheed will go first round and I guess they will put him in cotton wool for the remainder of the season.

If I'm honest he didn't do anything in the game I saw him to make me say yes he is going to be a gun, having said that Stephen Hill, Dustin Martin, Ollie Wines are examples of kids who just get better as the year goes on.

What I was saying about the change of rotations is pretty much something we need to consider if we think about targeting players with pace, for me I would always target hard nut players and I am not talking about people who lay heavy hits I am talking about Selwood, Hodge & Hannebury types who go in where it hurts and always put there bodies on the line. We made the mistake previously targeting the likes of Morton, Gysberts, Strauss and Blease, lets not go down that path again

Thanks for the feedback 'Pennent'; on another thread I mentioned that we often judge players like Toumpas, Aish & Trengove playing in good senior teams and we might over rate them. I thought a better gauge might how some perform who don't have the advantage of a good senior team around them. If Sheed is holding his own in a poor midfield then he steps up a notch in my estimation, in the game I watched he seemed good in tight but I don't remember him getting the ball out to advantage on occasions. One look is not enough, hopefully we have the right people in recruiting for us now and they have a good handle on who is our best available.

I agree with you on the other, the players you mention are all good hard at it footballers first and foremost. We need those type of players.

Need to start looking at Tom Shanahan from East Perth with one of our late picks or Rookie at least. Spoke about him last week and in heavy conditions on Saturday was BOG in the Colts with 31 disposals. Starting to generate interest and Lions scout was there on Saturday and can't confirm it but may have spoken to him.

How would people feel about us using pick 2 on Dom Sheed? to me he is a very complete player, would add an extractor to our midfield along with Dunstan if he falls to pick 20.

I'd rather pick him up in the second round if available which may be wishful thinking.

I'd rather pick him up in the second round if available which may be wishful thinking.

No way in the world sheed goes anywhere but top 10 mate :/ would love to get him second round but i can't see that happening.

• 2 weeks later...

They probably ran out of time because in the latest version of the TAC Cup Future Stars top 10, they took their WIPE OFF FIVE message literally and turned it into a top 5:-

1. GWS TOM BOYD (Eastern Ranges)

2. Melbourne JAMES AISH (South Australia)

3. St. Kilda JOSH KELLY (Sandringham Dragons)

4. W Bulldogs MATT SCHARENBERG (South Australia)

5. Gold Coast JACK BILLINGS (Oakleigh Chargers)

I saw a few of the TAC games.

Jack Billings really impressed me. Not that it means a Rats tossbag.

But had all the skills, good o/head mark , kicks and tackles well, reads the play well and spreads when needed.

I saw a few of the TAC games.

Jack Billings really impressed me. Not that it means a Rats tossbag.

But had all the skills, good o/head mark , kicks and tackles well, reads the play well and spreads when needed.

He is a very good player 'Chippy' as are the other 4 on the list. It will be interesting to see what picks we end up with and who we take.

I think so much comes down to our potential priority pick, i'd be shocked if we don't get one in some way, not convinced that will include pick 1 maybe picks 2&3

would be surprised if we didn't take Aish at 2, wouldn't be against pulling the trigger early on Crouch with 3 or just taking Scharenberg

Luke Dunstan may well meet the requirements for this model. He's now played 2 games in the Eagles seniors and performed well. Backing up from 22 touches in his first game, Dunstan's line from the weekend read:18 touches, 7 marks, 3 clearances, 3 goals. Have read about how Dunstan can impact the game up whilst 'resting' forward. Impressed to see him take that capability into the seniors.

Dunstan's prospect status had drifted post championship, to the extent that he was likely to available at our second round selection. I expect it to rise again if he continues to perform for the WWT's senior team. WWT have qualified for the finals, so he could have a big finish to the season.

Edited by ChaserJ