My take on the MFC.. and the past two years..

Grimseyisgod

My take is..

At the start of 2012 i thought Melbourne were in really good shape and could seriously start doing some damage in the AFL. Since than, we have seen one game where from start to finish we have dominated. (GWS 2012). In 2011 we did that more than 3 times. From 2011 to 2012 our list barely changed, infact it got stronger, so clearly what was being done was wrong.

It is my belief that Mark Neeld is the reason why Melbourne is suffering, his tactics and coaching has been an absolute cancer to the club. He has not only made the fans suffer but he has made the players suffer. Clearly something is wrong when Brent Moloney wants out, a guy that would absolutely die for the club. His recruiting has been interesting, i like the fact we now have Dawes and Clark. The drafting has been very promising also.

It is of my belief though, it is Neeld NOT THE PLAYERS. Although the players are somewhat to blame, they are not the problem. Clearly the game plan Neeld has adopted is absolute rubbish considering he loves the defensive side of the game. Than why the hell do we concede 100 points each week?????

And yes, i understand we are inexperienced, but for a team with such talent and skill, how do we look like we lack skill every week? it just doesnt make any sense to me. What is also annoying is currently we have Colin Sylvia (SUSPENDED), Jack Grimes, Mitch Clark, soon to be James Frawley, Jack Viney, Jimmy Toumpas, Barely Watts this year and half fit Trengove. It's just hard playing with half a list each week.

My take is that we should bring in a coach who is serious about getting wins with the list we have, not just the future. Because do you want to know something, if you the players get enough wins and some confidence, the future will be real. Rather than planning for a future that never comes, because players hate losing and will just eventually leave. Keep Peter Jackson and for god sake spend some money on a midfielder this year and free agency PLEASE

go dees

• Like 3

I find Neeld's vision to be ambitious, and on par with the vision Schwab and co had -- the "Red and Blueprint".

Unfortunately, I fail to comprehend how a rebuild, even one as a rebuild of a rebuild, can be to the level it is.

The club has risked, not only onfield pain, but off-field pain, for what it hopes will be "sustained success". In a grand of view of sustained success, the club has been brought to arguably its lowest point yet. I'd argue it is the lowest point, simply because the club is arguably below GWS (there is NOTHING to suggest GWS is behind Melbourne in development).

He came in saying there would be paid, but 100-point losses every week pain? I can't cop that.

• Like 1

Malthouse on radio last week (I think it was) was asked about injuries, and his answer is I think applicable to all that we say about list refurbishment. He said "I never talk about the injuries. I don't think it helps at all. I want every one of the 22 who run out for us to believe that they are in our best 22 - they are the players who are going to win it for us." Words to that effect, anyway.

That's a winner talking. It's about belief. it's about today, with no excuses. Supporters can go with that sort of thinking. Yet here we are, arguing over who to blame, and nobody talking positive about what our 22 are capable of.

The thing that frustrated me most at the game yesterday was seeing Jack Watts taking up a position 25 metres from the goal line when our full-back kicked in - presumably to be there for the quick kick coming back in. I've seen Watts used like this before. If it's Neeld's idea, see you later Neeld; if it's Watts' idea, what's wrong with Neeld that he hasn't told him to cut it out? Watts is a marking target, but there he is positioned out of the play, insurance against a turnover. And, in close, I love Watts' second and third efforts - he has always been cool and accurate in a scrimmage when he's involved.

So, what's with the negativity?

That's my take on the last two years. I'm ready for belief.

Edited by robbiefrom13

I believe it is now well documented that Maloney left because he was a sook who didn't get the captains job and nobody at the club thought he was suitable.

We were not in good shape in 2012. We beat useless sides, we had a fitness level that was well below any professional side, the players called the shots not the coach. How is that being in good shape.

If Neeld goes out the door, so will I. Not paying my membership to have my club run by dimwitted boards and players who think they can call the shots. No wonder our club is a joke.

My take is..

At the start of 2012 i thought Melbourne were in really good shape and could seriously start doing some damage in the AFL. Since than, we have seen one game where from start to finish we have dominated. (GWS 2012). In 2011 we did that more than 3 times. From 2011 to 2012 our list barely changed, infact it got stronger, so clearly what was being done was wrong.

It is my belief that Mark Neeld is the reason why Melbourne is suffering, his tactics and coaching has been an absolute cancer to the club. He has not only made the fans suffer but he has made the players suffer. Clearly something is wrong when Brent Moloney wants out, a guy that would absolutely die for the club. His recruiting has been interesting, i like the fact we now have Dawes and Clark. The drafting has been very promising also.

It is of my belief though, it is Neeld NOT THE PLAYERS. Although the players are somewhat to blame, they are not the problem. Clearly the game plan Neeld has adopted is absolute rubbish considering he loves the defensive side of the game. Than why the hell do we concede 100 points each week?????

And yes, i understand we are inexperienced, but for a team with such talent and skill, how do we look like we lack skill every week? it just doesnt make any sense to me. What is also annoying is currently we have Colin Sylvia (SUSPENDED), Jack Grimes, Mitch Clark, soon to be James Frawley, Jack Viney, Jimmy Toumpas, Barely Watts this year and half fit Trengove. It's just hard playing with half a list each week.

My take is that we should bring in a coach who is serious about getting wins with the list we have, not just the future. Because do you want to know something, if you the players get enough wins and some confidence, the future will be real. Rather than planning for a future that never comes, because players hate losing and will just eventually leave. Keep Peter Jackson and for god sake spend some money on a midfielder this year and free agency PLEASE

go dees

I found Chris Dawes comments in last nights Press Conference most interesting i watched them a 2nd time.

He is putting it right back on the playing list.

Make the guy captain today..he will lead.

Review coach at season's end.

Yes i have changed my opinion on the back of these comments.

Neeld's biggest mistake..Making Grimes & Trengove co captains.

Awful strategy..suffocating the poor buggers.

My take is..

go dees

Your post demonstrates the consequential errors that occur from a faulty premise.

You launch by saying our list was ready to cause damage in 2012. That was, and is, incorrect. It follows that everything from that point on is also incorrect.

In 2012, we had the worst midfield in the AFL.

In 2013, we have the worst midfield in the AFL, but Viney and Toumpas at least.

You cannot be successful with the worst midfield in the AFL.

was so impressed with they way our list played yesterday

but after a long drive home and going over the list i came to the conclusion at least 14 of them werent going to get a game at the bottom 6 in most clubs, awful sort of thought to have

but unfortunately some are either lacking skill, height, speed , decision making

pedo for instance looked ok , reality is wont make it in a good list . maybe 24th ranked at most clubs

and when you have 14 of them its so difficult to mould and squeeze wins out of this

just wonder what a supercoach could do with the list

still havent and wont give up

see you at qb

was so impressed with they way our list played yesterday

but after a long drive home and going over the list i came to the conclusion at least 14 of them werent going to get a game at the bottom 6 in most clubs, awful sort of thought to have

but unfortunately some are either lacking skill, height, speed , decision making

pedo for instance looked ok , reality is wont make it in a good list . maybe 24th ranked at most clubs

and when you have 14 of them its so difficult to mould and squeeze wins out of this

just wonder what a supercoach could do with the list

still havent and wont give up

see you at qb

Very true Jazza. I think Neeld should go as it is his responsibility to get some of these blokes up to standard. However, some of them just aren't going to make it. We need a 1998 style clean-out where the criteria isn't 'will you be in our next premiership in 10 years time?'. The criteria should be 'Can you play?' (full stop). For too long, we have picked blokes up who we think will get us to where we need to be in ten years time and experimental players. FFS, stuff all that pie in the sky crap and get some blokes who look likely types.

Wow.

WTF were you expecting a 200 point loss?

no

was looking closely at each player and judged thier ability and chance at improvement

came up with the fact they all played to thier ability and thats it

the list is doing its best and ITS not good enough

end of story

Neeld is the underdog and I want to support him to at least the end of the year, give the guy a go, there are no quick fixes, he has an injury depleted team and no class mids

• Like 2

I believe it is now well documented that Maloney left because he was a sook who didn't get the captains job and nobody at the club thought he was suitable.

We were not in good shape in 2012. We beat useless sides, we had a fitness level that was well below any professional side, the players called the shots not the coach. How is that being in good shape.

If Neeld goes out the door, so will I. Not paying my membership to have my club run by dimwitted boards and players who think they can call the shots. No wonder our club is a joke.

I am referring to 2011 and that i saw a serious future for Melbourne with that.

Your post demonstrates the consequential errors that occur from a faulty premise.

You launch by saying our list was ready to cause damage in 2012. That was, and is, incorrect. It follows that everything from that point on is also incorrect.

In 2012, we had the worst midfield in the AFL.

In 2013, we have the worst midfield in the AFL, but Viney and Toumpas at least.

You cannot be successful with the worst midfield in the AFL.

Well it was, if you look at the talent there and the bonus of Mitch Clark. Do not tell me you didnt sit there saying we are gonna have a crack this year. Because that would just be damn straight lying.

We all thought 2012 was going to be a huge year with great things.

Get off your high horse and admit it

Well it was, if you look at the talent there and the bonus of Mitch Clark. Do not tell me you didnt sit there saying we are gonna have a crack this year. Because that would just be damn straight lying.

You're kidding aren't you ? What in the way we finished 2011 made you think we were destined for "great things" in 2012 ?

I can understand you're disappointed but it seems you've contributed to that disappointment

• Like 1

you know your [censored] when you're happy with a 96 point loss

never said happy with loss

happy that after looking closely at list realised its exactly where it should be

after reading thousands of posts that wish and hope i came to the conclusion its where it should be no wishing no rose coloured glasses

Edited by jazza

What happened to CS flag winning team he wrote down on the napkin, the footy club is an absolute shambles, if Jimmy moved on CS after 186 like he wanted to we wouldn't be in this mess, look what happening at Punt Road when everyone's on the same page, it's not that hard to turn around, we need a good leader, new coach and retain players, and a CEO that doesn't run his own agenda.

What happened to CS flag winning team he wrote down on the napkin, the footy club is an absolute shambles, if Jimmy moved on CS after 186 like he wanted to we wouldn't be in this mess, look what happening at Punt Road when everyone's on the same page, it's not that hard to turn around, we need a good leader, new coach and retain players, and a CEO that doesn't run his own agenda.

Yesterday was a bit of a watershed in one regard mjt. The CEO wasn't sniping at the coach and believe it or not (GASP) went into bat for him to the board! I believe from an outsider's perspective the wrong decision was made yesterday. I believe Neeld needs to go before more damage is done. However, while I might not agree with a decision, I can respect it and it's nice to see that the CEO is treating the coach as an employee rather than a mortal enemy who must be torn down at all costs.

You're kidding aren't you ? What in the way we finished 2011 made you think we were destined for "great things" in 2012 ?

I can understand you're disappointed but it seems you've contributed to that disappointment

Hahaha what a joke, although the finish to 2011 wasnt great.

Everyone was so positive that 2012 would be the big jump up.

New coach, new staff and Mitch Clark.

So transparent some people are

your kidding right. 2011?

holes everywhere, nowhere near good enough for anything, but there was some experience on that list... but little class, & less hardness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Melbourne_Football_Club_season#Squad_for_2011_season

Edited by dee-luded

My take on MFC for the last 2 years is much the same as for the last 15 years.

We have had a woeful off field management. This usually equates to a terrible on field performance.

We are now trying to get the off field in order, the on-field will follow but don't expect miracles o/nite.

Yes we think that keeping Neeld will turn off supporters, but I believe we now have a CEO that has the capabilities

to think clearly and talk to both supporters and sponsors alike and convince them to hang around so that change will see a turn around in the performance of the club.

I had my doubts with Neeld, but you really have to give the guy a decent go. You can write off 2012 he was evaluating the original list. He now has a new list which is 10 rounds old.

He does need more time.

I found Chris Dawes comments in last nights Press Conference most interesting i watched them a 2nd time.

He is putting it right back on the playing list.

Make the guy captain today..he will lead.

Review coach at season's end.

Yes i have changed my opinion on the back of these comments.

Neeld's biggest mistake..Making Grimes & Trengove co captains.

Awful strategy..suffocating the poor buggers.

I agree. he was very impressive. Get the feeling he will have a real impact on his team mates.

The problem lies with the structure of the assistant coaches, and their performance to date:

Defence: Jade Rawlings and Andrew Nichol - doing a good job, especially like Nichols kicking skills in the warm ups before the game and accidentally standing on Jake King. The back line is not our weakest link.

Midfield: Brian Royal and Aaron Greaves - failed

Rucks: Do we have a ruck coach? failed

Forwards: Leigh Brown and Paul Satterley - we have no idea what to do when we have possession going forward because most of the time THERE IS NO ONE THERE - failed

Neeld has a lifeline and he will need the right people in these positions. I think this will be the restructure of the footy department Don McLardy is referring to.

Seriously? Not even one bit. But if people thought that, then no wonder there is such an anti-Neeld sentiment.

Interesting reading these posts and then comparing them with those pre-season. I like many others thought that (midfield aside) we had such a strong list and depth at last that both MFC and Casey would both be firing. Having Hogan at Casey and lacking Clark and Dawes both playing as team is a major setback to our chances. I don't believe that it is Neeld; I think that we all over-estimated the cattle and the coach is always the soft target (now Cs has gone)! Losing Rivers and Moloney also did not help.