• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION

Demonland

how can gillies get a game? seriously, he was shocking in the first couple of games! but then the whole team was :wacko:

I can't recall the Port game all that well. Think i was so annoyed at such a lame opening game....again lol. But 146 I watched closely to see who where up for it. Although you could almost count them on 1 hand, there were a few that could walk off at least saying they had a bit of a dip or alternatively didn't get completely wiped off the park.

From memory Howe, Frawley, Jones, Garland, Grimes and Terlich showed something during small patches of the game. But agreed, most were only there in body on what was (for me) the saddest game i've ever had the displeasure of witnessing.

Yeah the 60 extra points shows me he did a nice job but if he was running around like Scarlett mixed with Enright mixed with Fletcher it might have been less. One good half doesn't = form. As melbourne supporters we are so quick to pick the guy who was best on for Casey and say lets put in back in the team. Magner had VFL form. Couch has VFL form.

Yes Vickery got a few marks and kicks but that's expected when a side has good delivery. He also got a fair few of those touches against Gawn/Jamar in the ruck. But Sellar also spoiled him making good spoils on a few occasions. It's not that I think Sellar is a star but we know Pedersen is no superstar either and if one is in the team going ok why swap him just for the sake of it. It would be just like swapping Magner for Couch (if he was available) now because 20 touches isnt enough.

And after all that Gillies gets the nod. I'm at a loss as to how Gillies deserves a spot ahead of Pedersen.

• Like 1

I have a similar train of thought and actually think it's a positive he's in the squad. I have no doubt he's not going to play this week. Our squad is too top heavy in defence as it is for the Dockers. If he travels and doesn't play he'll have to go back to the VFL the following week to get some match fitness which means we're at least a few weeks from seeing back in a Melbourne jumper.

Stop yelling.

ti0234048.jpg

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

What it says is that Paul Slattery knows nothing about football.

I re read his comments from the Casey Game. How you could pick Gillies over Pedersen beggars belief.

a number of people who saw that game were saying Pedersen was the Best Casey Player and in the top three in the game.

Unbelievable.

OD you more than anyone should know better. We've been serving up this rubbish for decades. And atm we have such little depth at Casey knocking on the door. On your point though i agree. Pedersen showed something last week and had a reasonable game. Can't recall Gillies having any impact.

And after all that Gillies gets the nod. I'm at a loss as to how Gillies deserves a spot ahead of Pedersen.

Just more of the same from the MFC.......

[ youtube ]

[/youtube ]

A new theory..... Gillies is yet to travel with the team and therefore is the emergency to get him used to the Melbourne routine on the road (of genuinely sucking).

You'd think Spencer doesn't travel unless we have an injury to a ruck and Bail and Gillies go as an emerg.

Really though do you think players care about being emerg. Surely is getting picked or not that bothers them

A new theory..... Gillies is yet to travel with the team and therefore is the emergency to get him used to the Melbourne routine on the road (of genuinely sucking).

You'd think Spencer doesn't travel unless we have an injury to a ruck and Bail and Gillies go as an emerg.

Really though do you think players care about being emerg. Surely is getting picked or not that bothers them

They usually take 3 so I think Spencer will go.

Having watched the Casey game i don't think anyone actually earned a promotion, but I guess it's a bit short sighted to think senior selection is based on one game.

I have gone over ever Casey, AFL and Preseason game I can find.

Gillies is never mentioned in the better players, the Casey game at port he had 8 possessions.

The guy is a rolled gold dud.

Pedersen has had good AFL games and and won the VFL award while at North.

I still have no understanding on how he gets picked in the group for the Freo game.

• Like 1

I have gone over ever Casey, AFL and Preseason game I can find.

Gillies is never mentioned in the better players, the Casey game at port he had 8 possessions.

The guy is a rolled gold dud.

Pedersen has had good AFL games and and won the VFL award while at North.

I still have no understanding on how he gets picked in the group for the Freo game.

Clearly he must be the proud new owner of a compromising Selection Committee video tape.

• Like 1

My thoughts with Gillies was that he is selected as the third emergency for several reasons - firstly he is more versitile than Pedersen as he can play small and tall. Secondly, maybe coming back from his injury they thought he might benift from anotehr light weekend not playing VFL, and thirdly, maybe they are taking arisk that Gillies will not have to play and Pedersen can keep working on his game at Casey and push for a recall the following week.

My thoughts with Gillies was that he is selected as the third emergency for several reasons - firstly he is more versitile than Pedersen as he can play small and tall. Secondly, maybe coming back from his injury they thought he might benift from anotehr light weekend not playing VFL, and thirdly, maybe they are taking arisk that Gillies will not have to play and Pedersen can keep working on his game at Casey and push for a recall the following week.

Like all those reasons, and a 4th, how will the poor blokes confidence be if he plays for Casey and Nathan Vardy kicks 6 on him! May as well spare him the indignity.

Our composure with the ball has been a worry and freo are going to put the heat on probably more so than the teams we have played so far, if our work rate isn't what it was against the tigers at least we could get blown away.

• Like 1

Interesting to see what Lyon says about us below on the AFL site. The doomsayers will say he is just saying this to rev up his players. But there is truth in it in my view. If Dawes had not missed a goal just before 3/4 time and the Arrogant One hadn't got one on the siren, we would have been close enough at 3/4 time to have the confidence to perhaps pull off a win. (Yes, the Tigers missed goals, but so what, the score is the score.)

"I flew into Melbourne last week and watched them play.

"They were right in it up to their ears until three-quarter time.

"They pride themselves on the combative side of football, clearances, it was pretty much equal against a really good team (in Richmond).

"They've got some really good hard young runners. If you give them time and space they can slice you up."

Interesting to see what Lyon says about us below on the AFL site. The doomsayers will say he is just saying this to rev up his players. But there is truth in it in my view. If Dawes had not missed a goal just before 3/4 time and the Arrogant One hadn't got one on the siren, we would have been close enough at 3/4 time to have the confidence to perhaps pull off a win. (Yes, the Tigers missed goals, but so what, the score is the score.)

"They pride themselves on the combative side of football, clearances, it was pretty much equal against a really good team (in Richmond).

"They've got some really good hard young runners. If you give them time and space they can slice you up."

I don't give it much weight to be fair. Coaches do this every week no matter who the opponent. Richmond were never going to lose that game, and one week where we competed suddenly makes us a proudly combative side? I wonder if the Bombers would describe us as "combative".

Lyon will have percentage in his sights this week.

I don't give it much weight to be fair. Coaches do this every week no matter who the opponent. Richmond were never going to lose that game, and one week where we competed suddenly makes us a proudly combative side? I wonder if the Bombers would describe us as "combative".

Lyon will have percentage in his sights this week.

That's great by Ross to say these things about the team.

Maybe he can spare a half hour in our rooms before the bounce?

• Like 3

That's great by Ross to say these things about the team.

Maybe he can spare a half hour in our rooms before the bounce?

Can't hurt. I certainly feel a bit better about our side after reading that. It's fun to pretend.

Maybe we can get him to write up on the whiteboard: "Mistakes DO matter!"

• Like 1

A certain Dennis Pagan quote springs to mind

"I flew into Melbourne last week and watched them play. -This is likely true

"They were right in it up to their ears until three-quarter time. - What happened to the last team we were within 3 goals of at 3/4 time haha

"They pride themselves on the combative side of football, clearances, it was pretty much equal against a really good team (in Richmond). = Well Richmond should've beaten Freo at Freo but had a few out against us including Maric who's vital for them and Newman

"They've got some really good hard young runners. If you give them time and space they can slice you up." Hard runners = Jones, Jones, Evans and Terlich, stuff the rest. And Time and space well that's Davey, besides no team is bad enough to give us time and space besides a last quarter stuffed GWS

But he's a nice bloke Ross! And would've said all this with his mainly asleep look on his face.

besides no team is bad enough to give us time and space besides a last quarter stuffed GWS

Not directing this at TM in particular since the above is a common comment:

Yes, the team is no good, but I think some posters wouldn't know what to do with themselves if we were good. How about taking some hope that we were able to kick a record(!) score against GWS in that last quarter. Why was GWS so especially stuffed in the last quarter against us rather than against other teams? Why were we able to take so much advantage of them when other teams heading towards the finals must be more desperate for percentage than us? I'm sure a lot of reasons will be offered, but I doubt they will add up to much. I repeat " How about taking some hope that we were able to kick a record(!) score against GWS in that last quarter."

• Like 1

I am furious Strauss has been dropped. He's kept Nahas to 8 disposals. Neeld talks about getting our younger crew up to 100 games.

And if he's worried about overloading on small defenders, we can all see Nicholson should be the first to go.

I am furious Strauss has been dropped. He's kept Nahas to 8 disposals. Neeld talks about getting our younger crew up to 100 games.

And if he's worried about overloading on small defenders, we can all see Nicholson should be the first to go.

I understand why Strauss was dropped... He plays Watts' position. But i too am mad that he was dropped, he is a good user of the ball and in my eyes, had played some decent games of football. Dropping Nicholson or Jetta and playing Strauss as a small defender would have been the better option IMO. Watts forward is an option, but he too is a good user and we need good usage out of the backline ATM.

Strauss very unlucky to be dropped, he will be back soon you'd suspect.

• Like 1