Changes v Suns

Dannyz

Mate, i really hope he is! we're trying to build a culture where hard work brings you reward, he has been probably in the top 3 players at casey every week, he is a mid and he is exactly what we need to remain competitive while our captains and mitch are out,

it's baffling why they haven't elevated him at this point, unless they want to spring a surprise on someone.

not really,,,,, on first impressions it is, but when it doesn't happen, I tend to look again at why he may make this call... thats what you do if you respect the person who is making the decisions.

He, imo, may be thinks that all the rookies have more improvement in them they haven't dug down to Yet.

If he thinks 'Magner' still has more to find, deep down in his character, maybe he's keeping the pressure on him,,, & the other rookies to bring It.

.. all I know is neeld is doing the hard stuff that softer coaches haven't got the 'Spine' to commit to.

.. and In my opinion, placing a High Value on the Jumper is crucial, & has been sadly lacking for over 8 years...

not really,,,,, on first impressions it is, but when it doesn't happen, I tend to look again at why he may make this call... thats what you do if you respect the person who is making the decisions.

He, imo, may be thinks that all the rookies have more improvement in them they haven't dug down to Yet.

If he thinks 'Magner' still has more to find, deep down in his character, maybe he's keeping the pressure on him,,, & the other rookies to bring It.

.. all I know is neeld is doing the hard stuff that softer coaches haven't got the 'Spine' to commit to.

.. and In my opinion, placing a High Value on the Jumper is crucial, & has been sadly lacking for over 8 years...

I agree, but right now our midfield is very light on, surely one more bigger body wouldn't hurt our chances of at least competing?

Keep playing Jimmy T down at Casey. Another two or three weeks. If he earns a call up, he earns a call up. Meanwhile, Fitzy has earned his recall and Dawes will be a welcome addition.

People saying Jamar is our best ruckman are kidding themselves. He can't tap past his feet. Offers absolutely nothing around the ground. It's like having 17 players out there when he plays. Spencer provides a contest around the ground and taps to advantage. It's no coincidence that our midfield were far more competitive in the stoppages last week without Jamar. Clark is our most talented ruckman, but Gawn is number one for me now. Clark as back up, with Spencer has number two. Jamar's finished.

• Like 1

Keep playing Jimmy T down at Casey. Another two or three weeks. If he earns a call up, he earns a call up. Meanwhile, Fitzy has earned his recall and Dawes will be a welcome addition.

People saying Jamar is our best ruckman are kidding themselves. He can't tap past his feet. Offers absolutely nothing around the ground. It's like having 17 players out there when he plays. Spencer provides a contest around the ground and taps to advantage. It's no coincidence that our midfield were far more competitive in the stoppages last week without Jamar. Clark is our most talented ruckman, but Gawn is number one for me now. Clark as back up, with Spencer has number two. Jamar's finished.

If Spencer was doing the things Jamar does every week, you'd be hailing him as the second coming. The fact that Jamar has been around for so long make us judge him more harshly.

Until Spence actually overtakes Jamar in output, I'd stick with the latter. For now I think his biggest failing is that when he loses a tap-out, he loses it convincingly; he cost us a couple of goals on the weekend by allowing Warnock to tap it straight down the throat of guys like Marc Murphy.

I see Spencer's speed and potential, but Jamar is certainly ahead of him still.

• Like 2

Spence was beaten 44 to 18 in hitouts by Warnock.............Gawn was beaten 16 to 12 by Hampson.........Jamar has much better stats than both of these players.......and usually wins at bounces .......Unfortunatly we don't have the midfielders to take it away.....

• Like 1

Jamar is a dumb footballer. The hit outs he wins are either straight to the opposition, much like Warnock's last week, or at his feet, usually ending up with Nathan Jones being tackled and a reset. In modern footy you cannot carry a player who does not work around the ground. Jamar isn't always lazy, but when he's trying, he's still painfully slow and for a bloke who's played almost a decade of footy, he looses his feet far too easily.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Big Charlie is out for the Suns. Big win for us.. he has been good so far this year

Does this mean sellar and Davis won't play as in theory there won't be three talls now?

The first thing for a ruckman is to get first hand to the ball. The second is if you can't don't let them get a clean one. No disrespect to Pencil or Gawn but look at the hit out count and hit out to advantage for Carlton last week and then try and justify that Jamar is not clearly our number one ruck. Jamar has his faults and Gawn in particular shows fine promise but the two boys should still develop as our number 2. Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 2

Id have Spencer in the team ahead of Jamar every day of the week

For one he actually tackles and competes

I would like to see Spence play a number of games in a row. Give him some consistency at this level. As HH implied Jake is a competitive unit and can only get better

We know what Jamar can offer, he is a known quantity

• Like 1

I would like to see Spence play a number of games in a row. Give him some consistency at this level. As HH implied Jake is a competitive unit and can only get better

We know what Jamar can offer, he is a known quantity

Jamar isn't going to be in our next side that plays finals, spence might be so to me it makes no sense picking jamar over him

• Like 2

Jamar isn't going to be in our next side that plays finals, spence might be so to me it makes no sense picking jamar over him

It's shades of Jeff White, Jolly and Simmonds all over again.

Let's hope we hold on to the right one this time around.

Edited by LegsLeoncelli

It's shades of Jeff White, Jolly and Symonds all over again.

Let's hope we hold on to the right one this time around.

Geez we were all right at spitting out good ruckmen, they've all been All Australian at one stage correct?

Because creating a culture where our future isn't just given a red carpet ride is very important.

Because creating a culture where our future isn't just given a red carpet ride is very important.

That's alright, but from all reports spencer has been dominating at VFL level?

Jamar is a dumb footballer. The hit outs he wins are either straight to the opposition, much like Warnock's last week, or at his feet, usually ending up with Nathan Jones being tackled and a reset. In modern footy you cannot carry a player who does not work around the ground. Jamar isn't always lazy, but when he's trying, he's still painfully slow and for a bloke who's played almost a decade of footy, he looses his feet far too easily.

I think he works hard Adam but just isn't able to stay with the pace anymore other than when he's resting forward. Can still take the occasional grab and goal. I'd be playing him there as resting ruckman more often if he has to be played, along with Gawn. Not sure about Spencer just yet but worth seeing a few more games at this level.

And you're correct. Rush is getting bowled over in the ruck contests far too often now. Might be an indicator that the end isn't all that far away i'm afraid. There were at least 2 classic examples of this in the first quarter against the Lions when Leaunberger (or however you spell it) jumped over him for the hit out and he lost his feet allowing quick clearances i50. Definitelly resulted in the first goal to Brown (Trengove's poor marking on Beamer didn't help either).and possibly 1 other goal later in the quarter.

Edited by Rusty Nails

I agree, but right now our midfield is very light on, surely one more bigger body wouldn't hurt our chances of at least competing?

well I did agree with you. I thought Magner was a sure thing but it seems I was not on the page that the selectors are on.

But I didn't see Sylvia, & even NJones as major ball magnets, or MJones as well, not yet I don't anyway.... But I see someone wrote; we have won a lot of inside ball over the last week or so, so the trend maybe swinging...

So the footy dept obviously will be way ahead of us in knowing right up to date where things are at.

We certainly don't want to sacrifice any ability to spread or get to contests, by losing needed run & speed or endurence.

I believe this Footy dept knows whats its doing, finally we have one to believe in.

• Like 1

well I did agree with you. I thought Magner was a sure thing but it seems I was not on the page that the selectors are on.

But I didn't see Sylvia, & even NJones as major ball magnets, or MJones as well, not yet I don't anyway.... But I see someone wrote; we have won a lot of inside ball over the last week or so, so the trend maybe swinging...

So the footy dept obviously will be way ahead of us in knowing right up to date where things are at.

We certainly don't want to sacrifice any ability to spread or get to contests, by losing needed run & speed or endurence.

I believe this Footy dept knows whats its doing, finally we have one to believe in.

It's nice isn't it wouldn't be surprised if Terlich spends more time in the middle for another solid body against the suns

I might be wrong but I thought that the function of the LTIL was to enable a club, disadvantaged by injury, to supplement its Playing List, to bring the state of play back to a notional 'square'. It would seem to me a great waste of many people's time to go through the formalities of AFL approval and then to play one short from a selection POV.

I just cannot see in any sense in the arrangement.

I might be wrong but I thought that the function of the LTIL was to enable a club, disadvantaged by injury, to supplement its Playing List, to bring the state of play back to a notional 'square'. It would seem to me a great waste of many people's time to go through the formalities of AFL approval and then to play one short from a selection POV.I just cannot see in any sense in the arrangement.

Really? Well you are wrong. A number of clubs do this and your logic is very flawed. Why nominate someone who your not certain to play meaning you have actually given the 'spot' on the list to 1 rookie rather than keeping all your rookie list options open until you are certain to play one. It actually gives them more to choose from, not less.

Some of you are just too keen to stick the boots in without using any grey matter whatsoever.

And for those that think Magner is a certainty, this isn't his first year dominating VFL & he'd be a fringe AFL player at any AFL club. Doesn't mean I don't hope he becomes a gun AFL player, my personal belief is he will still make it, and I hope everyone on our list makes it, but not all will, including some of our favourites. Couch, who has also been consistently very good at Casey is also still in the running right now & maybe they'd like to keep MORE options open & see over the next few weeks who can elevate themselves to even greater heights to make that spot his own? But to see this decision as a 'disadvantage' at the selection table shows a complete lack of knowledge or brains and an eagerness to trash our footy department at every and any chance possible. Typical demonland garbage....

Edited by thevil1