NO FIRE IN THE BELLY

Demonland

Yeah that's were the comparison doesn't quite stack up, at least with Clark out that's for sure! But my main point is that confidence doesn't have to come from your best or most experienced players. Can come from anywhere.

I agree with that much. And I think Neeld is hoping work rate and courage comes from lesser lights as well. I think a lot of that was behind his list management decisions at the start of the year.

Bit like how Richmond rose up from rubbish on the back of riewiodt starring, a bit of Martin brilliance and Cotchin being the worker.

I like this piece of your post a lot. Still reminds all how important a quality midfield is. Martin and Deledio are really good players and Cotchin is great. It's with this the likes of Houli, Edwards and Houli can lift a notch also. If these last three were picked up by us they would also struggle and look useless. But when they are the 4th, 5th & 6th best midfielders they are mutton dressed as lamb.

It really scares me the lack of quality, experience and depth in our midfield.

Is it wrong I am already counting the days again to draft/trade/free agency time?

• Like 2

It really scares me the lack of quality, experience and depth in our midfield.

It is confusing and shocking. After more high draft picks than any other club in the last 6-7 years (maybe bar expansion teams) we still have an absolutely pathetic midfield. Worst in the league. Unarguably. With forwards out injured this week, it's going to be ugly 100+ ugly. I just hope the boys put up some form of fight and keep it under 100 points. It's sad that it's come to hoping to lose by less than 100 points. I should be hoping to win!

Edited by Lord Travis

It is confusing and shocking. After more high draft picks than any other club in the last 6-7 years (maybe bar expansion teams) we still have an absolutely pathetic midfield. Worst in the league. Unarguably. With forwards out injured this week, it's going to be ugly 100+ ugly. I just hope the boys put up some form of fight and keep it under 100 points. It's sad that it's come to hoping to lose by less than 100 points. I should be hoping to win!

And it's not all that bad on paper, just shocking development, injuries and other setbacks, a combination of bad luck and horrible managing of players.

like the confidence but I see one of our biggest problems is we have no star to help the competitive guys. It's one reason I think eventually we can get better really quickly once we get Clark, Dawes and Hogan firing up forward. It gives us weapons that will inspire everyone else. Bit like how Richmond rose up from rubbish on the back of riewiodt starring, a bit of Martin brilliance and Cotchin being the worker.

Failing that we find 5 freaks and start up version 2 of phi slama jama

The thing about Richmond is they found a midfield. We're not going anywhere this season or next unless we unearth/trade for some genuine ball winners. If we can, then I've got genuine hope that we can turn this around, given solid structures and work rate.

Edited by AdamFarr

Dunn must be the biggest yo yo. What's the story with him? Watts has more potential and class. Jamar is injured along with Watts? Both would play if available. Gawn. Last year Neeld had a brainwave to make Rivers NBT as a full forward. Is Neeld doing the same with Gawn? Gawn's strength is his precision tap ruck work and has never kicked bags of goals . Will he be dropped when Jamar returns? Put him first ruck option.

The thing about Richmond is they found a midfield. We're not going anywhere this season or next unless we unearth/trade for some genuine ball winners. If we can, then I've got genuine hope that we can turn this around, given solid structures and work rate.

im ever the optimist as we much be but Cotchin was the face and Martin the X factor but really Richmond midfield improved due to weight of numbers. Tuck got good, grigg, Jackson and other lesser names contributed as much.

But on weight of numbers I really see Trengove, Evans, Viney, Blease, Toumpas, Matt Jones and Mckenzie getting better next year than the interrupted starts to this year. I don't see them getting worse. Find a bargain somewhere else and we might have enough just to compete in the midfield. We compete in the midfield and the fortunes of this team change I really believe it. We've got too much talent forward and back to not be a decent team.

• Like 2

And it's not all that bad on paper, just shocking development, injuries and other setbacks, a combination of bad luck and horrible managing of players.

Demo fan 26

Not necessarily. Melbourne can really push Carlton. Blues haven't got loads of Talls to kill us. Blease might be a good match up on either of the obvious Blues speedsters.

Sad to see Davey now. Not a shadow of his former self.

Unrelated somewhat but interesting to see GWS omitted Ohalpin?

im ever the optimist as we much be but Cotchin was the face and Martin the X factor but really Richmond midfield improved due to weight of numbers. Tuck got good, grigg, Jackson and other lesser names contributed as much.

But on weight of numbers I really see Trengove, Evans, Viney, Blease, Toumpas, Matt Jones and Mckenzie getting better next year than the interrupted starts to this year. I don't see them getting worse. Find a bargain somewhere else and we might have enough just to compete in the midfield. We compete in the midfield and the fortunes of this team change I really believe it. We've got too much talent forward and back to not be a decent team.

Possible. McKenzie...not sure

Dunn must be the biggest yo yo. What's the story with him? Watts has more potential and class. Jamar is injured along with Watts? Both would play if available. Gawn. Last year Neeld had a brainwave to make Rivers NBT as a full forward. Is Neeld doing the same with Gawn? Gawn's strength is his precision tap ruck work and has never kicked bags of goals . Will he be dropped when Jamar returns? Put him first ruck option.

Dunn's coming back from injury to play and hopefully cement the half back flank third tall spot that he was sent to play when rivers went forward last year. He likes to take the game on and is a raking kick. Has all physical tools needed.

I think Neeld would love to have Gawn starting ruck if he had a decent forward available. With Dawes and Fitzy judged not ready it's Spencer in as only option. Spencer is bad as a forward so the need comes for him to ruck and Gawn to play forward.

Next week presuming Jamar isn't fit and Spencer doesn't play really well it should be Dawes in, pedersen back up ruck and Gawn first ruck.

The club also don't want to kill Gawn by making him ruck 90% of a game

Possible. McKenzie...not sure

talent wise he might not improve but in terms of output I don't think his injury free now and hasn't had a good start to the year. Having him fit will at least create competition. Same for blease, trengove, Viney. We know Evans is a player now. Toumpas better with a preseason.

I agree that if our midfield can become competitive, we'd be starting to look a lot better. Cotchin and Martin are genuine midfield talents though. That's two more than we have. I think players like Trengove, potentially Grimes, Viney with games under his belt and say a Matt Jones could take the step up if they had a Cotchin next to Nathan Jones. We have to get that Cotchin and fast.

Edited by AdamFarr

and lets not forget the midfielder we get with pick 1 or 2 this November draft

Lets just hope we have a new coach and footy department by then, who know how to develop kids

Ive taken us at the line which is +59.5...not bad I reckon.

Unrelated somewhat but interesting to see GWS omitted Ohalpin?

Injured - I seem to recall reading somewhere.

Dunn dominated last week at Casey, and deserves, at least, his chance. Not sure about Blease, still runs hot and cold. Though the hot is very good. Fitness?

Just got to hold on to the blokes like James Frawley, Possibly another couple of good draft picks coming at the end of the year, free agency and all that we will have a chance to set up our midfield for the future

I think that Gawn is being eased in to the game to reduce the stress on his Hamstring and to give him match fitness.

• Like 1

Nicholson is the bane of my MFC supporting existence.

Must be the name ??? Remember Alistair ??? Same brush !! Almost same ability ,... Toss up I reckon

Only one was dropped, Rodan.

Jamar... Groin ????? Really ?? The usual "injury" excuse to drop an out of form player.