Round 2: Team Selection and Match Ups

Philthy

Start him on the wing & make him run hard all day. He has the attributes to be a good wingman & really just needs to add some hardness to his game. I also think the selection panel has been selecting a team that is too tall. On Sunday they had Clark, Sellar, Pedersen, Jamar, Watts, Gillies, Frawley,Sellar & Garland. They could probably drop Gillies & Sellar from that list & add some running players. IMO we wouldn't lose much by dropping those guys. Based on the Casey game bringing in Terlich & Kent would add some run & aggression at least.

Terlich, Kent & Jetta would have to be walk ups. Tommy Mc if fit to go.

Edited by rjay

Fb - garlann-McDonald-tapscott

Hb - terlich-frawley-Dunn

C - blease-grimes-toumpas

Hf -Sylvia-watts-trengove

Ff -davey-Clarke-Howe

Fol -jamar-jones-mckenzie

Int- viney-Kent-jetta-m.jones

Why play nqr's like gillies, pederson, seller, rodan and Byrnes when we have young talent.

Neeld is a goose. He thinks footy is an exam.

This is a team that is tough down back, skilled up forward and quick and strong thru the guts.

I reckon it is a pretty good team. If only neeld could get them to play properley. They should just tell him to get fcuked and go out and have some serious fun. Crank up ac/dc in the changerooms and play some kamakzi footy. You never know, we might blow sides away.

With Neeld telling us what's happening this week in his HUN interview today, let's focus our attention on filling the blanks.

In: Trengove, McDonald, Terlich, one other

Out: Dunn (purportedly injured. I disagree), three others.

McDonald for Gillies?

SELECTION

SOMETIMES you throw the challenge at the same group and don't make changes. Other times the performance is so unacceptable changes are needed.

Neeld is a latter-type coach. He will make four changes, and will only say that Lynden Dunn is out with a hamstring strain. Into the side will come skipper Jack Trengove, Tom McDonald, debutant Dean Terlich, a running half-back, and one other.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/melbourne-coach-mark-neeld-outlines-how-he-picked-up-his-players-following-the-round-1-disaster/story-e6frf9mf-1226612018828

SELECTION

SOMETIMES you throw the challenge at the same group and don't make changes. Other times the performance is so unacceptable changes are needed.

Neeld is a latter-type coach. He will make four changes, and will only say that Lynden Dunn is out with a hamstring strain. Into the side will come skipper Jack Trengove, Tom McDonald, debutant Dean Terlich, a running half-back, and one other.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/melbourne-coach-mark-neeld-outlines-how-he-picked-up-his-players-following-the-round-1-disaster/story-e6frf9mf-1226612018828

Yes, that's what I was referring to. He also said "there are roles that have to be played. There were a couple of cases where players knew exactly what their role was, and we saw none of it."

McDonald for Dunn

Terlich for Gillies

Trengove for Tapscott?

One other - don't know. More support up forward? Clark's ankle would be a concern in restricting his movement. But most of the corrections need to happen in the back line and midfield.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. He also said "there are roles that have to be played. There were a couple of cases where players knew exactly what their role was, and we saw none of it."

I posted it earlier but it got lost in the great Demonland crash of 2013... Just thought I'd add it back in as backup to what you were saying

McDonald for Dunn

Terlich for Gillies

Trengove for Tapscott?

One other - don't know. More support up forward? Clark's ankle would be a concern in restricting his movement. But most of the corrections need to happen in the back line and midfield.

Jetta for Nicho would be my guess as the 4th change.

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1

After what Neeld said my guess is:

In: Trengove, Terlich, McDonald and Jetta.

Out: Dunn, Nicholson, Tapscott and Sellar.

Swap Sellar for Pedo and I reckon you're on the money. He did say in the article he wouldn't say if Pedo was playing or not, but he has said Terlich is a definite in and Dunn is a definite out (injured), so sounds to me like he's trying to not throw Pedo to the wolves in the media as such, but I reckon come tonight he won't be named, well maybe in the squad but he won't play.

official team:

B: Tom Gillies, James Frawley, Dean Terlich

HB: Jack Watts, Tom McDonald, Colin Garland

C: Jack Grimes, Jack Viney, Matt Jones

HF: Sam Blease, James Sellar, Jeremy Howe

F: Colin Sylvia, Mitch Clark, Shannon Byrnes

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Jordie McKenzie, Nathan Jones

I/C: Jimmy Toumpas, Jack Trengove, Daniel Nicholson, Aaron Davey

EMG: David Rodan, Cam Pedersen, Jake Spencer

IN: Aaron Davey, Dean Terlich, Jack Trengove, Tom McDonald

OUT: Lynden Dunn (hamstring), David Rodan, Luke Tapscott, Cam Pedersen

Unbelievable selection for me.

Toumpas is not ready, that was painfully obvious. Nicholson was horrible. Rodan actually gave us something in the first half unlike others.

Bizarre. I'm happy with the in's, not with the out's though.

Unbelievable selection for me.

Toumpas is not ready, that was painfully obvious. Nicholson was horrible. Rodan actually gave us something in the first half unlike others.

Bizarre. I'm happy with the in's, not with the out's though.

Agreed would have droped Toumpas for Jetta/Strauss and kept Tappy for some much needed grunt

Would've liked to have seen Jetta, and I'm glad Nicholson wasn't dropped. I wish we had the playing resources to drop guys like James Frawley but we simply don't.

All in all it's about what I expected. Rodan will be feeling pretty down on himself that he got dropped straight after playing his old team against whom he wanted to prove he still had "it."

Would've liked to have seen Jetta, and I'm glad Nicholson wasn't dropped. I wish we had the playing resources to drop guys like James Frawley but we simply don't.

All in all it's about what I expected. Rodan will be feeling pretty down on himself that he got dropped straight after playing his old team against whom he wanted to prove he still had "it."

Cannot believe Gillies is still in the team... he was a shocker. Glad Pederson is out - far too lazy
  • Like 1

Cannot believe Gillies is still in the team... he was a shocker. Glad Pederson is out - far too lazy

Oh yeah. Forgot about Gillies. Wow was he bad.

IN: Jetta, OUT: Gillies would be good.

Edited by Chook

Agreed would have droped Toumpas for Jetta/Strauss and kept Tappy for some much needed grunt

Where was this grunt that Tapscott offers last week. He was very poor and deserves to be dropped. I agree Toumpas didn't provide much but he ran to space which is more than most and I support the idea of not dropping guys after their first game. They ned the chance once the nerves have gone to apply what they learnt.

• Like 1

Keep Toumpas in there. He will be better off for the run. He is the future and cant expect him to walk in and play like Viney does.

Pederson I would have kept. I know he did the drop the head but he was actually ok. Even if we used him as a sub.

Rodan I thought was harsh however with Trengove coming back I get the move. Rapt to see Tom back. He just makes the backline look better.

Glad to see Blease in the 18.

The thing is on paper our team looks pretty good.